The Intel Atom Thread

Page 135 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bullzz

Jul 12, 2013
@Headfoot - do OEMs really care? we have been seeing qcomm 400 in phones for the past 6 quarters

III-V

Oct 12, 2014
You do not put the latest/"greatest" SoC in a $199 phone, let's be realistic, ASUS must have got a great deal from Intel for the "old" gen. SoCs.
The Verge is a rather awful site, when it comes to the journalists knowing what they're talking about.

Reactions: Grazick

kpkp

Oct 11, 2012
LTE-enabled tablets. Cherry Trail is a tablet-only platform.

It's confusing. On Anandtech they also mention smartphones in the Cherry Trail article:
Given that Intel’s press release today was short and mentioned connectivity with their XMM726x modem with Cat 6 LTE with aggregation, it sounds specifically that Cherry Trail for smartphones/tablets is the order of the day, rather than larger or desktop systems. Cherry Trail will also be a focus point for Intel’s RealSense technology, with Intel wanting to promote their ‘no wires, no password’ philosophy.

Mar 10, 2006
It's confusing. On Anandtech they also mention smartphones in the Cherry Trail article:

Anandtech is wrong. Intel's platforms will become suitable for use in both phones and tablets starting with SoFIA at the low end, SoFIA MID in the mid-range, and Broxton at the high end.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Unspecified Cherryview Device Pops-Up @ GFXBench

Initial submission from an unspecified Cherryview platform device @ GFXBench:

1a.jpg

T-Rex Offscreen: 35.3 FPS
T-Rex Onscreen 25.1 FPS
Manhattan Offscreen: 20.1 FPS
Manhattan Onscreen: 15.9 FPS

http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benc...l(R)+CherryView+HD+Graphics&testgroup=overall

Offscreen scores were lower (32.9 FPS and 17.6 FPS) just a few hours ago, which shows that these are preliminary results (subject to change with new submissions). Scaling also seems strange, I wonder what's the display resolution of this device (2560x1440?).

It's safe to assume that ready to market devices and drivers will post higher scores in future submissions (Bay Trail improved >20% since initial scores).

Cherry Trail won't take the graphics performance crown away from NVIDIA/Apple mobile SoCs but it brings a much needed upgrade over Bay Trail. More than twice Bay Trail's graphics performance will make lot's of games playable at lower settings, we're talking about full fledged DirectX PC games here, not mobile versions. $100-200 mobile devices should be able to play a bunch of X360/PS3 ports with reasonable framerate.

For comparison here's my Exynos 7 Octa (20nm, Mali T760MP6 GPU) results:
T-Rex Offscreen: 37.6 FPS
T-Rex Onscreen 25.3 FPS
Manhattan Offscreen: 17.1 FPS
Manhattan Onscreen: 10.7 FPS

And here's the best Bay Trail results:
T-Rex Offscreen: 17.9 FPS
Manhattan Offscreen: 9.6 FPS

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
In line with Intel's claims of 2x...but Tegra X1 is the kind of performance Intel should be delivering.

Really wish Intel stuck to its Broxton launch schedule.

Last edited:

erunion

Jan 20, 2013
In line with Intel's claims of 2x...but Tegra X1 is the kind of performance Intel should be delivering.

Tegra x1 shouldnt be the comparison. Nvidia literally said they didn't make x1 for phones at their CES keynote. They talked the entire time about cars, didn't mention tablets at all.

Though, Nvidia probably ignored talking about mobile because of a lack of design wins, not because they don't think its important.

Mar 10, 2006
Tegra x1 shouldnt be the comparison. Nvidia literally said they didn't make x1 for phones at their CES keynote. They talked the entire time about cars, didn't mention tablets at all.

Though, Nvidia probably ignored talking about mobile because of a lack of design wins, not because they don't think its important.

Tegra X1 looks like a really good chip, but I think the concern might be cost. They can deliver some serious performance, but how many tablet customers are willing to pay the premium for it?

Also, cars are probably far more lucrative for NVIDIA than tablets, hence the focus.

I still think Intel needs to have a "halo" mobile part to build mind-share, even if it doesn't win too many designs. The "Iris Pro" of mobile, so to speak.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

Considering that even HD 5300 in Core M loses to X1, there's no chance Cherry Trail could have been anything like that. Actually in both Manhattan and T-Rex, even the HD 5500 loses to X1.

Also remember how they said Gen 8 will be a revolutionary change? Well, its the smallest gain in many years.

Nvidia literally said they didn't make x1 for phones at their CES keynote.
Cherry Trail isn't for phones either. Only Broxton will combine the Tablet and Smartphone division. But a 15W "Ultrabook" chip on a oh so great 14nm loses to a <10W 20nm Tablet so it doesn't even matter.

Charlie D at SA was right again when he said Intel "castrated" Broadwell performance. If Nvidia had an X86 license Intel's business would have been threatened.

Mar 10, 2006
@ IntelUser2000

I was actually surprised at how little Gen. 8 was improved over Gen. 7 in some of the benchmarks we've seen thus far. Even in real games, the gain isn't huge.

I think we'll see a bigger improvement in Gen. 9.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Theres virtually nothing to compare them to, what other X86 Windows compatible SoC is out there?

I said it again on the X1, i dont need that IGP power on a ARM Android, i need it on X86 Windows.

VIA has nothing, AMD does not get a single design win, BT is the only thing out there.

erunion

Jan 20, 2013
its a pity we're stuck with Intel graphics. Imagine if Intel had licensed Maxwell for cherrytrail.

Eventually Intel will fix the performance per watt, but that doesn't help us in 2015.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Considering that even HD 5300 in Core M loses to X1, there's no chance Cherry Trail could have been anything like that. Actually in both Manhattan and T-Rex, even the HD 5500 loses to X1.

Also remember how they said Gen 8 will be a revolutionary change? Well, its the smallest gain in many years.

Don't forget power consumption. If the get 2xPerfromance at half the power it is quiet revolutionary. Intels problem was efficiency in power usage and space.

But anyway I don't get the GPU hype in such devices. Buy a real PC or console if you want to play games. I mean even if it can play games it will drain the battery like crazy and then you go from 1 day to maybe 3-4 hours per charge. So 3D gaming on a mobile phone is kind of dumb IMHO.

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
T-Rex Offscreen: 35.3 FPS
T-Rex Onscreen 25.1 FPS
Manhattan Offscreen: 20.1 FPS
Manhattan Onscreen: 15.9 FPS

http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benc...l(R)+CherryView+HD+Graphics&testgroup=overall
[...]

And here's the best BayTrail results:
T-Rex Offscreen: 17.9 FPS
Manhattan Offscreen: 9.6 FPS
Unless I misused the interface, the best Bay Trail results are 21.1 and 10.9. These were obtained on a Acer A1-840 FHD running Android on a Z3745 (couldn't find any Windows results...).

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
But anyway I don't get the GPU hype in such devices. Buy a real PC or console if you want to play games. I mean even if it can play games it will drain the battery like crazy and then you go from 1 day to maybe 3-4 hours per charge. So 3D gaming on a mobile phone is kind of dumb IMHO.

Personally, I love the fact that my tablet can play games. When I travel (back home to see the parents for Christmas, or staying in a hotel for work) I can just take my Haswell tablet and an XBox controller with me, and I can play all sorts of older games from Steam at reduced settings just fine. It's not going to run Assassin's Creed Unity or anything, but it still keeps me entertained.

Shame that Broadwell's GPU doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. I was hoping for an Ivy Bridge style doubling of performance.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Personally, I love the fact that my tablet can play games. When I travel (back home to see the parents for Christmas, or staying in a hotel for work) I can just take my Haswell tablet and an XBox controller with me, and I can play all sorts of older games from Steam at reduced settings just fine. It's not going to run Assassin's Creed Unity or anything, but it still keeps me entertained.

Shame that Broadwell's GPU doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. I was hoping for an Ivy Bridge style doubling of performance.

Indeed. I think Cherry Trail will be a good match for the type of player you described, especially when on a budget ($100-300 PCs/mobile devices). The lower-power Airmont cores should allow the GPU to boost to higher clocks than Broadwell-Y. Cherry Trail's iGPU comes in 8 EU and 16 EU flavours, the GFXBench submission probably comes from the 16 EU version.

Unless I misused the interface, the best Bay Trail results are 21.1 and 10.9. These were obtained on a Acer A1-840 FHD running Android on a Z3745 (couldn't find any Windows results...).

The scores I posted are from Bay Trail running Windows, perhaps there's better results but didn't find.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Indeed. I think Cherry Trail will be a good match for the type of player you described, especially when on a budget ($100-300 PCs/mobile devices). The lower-power Airmont cores should allow the GPU to boost to higher clocks than Broadwell-Y. Cherry Trail's iGPU comes in 8 EU and 16 EU flavours, the GFXBench submission probably comes from the 16 EU version.

Cherry Trail sure seems ideal :) I'd love to see someone to make one of these, but running Windows on x86:

archos_gamepad2_intro.jpg

http://www.archos.com/gb/products/tablets/themed/archos_gamepad2/index.html

There's already plenty of 7" tablets running Bay Trail, it can't be too hard to build in some game controls too!