The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's not an oil bath air cleaner. That's ricer snake oil. An oil bath cleaner pulls the air through oil like a bong, and the oil traps particulates. That's how real VWs worked. You bought 4qt of oil, 3.5 went in the motor, and the other .5 went in the air cleaner.

How small are the air bubbles?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I bought this power supply adapter to help with that, but apparently the voltage or whatever isn't enough to power my air compressor correctly. The air compressor works via a car cig lighter every time while this adapter only works some of the time. Anyone know why? I use it to blow up bicycle tires too so the cig lighter interface is not ideal.

adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RZQ9WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
air compressor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCG24KJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your 10A 12VDC power brick is not outputting 10A.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
No idea. You can't see in it. Going from distant memory, it's a split metal canister with a perforated metal insert. That sits in the oil, and the carb intake is above.

edit:
Here's a pic...

cp033655-air-cleaner-intake-1969-vw-beetle-bug-oil-bath-aircoole.jpg

Looks like dirty air goes through the side, filters through the metal, then down the center to the carb. Haven't worked on a Vdub in decades. I really miss those cars. Thoughtful design throughout. They're what a basic car should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: highland145

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No idea. You can't see in it. Going from distant memory, it's a split metal canister with a perforated metal insert. That sits in the oil, and the carb intake is above.

edit:
Here's a pic...

cp033655-air-cleaner-intake-1969-vw-beetle-bug-oil-bath-aircoole.jpg

Looks like dirty air goes through the side, filters through the metal, then down the center to the carb. Haven't worked on a Vdub in decades. I really miss those cars. Thoughtful design throughout. They're what a basic car should be.

Lol that would gum up a modern engine in no time.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Lol that would gum up a modern engine in no time.
I don't know about that. AFAIK there isn't anything fancy going on with air intake. It works like it always did, except the fuel gets injected into the cylinder instead of being pulled from a carburetor.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't know about that. AFAIK there isn't anything fancy going on with air intake. It works like it always did, except the fuel gets injected into the cylinder instead of being pulled from a carburetor.

Good air filters trap 99.5% of particulates bigger than 20 microns.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
It wouldn’t gum up the engine, maybe the catalytic converters though and would be atrocious for emissions. Clean air is nice. Also sounds like a huge maintenance pain when paper filters work great and take 5 minutes to swap. Interesting idea though, I hadn’t heard of that before.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It wouldn’t gum up the engine, maybe the catalytic converters though and would be atrocious for emissions. Clean air is nice. Also sounds like a huge maintenance pain when paper filters work great and take 5 minutes to swap. Interesting idea though, I hadn’t heard of that before.
You don't lose much(any?) oil in the cylinder. It's definitely more work than paper, but what was nice about the Vdubs is you only needed a gasket set to change the oil. You could keep several in the glove box. The oil filter was reusable. You drop it out the bottom(draining the oil in the process), swish the filter in some gasoline, let it dry, then put it back with a new gasket set. More or less the same with the air filter. Where something like that really shines is when you're out in the boonies, or maybe a third world country. You don't need much of anything special to maintain the car.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Hmm, and here I thought my old Suburban was just puking up oil into the air filter because cracked head or bad valves. It was supposed to do that?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think magnetic charging mouse pads would make a fuckload of sense for mice. Seriously, think about it.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Egg poaching pan from amazon.Used once, and will never use again.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I bought a Nest Protect the other day.

When I was very young, almost too young to understand fully, family friends of ours died from carbon monoxide poisoning. It always stuck with me.

The last few years I've woken up with a pretty bad headache after falling asleep in my home theater (in the basement) a few times. I'm sure it's only sinus stuff from dust, cat hair etc but I decided to double up on protection anyway. I have a CO alarm that I check often but I still don't fully trust it for some reason. And now I have two.

Since the NP is connected to the internet it'll alert me if there's ever a problem, even when I'm not home. I'd hate for my cats to croak while I was away.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its International Womens Day:

(Probably should have bought it a while back)

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think magnetic charging mouse pads would make a fuckload of sense for mice. Seriously, think about it.

Charging above 80% is where most of the battery wear occurs. Constantly charging a mouse would kinda ruin the internal battery.

Most wireless non-gaming mouses that are not rechargeable last 6+ months on a set of batteries anyway.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
#14 mesh fanbois can lick me where I pee. #18 mesh blows out #14 mesh (if you want to call that a mesh) on every benchmark.

Edit: Oh, this isn't the video card forum, nevermind.

• Haha
Reactions: Perknose

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Charging above 80% is where most of the battery wear occurs. Constantly charging a mouse would kinda ruin the internal battery.

Most wireless non-gaming mouses that are not rechargeable last 6+ months on a set of batteries anyway.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
That's why I said "non-gaming"

I had the original Logitech G7 with hot-swap battery cartridges and a desktop gang charger. A wireless gaming mouse drains the battery fast because it doesn't "sleep" the laser / optical sensor.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
KOSS KSC75 on ear for when my sonys need charging.Not tried them out yet.Not expecting much as they were cheap.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
3 rolls of toilet paper for $1 at the flea market. I've been low on TP since I got back from Thailand on February 16 and just haven't had a chance to buy any. The flea market vendor had huge boxes of 2-ply toilet paper from some kind of janitorial supply. I probably should have bought more, but a few rolls should get me by until I can buy one of the mega packs I usually do.

Chemical Brothers "Brotherhood" compilation CD from Goodwill thrift store. 50% off $1.99, but I rounded-up to $2 anyway.

Huge "combo" pizza from Costco.

Picked up a Louis Vuitton hand bag for my friend for $250 from a Facebook Marketplace seller. Can someone tell me if this looks real or bootleg?

imgur.com/a/ZGSirom

Last edited: