The GOP Platform of 1956

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
"We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs—expansion of social security—broadened coverage in unemployment insurance —improved housing—and better health protection for all our people."

Also: Dwight Eisenhower warning against the military industrial complex.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25838

Remember when Republicans were decent human beings? Yeah it's been a while.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Remember when Tom and Jerry didn't talk?
Remember when Coyote used phones to order items from Acme to get the Road runner and not the internet?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Remember when Democrats used to say "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
All 13 of them. Your fearless Senate leader Robert Byrd didn't jump ship.

Yes, because the South is still a Democratic stronghold:

Bob Herbert, a New York Times columnist, reported a 1981 interview with Lee Atwater, published in Southern Politics in the 1990s by Alexander P. Lamis, in which Lee Atwater discussed politics in the South:

Lee Atwater

You start out in 1954 by saying, "N*****, N*****, N*****." By 1968 you can't say "N*****"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.[36]
And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N*****, N*****".[7]

Herbert wrote in the same column, "The truth is that there was very little that was subconscious about the G.O.P.'s relentless appeal to racist whites. Tired of losing elections, it saw an opportunity to renew itself by opening its arms wide to white voters who could never forgive the Democratic Party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks."[37]

Following Bush's re-election, Ken Mehlman, Bush's campaign manager and Chairman of the RNC, held several large meetings with African-American business, community, and religious leaders. In his speeches, he apologized for his party's use of the Southern Strategy in the past. When asked about the strategy of using race as an issue to build GOP dominance in the once-Democratic South, Mehlman replied, "Republican candidates often have prospered by ignoring black voters and even by exploiting racial tensions," and, "by the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African-American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out. Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."[[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
All 13 of them. Your fearless Senate leader Robert Byrd didn't jump ship.

I do always find it funny how Republicans will bring up the history of the racism that was Southern Democrats. Ignore that those people were embraced by the Republican party when they left. Ignore the widespread blatant racism that is rampant in their party today. And bring up Senator Byrd. He's one man who is dead. The GOP current candidate has already started race baiting with his "no one has ever asked to see my birth certificate" statement.

The good that was in the GOP left to the Democrats, and the bad that was in the Democratic party went to the GOP, so you can't claim history when current day shows a much clearer picture. And that picture is that if you're a Republican voter nowadays, you are automatically a bad human being.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The GOP platform of 1956 favored the "safety net" because they needed the vote from the New Deal coalition.

As much as I hate FDR, I have to give him credit for outsmarting the Rockefeller Republicans (4 times) who were really just out for power as is made evident by the fact that they knew damn good and well you can't make govt efficient. First FDR deceived the American electorate by attacking the rockefeller republican candidate for spending too much, then FDR does the same thing he fooled people into thinking he was against, then he gets a majority hooked on the New Deal, then he runs against 3 more Rockefeller Republicans who pretend govt can be efficient and beats their sorry asses every single time.

In conclusion... it was most fortunate for the Rockefeller Republicans and especially eisenhower that Adlai stevenson ii wasn't a master politician like FDR was.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I do always find it funny how Republicans will bring up the history of the racism that was Southern Democrats. Ignore that those people were embraced by the Republican party when they left. Ignore the widespread blatant racism that is rampant in their party today. And bring up Senator Byrd. He's one man who is dead. The GOP current candidate has already started race baiting with his "no one has ever asked to see my birth certificate" statement.

The good that was in the GOP left to the Democrats, and the bad that was in the Democratic party went to the GOP, so you can't claim history when current day shows a much clearer picture. And that picture is that if you're a Republican voter nowadays, you are automatically a bad human being.

We wouldn't even hear about Racism if the Dems didn't play the race card every single time we have a criticism about the President. If we say Obama is angry, which if you watch his speeches he raises his voice quite often, we are racist. Say he is going to raise taxes, we are racist.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
See, Republicans apologize for the Racists, Democrats make them their leader in the Senate.

Your whole strategy is to appeal to racist southern whites. And it continues to this day. I'm sorry you're too stupid to see this, but what can i expect from you when you can't even tell a fake parody news story from a real one.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Your whole strategy is to appeal to racist southern whites. And it continues to this day. I'm sorry you're too stupid to see this, but what can i expect from you when you can't even tell a fake parody news story from a real one.

Feel free to point out which parts of the 2012 Republican Platform you feel are racist.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Heck, if I hated blacks I could just vote Democrat and accomplish my goals just fine. Democratic strongholds like Detroit and Camden NJ bring to mind African shithole dictatorships with their corruption and violence. Inner city pathology, crime, and lack of educational achievement rival rates seen in Haiti. And middle class and upper class folks in the nicer parts of cities with sizable inner city poor live in mortal fear of mass riots/uprisings, not that I really care that some Manhattanites get hanged by the mob. In absolutely no case have Democratic policies helped in any of these issues; indeed it's fairly clear to any objective viewer that their policies have made things demonstrably worse.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

You got a link with any proof that our strategy is to appeal to racist southern whites?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Remember when poor people didn't have 3 kids with as many men... 2 of which are in prison?

I love how you purposefully used "people" instead of "women."

lol you're not fooling anyone, but at least you seem aware of how your hangup with women appears to others...

Last edited:

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Remember when poor people didn't have 3 kids with as many men... 2 of which are in prison?
Just because it didn't happen in Mayberry doesn't mean it didn't happen. People have always had sex, and birth control is a relatively new invention.
The mythical, all-white, 2.5 kids nuclear family 'moral' America you think used to be never existed. We did used to have people selling off their own children they'd created by raping their slaves, so I guess that's an American tradition we've let slip away from us somehow. We did used to have millions of children working 12+ hour days in textile mills and coal mines rather than go to school, so maybe we're letting that work ethic slip away.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
You got a link with any proof that our strategy is to appeal to racist southern whites?

I already posted 2, are you retarded? Also see: conservatives still going on about Obama being a secret kenyan muslim. Which, not surprisingly, southern white conservatives are most susceptible to, according to polls.