The "known" Corsair HX Series problems?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
Interesting.

I'm having a bios save problem. I'm not sure if this is related or not.

One of the features of my board is the ability to save 7 (I can't remember the actual number. Someone with my board want to chime in?) different BIOS profiles. I'm not able to save any at all.

I can save my BIOS in general. That is, if I set the fsb to 300, save, exit, and reboot, the computer will boot at 300 fsb. The problem I have is saving the actual bios as a profile.

I haven't done anything about it because it's not that a big deal, but if this is an actual fault of the PSU, then that's a whole 'nother story.
The actual problem has not been identified but we are still working with ABIT on it. One of their FAEs suggested that we advise people to remove their floppy drive from the system (if they have one of course) and see if that helped the issue.

Also, the ABIT IN9 32X MAX board had a very small number of boards with the same type of issue that you are describing back in about FEB or MAR 2007. It required an RMA. You may also want to post at the ABIT forums if you want to pursue this. If you believe the PSU is at fault, we'll happily replace it for you. Just let me know what I can do to help.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I don't have an ABIT board.

My motherboard is in my sig. The revision is F4.

Besides this save function, is there anything else wrong with the PSU?

This problem doesn't bother me and I'd hate to RMA it.

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
I don't have an ABIT board.

My motherboard is in my sig. The revision is F4.

Besides this save function, is there anything else wrong with the PSU?

This problem doesn't bother me and I'd hate to RMA it.
Oh, I missed your MOBO in your signature. Since this thread is about ABIT boards I assumed you had one also.

Saving bios settings has absolutely nothing to do with the PSU. You may have a bad CMOS battery. If it is not that, you may have a bad MOBO. If your system is otherwise running well, I would not expect it to have anything to do with the PSU.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Yoxxy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...9002&Tpk=corsair%2b620

But, how can this happen it has 5 eggs? I was reading in another thread by Serpent that parts with 5 eggs were always the best!

I am currently running 6 of these psu's at work.

1 on Maximus Formula,
1 on Maximus Extreme,
3 on P5W64,
1 on IP35-E.

Now besides the IP35-E being the crappiest board of the 4, it works very well.

You should not experience any problems.

Serpent, what is it exactly you are trying to prove now days?

you have to be kidding......right?

5 eggs? even if it had 100eggs I would never trust anything the Egg allowed to be put in there own customer comments section.

You really have to be goofy if you actually use the customer comments and the newEgg ratings to help you make a PSU purchase!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You know Johnny has given all the Antec`s that he has reviewed very favorable ratings!

In fact it was those reviews that changed my opinion on the quality of the newer Antec PSU`s!

Yet at the same time......

I have never known the Corsair line of products to have any glaring problems ever......did I say Ever? Well it`s true!

That cannot be said about the earlier Antec PSU`s.

So far Antec has finally got it right once again!!

Peace!

Tangman85

Oct 13, 2007
Complete success, I didn't do anything with the memory, installed => Settings by SPD and now 4sticks @ DDr 816MHz dual channel.
The PSU is so silent I thought people were kidding when they spoke about it before :p

Corsair delivers once again, you better stop being so good or I'll have to marry you!

mjavid

Aug 20, 2007
I have used my HX-620 with a DP35DP and currently with IP35Pro, Bios v 10, MB ver 1.0.
Absolutely no problems and a rock solid PSU in my opinion.

M Javid

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
SerpentRoyal, yes it crossed his bench, it scored a 9 and a jonnyGURU recommended:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=51

They are good units for sure.

But as far as this "problem" with the Corsair units, OK some people might have some problems with compatibility. You know what? Sometimes that happens, things don't like each other. I seem to remember the NeoHE didn't get along with some boards either. I put an Enhance ENP-5140GH in my bro's computer and it wouldn't do a darn thing, just do a quick flick on-off....on-off......on-off..... Put a different PSU in, worked fine, put the Enhance in a different PC, works fine. Just really random, who knows what the problem was. PSU and mobo hated each other I guess.

So I don't think it is a flaw with the Corsair units per se, just some random PC parts hating each other. Apparently some of the abit boards decided to hate Corsair's guts, oh well.

His sample performs very close to my $30 unit from Fry's (minus the plastic deflector). The PSU is inside my Antec SLK3000B, so there's no point for aesthetic. The same with the cable. I can stuff the un-used wires above the PSU. Final score 9.7.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: SerpentRoyal
SerpentRoyal, yes it crossed his bench, it scored a 9 and a jonnyGURU recommended:

But as far as this "problem" with the Corsair units, OK some people might have some problems with compatibility. You know what? Sometimes that happens, things don't like each other. I seem to remember the NeoHE didn't get along with some boards either. I put an Enhance ENP-5140GH in my bro's computer and it wouldn't do a darn thing, just do a quick flick on-off....on-off......on-off..... Put a different PSU in, worked fine, put the Enhance in a different PC, works fine. Just really random, who knows what the problem was. PSU and mobo hated each other I guess.

So I don't think it is a flaw with the Corsair units per se, just some random PC parts hating each other. Apparently some of the abit boards decided to hate Corsair's guts, oh well.

His sample performs very close to my $30 unit from Fry's (minus the plastic deflector). The PSU is inside my Antec SLK3000B, so there's no point for aesthetic. The same with the cable. I can stuff the un-used wires above the PSU. Final score 9.7.

How does this have anything to do with the original post, serpent?

You have become an incredible troll, interjecting your agenda into every post you have.

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007

You have become an incredible troll, interjecting your agenda into every post you have.

Do I get under your skin? Perhaps you may want to report my activity to a MOD.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005

Do I get under your skin? Perhaps you may want to report my activity to a MOD.

I as well as a few other members already have.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Well, here is a case for you...

I've been assembling a system for a couple of weeks. Until this morning, this is what it consisted of:

Abit IP35E
Pentium Dual Core 2160
2gb Crucial Ballistix 5-5-5-12
BFG 7600GT video card
ASUS TV Tuner
2x Seagate IDE HDDs
1x Samsung DVD Burner
Seasonic SuperTornado 400 W PSU

It has worked flawlessly for me for over 2 weeks. Last weekend, I ordered the Corsair HX520 from ZZF, it arrived on Wednesday, but I couldn't install it until 8am this morning (had the day off, was going to play on my new system all day!)

The install of the new PSU went fine, nothing else on system changed. Put it together, fired it up and...nothing. I get both the red and green light on mobo (good), all fans and drives spin up (good), keyboard responds (good), NO video signal (bad). HMMMM, maybe plug in my old 6600GT to see if that works...same result.

Clear Cmos, take out one stick of memory...same result.

I put my old Seasonic back in, and I get same result. Still working with it though. Could be coincidence, but I doubt it. Just so you know, I'm not a noob builder, I've constructed about 3 dozen systems over the last 2-3 years without a single problem that I couldn't figure out. Maybe I'm due though!

I go to Abit Forums and find 2 similar examples (though I think both were Antec PSU)...same description of symptoms. And now this thread (though I admit, I'm the first one here to post the problem).

I'm not out to say "this PSU sucks", but I am here to say "If you own Abit IP35 series, don't be surprised". I bought the HX520 due to the many excellent reviews and Corsairs good name. If I have to get a new mobo, I'll probably buy something besides the IP35E so I can keep the PSU. I'm not here to trash anything. There does seem to be something at least a little moldy in Denmark though.

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
See my reply at Abit IP35-E forum. Keep in mind that there are also reports of no POST with Asus board. The Corsair rep said 20 confirmed cases, but I think the actual number is much much higher. Please keep us informed with your test.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Serpent, do you have a problem with Corsair? Seems to me you like bashing them for even minor stuff. What gives?

Sounds like that particular mobo doesn't like certain PSUs. Not going to fault the PSU for that. Like I said earlier, my bro's mobo hates the Enhance PSU we tried to use. Does that mean Enhance is bad? No, it means his board is funky, since the Enhance works in every other system I put it in. One of those "wth" type things but oh well.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
How does his comment sound like bashing? He never said it's Corsair's problem, did he? Let's find out what's going on instead of accusing someone of having an "anti Corsair" agenda...that even sounds dumb.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Bonesdad
How does his comment sound like bashing? He never said it's Corsair's problem, did he? Let's find out what's going on instead of accusing someone of having an "anti Corsair" agenda...that even sounds dumb.

It is not so much an ant-corsair agenda as it is him pimping the Abit IP35 boards and blaming every single problem on other components. I have no problem with a simple recomendation, but when every post of his is riddled with these comments, I do tend to get a bit anoyed, as many others have.

"Buy IP35-E + E2160, 9 Dollar HP ram after rebate"

"You did something wrong then, my board works fine." (Wow, that is scientific)

"You have bad ram, OCZ Sucks" (Uhm... sure...)

"Your PSU is the problem, known issue with the Corsair Series" (Right...)

"Mine runs just fine at this temperature, so yours is too high, and you obviously did something wrong" (Couldn't possibly be anything else, could it?)

"Buy a 80mm fan and point it at the MOSFETs" (Didn't work... Oh, I did something wrong then? Damn... That sucks)

Just, I mean, seriously... Go read.. the guy is robotic in his replies, he leaves no possibility to Abit having certain issues and truly must believe in his head he is infallable. He is one of those people who cannot seem to accept or deal with the fact that he may not have an answer for everything. Just starting reading his posts... He will blame EVERYTHING else if a user has a problem with the motherboard.

He tried to deny that the PWM runs hot on these boards... Yet, go search "DS3R High PWM" or some varient and are they any search results on google? Nope... But, do "IP35-E High PWM" and you will have plenty, plenty of information and other people running into the same problem.

Trust me, unless you are his friend, you can be sure a LOT of users on this forum are noticing his behavior.

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Let's see...you claimed that your PWM temp hits 100C when others were running 62C with GO 6600 quad @ 3.7GHz (same board). After days of fumbling, you put a fan on the PWM circuits and the temp went down to the 70s. I told you from day one that you had inadequate air flow at the PWM region. Your reply was that you have a SUPER DUPER case with a bunch of 120mm fans. If you put a drop of oil at the right place, then the noise will disappear.

Q6600 with B3 stepping = Barn burner. If the CPU wants more current from the output devices, then the PWM temp will rise. Without cold air passing over the heat sink, the PWM temp can approach 100C. Explain to me why the MB is at fault?

You also try to blame the board for your high CPU temp. After lapping the heat spreader and CPU cooler, the temp went down. Explain to me why the MB is at fault?

IP35-E is an excellent board. Yes, there are confirmed reports about bad solder joints at SATA ports. I believe this is a QC issue from a batch of IP35-E. Its low price makes it a prime target for noob overclockers.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Let's see...you claimed that your PWM temp hits 100C when others were running 62C with GO 6600 quad @ 3.7GHz (same board). After days of fumbling, you put a fan on the PWM circuits and the temp went down to the 70s. I told you from day one that you had inadequate air flow at the PWM region. Your reply was that you have a SUPER DUPER case with a bunch of 120mm fans. If you put a drop of oil at the right place, then the noise will disappear.

Q6600 with B3 stepping = Barn burner. If the CPU wants more current from the output devices, then the PWM temp will rise. Without cold air passing over the heat sink, the PWM temp can approach 100C. Explain to me why the MB is at fault?

You also try to blame the board for your high CPU temp. After lapping the heat spreader and CPU cooler, the temp went down. Explain to me why the MB is at fault?

IP35-E is an excellent board. Yes, there are confirmed reports about bad solder joints at SATA ports. I believe this is a QC issue from a batch of IP35-E. Its low price makes it a prime target for noob overclockers.

Hardly... I took your advice to get a top down cooler with high air flow and it did JACK for me... Great advice there! In order get PWM temps under control, even at stock, I had to BUILD a special DUCT for it. a 120mm fan ducted right to PWM just to maintain the temps you claim that other people get with no problems... You tried to tell someone that their 8800GTX was overheating on 3DMark01 and that is why they were experiencing lockups... LOL, and that was AFTER he told you it was running fine for one year in another computer... You really are REACHING dude...

Then I did some research and found that PWM temperatures are safe in excess of 100c. Before I even brought references in with me, you had no idea this was true... Then you started telling people that they are safe in excess of 100c (mimiced my information) and pretend you knew it all along... I mean, people can look in the motherboard thread and see for themselves what you said. People mention high PWM temps, you say they should be under 70c and any over is very bad... Then I come in with information that PWM can hit very high temperatures and be quite safe, then you mimic it. Pfft.. Whatever dude.

There will be no further correspondence with you.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
In either case, I don't think one came "blame" one component or the other...is it the motherboard manufacturer that has the problem or the memory manufacturer? Does one or the other have to be "blamed"? Lets figure out if there is some compatibility problems and move on.

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777

Hardly... I took your advice to get a top down cooler with high air flow and it did JACK for me... Great advice there! In order get PWM temps under control, even at stock, I had to BUILD a special DUCT for it. a 120mm fan ducted right to PWM just to maintain the temps you claim that other people get with no problems... You tried to tell someone that their 8800GTX was overheating on 3DMark01 and that is why they were experiencing lockups... LOL, and that was AFTER he told you it was running fine for one year in another computer... You really are REACHING dude...

Then I did some research and found that PWM temperatures are safe in excess of 100c. Before I even brought references in with me, you had no idea this was true... Then you started telling people that they are safe in excess of 100c (mimiced my information) and pretend you knew it all along... I mean, people can look in the motherboard thread and see for themselves what you said. People mention high PWM temps, you say they should be under 70c and any over is very bad... Then I come in with information that PWM can hit very high temperatures and be quite safe, then you mimic it. Pfft.. Whatever dude.

There will be no further correspondence with you.

I recommended the Big Typhoon modded with a medium speed 120 x 38mm Panaflo? Did you get the BT? Nope. So please don't twist the truth!

PWM north of 75C can result in system instability. Provide a link where I said +100C PWM is safe. More memory lapse?

Part of any trouble shooting is to eliminate unknown variables. What's wrong with testing the case with the side open to see IF the GPU is overheating? I never said the GPU runs hot! Some people just have a very difficult time recalling the past...like "Zap said"...

Sep 17, 2007

I own two Corsair PSUs - an HX620 in my gaming rig, and a VX450 in my "family" rig. The gaming rig runs an E6750, O/C'd to 3.52GHz, and the family rig runs an E6750 O/C'd to 3.2GHz. I've futz'd with the Bios on both, saved Bios etc. No issues. I'd been an Antec guy over the years. I explored Corsair on the new builds primarily due to the reviews as well as anecdotal chit-chat in various forums. First purchase was the HX620, and six weeks later the VX450. I think these units are an incredible value, and the attention to detail is first-rate. Packaging, specs, parts, cable sleeving (on the VX), quiet/cool...top-notch. I agree that forums tend to highlight the problems, and then hopefully the solutions to these problems. Most of us don't post the successes. I'm doing that here.

And not a con, mind you, but a comment - my VX450's packaging and literature references an 8 pin that can be split for 4 pin boards...my unit arrived with both and 8 pin AND 4 pin cable (nicely sleeved.) This was an unexpected enhancement - always nice to have. If Corsair has made an "upgrade" to the unit, at some cost, they ought to include an addendum sheet in the box, and maybe a sticker on the outside of the box. As a sales/marketing guy (completely different industry), it pains me when a feature/benefit isn't trumpeted. Anyway, nice units - my experience.

Regards,

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Conjugal Visit

I own two Corsair PSUs - an HX620 in my gaming rig, and a VX450 in my "family" rig. The gaming rig runs an E6750, O/C'd to 3.52GHz, and the family rig runs an E6750 O/C'd to 3.2GHz. I've futz'd with the Bios on both, saved Bios etc. No issues. I'd been an Antec guy over the years. I explored Corsair on the new builds primarily due to the reviews as well as anecdotal chit-chat in various forums. First purchase was the HX620, and six weeks later the VX450. I think these units are an incredible value, and the attention to detail is first-rate. Packaging, specs, parts, cable sleeving (on the VX), quiet/cool...top-notch. I agree that forums tend to highlight the problems, and then hopefully the solutions to these problems. Most of us don't post the successes. I'm doing that here.

And not a con, mind you, but a comment - my VX450's packaging and literature references an 8 pin that can be split for 4 pin boards...my unit arrived with both and 8 pin AND 4 pin cable (nicely sleeved.) This was an unexpected enhancement - always nice to have. If Corsair has made an "upgrade" to the unit, at some cost, they ought to include an addendum sheet in the box, and maybe a sticker on the outside of the box. As a sales/marketing guy (completely different industry), it pains me when a feature/benefit isn't trumpeted. Anyway, nice units - my experience.

Regards,

Yep, pretty hard to beat Corsair these days. They are listening to users needs and then implementing them. What's not to like about that :thumbsup:

When you see the value line with a 50C rating and top end Japanese capacitors, kind of says it all about their attention to detail..........and it doesn't matter if it's CWT or Seasonic building them, the quality is outsatnding....