The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Perhaps, but the left has done a pretty good job of late in rushing to judgment and stubbornly refusing to admit their errors. I am not talking about forum members. I am referring to more important people like Presidential candidates.
As opposed to the current POTUS up a bullshit lie, ran with it for many years and has never to this day admitted it?

Perhaps misplaced concern

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Wanted to wait until more outlets confirmed the details.

While having admitted being wrong to believe him, people seemed to ignore my very first sentence in the OP.

From that point forward my posts did not claim an open and shut case but pointed out parts of the claim that made it plausible.

I saw a ridiculous claim, "you wanted this to happen" Think about how ridiculous that is wanting black people to be attacked on the streets by MAGA hat wearing Trump idiots just to illustrate things we already know that these kinds of attacks are on a sharp increase under Trump.

People in this thread cheering the hoax can't even get their own claims correct.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Situation plausible because of current events along with no discernible incentive to lie means I gave him the benefit of the doubt until facts dictate otherwise.

If his story was Barack Obama attacked me at niight I would not believe it because based on history and current circimstances the story sounds implausible.

What makes it implausible is that despite the left's peddling of FUD, there aren't widespread attacks based on political views or skin color today. Racism exists and isolated incidents certainly pop up from time to time. But anyone with a working neuron should know that the odds of such an attack happening to an actor, under the pretend circumstances cited, the odds would be astronomical.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Situation plausible because of current events along with no discernible incentive to lie means I gave him the benefit of the doubt until facts dictate otherwise.

If his story was Barack Obama attacked me at niight I would not believe it because based on history and current circimstances the story sounds implausible.

What do you mean with no discernible incentive? That makes no sense given people will do things for glory. Hell, I would bet his incentive was that he was willing to lie to push forward racial issues.

But, we did not have something as absurd as Obama attacking someone. What we had was a claim and details that seemed strange at best. Why not hold off on beliefs until we get more details?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You can interpret it that way all you want. Doesn't mean it's true. See my ending quote below - My main assertion is that it was a fabricated story and that I hope the truth came forward... I also correctly asserted that it's not what people here wanted to believe it is.

And I was actively calling "MAGA folks" too stupid and incompetent to ever make such a cunning plot.

You can act like I was "skeeting all over myself" with those quotes - But just realize - It's just your stupid bias' doing the talking for you.

Either way, I have to give Chicago PD the biggest kudos ever. They knew it was bullshit from the start, but they acted as if they bought it and were just doing their job to help him as a victim. They quickly found the laundry list jelly bean spill of details of the stupid plan and they have him over the barrel. I honestly don't even think a lawyer can help at this point.

But you did enjoy my double-dildo comment re: you and UC, no? I thought you appreciated it as an "astute observation," no? :D

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What do you mean with no discernible incentive? That makes no sense given people will do things for glory. Hell, I would bet his incentive was that he was willing to lie to push forward racial issues.

But, we did not have something as absurd as Obama attacking someone. What we had was a claim and details that seemed strange at best. Why not hold off on beliefs until we get more details?
Meaning why piss away a successful acting career knowing that would happen if caught? Also this guy didn't have a known history for things like this. Based on what we knew at the time there was no incentive, IMO.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What makes it implausible is that despite the left's peddling of FUD, there aren't widespread attacks based on political views or skin color today. Racism exists and isolated incidents certainly pop up from time to time. But anyone with a working neuron should know that the odds of such an attack happening to an actor, under the pretend circumstances cited, the odds would be astronomical.
If a black actor can be arrested for just trying to buy his mother a birthday present what makes you think this is so implausible especially in this climate?

I see you have not commented on the rise of these kinds of crimes under Trump.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If a black actor can be arrested for just trying to buy his mother a birthday present what makes you think this is so implausible especially in this climate?

I see you have not commented on the rise of these kinds of crimes under Trump.

Is there really a "rise of these kinds of crimes?" In this case the claimed crime doesn't even exist. These crimes happen at such a rate that a black homosexual has to create and manufacture such a crime..? You're peddling FUD, don't listen to the liberal media.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Is there really a "rise of these kinds of crimes?" In this case the claimed crime doesn't even exist. These crimes happen at such a rate that a black homosexual has to create and manufacture such a crime..? You're peddling FUD, don't listen to the liberal media.
FBI crime statistics say yes. You know that liberal bastion of fake news. Lots of sources, look them up.

That's why I had concern this was a hoax because people like you would use it to claim the rise in these kinds of crimes are made up.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Meaning why piss away a successful acting career knowing that would happen if caught? Also this guy didn't have a known history for things like this. Based on what we knew at the time there was no incentive, IMO.

This is what I find confusing. You are saying that you were not willing to believe he could be lying because you saw no evidence. How do you not see the irony of what you are saying?

Clearly there are reasons for him to lie, even if you did not see them. You only need a basic understanding of people to know that they are not always truthful.

I'm not saying you need to profess him as a liar until he proves himself, but, you should also not profess him as truthful.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Now back to the case in a country where somebody can be tied by a rope to the back of a pickup truck and dragged down the street you find this impossible? ...
This would be a sensational outrage if it happened in America today. You're delusional if you think that kind of racial violence is happening routinely. Can't have a dialogue with that kind of hyperbole.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
This is what I find confusing. You are saying that you were not willing to believe he could be lying because you saw no evidence. How do you not see the irony of what you are saying?

Clearly there are reasons for him to lie, even if you did not see them. You only need a basic understanding of people to know that they are not always truthful.

I'm not saying you need to profess him as a liar until he proves himself, but, you should also not profess him as truthful.
Sociopath: A Quibbler Tale of Not Understanding Human Responses

Reactions: Victorian Gray

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sociopath: A Quibbler Tale of Not Understanding Human Responses

Um, I understood the human in the story. Its why I, as well as others were cautious about this story. It was Homer that could not understand the person and because of that believed the claim.

Did you just use Sociopath and have no idea what it means?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
What is his motive? It has to be financial gain?

No, it does not have to be.

The woman that carved her face during the Obama campaign did not do it for money. She seems to have done it because the person running she thought was so bad that anything she could do to prevent that person from winning would be better for her and everyone else. The same could apply here. There are many different motives.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

As I said many time as facts came out to doubt his story I stated such.

What in the initial story let you to conclude he was lying.
What was his incentive in the initial story to perpetrate this hoax? We still don't know why he did it.

We do know crimes like this are on a sharp rise in this country so circumstances made it plausible.

People empathized with him these kinds of crimes going on in the country so chose to believe him until facts dictated otherswise.

BTW - Did you go back and read my first sentence in the OP??

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Damn, we can only hope it is that low. Don't polls indicate it's closer to 110 million?

Trump got less than half of the votes in 2016, total votes representing about 40% of the registered voters in the country. ...so less than half of less than half of the population is, well, something. Definitely less than 1/3rd of the country, that's for sure. Considering his very temporary support from independents and skeptics in 2016 has shown huge, huge losses in the last 2 years, I honestly think I'm being really conservative in assuming his unquestionable support remaining at that level

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
As I said many time as facts came out to doubt his story I stated such.

What in the initial story let you to conclude he was lying.
What was his incentive in the initial story to perpetrate this hoax? We still don't know why he did it.

We do know crimes like this are on a sharp rise in this country so circumstances made it plausible.

As I said before, you should not conclude he was lying. What makes my position different was that I also saw nothing to conclude he was telling the truth. We don't have to know why he did it to know that what he claimed was a lie. Now, it would be nice to have a motive, but, motive is not required.

What I and others tried to explain is that until there is evidence to show one way or another, that it was faulty to believe either. You seem to take the position that you should believe until proven otherwise. That is silly.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Trump got less than half of the votes in 2016, total votes representing about 40% of the registered voters in the country. ...so less than half of less than half of the population is, well, something. Definitely less than 1/3rd of the country, that's for sure. Considering his very temporary support from independents and skeptics in 2016 has shown huge, huge losses in the last 2 years, I honestly think I'm being really conservative in assuming his unquestionable support remaining at that level

People could support him that did not vote. Your logic if flawed.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This would be a sensational outrage if it happened in America today. You're delusional if you think that kind of racial violence is happening routinely. Can't have a dialogue with that kind of hyperbole.
Making a point about people are claiming this kind of attack is so impossible. I'm saying in todays climate stuff like this is becoming more and more likely. Didn't we just have 11 people killed in Pittsburg because some nut hated Jews funing a caravan? A conpiracy theory pushed by right wingers and retweeted by Trump.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Making a point about people are claiming this kind of attack is so impossible. I'm saying in todays climate stuff like this is becoming more and more likely. Didn't we just have 11 people killed in Pittsburg because some nut hated Jews funing a caravan? A conspiracy theory pushed by right wingers and retweeted by Trump.

Who said it was impossible?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Do you... think it would be better if the event had actually happened as described?

In fact, this being such a high profile hoax could be a good thing. We're pretty focused as a society at looking under all the rocks and into all the nooks and crannies for the last vestiges of racism, at least against minorities, which in and of itself is fine. But when coupled with giving race baiters a relative pass that just inflames racial tensions. We should be strongly discouraging both, and if this can help serve as a catalyst for the later thanks to its sheer visibility, then it could very well be a good thing in the long run.

Would have been better had the whole thing never happened at all.