The Idea of Hordes of "Never Joe" Bernie Bros Not Supported By Two Recent Polls

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It could be! I guess we will find out. None of that changes the fact that your arguments are bad.

People can be wrong while engaging in good thought processes and right while engaging in bad ones. In the end it is certainly possible that you will be right but since every argument you’ve offered actually indicates the opposite of what you’re claiming there’s no reason to think so.

What part of my arguments are bad? The only thing that will elect Biden is hatred of Trump. Trump only needs to be moderately competent the next 6 months to overcome that. His Base is going to enthusiastically vote for him, the Independents can be easily swayed.

I asked earlier, Why did Obama win? It was because People were enthused about him, especially regarding "Hope and Change", the idea that he was going to fix things. Without Enthusiasm for what you are, you are wholly dependent on Hatred of the other Candidate and that is an extremely weak position. Biden is the worst Candidate the Democrats had.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I agree his platform is purposefully vague, which is smart politics. Bernie doing things like saying he would eliminate private insurance were large strategic errors that potentially cost him the nomination. It’s potentially also what sunk Warren.

Voters don’t give a shit about policies, unfortunately. Biden knows this, Bernie apparently does not.

Yeah I doubt that. When Bernie was winning you said you would support the nominee no matter who that was. That coincidentally changed when Bernie lost.

Dealing with the two of them is like dealing with tajbot, only different. Calling down the Biden campaign for telling people to vote in the primaries while supporting Bernie's quixotic efforts to keep them going is a contradiction they manage to ignore entirely. When Bernie finally concedes Dems can declare Biden to be the nominee w/o actually having a convention at all, if they want, thus better maintaining the social distancing so vital in this pandemic.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dealing with the two of them is like dealing with tajbot, only different. Calling down the Biden campaign for telling people to vote in the primaries while supporting Bernie's quixotic efforts to keep them going is a contradiction they manage to ignore entirely. When Bernie finally concedes Dems can declare Biden to be the nominee w/o actually having a convention at all, if they want, thus better maintaining the social distancing so vital in this pandemic.

I can say the same about you guys. The flaws in this Candidate are epically obvious. Yet people have their head in the sand about them, thinking that if no one talks about them no one will notice. People are going to notice once they start paying attention.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I can say the same about you guys. The flaws in this Candidate are epically obvious. Yet people have their head in the sand about them, thinking that if no one talks about them no one will notice. People are going to notice once they start paying attention.

And you'll be there to exaggerate & denigrate, obviously.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What part of my arguments are bad? The only thing that will elect Biden is hatred of Trump. Trump only needs to be moderately competent the next 6 months to overcome that. His Base is going to enthusiastically vote for him, the Independents can be easily swayed.

I asked earlier, Why did Obama win? It was because People were enthused about him, especially regarding "Hope and Change", the idea that he was going to fix things. Without Enthusiasm for what you are, you are wholly dependent on Hatred of the other Candidate and that is an extremely weak position. Biden is the worst Candidate the Democrats had.
I told you why.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
It seems to me that the hope is that Biden is looking to capture the voters who didn't get out and vote during the last election. It's almost like the DNC and the Dem base saw what happened last time and are hoping to not make the same mistakes. Capture the missing votes and hope the Democrat base is smart enough to realize that not voting means 4 more years of GOP bullshit that will not just continue but will accelerate.

If you aren't voting for Biden, I hope you enjoy a more conservative Supreme Court, more lax controls on pollution, reduction in financial controls, and more money for corporations and the wealthy because that is EXACTLY what you will get. That vote is the opposite of what most Bernie supporters in fact want. Once the candidate is a lock, remember that when it's time to vote it is literally <Dem candidate x> or the aforementioned outcomes. Your choice.

I'm curious what the point of this finger wagging is. There are three prominent Biden critics from the "left" on this site: myself, @Moonbeam, and @sandorski. I live in New Jersey, Moonie lives in California, and Sandorski lives in Canada. None of our will have a consequential vote in the GE. If we lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, or wherever, I might not agree with these attitudes, but I would at least understand them.

Biden's appeal is his supposed electability, so why do people get so irritated when we point out problems with his record or his platform? This very thread is about how, despite all the hand wringing, it seems like the Sanders supporters are saying they will vote for Biden in the primary, so why does everyone feel so threatened?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

given that trump hasn't been competent for the last 3+ years, i doubt things will change in the next 6 months.

his base will vote for him no matter, but i think a lot of people are realizing just how bad the shit show this administration has been. don't get me wrong, i don't think any of the heavy red states are going to approach anywhere near purple (except texas), but the swing states? i think biden can very well capture those, and that was the difference between winning and losing in 2016.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
says the guy who's been melting down for the last few weeks.
Well I could answer that it's Trump Derangement Syndrome and the corresponding reaction that like TDS is to conservative insanity, is itself a reaction to the insanity in liberals that Trump creates. You are, in short, possibly so terrified of a Trump win that you also have gone quite insane and will vote for a savior rather than the candidate that most directly addresses the real issue in American politics, that democracy is dead. You see, you don't really see that democracy is dead because you are part of the reason it is. You are not voting with courage and vision but out of fear. Try that on as a possibility.

You don't have to be afraid yourself to suffer from fear. Mulla Nasrudin.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
He's having near daily Cognitive episodes now.

I haven't heard any news of that-could you point to legit news source links for say five such incidents in the last week?

At the moment you are sounding more and more like a useful idiot for the Trump/Putin team and less and less like the Bernie Bro you portray yourself as.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well I could answer that it's Trump Derangement Syndrome and the corresponding reaction that like TDS is to conservative insanity, is itself a reaction to the insanity in liberals that Trump creates. You are, in short, possibly so terrified of a Trump win that you also have gone quite insane and will vote for a savior rather than the candidate that most directly addresses the real issue in American politics, that democracy is dead. You see, you don't really see that democracy is dead because you are part of the reason it is. You are not voting with courage and vision but out of fear. Try that on as a possibility.

You don't have to be afraid yourself to suffer from fear. Mulla Nasrudin.
In terms of the reforms needed to restore American democracy Bernie will do nothing to help that happen. No president can because the requirements are constitutional amendments and the president doesn’t get a say in those.

This is what I’ve never really understood. You guys think Bernie’s policies are better, great. Do you see any even remotely plausible path for him to enact ANY of them?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Seems like it makes more sense for me to melt down than for you guys, you're getting what you want, no?
as an overeducated white person who mostly talks to overeducated white people, i was team liz. you don't see me shitposting all over the internet. well, not about joe, at least.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
as an overeducated white person who mostly talks to overeducated white people, i was team liz. you don't see me shitposting all over the internet. well, not about joe, at least.
Yup, I was team Warren as well. When she lost I was disappointed. Then I got over it and remembered what was actually important.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I haven't heard any news of that-could you point to legit news source links for say five such incidents in the last week?

At the moment you are sounding more and more like a useful idiot for the Trump/Putin team and less and less like the Bernie Bro you portray yourself as.

You're not hearing it, cause the MSM is not mentioning it. Even when it happens in front of their eyes. A few recent examples here. I have previously posted others.

Reactions: DaaQ

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
voting for the democrat nom, as was always the plan (not that it matters here in texas, thanks southern white slaveowners!). with a field of 50 and mostly single, nontransferable votes, you get who the plurality decides. and the plurality for democrats is african americans and olds.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
In terms of the reforms needed to restore American democracy Bernie will do nothing to help that happen. No president can because the requirements are constitutional amendments and the president doesn’t get a say in those.

This is what I’ve never really understood. You guys think Bernie’s policies are better, great. Do you see any even remotely plausible path for him to enact ANY of them?

In order to get such things done, you first need to choose someone who believes in them and will fight for them.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
voting for the democrat nom, as was always the plan (not that it matters here in texas, thanks southern white slaveowners!). with a field of 50 and mostly single, nontransferable votes, you get who the plurality decides. and the plurality for democrats is african americans and olds.

Right, so Biden is an acceptable substitute for your first choice, which brings us back to my original question, what is the point of the finger wagging? The three of us have no political or persuasive power, our votes do not matter. Where is this coming from?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's remarkable how you ignored what you quoted.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In order to get such things done, you first need to choose someone who believes in them and will fight for them.

Not really relevant for the presidency as the needed reforms are constitutional amendments at both the federal and state level and the president has no power to enact either.

If democratic reforms are what is needed then the presidency is the least important office for them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not really relevant for the presidency as the needed reforms are constitutional amendments at both the federal and state level and the president has no power to enact either.

If democratic reforms are what is needed then the presidency is the least important office for them.

The President has influence. That said, those are only part of his platform, most of his proposals don't have such requirements.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
My problem with Joe, is that he completely stood aside during his prime chance at becoming president. He completely bowed out, to give the second coming of Clinton, no resistance in her path to the nomination. Like he felt guilty of the rolfstomp Obama gave her during 08. Or the DNC told him stay out IDK, but that is what it looks like.
He should have ran in 16, probably would have won. He didn't and now we have what we have.
I like Sanders, I think he can do well against Trump on the debate stage. I think Joe is going to have trouble.
Then again it is all going to come down to who survives this current situation come November.

I have not seen anything from Biden since the primaries have been postponed. It's a good thing too if the above video is anything to go by.

I will vote for whoever is the nominee against the current President, but I will not be surprised to see this current president get re elected, based off of the vast majority of people that still think "news" is not allowed to lie to it's viewers, and that whole "fair and balanced" bullshit that people have been brainwashed with.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Right, so Biden is an acceptable substitute for your first choice, which brings us back to my original question, what is the point of the finger wagging? The three of us have no political or persuasive power, our votes do not matter. Where is this coming from?
seems like those are questions you should be asking yourself.