The GOP Platform of 1956

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
1) It's the dog whistle connection the GOP wants to make

2) Lee Atwater already explained it:

Sorry you can't read and comprehend.

Incase you missed it, that is the strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968. Most of the people that were in House and the Senate then aren't even alive anymore. And wouldn't ya know it, all three members still in the Senate and House since 1968 are all Democrats.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
chart_births_20070918.gif

Seems to me like if anything birth control leads to more out of wedlock births.

You do realize that people used to rush out and get married when the pregnancy was detected? They do that so much anymore.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Yes, everyone who tells you you're wrong wants to "send all conservatives to the gulag." Amazing debate skills at work here. You're allowed to express your view, I'm allowed to say it's stupid, and vice versa. That's how free speech works, not you getting to express your view without any consequences.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Incase you missed it, that is the strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968. Most of the people that were in House and the Senate then aren't even alive anymore. And wouldn't ya know it, all three members still in the Senate and House since 1968 are all Democrats.

From his biography:

Harry Shuler Dent, Sr. (c. 1930 – October 2, 2007) was an American political strategist and father of financial prognosticator Harry S. Dent, Jr.. He is best known as the architect of the Republican Southern Strategy. The elder Dent worked for Strom Thurmond, Barry Goldwater, and Richard Nixon during the realignment of the Democratic and Republican parties starting in the Civil Rights era, and for Gerald R. Ford, Ronald Reagan, and George H. W. Bush later on.[1]
In the 1950s, Mr. Dent joined the staff of Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, who was then a Democrat and had run for president as a segregationist Dixiecrat in 1948.

LULZ. He, like most dixiecrats, jumped ship to the GOP. Also, it's hilarious that he worked for Strom Thurmond... you realize that Strom jumped ship to the GOP as well, right? You know, the guy Trent Lott said American would have been better off if he was elected president? Of course you guys got mad at Trent, but not because of what he said, but the fact that he said it publicly when conservative racism is supposed to be kept quiet and said in hushed tones.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
From his biography:

LULZ. He, like most dixiecrats, jumped ship to the GOP. Also, it's hilarious that he worked for Strom Thurmond... you realize that Strom jumped ship to the GOP as well, right? You know, the guy Trent Lott said American would have been better off if he was elected president? Of course you guys got mad at Trent, but not because of what he said, but the fact that he said it publicly when conservative racism is supposed to be kept quiet and said in hushed tones.

You were asked to prove that "Your whole strategy is to appeal to racist southern whites. And it continues to this day."

To prove that, you link to a statement from 1968. Well done sir.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
You were asked to prove that "Your whole strategy is to appeal to racist southern whites. And it continues to this day."

To prove that, you link to a statement from 1968. Well done sir.

Hey, if you want to ignore PRESENT DAY dog whistle politics that i pointed out earlier...

Which isn't surprising that you would ignore reality but somehow take fake news as 'real'.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Hey, if you want to ignore PRESENT DAY dog whistle politics that i pointed out earlier...

Which isn't surprising that you would ignore reality but somehow take fake news as 'real'.

Blah Blah Blah, prove your nonsense or shut up. 1968 is not present day.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

You mean like Tax cuts.

Now I am confused. If the Republican base is suppose to be so stupid how are they suppose to pick up on the subtly that tax cuts means anti-black?

EDIT: Or you know you could point out which parts of the Republican platform YOU personally feel are racist?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sort of true. We are more like meeting in the middle.

I should have been more specific. The rest of the world is catching up in capabilities, meaning that US lifestyle will have to come down to share the wealth with the rest of the world. Of course the ultra rich will be ultra rich no matter where they go, but the average lifestlye worldwide will have to meet somewhere in the middle. The good ol' days are long gone.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
That your chart really doesn't tell much. Other than that being a single mother is much more economically feasible and less of a social stigma then it used to be decades ago.

More economically feasible. I would say that is largely wrong. You might want to take a look at the poverty rate for single mothers vs. married couples. As well as the enormous amount of money spent bailing them out. Being a single mother is about as economically feasible as financial institutions investing all of their money in CDS based on inflated housing prices.

There is clearly less of a social stigma. which is the whole point of the graph. The traditional 2 parent family clearly did exist.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
You mean like Tax cuts.

Now I am confused. If the Republican base is suppose to be so stupid how are they suppose to pick up on the subtly that tax cuts means anti-black?

EDIT: Or you know you could point out which parts of the Republican platform YOU personally feel are racist?

The argument, whether you proscribe to it or not, doesn't rely on everyone 'getting' why they agree so strongly with a position. In some cases, maybe many cases, it can simply be long-simmering resentment at blacks for perceived injustices in life (didn't get into the school this person wanted 'because of affirmative action,' poor because 'blacks take welfare money and so his taxes,' whatever other justifications some people make to blame their troubles on others) that then fits with what the dog whistle is implying. If you're angry at the "welfare queens" eating up your taxes, and your image of a "welfare queen" has always been a single black woman buying nice things and fancy foods (or junky foods) with food stamps, then whether or not you see "food stamp president" as race baiting, it fits with racist parts of your overall worldview and you'll respond more powerfully to that phrase.

There are long-standing stereotypes and archetypes for black people. Angry black man; magical negro, playing off of how 'exotic' and 'other' they are; lazy and unscrupulous; stupid and beastly, which actually has ties to decades of then-respected scientific 'race theory' that was taken very seriously by nearly everyone, especially during the eugenics era. You can see these stereotypes in the words that some liberals argue are code-words for "black guy in power." 'Angry' fits the first one; all the 'European model,' 'born in Kenya,' not a 'real American' stuff fits the second one; Michelle Obama as a 'wookie' or 'gorilla' or calling her 'fat' and mocking the healthy eating stuff ties into the last two. Worrying about an "unfathomable darkness" falling over the country is pretty obvious, if you're looking from this perspective.

It's kind of like how poll taxes and literacy tests are perfectly defensible things to propose in some ways, but were used to enforce the racist system that created them. Defenders could say "but how can they be expected to vote well when they don't have a stake in the system by paying taxes? How can we trust them to vote well if they're not even literate? We're not being racist!" But of course that's exactly what was intended.

You don't have to agree with any of these arguments, but at least make a good faith effort to understand the perspective and history behind them.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Blah Blah Blah, prove your nonsense or shut up. 1968 is not present day.

See: Romney Commercials about stripping the work requirement for welfare. It's a complete lie, but it plays nice with racists.

Also: Birth certificate nonsense.

You idiot.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
See: Romney Commercials about stripping the work requirement for welfare. It's a complete lie, but it plays nice with racists.

Also: Birth certificate nonsense.

You idiot.

That's your proof of racism? I have seen the commercial. No mention of race and not even a black man in the ad. Race Bait much? The people who believe in Bigfoot have better evidence that you. You are such a joke.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
That's your proof of racism? I have seen the commercial. No mention of race and not even a black man in the ad. Race Bait much? The people who believe in Bigfoot have better evidence that you. You are such a joke.

Don't be intentionally obtuse. Look up what 'dog whistle politics' mean. oh wait, it's not intentional, you're actually that stupid, given that you think fake news stories are real.

Apr 27, 2012
The whole idea is to make the 'black guy' look 'foreign' and 'unamerican'. It's disgusting race baiting. Oh and look at the disgusting and dishonest commercial romney put out about welfare and the work requirement, classic dog whistle politics trying to appeal to racists.

But its perfectly alright for obama and the democrats to lie?

There is nothing racist about the democrats pandering to minorities with welfare, keeping them at the bottom therefore on government :D

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Don't be intentionally obtuse. Look up what 'dog whistle politics' mean. oh wait, it's not intentional, you're actually that stupid, given that you think fake news stories are real.

You really are a 1 trick pony.

Nov 29, 2006
I should have been more specific. The rest of the world is catching up in capabilities, meaning that US lifestyle will have to come down to share the wealth with the rest of the world. Of course the ultra rich will be ultra rich no matter where they go, but the average lifestlye worldwide will have to meet somewhere in the middle. The good ol' days are long gone.

True. Yeah global economy!! oh..wait..

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

Gotta give you credit. You hear a talking point and you vomit it out continuously.

"[Y]ou're actually that stupid" - those are pretty damned impressive intellectual credentials. Do you really expect somebody to take you seriously? I'm starting to think you're a parody poster.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
There are long-standing stereotypes and archetypes for black people. Angry black man; magical negro, playing off of how 'exotic' and 'other' they are; lazy and unscrupulous; stupid and beastly, which actually has ties to decades of then-respected scientific 'race theory' that was taken very seriously by nearly everyone, especially during the eugenics era. You can see these stereotypes in the words that some liberals argue are code-words for "black guy in power." 'Angry' fits the first one; all the 'European model,' 'born in Kenya,' not a 'real American' stuff fits the second one; Michelle Obama as a 'wookie' or 'gorilla' or calling her 'fat' and mocking the healthy eating stuff ties into the last two. Worrying about an "unfathomable darkness" falling over the country is pretty obvious, if you're looking from this perspective.

I notice you left out "Uncle Tom" and "house Negro". I'm sure those were oversights. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait - you can only be racist against left-leaning black people, right?

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
I notice you left out "Uncle Tom" and "house Negro". I'm sure those were oversights. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait - you can only be racist against left-leaning black people, right?
Uh, yes, they were oversights, in the sense that I wasn't completely comprehensive. "Dirty" is another big one, "cheerful Sambo," "Mammy." You can absolutely be racist against right-leaning black people. I don't understand how you think I suggested otherwise.