The Intel Atom Thread

Page 218 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Seeing the Ryzen 3 5300U, the Atom does not fare well.

The issue? AMD is going with Mendocino which is inferior than even said Ryzen (which is a direct shot on the foot)

5300u is a half enabled lucien/renoir chip on N7. Mendocino is essentially the same 4 core CCX with the same cache on a better node (minus some FP). I think it will be compatable at equal power.

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
I wouldn't bother with anything earlier than Gemini Lake, and gemini lake needs to be a quad with an SSD. Later chips support later Emmc standards that approach SATA speeds so, if properly specced, they can be good even with emmc. Tremont cores are reasonably useful. I think that AlderLake N though will be where everything about those chips is OK enough for most usages. The iGPU becomes performant enough to handle light gaming, there are enough threads to go around, and a single thread has enough power to keep the GDI responsive in windows.
I think Pentium 8505 is good shout, one P core to handle single thread task and 4 E core to multithread. Also gpu is not bad and better than Mendocino. Any news what gpu they use in these Alderlake N?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I wouldn't bother with anything earlier than Gemini Lake, and gemini lake needs to be a quad with an SSD.

You'd really have to go out of your way to buy older than Gemini Lake Refresh since they are all discontinued (including the original Gemini Lake). But as the last 14 nm Atom, Gemini Lake Refresh is going to be around for awhile.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Sorry if I don't see it as little more than an excuse.

The REAL focus on security is stop and reverse the rapidly declining moral state of our world so you reduce the amount of people(not just criminals because when everyone normalizes it then what...?) that want to be vengeful.

There always have been and always will be criminals. Besides them we also have state actors. But you really want to rely on the "honor system" with China or Russia? Being able to just hack all our stuff?

IT security is simply needed and anything else is naive or wishful thinking
[/QUOTE]

60% of the people polled anonymously said that if they get fired/laid off they'd reveal deepest company data and break NDAs. All your security is worth nothing. Tech is worthless. Because it's about people. It always has been but we completely lost that mindset.

Does the actual data confirm this? saying you would do it doesn't mean you actual will do it when you are on the spot and maybe think about more about the consequences and morals kick in?
besides that here is were security matters greatly because if this is really a risk and the damage would be big, then you would lock peoples accounts before you fire them to prevent this.

Ignoring above, stealing the data is only the first part. Which mean maybe in anger you do it and there are no mechanisms in place. But as long as you don't sell it, no real damage was done. Selling it after the fact does require serious criminal mindset and I doubt from the few that do steal there will be many left that sell. because the sellling part is were you really expose yourself and could get caught.

Meanwhile the password system is so complicated that average joes say "screw it" and just write it down next to their computers.

An entire topic itself. password isn't complex. what is complex are stupid implementations for example with 20 rules and then expiration after 60 day. A password manager also isn't rocket science. Explained it my tech illiterate GF and she understood it.
Secuirty by default means complexity. in the system and for the user. hence it is always a trade-off.

And how is such abstractions save time/resources in any way? When the websites have went from being few KB in size to dozens of MB and often conveying less information than they did 20 years ago?
That is no secret. Ads and tracking. Install ublock origin or another ad-blocker and this problem gets a lot smaller. On top of that higher resolution images that are not ads also play a large part into this. Plus again abstractions. front-end frameworks that make development faster (cheaper) at the cost of having to ship a bigger website.

That's why some extreme viewpoint sees all this as a ponzi scheme. Because it sounds like you artificially increase the demand of compute by making things needlessly complex.
Like many conspiracies there is some ground truth to it but then it just gets off the rails.
The evil force driving this is just capitalism which means as cheap development costs as possible. this means more abstractions and less performance. And usually less quality.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Well.... there is now the most basic Intel of the line... The Intel N95

And the scores... are underwhelming decent for the cost... Here are the scores

ST wise is on par of the Core i7 4702MQ but MT wise can hit on the levels of the 4600U.

Oh... I forgot... it kicks the arse of the Celeron 7305 and to me said processor is the worst processor Intel ever made in the latest years.

Last edited:
Reactions: hemedans

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
The power limit for that sample is a big question. Very different picture between, say, 7W vs 15W.
if the most basic one (N100) is 6W and this goes lower... maybe it can go to 5W? Just to compete against the Raspberry.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
if the most basic one (N100) is 6W and this goes lower... maybe it can go to 5W? Just to compete against the Raspberry.
I doubt they can compete with the Pi or similar SBCs. Intel has long had issues scaling down to that sort of power envelope. Alder Lake seems to have made a little progress, but not nearly enough. But hopefully we get some ~10W fanless implementations.

Reactions: Lodix

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
The long awaited Alderlake-N skus have been announced today. 8c SKUs up to 3.8GHZ and between 7-15w max turbo power depending on sku. 4C SKUs upto 3.4-3.7GHZ, max turbo power of 6w. No base clocks listed.
View attachment 73831
View attachment 73832View attachment 73834
Hardwareluxx article
Phoronix article
I'm skeptical that those are actually turbo power numbers. They align too well with Intel's historical base power values. Certainly wouldn't be the first time Intel marketing mangles their official slides.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
There's also N97 (4 cores) and N50 (2 cores) for Embedded.

Alder Lake-N also only supports single channel memory. Yikes. Must have cut the second controller to save space.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Alder Lake-N also only supports single channel memory. Yikes. Must have cut the second controller to save space.
Probably more about platform cost than anything else. But I doubt it matters for such low end chips. Even 8xGRT shouldn't be that hard to keep fed.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Jasper Lake was usually paired with 2xDDR4-2400 to save cost. So, a single 1xDDR5-4800 isn't the worst drop. Since, most OEMs usually paired it with lower than recommend 2xDDR4-2933. Also, most LPDDR designs were single 64-bit PHY anyway. All the non-6000 series minipc that were phone-shaped/pocket-sized had 64-bit LPDDR4, while the 6000 variant were 128-bit LPDDR4.

The big loss is actually the Integrated TCSS stuff which was suppose to include Thunderbolt 4.
nversusm.jpeg

"Default board ADL-P has 4 typec ports, while ADL-M/N has only 2 typec ports." <== This of course is referring to Thunderbolt Type-C ports.

There was a reality going for Thunderbolt eGPUs Made By Intel, but with Alder Lake-N ditching Thunderbolt, I doubt it will ever happen.
ChromeOS patches for Core i3 and higher, DG2, Thunderbolt eGPU support, indicate that there was going to be an Alchemist eGPU setup for 12th+ gen Core i3s Chromebooks/Chromeboxes.

For the OEM I was talking too:
1. Core i3+ and 2. ChromeOS
=> core i32.png
So, their comments plus the branding:
core i3.png

Implies in their products that Alder Lake-N should have mandatory Thunderbolt 4 support. Thus, be able to use their rebranded DG2 booksized enclosures(similar to ASUS's XG Mobile/Sonnet's Breakaway Puck, but a lot cheaper)... So, back in November was pretty stoked, now like everything else it's a complete downer.

Last edited:

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
Intel in 2023 wants $193 for a quad core without HT and only single channel memory.
Hilarious. Hopefully no OEM will pay even a quarter of that price.
Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 10.34.18 AM.png

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
The long awaited Alderlake-N skus have been announced today. 8c SKUs up to 3.8GHZ and between 7-15w max turbo power depending on sku. 4C SKUs upto 3.4-3.7GHZ, max turbo power of 6w. No base clocks listed.
View attachment 73831
View attachment 73832View attachment 73834
Hardwareluxx article
Phoronix article
not sure if I am pulling up the right benchmarks but this is crossmark notebook scores for comparison (there is way more I am not posting, I am posting the barebones cheap CPUs for comparison)

Intel Celeron CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz
Intel Celeron N4100 CPU @ 1.10GHz
Intel Pentium Silver N5030 CPU @ 1.10GHz

Intel Pentium Silver N6000 @ 1.10GHz

11th Gen Intel Core i3-1115G4 @ 3.00GHz
Intel in 2023 wants $193 for a quad core without HT and only single channel memory.
Hilarious. Hopefully no OEM will pay even a quarter of that price.
View attachment 73900
no one EVER pays the RCP price.