The Intel Atom Thread

Page 163 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
And there are some rumors that finally Intel is doing right. They are moving to the Mobile area with Windows 10 and it's very posible that ARM are about to being ditched in favor to Intel.

So is very posible that Intel ditch Android support because of that.

In resume, MsIntel are about to enter on the Mobile/convertible área the next year.
http://winphonemetro.com/2015/07/windows-phone-con-procesador-intel

It's on spanish, and seems that what they announced now applies to higher tiers too... Maybe a Core M on a Windows SmartPhone?

Oct 6, 2014
And there are some rumors that finally Intel is doing right. They are moving to the Mobile area with Windows 10 and it's very posible that ARM are about to being ditched in favor to Intel.

So is very posible that Intel ditch Android support because of that.

In resume, MsIntel are about to enter on the Mobile/convertible área the next year.
http://winphonemetro.com/2015/07/windows-phone-con-procesador-intel

It's on spanish, and seems that what they announced now applies to higher tiers too... Maybe a Core M on a Windows SmartPhone?

That links talks about rumor of a high end phone with Intel the next year, I don't think it would have Core M. Also they are speculating the use of desktop x86 applications on the phone.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
That links talks about rumor of a high end phone with Intel the next year, I don't think it would have Core M. Also they are speculating the use of desktop x86 applications on the phone.
That automatically disqualifies any ARM chip. Ms definately will make all their future phones with Intel.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
According to this news Intel will end contra revenue for tablets. Now that they have SoFIA to cover the bottom of the market, an alliance with Rockchip/Spreadrum and hopefully a more competitive low-power x86 core next year (Goldmont) it was about time. However there will be contra revenue for smartphones, looks like they're Intel's new target. Hopefully new details after the conference call today.

This, however, does not mean that Intel has completely abandoned the use of the strategy of the Contra-Revenue, as hoped by CEO Brian Krzanich , as in the Smartphone market will be replicated , but in a decidedly milder. This will determine, in contrast to what happens in the Tablet, an increase in market share of SoC Intel: "Global shipments of Android-based tablets powered by Intel CPUs are expected to drop to 10.8 million units in 2015, down from14.23 million shipped a year earlier. Meanwhile, sales of Android smartphones powered by Intel's processors are Likely to surpass 10 million units in the year, according to Functional Digitimes Research. "

We await with interest the Conference Call on the 2Q15 to know more detailed Intel's strategy in relation to these two markets (smartphone and tablet) for the second half of the year, given that even the PC market seems to see a decline in sales and more As expected (Windows 10 does not seem to be able to revitalize this market as hoped ).

www.bitsandchips.it/13-mobile/5805-...-tablet-x86-e-le-vendite-nel-2015-precipitano

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
As expected Intel is playing dirty again. It will screw both markets if they release trashy products. Just what they did on the netbook one with Pine Trail.

lalla521

Mar 5, 2015
That automatically disqualifies any ARM chip. Ms definately will make all their future phones with Intel.

so disqualified that continuum is being developed on qualcomm hardware. and i bet ms is meaning universal apps, not x86 legacy stuff

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
so disqualified that continuum is being developed on qualcomm hardware. and i bet ms is meaning universal apps, not x86 legacy stuff
I hope that too, MS actually wanted to see Mediatek inside...
And actually if the Apps are universal could be interesting to watch how VIA with their hybrid project (ARM + x86) can handle it.

And Contiuum is also developed by Intel.... so maybe the project will success... only on Intel side.

Namisecond

Nov 28, 2013
As expected Intel is playing dirty again. It will screw both markets if they release trashy products. Just what they did on the netbook one with Pine Trail.

I wouldn't blame the introduction of Pine Trail (yes, I agree they were horrible) for the "demise" of the netbook. The market wasn't particularly robust to begin with and the companies involved transitioned to the 11.6" thin and light form factor with the CULV big core processors where the margins were a bit better.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
According to this news Intel will end contra revenue for tablets. Now that they have SoFIA to cover the bottom of the market, an alliance with Rockchip/Spreadrum and hopefully a more competitive low-power x86 core next year (Goldmont) it was about time. However there will be contra revenue for smartphones, looks like they're Intel's new target. Hopefully new details after the conference call today.

www.bitsandchips.it/13-mobile/5805-...-tablet-x86-e-le-vendite-nel-2015-precipitano

That makes sense.

Intel phone chips are the new "lowest common denominator" for the company.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
And the OEMs will be so retarded that they will use the phone chips on notebooks or Chromebooks!

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
And the OEMs will be so retarded that they will use the phone chips on notebooks or Chromebooks!
Why not, as long as there is demand. OEMs are not exactly in a margin comfort zone. You might better blame the buyers, who are satisfied with what they get while earning $250 per month.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Why not, as long as there is demand. OEMs are not exactly in a margin comfort zone. You might better blame the buyers, who are satisfied with what they get while earning $250 per month.
If buyers are idiots doesn't mean that you will ruin the industry for them.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I would hope Intel would do something different instead.

What I want is a Broxton or SoFIA phone that I could dock to a lapdock. This turning my phone into a laptop.

With that mentioned, I would also want the option to use a Intel compute stick as well. (So either phone or Compute stick could be used for compute).

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Just a question, is the Z37* capable of 1080p performance? My tablet does everything fine at 1280x720 but when I hook it via HDMI to the TV at 1080p it's so laggy so I wonder if it's my tablet or the CPU isn't good enough for that?

And I can totally see Atom or similar Intel CPU's going into cell phones.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Here comes the much appreciated competition into play. If you don't sell to them to save the industry for the better, someone else will be happy about that opportunity.

But if there is no one to save the industry? It might happen just what happened with Atari.

lalla521

Mar 5, 2015
as the release of win10 comes near and there are basically no new products based on cherry trail around save for a couple convertibles by lenovo, i am wondering if CT will just be a big failure and oems will just skip it and go straight to the next gen?

pisses me off anyway, i was waiting for CT products...

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
as the release of win10 comes near and there are basically no new products based on cherry trail around save for a couple convertibles by lenovo, i am wondering if CT will just be a big failure and oems will just skip it and go straight to the next gen?

pisses me off anyway, i was waiting for CT products...

There will be plenty of CherryTrail products. Remember Tablets, Laptops etc doesnt work by the instant change of a CPU. Its an entire chain.

People said the same with BayTrail, no BayTrail products.

Aug 11, 2008
There will be plenty of CherryTrail products. Remember Tablets, Laptops etc doesnt work by the instant change of a CPU. Its an entire chain.

Yes, but Bay Trail was a huge improvement over the previous chip. Cherry Trail offers much better theoretical igp performance, but no cpu improvements (or even a regression in come cases), so I am not even sure the cpu performance is there to drive the gpu. I could easily see manufacturers being in no hurry to adopt it. It certainly would not be a compelling reason for me to purchase one product over the other. Worse, even on 14nm, I dont think it increases battery life over BT. Honestly, 14nm Broadwell has taken a lot of flack, but if anything 14nm Atom to me is a much more disappointing product, in a segment where improvement was needed most to compete with Apple and ARM.

Last edited:

lalla521

Mar 5, 2015

i seriously doubt it... CT has basically the same performance of BT, save for the top-of-the-line z8700 that has more GPU power, but the lower end models are probably on par with BT considering the less execution units and lower clock.

plus, BT has been sold heavily discounted thanks to contra-revenue (i bet ODMs have warehouses full of BT) while CT is priced much higher (no contra revenue, low 14nm yelds)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
i seriously doubt it... CT has basically the same performance of BT, save for the top-of-the-line z8700 that has more GPU power, but the lower end models are probably on par with BT considering the less execution units and lower clock.

plus, BT has been sold heavily discounted thanks to contra-revenue (i bet ODMs have warehouses full of BT) while CT is priced much higher (no contra revenue, low 14nm yelds)

CherryTrail still got contrarevenue and plenty of OEMs have announced CherryTrail models. These models will come into the market the following months.

CherryTrail also uses less power besides the large IGP boost new codec support.

Mar 10, 2006
CherryTrail still got contrarevenue and plenty of OEMs have announced CherryTrail models. These models will come into the market the following months.

Are you sure that Cherry Trail requires contra-revenue? The platform seems to be used exclusively in high-end tablet models (i.e. where it may have an appropriate platform bill of materials), whereas Bay Trail was shoehorned in the low-end.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Are you sure that Cherry Trail requires contra-revenue? The platform seems to be used exclusively in high-end tablet models (i.e. where it may have an appropriate platform bill of materials), whereas Bay Trail was shoehorned in the low-end.

Yes. Its much less, but its still there. Hence the 800M$ contrarevenue drop this year.

Contrarevenue may end in late 2016.

lalla521

Mar 5, 2015
Yes. Its much less, but its still there. Hence the 800M$ contrarevenue drop this year.

Contrarevenue may end in late 2016.

pretty sure i've read many times that intel is ending contra revenue in h1 2015... so it should be done by now, for tablets.

it will however keep contra revenue for phone socs...

plenty... i'd say a handful... of which only a couple have been really officially announced, the rest is just prototype show-off at some faire...

also, i am aware of the benefits of CT over BT, that's why i am waiting for it, but from an oem standpoint, it does not justify new product lines imho

Last edited: