The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I wasn't sure if I was going to get this as it release was delayed almost a full yea, and there weren't any images of it outside of the company's promotional pictures (which many times looks better than the actual production units).

However, it looks really good in person and I'm glad I took a chance on it. A lot of Mark Hamill Star Wars toys are often weird looking when it comes to his face.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Not for me, but some random thing for work. I wanted a steel plate for crossing trenches with the excavator. The standard for road plates is A36 steel 1" thick. The lightest one I can rent weighs 1634 pounds. That's pushing the 35G lifting capacity.
The mini excavator is not heavy nor does it make a point load like a wheel and tire. I started brainstorming with equipment forum guys, and settled on a 5/8" plate 6' x 6', cut from A514, also commonly known as T1 steel. It gets heated to 1600+ and quenched with water, a process called austenitizing. Then it is tempered at a similar temperature and allowed to air cool.
The resulting material has a tensile yield exceeding 110,000 PSI, vs the 36,000 PSI for A36 steel.
It is more like a spring plate. It can be bent, but not likely by the mini excavator. It *only* weighs 918 pounds! The seller was kind enough to let me use his torch to cut a hole in the center and one on the edge for picking.
PXL-20210110-223314521.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
A bunch of wood and concrete to finish my gaming table. Goal for tomorrow is to secure the frame to the legs, the table top to the frame, and pour the concrete to make the playing surface.

Frame
PXL_20210117_014012603.jpg

What will be the tabletop
PXL_20210117_014016828.jpg

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I have tried repeatedly to make tables from two by fours. They always come out crummy.

What I've found is that the proper tools make all the difference. A planer to make everything flat, and a table saw to make the sides square. Lumber varies in straightness and flatness, so buying oversized pieces with enough stock to remove to ensure straight and flat finished pieces is really essential. Of course those two tools are nearly $1000 combined. Not exactly worth it for the occasional DIY
Also I suck at cutting things to the right length. I have a few gaps in places that are like 1/8". Just a matter of practice though *shrug*

Reactions: snoopy7548

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Finally most of my pre-orders have arrived (with some of them being delayed for almost a full year due to Covid).

I knew this Soundwave was going to be bigger (listed at 11.5" high), but this thing is just massive. The Soundwave on the left is listed at 9.5", but the new one just dwarfs it in size. The details and adjustability on this thing is just crazy (and yes, Ravage does transform into a cassette tape and fits in Soundwave's compartment like the G1 toys).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: nisryus and Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I finally caved & bought a slow juicer with the last bit of my stimulus. First of all, watch the most amazing Engrish video you've ever seen: (7th thumbnail, underneath the main pic)

Second, juicers have come a looooooong way! My original masticating juicer (Champion model) was more than double the cost of this one (which has been relegated to chocolate-making duty these days), plus there's always a $40 off coupon floating around. For $120, it's an absolutely incredible device - easy to setup, easy to clean, does a great job juicing! I kind of have a love/hate relationship with juicing, because it can get expensive unless you can find a CSA or other bulk resource (i.e. local farm), but drinking fresh mixed veggie/fruit juices is also like drinking NOS from the Fast & the Furious and makes you feel ridiculously good within like 5 minutes of drinking it lol. I've been going through the recipes on this website, which are surprisingly good for not having any refined sugar added:

I've done Can't Beet It, Sweet Satin, and The Wingman so far. I don't think I've ever juiced a sweet potato before & it was actually pretty good haha! My procedure is:

1. Wash all produce with a Japanese veggie scrub brush (Kamenoko Tawashi, brilliant tool!)
2. Chop all produce into chunks (I recommend a 10" Chef's knife; I use a Dalstrong model off Amazon)
3. Run everything through the juicer
4. Pour the juice through a metal sieve into a big cup (if you have a small one, you'll need to rinse it a few times because the particles will clog it)
5. Chug that puppy & proceed to see the colors of the universe with your brain lol

For some reason, it is extremely satisfying chopping stuff up & turning it into juice. Reminds me of doing arts & crafts in elementary school - just a pure, simple joy lol.

1611518611487.png

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I finally caved & bought a slow juicer with the last bit of my stimulus. First of all, watch the most amazing Engrish video you've ever seen: (7th thumbnail, underneath the main pic)

Second, juicers have come a looooooong way! My original masticating juicer (Champion model) was more than double the cost of this one (which has been relegated to chocolate-making duty these days), plus there's always a $40 off coupon floating around. For $120, it's an absolutely incredible device - easy to setup, easy to clean, does a great job juicing! I kind of have a love/hate relationship with juicing, because it can get expensive unless you can find a CSA or other bulk resource (i.e. local farm), but drinking fresh mixed veggie/fruit juices is also like drinking NOS from the Fast & the Furious and makes you feel ridiculously good within like 5 minutes of drinking it lol. I've been going through the recipes on this website, which are surprisingly good for not having any refined sugar added:

I've done Can't Beet It, Sweet Satin, and The Wingman so far. I don't think I've ever juiced a sweet potato before & it was actually pretty good haha! My procedure is:

1. Wash all produce with a Japanese veggie scrub brush (Kamenoko Tawashi, brilliant tool!)
2. Chop all produce into chunks (I recommend a 10" Chef's knife; I use a Dalstrong model off Amazon)
3. Run everything through the juicer
4. Pour the juice through a metal sieve into a big cup (if you have a small one, you'll need to rinse it a few times because the particles will clog it)
5. Chug that puppy & proceed to see the colors of the universe with your brain lol

For some reason, it is extremely satisfying chopping stuff up & turning it into juice. Reminds me of doing arts & crafts in elementary school - just a pure, simple joy lol.

Nice. My original masticating juicer (10 years ago?) was like 400 bucks. At 120, that's awesome!

Dec 10, 2005
With some help of the stimulus check that I didn't really need, I got myself a small 4.5" dobsonian telescope.
1611524827724.png

Would have liked to get something larger, but that will have to wait for some future living situation. Right now, we live on the 2nd floor of a triple decker, so the logistics involved would be much more complicated (eg, navigating narrow stairs; having to drive to a local park instead of just walking over). The smaller size at least makes it easier to move and set up, as well as makes it easy to take when we go camping.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Nice. My original masticating juicer (10 years ago?) was like 400 bucks. At 120, that's awesome!

Yeah, it's just as good as my Champion masticating juicer, but faster, lighter in weight, smaller, quieter, and faster/easier to clean. The plastic system is really amazing, it's come a long way over the years! To the point where I don't mind pulling it out every morning to juice because while it's still a bit of a chore, it's not as much of a hassle to use, which makes a BIG difference in day to day usability!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Finally most of my pre-orders have arrived (with some of them being delayed for almost a full year due to Covid).

I knew this Soundwave was going to be bigger (listed at 11.5" high), but this thing is just massive. The Soundwave on the left is listed at 9.5", but the new one just dwarfs it in size. The details and adjustability on this thing is just crazy (and yes, Ravage does transform into a cassette tape and fits in Soundwave's compartment like the G1 toys).

View attachment 38473

View attachment 38474

View attachment 38475
Do tell more about this. Specs, pricing, and where did you get it from? When I was a kid, I always liked the original Sound Wave and the original voice but I was too poor to buy one. Gotta have it now.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Do tell more about this. Specs, pricing, and where did you get it from? When I was a kid, I always liked the original Sound Wave and the original voice but I was too poor to buy one. Gotta have it now.
Don't blame me if you become an addict like me, as these aren't cheap. :p

Here are the two Soundwaves I own, and I usually use BigBadToyStore for a good portion of my Star Wars and Transformers stuff.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/111371

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/91964

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Why in the world do you have a screen door separating your garage from the living area? o_O

During the spring, summer and fall we can prop open the door to the house, open the sliding glass door in the back of the house and the garage door and we get a nice breeze that blows right through the main living area of our house. The screen door keeps our cats from escaping.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Nice! But didn't you used to be the self proclaimed president of anti-suv brigade? Also you were against big V8 engines.

ATOT never forgets. We don't drive much but when we do we want to enjoy it. Oh, and the Range Rover has an inline six cylinder engine with mild hybrid technology.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
During the spring, summer and fall we can prop open the door to the house, open the sliding glass door in the back of the house and the garage door and we get a nice breeze that blows right through the main living area of our house. The screen door keeps our cats from escaping.

is there a solid door that we cannot see or is there always a screen door there?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Don't blame me if you become an addict like me, as these aren't cheap. :p

Here are the two Soundwaves I own, and I usually use BigBadToyStore for a good portion of my Star Wars and Transformers stuff.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/111371

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/91964

Thanks for the links. You are correct that they are not cheap but I think they are worth it because it is officially licensed and made by metals and not plastics. Nice find.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks for the links. You are correct that they are not cheap but I think they are worth it because it is officially licensed and made by metals and not plastics. Nice find.
No problem. The Threezero Soundwave is awesome......I just have to pick up some small batteries at the store so I can make his eyes glow.

An addict always knows a way to find their next hit. :p

I've also used https://www.sideshow.com/ and https://www.entertainmentearth.com/ for toys before as well. Sometimes one site might have a better sale or free shipping, so they are good choices as well.

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006

View attachment 38473

View attachment 38474

View attachment 38475
I have many of the original first series Transformers from TOS including Soundwave and several of his cassettes.

Reactions: UsandThem