The "Golden Age" of ATOT

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Hot deals nearly made me go bankrupt saving money too.
ROFLYES! I bought stuff I had zero use for, just because it was a killer deal. Hard to sell it here, because everyone knew what you paid ;) I was not willing to ebay back then either.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
I think a lot of the threads worth reading were real people in real scenarios. A lot of the threads are content taken from another place.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I think a lot of the threads worth reading were real people in real scenarios. A lot of the threads are content taken from another place.
I am not so certain about the real scenarios part, in some cases. But, at least they were highly entertaining and creative. Creativity being the operative word here.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Good times, good times. I lurked for a few years before I finally joined.

Maybe history will repeat itself, maybe not. Here's hoping: :beer;

SViper

Feb 17, 2005
There was a certain person (who shall remain nameless) who exploited a vulnerability in the boards and took complete control. He unbanned and banned a few people before the mess got all sorted out.

I still have screenshots of his monologue from that day.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
There was a certain person (who shall remain nameless) who exploited a vulnerability in the boards and took complete control. He unbanned and banned a few people before the mess got all sorted out.

I still have screenshots of his monologue from that day.

Link? Post?

Silly LoKe... :)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
one of the greatest golden ages IMHO was ATOT's complete domination of Ikariam.
Twas quite awesome.

Conquered Theta.

Some of us are still there, in some fashion. I'm only kind of "there", in that I don't really actively do a whole lot anymore. I'll mainly gold farm, then when a war comes, build up a reasonably epic navy and jump to the top 10 Generals Score on the server, do some damage, and then go back to gold farming.

M4H just merged with Valorian Mercenaries, now the #1 alliance on Theta. Some of the haters over in Wrath are begging to have their towns looted, so we shall oblige. :)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Oh I've made the comment observation many times... when they relxaed the rules is when the downhill momentum gained serious speed. I still love my AT, but I started here because it was the one, fairly civilized place on the web (still is by many standards I guess).

what are you talking about, atot was most lively when there were few rules, let alone about "babe threads". it got murdered when the mods decided that they needed atot to be presentable to anands mother or something. and its never been the same since. its a lesson, with a certain amount of chaos comes creativity and life. which is why 4chan is a meme generator, and atot is now pretty much irrelevant on the web and is pretty dead a lot of the time now.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
The golden age was before fusetalk.

/thread
//possible exception up to about mid 2002.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that it was the Nowheremom era... Which would be 2000 through early 2001.

And, YES, I had another account back then.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I am feeling nostalgic for back when I first ventured in here. A time when there were already so many ATOT memes, I had to either search, or wait for some kind soul, to explain what was going on.

In the spirit of that time, I submit for your edification, a true classic of the era http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDPdCzCfFM&feature=related

As hard as it is to imagine, some of you have likely never seen this before. I hope you enjoy it, as much as I did, the first time I saw it.

and thats why u are a mod!

loved it!

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I only joined in '05, and would say '05-'07 were "golden" for me.

Really, this place is still interesting, it's just that a lot of the older members got too mature to visit here anymore (i.e. they got lives :p) and the forum changes alienated a lot of the other members.

Last edited:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I only joined in '05, and would say '05-'07 were "golden" for me.

Really, this place is still interesting, it's just that a lot of the older members got too mature to visit here anymore (i.e. they got lives :p) and the forum changes alienated a lot of the other members.

Nah, they just use Facebook instead.