The Intel Atom Thread

Page 128 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2006
Investing more heavily would not have changed any of the market forces that I mentioned above.

I suppose my point is really more along the lines of: Intel should have spotted the trend towards lower-power, lower-cost, and more ubiquitous computing.

They see it now, and I think the success of Bay Trail-M is a good example of what happens when Intel just embraces the market trends without reservation.

Last edited:

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Intel foresaw the trend to mobile computing they just got the projected timeline very wrong. They did not expect form the arm market to take off with arm11 and cortex a8 for those chips were junk and Intel could not understand why someone would want something that slow. They did not get if the device is small enough and it is cheap enough people will tolerate or even love slow for these devices opened up new usage models for now you always have the internet with you.

It is like stopping your car to enter a toll road, throwing the money so you can get on the highway, only to miss the machine for you misjudged the distance and thus your aim was off. You did all the steps to complete the task correctly, but timing is a big deal in many things

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
In Sony new smartwatch there is quad core a7 (remember 0.5mm2 per core with L1 produced on dirt cheap 28nm process), with more than 4 times the computing power of the original Iphone 4 with its single a8 core!

What makes timing very critical is the crazy blast and acceleration that have happened. A lot of companies hit the timeline right, and by doing so they were automatickly drawn into an crazy acceleration i think few, if any, could have predicted.

Aug 11, 2008
Interesting looking cheap windows tablet at Microcenter.

Winbook TW801

They are also advertising a 100.00 model "coming soon" with 1gb ram and 16 gb storage. (and I believe the same screen)

I hope they do in fact bring out the 100.00 model. Microcenter, at least in my area, gave almost no support to the Venue 8 pro, they did not even have one on display. But they have a huge ad for these new tablets in their latest mailing, so I hope they have shifted more support to windows tablets.

Aug 11, 2008
Not sure how I feel about cellular service for a tablet. It sounds great, but not sure if the data plan is worth it. Most of the time I use a tablet it is in range of Wi-Fi, but on a trip cellular would be great to have.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Very impressive Atom Z3500 based tablet from Dell:

Dell unveils Venue 8 7000 Series Android tablet with Intel RealSense 3D camera

965x500_Dell_Venue_8_7000-en.jpg

Dell is starting to show off a new Android tablet which the company says is the world’s thinnest, at 6mm or just under 0.24 inches thick. The Dell Venue 8 7000 Series tablet features an Intel Atom Z3500 series Moorefield processor and a high-resolution 8.4 inch OLED display.

The Dell Venue 8 7000 Series will also be one of the first tablets to ship with Intel’s RealSense platform. RealSense combines a 3D camera and Intel software to enabled 3D gesture based input similar to what you’d get from a Leap Motion or Microsoft Kinect controller.

[...] The Dell Venue 8 7000 Series tablet features an 8.4 inch, 2560 x 1600 pixel edge-to-edge OLED display and the tablet should be available by the 2014 holiday season. Dell hasn’t yet announced how much the tablet will cost.

http://liliputing.com/2014/09/dell-...android-tablet-intel-realsense-3d-camera.html
www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/campaig...X98a5b73116cd5b924aa591ce36952904&AID=3640101

Also:

Asus launches VivoTab 8 budget Windows Bay Trail tablet

asus-vivo-tab-8_02.png

The first 8 inch Windows tablet from Asus is a model with an Intel Atom processor and a digital pen for writing and drawing with pressure-sensitive input. The Asus VivoTab Note 8 launched earlier this year and has a list price of $330, although you can almost always find one for a lower price.

But what if you don’t need the pen support?

Meet the Asus VivoTab 8 (M81C). It’s a new 8 inch Windows tablet with an Intel Atom Bay Trail processor, but no digital pen and a few other differences which mean it’ll probably sell for even less than the already-affordable VivoTab Note 8 when it hits the streets. The Asus VivoTab 8 features an 8 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel IPS display, an Intel Atom Z3745 quad-core processor, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and Windows 8.1 software (plus a 1-year subscription to Microsoft Office 365).

http://liliputing.com/2014/09/asus-launches-vivotab-8-budget-windows-bay-trail-tablet.html

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Makes me nervous when they only talk about graphics performance improvements. Probably means they didnt do much to improve the cpu.

I dont know if I really understand what intel is doing. I went through the PDF. Seems like they are still trying to drive the market to accept their gimmicks or applications, whichever way you look at it, instead of delivering what they really need for the market which is 4G LTE for low end, high end, and phones, and a platform that doesnt require contra revenue to be price competitive. Pretty much the attitude that has put Intel, and also Microsoft, in such a poor position now in mobile: we know what you, the consumer needs, and dammit, we are going to force it down your throat no matter what. Except they cant now because there are a lot of Android/Arm alternatives. And believe me, I would love to see Intel kick some Android a** in mobile, but it just seems they are still so unfocused on what the consumer really wants, and instead are just focused on technology for its own sake. And to make the situation worse, all the delays in 14nm have lessened their lead in process tech to less than it should have been, although we will see if the ARM camp is able to meet all the optimistic projection they have made for implementing new processes.

Like this Real Sense application. I thought Kinect was pretty much universally either hated or viewed with disinterest, so why come out Real Sense. Seems like so much money and effort being directed in the wrong direction. Maybe I am wrong, and I hope so, but we will see.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Is that a good score?

Egypt HD is not exactly the most intensive graphics test out there nowadays but a ~100 score is actually quite good. That would be slightly slower than the Surface Pro (17W IB ULV, 16 ''Gen 7'' EUs @ high clocks, up to 1.05GHz). Faster than Snapdragon S805, A8, Mullins and slower than Tegra K1 is my guess, but we need more (and better) tests.

Last edited:

jdubs03

Oct 1, 2013
Egypt HD is not exactly the most intensive graphics test out there nowadays but a ~100 score is actually quite good. That would be slightly slower than the Surface Pro (17W IB ULV, 16 ''Gen 7'' EUs @ high clocks, up to 1.05GHz). Faster than Snapdragon S805, A8, Mullins and slower than Tegra K1 is my guess, but we need more (and better) tests.

Keep in mind the chart you posted is GFXbench 2.5 not 2.7. I'm not trying to be nitpicky but there could be a difference in fps rates between each version.

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
It may be helpful to wait for independent reviews prior to dismissing or over embracing Real Sense. Perhaps the following comment from Alcarez Research http://seekingalpha.com/article/2484125-intels-realsense-snapshot-is-a-game-changer?uprof=46 is a bit over the top.

"Intel's introduction of an affordable light field camera is a game-changer. Depth-enabled photography is still very rare because light-field cameras are very expensive. The Lytro Illum costs $1,599 and most amateur photographers will not bother buying it. However, a sub-$400 Dell tablet that can do what the Lytro Illum does is very attractive.

Real Sense Snapshot will let even the most amateur person come up with great Bokeh effect shots."

I suspect anyone enthusiastic about photography may see Real Sense as a must have feature. Consumer electronics is a business prone to fads. Might Bokeh become a chick fad?

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Keep in mind the chart you posted is GFXbench 2.5 not 2.7. I'm not trying to be nitpicky but there could be a difference in fps rates between each version.

I'm basing the Cherry Trail-T score (around 100 pts) on 2013 Atom Z3770 results @ GFXBench 2.5 though (+higher clocks and improved drivers you'd expect from the 2014 Atom Z3775 x 2), so the Surface Pro comparison should be valid.

Nothingness

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2013
2.7GHz, minor CPU tweaks.
Thanks, that looks nice if they can keep the power at the same level!

Too bad Intel can't sustain its new Tick-Tock schedule for Atom, not launching CT at IDF :(.
I guess they were very busy with getting 14nm right on track for Broadwell.

BTW do you know if Intel will have a very low power specific 14nm variant as for 22nm? This might explain the CT delay.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Cherry Trail is obviously also going to cut power consumption dramatically with 14nm, but that wasn't a problem with Silvermont anyway.

sSUTv6b.png

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
I suspect anyone enthusiastic about photography may see Real Sense as a must have feature. Consumer electronics is a business prone to fads. Might Bokeh become a chick fad?

Would be nice if it did, but I suspect that Real Sense is going to be one of those features that users won't care about at purchase time initially, not unless Intel focuses adequate marketing on useful usage cases. That said, I'd guess that one someone has actually had a device with and made use of it, well, then it would be a consideration for future purchases.

For example, take that keynote demo of using a picture of a sofa in your living room to calculate its dimensions to the next logical step of replacing that sofa with ones that you're looking at in store. There are just a lot of interesting usages that having a 3D model of reality opens up versus what you can get from a normal picture.

bullzz

Jul 12, 2013
@witeken - there were 2 main issues with bay trail. GPU and cost
cherry trail should address the gpu issue but if intel is able to keep performance the same and bring down the platform cost that should benefit them. most ARM manufacturers have not caught up the silvermont performance until now

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Ok guys i brought a Voyo A1 Mini... its gona take about a month or so to arrive.

Also i was looking at videos to see it dissablembed, i found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J3hqYcWkdY

and thats when i figured out that the Voyos A1 are actually the Emdoor I8080 that where promised to be $100...
Voyo A1 started at about $220, and started to drop, fast, they sell for about $155 to $170 now. At least they have the Z3735D, no G and 2GB of ram, i got it for $158.

I also found out the the chinise guys are setting the igp to 512mb of ram, i hope i can change that on the bios because thats really dumb, the IGP does not need a fixed ram, DVMT does the job well.

oile

Mar 31, 2014
Ok guys i brought a Voyo A1 Mini... its gona take about a month or so to arrive.

Also i was looking at videos to see it dissablembed, i found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J3hqYcWkdY

and thats when i figured out that the Voyos A1 are actually the Emdoor I8080 that where promised to be $100...
Voyo A1 started at about $220, and started to drop, fast, they sell for about $155 to $170 now. At least they have the Z3735D, no G and 2GB of ram, i got it for $158.

I also found out the the chinise guys are setting the igp to 512mb of ram, i hope i can change that on the bios because thats really dumb, the IGP does not need a fixed ram, DVMT does the job well.

I'm looking for a chinese 8 inch tablet with 2gb 32gb baytrail-T (and built in 3G possibly) since weeks.
I've been on every supplier site, alibaba, global market, hktdc, etc.
I even contacted emdoor directly but they don't answer.

I don't understand if EM I8080 has a built in 3G module soldered but not functioning. maybe they have had problems on production line.

On that platform there is voyo A1 mini, PIPO W2, Livefan F8C, and CUBE Iwork 8.
THe only different tablets that I've found are the Vido Yuandao W8C and the newly announced Chuwi VX8 3G deluxe edition

Aug 11, 2008
Would be nice if it did, but I suspect that Real Sense is going to be one of those features that users won't care about at purchase time initially, not unless Intel focuses adequate marketing on useful usage cases. That said, I'd guess that one someone has actually had a device with and made use of it, well, then it would be a consideration for future purchases.

For example, take that keynote demo of using a picture of a sofa in your living room to calculate its dimensions to the next logical step of replacing that sofa with ones that you're looking at in store. There are just a lot of interesting usages that having a 3D model of reality opens up versus what you can get from a normal picture.

Yea, but the problem is, it is a tablet, not a camera. I have a tablet that I use as a camera, but it is not really very adequate as a camera. You can't switch lenses, it doesn't have a viewfinder, and it isn't as convenient to carry around as a phone. So the feature just seems mis-matched to a tablet, and Intel doesn't have much presence in phones. It is sort of like I said before, they keep developing all these gimmics, but still lack what they really need, an integrated modem.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I'm looking for a chinese 8 inch tablet with 2gb 32gb baytrail-T (and built in 3G possibly) since weeks.
I've been on every supplier site, alibaba, global market, hktdc, etc.
I even contacted emdoor directly but they don't answer.

I don't understand if EM I8080 has a built in 3G module soldered but not functioning. maybe they have had problems on production line.

On that platform there is voyo A1 mini, PIPO W2, Livefan F8C, and CUBE Iwork 8.
THe only different tablets that I've found are the Vido Yuandao W8C and the newly announced Chuwi VX8 3G deluxe edition

from what it looks like it seems to be money the only problem, i dont see much point in 3G anyway, if i have my tablet, i gona have my phone too, the phone has BT and 3G, the tablet has BT, just use the 3G from the phone, and also i dont run so hard on the tablet battery.