The Intel Atom Thread

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Fanless Gigabyte Brix:

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2014/05/the-bay-trail-brix-will-be-fanless.html

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5038#ov

Gigabyte_GB-BXBT-2807.jpg

Processor is the N2807 with 4.3 watt TDP.

1 SO-DIMM slot
1 bay for 2.5" drive
VESA mountable

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Fanless Gigabyte Brix:

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2014/05/the-bay-trail-brix-will-be-fanless.html

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5038#ov

Gigabyte_GB-BXBT-2807.jpg

Processor is the N2807 with 4.3 watt TDP.

1 SO-DIMM slot
1 bay for 2.5" drive
VESA mountable

If the price is right I could be looking at my next HTPC. Just add an external USB 3.0 HD and use a leftover 2.5 inch SSD for the OS and it could be awesome. Does anybody know if external USB hasrd drives spin down when not in use like internal drives do?

Is this CPU/GPU good enough for 1080p video decoding?

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Gigabyte server Avoton:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8040/gigabyte-server-launches-new-c2750-miniitx-and-2p-atx-lga2011

9813_big_678x452.jpg

This one is pretty nice in that it has the four NICs.

The article mentions this board will be used primarily for networking (even though Gigabyte included all six SATA ports):

With this in mind, I have to wonder why Avoton C2350 wasn't used? C2350 also has four NICS, but of course the cpu is only dual core @ 1.7 Ghz. Can someone please enlighten me?

No need to go all the way down to the C2350, the C2550 whould have worked fine.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Asus Transformer Book T100 with Atom Z3775 priced at $399

Asus quietly introduced a new version of the popular Transformer Book T100 2-in-1 tablet in April, giving the new model a slightly faster processor. While the Transformer Book T100 I reviewed in November featured a 1.33 GHz Intel Atom Z3740 Bay Trail processor, the new version has a 1.47 GHz Atom Z3775 chip.

www.mobilegeeks.de/asus-transformer-book-t100ta-neue-version-mit-atom-z3775-auch-in-neuen-farben
http://liliputing.com/2014/05/asus-transformer-book-t100-atom-z3775-priced-399.html

That's a welcome upgrade. 20-30% faster CPU performance and ~15% faster iGPU performance compared to the older Atom Z3740 model, same $399 (64GB model).

ASUS C300 Preview - Straight Out of the Box

ASUSC300Chromebookandpowersupply.jpg

The ASUS C300 Chromebook’s long battery life, sophisticated design, and functionality is sure to make it a strong option in the Chromebook marketplace. - See more at: http://blog.promevo.com/asus-c300-chromebook-straight-box/#gallery

http://blog.promevo.com/asus-c300-chromebook-straight-box

Asus C200 Chromebook up for pre-order for $249, ships June 10th

That's the first Bay Trail based Chromebook.

Toshiba WT10 & Next-Gen Toshiba Encore 8 coming soon (FCC leaks)

2 new Windows 8.1 tablets from Toshiba. The 10'' model will probably compete with the Lenovo Thinkpad 10 and HP Elitepad 1000. The new 8'' model should be an upgraded Encore 8, based on a newer Bay Trail-T C0 model + upgraded screen.

http://www.umpcportal.com/2014/05/toshiba-wt10-leak-is-a-good-omen
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Next-Gen-Toshiba-Encore-8-Could-Arrive-Soon-443372.shtml

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Asus C300 with a second battery or aftermarket extended battery is mighty tempting for me. Only things that would better match my notebook preferences would be a higher dpi screen.

Edit: Oh and a higher SKU quad core BayTrail wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
If the price is right I could be looking at my next HTPC. Just add an external USB 3.0 HD and use a leftover 2.5 inch SSD for the OS and it could be awesome. Does anybody know if external USB hasrd drives spin down when not in use like internal drives do?

Is this CPU/GPU good enough for 1080p video decoding?

Generally, people when they use this type of device as an HTPC don't use an external HDD. They simply use the network. External HDD is generally what beginners use to come into the HTPC market when they don't have much storage yet(or no server/desktop yet)

I think they do spin down as I kept my 4TB external as an external for a bit, but IMO, just use the drive internally and access it through the network. The WORST thing possible is to knock the drive over once while it's running. Goodnight all your sweet precious data.

I already did it once, never again. Left it as an external at school (had no choice no desktop), and eventually knocked it over. It's just not worth it IMO. Throw the HDD in your desktop/server and access it through the network and save yourself the risk.

Bolshoi Booze

Mar 7, 2014
Asus Transformer Book T100 with Atom Z3775 priced at $399

That's a welcome upgrade. 20-30% faster CPU performance and ~15% faster iGPU performance compared to the older Atom Z3740 model, same $399 (64GB model).

nice... i hope they gradually replace the older model with this one
played with a T100 a few days ago and I was really impressed by the performance from such cheap convertible.. night and day compared to older windows tablets

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Dell Venue 8 Android tablet with Merrifield CPU leaked

421905-intel-merrifield-and-moore-mwc-2014.jpg

Dell appears to be working on an updated version of its Venue 8 Android tablet. The upcoming Dell Venue 8 3840 started popping up in benchmark test results recently, and while the original Venue 8 (3830) has an Intel Atom Z2580 “Clover Trail+” processor, the new version seems to have a faster chip… Mobile Geeks notes it’s most likely one of Intel’s new “Merrifield” processors. [...]

dell-venue-8-3840-benches.jpg

http://liliputing.com/2014/05/dell-venue-8-android-tablet-merrifield-cpu-leaked.html

Intel to Show a Dozen Mobile Design Wins at Computex? (BSN)

According to some of our sources within Intel, there will be a multitude of Intel mobile design wins being shown at Computex 2014 in Taipei many of which will be running on Android. This includes all of the chips that Intel launched back at Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona where we covered Intel’s Merrifield launch. They even showed us one of their reference devices, which were quite prevalent at Computex to get an idea of what could be expected with Merrifield. Even though Mobile World Congress is generally accepted as the place to launch smartphone and tablet design wins, Intel’s product design cycle simply didn’t sync up. [...]

www.brightsideofnews.com/2014/05/20/intel-show-dozen-mobile-design-wins-computex

Pentium N3540: 2.16-2.66GHz + up to 896MHz iGPU.
That's a ~20% higher graphics Turbo clock compared to the first ''Bay Trail-M'' Pentium N3510 (2GHz, up to 750MHz graphics).

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

liliputing.com link above said:
According to A1Dev, the Dell Venue 8 3840 has a 2.13 GHz Ghz processor, Android 4.4 KitKat software, and 1GB of RAM.

1GB of RAM.....this could end up being a very inexpensive tablet.

I wonder if we will also see a version of this Windows 8.1 with Bing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8048/windows-81-with-bing

(Notice the new 1GB RAM requirement and the fact the Wiindows OS is now free for 9" or smaller tablets)

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
If Merrifield, 1GB, 16GB eMMC, Windows 8.1 with Bing (Free OS) for tablet works out, my only concern would be the follow-up chip to that,

I believe Moorefield would be too overkill for such a budget configuration (ie, 1GB RAM and 16GB eMMC) . Maybe Intel can figure out a way to make a more Integrated Wifi-only dual core/small GPU chip on 14nm (instead of the added GPU and CPU cores found on Moorefield).

Bolshoi Booze

Mar 7, 2014
1GB of RAM.....this could end up being a very inexpensive tablet.

I wonder if we will also see a version of this Windows 8.1 with Bing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8048/windows-81-with-bing

(Notice the new 1GB RAM requirement and the fact the Wiindows OS is now free for 9" or smaller tablets)

my thoughts too.. merrifield looks like a great SoC for cheap yet capable phones and tablets.. I wish there were more devices and tests out there but the passmark result above is fairly impressive for a 2C device.. beats the S800 kindle fire

as a windows machine I'm worried about powervr graphics drivers..

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 10, 2006
Is it even shipping yet?

From Lisa Su on the most recent AMD conference call...

And so for Mullins and Beema, I mean I think we have a strong sort of design wins for those products. We expect those to launch in Q2 and build through the second half of the year. And what we're looking to do with those products is really get a clear portfolio mix. So we'll be very aggressive at the low end where we need to be for the entry-level notebooks. But we want to balance that with enough profitability off the stack, and we think that the performance of these products, particularly Beema, that's very well reaching up further than we had before with our previous generation Kabini.

TrulyUncouth

Jul 16, 2013
Why didn't this end up getting a Mullins or Beema? I thought those chips were soooo much better than Bay Trail according to AMD!

What a constructive and interesting post.

I am sure since intel didn't end up in the consoles then they lied about being leading edge?

Please be constructive.

Mar 10, 2006

I am sure since intel didn't end up in the consoles then they lied about being leading edge?

Please be constructive.

It's a serious question. If Beema/Mullins are as great as the previews have demonstrated, then why did this socket -- a previously AMD Temash socket -- go to Intel's Bay Trail-M?

Does this suggest a performance/power deficiency on Mullins'/Beema's part?

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011

Please be constructive.
That's a bit of a false analogy...

Regardless of how it was presented, Intel17's got a point. AMD did get dropped in favor of Intel. Typically, you don't drop a superior product for an inferior one. I don't think we ever saw battery numbers for Mullins, and I doubt AMD would do well against Silvermont there.

I'm also curious if AMD even has a cost advantage... Intel's discounted Bay Trail a fair bit.

Mar 10, 2006

Regardless of how it was presented, Intel17's got a point. AMD did get dropped in favor of Intel. Typically, you don't drop a superior product for an inferior one. I don't think we ever saw battery numbers for Mullins, and I doubt AMD would do well against Silvermont there.

I'm also curious if AMD even has a cost advantage... Intel's discounted Bay Trail a fair bit.

Intel builds BYT-M on its very mature, high yielding 22nm process and still probably sells them at good margins. Remember that BYT-M is sold from the PC Client Group, not the Mobile and Comms group, so there is no contra-revenue here and the chips are quite profitable.

TrulyUncouth

Jul 16, 2013
Intel builds BYT-M on its very mature, high yielding 22nm process and still probably sells them at good margins. Remember that BYT-M is sold from the PC Client Group, not the Mobile and Comms group, so there is no contra-revenue here and the chips are quite profitable.

I think the fact that that baytrail has been out for so long may have had a hand in it- as for this not being in the contra-revenue I would like to read more on that, do you remember where you saw that -m variants aren't included? I am not very knowledgable on all of that. But even if its not in contra-revenue program couldn't it simply be priced so low that no sane OEM would go AMD anyways?

I was just pointing out the tone of your post which was clearly not one conducive to discussion- this one was much better.

I know it was a silly analogy, I was just pointing out the tone of his post. As for it being replaced I was thinking either price or the fact that baytrail has had massive availability for months while beema/mullins have no released products I know of.

Mar 10, 2006
I think the fact that that baytrail has been out for so long may have had a hand in it- as for this not being in the contra-revenue I would like to read more on that, do you remember where you saw that -m variants aren't included? I am not very knowledgable on all of that. But even if its not in contra-revenue program couldn't it simply be priced so low that no sane OEM would go AMD anyways?

I was just pointing out the tone of your post which was clearly not one conducive to discussion- this one was much better.

I know it was a silly analogy, I was just pointing out the tone of his post. As for it being replaced I was thinking either price or the fact that baytrail has had massive availability for months while beema/mullins have no released products I know of.

If Intel were planning major contra-revenue for BYT-M, which Intel expects to make up a pretty significant part of its PC Client Group mix, it would be seeing a hit to operating profit this year y/y. So far, revenues have been better than expected and operating margin is even healthier than it was last year.

Intel is minting coin on BYT-M, even if it's losing its rear-end on BYT-T.