The Intel Atom Thread

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Sweepr, Sep 11, 2013.

1. witeken

witeken Diamond Member

Didn't Intel quit the tablet market? Wasn't Apollo Lake meant for low-end laptops? Interesting, but prolly low volume, it isn't like W10 has huge tablet share.

2. podspi

podspi Golden Member

There isn't much of a market for pure Windows tablets, but 2-in-1's I'd imagine are still in Apollo Lake's intended market.

It blows my mind that every college student these days doesn't have a (preferably penabled ... really dislike the ntrig stuff I've tried so far, including the Surface) 2-in-1. Gotta get them indoctrinated young for that paperless future we keep hearing about.

3. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

I have a atom bt 4 c 2 in one 10" with ssd used as spotify server.
    I mean as productivity device the days for such performance is over. When bobcat e350 arived 6 years ago it was kind of acceptable. At that time phones was like single core arm a8. Vs how fast a mobile phone is today its just to darn slow for serious work.

I have a bt nas server and like the spotify server its fine for that kind of niche purposes.

If a zen core is 6mm2 incl l2 on 14nm as Dresdenboy estimates and as amd for good reason then is leaving small core the days for Atom is comming to an end. At 7nm an zen+ will the be perhaps like 4mm2 and then derivatives be it in consoles whatever will take the place of atom.

Right now arm a73 will be flooding the market and with its 2 wide slim and extremely small core be very attractive eg for the nas market. A quad a73 is simply a fast processor here. In 3 years its a 8c variant.

Atom is simply stuck in a very very bad place. Worse than when it was to the tune of 4b loss a year. Can it be anymore difficult?
    4 years and its 100% game over. One can understand Intels decisions.

4. wzumada

wzumada Junior Member

Where can you buy an Apollo Lake board in the US? I see an Asrock J4205 on sale at Amazon and Newegg for ~$120... but it has a realtek nic!

Anyone spotted J4205 elsewhere?

5. dark zero

dark zero Platinum Member

And they screwed up the low Core tier with that... and considering that ARM A73 is about to come, has Windows emulation with similar performance, Intel is literally doing a harakiri on that segment.

6. ninaholic37

ninaholic37 Golden Member

It will be nice when Apollo Lake laptops come to North America. I read that some were ETA December 2016 but haven't see any here yet.

edit: Found two of them now on Best Buy
    Lenovo Flex 4 - 11.6" - Celeron N3350
    Acer Aspire ES - 17.3" - Pentium N4200

#4731 ninaholic37, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  7. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

8. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

Drazick likes this.
  9. nvgpu

nvgpu Senior member

Waiting for the 8 cores & possibly 16 cores Denverton SKUs, should be a decent improvement over Avoton.
    CPU core is Goldmont, significant improvement over Silvermont in Avoton.

10. Tralalak

Tralalak Senior member

11. nvgpu

nvgpu Senior member

12. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

Nice improvement from Braswell to Apollo Lake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ps: You'll definitely want dual modules with this NUC:

[​IMG]

Drazick likes this.
  13. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

Apollo Lake slowly replacing Braswell inside Cloudbooks & Chromebooks

https://liliputing.com/2017/01/goog...s-toting-chromebooks-education-acer-asus.html

https://liliputing.com/2017/01/acer-hp-lenovo-unveil-low-cost-windows-laptops-education-189.html

Drazick likes this.
  14. Tralalak

Tralalak Senior member

Sweepr likes this.
  15. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

Drazick likes this.
  16. nvgpu

nvgpu Senior member

17. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

INTEL ATOM C3000 DENVERTON – FIRST BENCHMARKS AND WHAT WE CAN EXPECT WHEN IT IS FINALLY “LAUNCHED”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c3000-denverton-first-benchmarks-can-expect-finally-launched/

Drazick likes this.
  18. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

Drazick likes this.
  19. Tralalak

Tralalak Senior member

#4744 Tralalak, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Arachnotronic and Sweepr like this.
  20. Arachnotronic

That's amazing performance/watt from little Denverton.

21. nvgpu

nvgpu Senior member

https://www.servethehome.com/new-official-intel-atom-c3000-denverton-details/

22. Tralalak

Tralalak Senior member

Sweepr likes this.
  23. Nothingness

Nothingness Golden Member

Still running multithreaded Dhrystone I see. Funny... Well no in fact that's not funny at all coming from a site that does home serving benchmarks.

That being said, Denverton looks good but we've known that for months. What is nice to see is that how much this proves previous Atom generations were just crap.

24. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

The problem for Denverton is its too little too late against the ARM competition. Intel has basically lost the mobile war to ARM. For the PC desktop, notebook and server market AMD is back with a vengeance. AMD has a single core which will run all of AMD's products going forward from ultra low power notebooks to high end desktops and servers. The kind of disruptive pricing we are seeing from Zen in the enthusiast desktop is likely to extend to servers and notebooks. imo Intel needs to split their core development into two. Their client core could combine the best of Atom and their current big core - power efficiency and very good performance without the unnecessary baggage of AVX-512. Their server core could go for wider AVX units as thats Intel's strategy for HPC against NVIDIA / AMD.

25. IntelUser2000

IntelUser2000 Elite Member

Really?

I know you are smarter than this. Denverton is a server product. Actually my memory tells me the first Atom server product, the Centerton did quite fantastic against ARM competition.

Here's real mobile Atom news: http://www.spreadtrum.com/en/show_news.html?id=fe766282-e9cc-4ffd-b211-e3d19675d3f7

8 core Airmont. The graphics are bit anemic compared to the CPU but its 8 core Atom, and an integrated LTE modem.

Now I know what Intel's problem was in mobile. Segmentation. Spreadtrum made a better Atom chip than Intel, the maker of Atom did. Intel was too afraid to make a good Atom cannibalize their Core line. The funny thing is Kirk Skaugen, the guy that got fired by current CEO Kraznich said they wouldn't allow such thing to hinder progress again(was referring to Itanium vs x86 but Atom vs Core is the same thing).

How about this Intel? If you created a good Atom just for mobile, and didn't have a PC version, there would be no cannibalization. iPads and iPhones are better than your Core chips by a long shot, but PCs still sell right? That's the same argument almost-delusional Intel investors think anyway. There's no OS crossover so Apple chips being better than Intel has no effect on Intel.

:rolleyes: