The GOG & Steam Sale Thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Context makes it pretty easy, the post immediately preceding that started with "Unreal Tournament 3".

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
So anyways... This Summer sale sucked big, hairy ones...

Hardly anything interesting, and those that actually were, were not discounted enough to warrant buying. Warhammer II: Total War is still too expensive, especially its DLC. Same for Rome II, Attila and the like... Call of Duty games are a complete ripoff.

Good thing I have an insane amount of great games to play I bough earlier during various sales. But that's beside the point. The main point being, I couldn't enlarge my collection too much, this time around. And I am used to doing that every summer.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Another good sale of a few titles on Newegg - picked up The Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein II the new colossus for $15 each.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Pretty sure the sale didn't 'suck'. It's just so common and so many other avenues to buy games cheap that it has to practically be $5 or less to look like a deal for things you didn't buy in the last 5 years. I made a valiant effort and only bought Darkest Dungeons.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got Day Of The Tentacle 70 percent off.
Keep hoping for a Maniac Mansion remake but this is good too.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I got 5 games for $10 bucks total.
Lego Batman
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman 3
Arkham Knight Premium Edition
Desert Law.
I already had Arkham Knight for Xbox One but this PC version came with the season pass which I didnt want to pass up. Plus I have been wanting to do another play through since it is such a great game!!
May sign up for Humblebundle this month too for, A Hat In Time.
Looks fun plus I love platformers.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I got 5 games for $10 bucks total.
Lego Batman
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman 3
Arkham Knight Premium Edition
Desert Law.
I already had Arkham Knight for Xbox One but this PC version came with the season pass which I didnt want to pass up. Plus I have been wanting to do another play through since it is such a great game!!
May sign up for Humblebundle this month too for, A Hat In Time.
Looks fun plus I love platformers.

If you sign up for humble bundle, I have a referral code.

Unfortunately, it gives me $8 and you nothing.:) I can probably find a game key if you want, PM me.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the offer, but I am only doing month to month cause I cant afford the yearly plan right now due to me still trying to pay off my current PC Build. I do generally do the pay what you want promo when awesome games pop up though. I just seen that they had A hat in time and Conan the exile and really wanted to give them a try. Oh and you get the escapest 2 in this bundle as well but I dont think I will really ever play that game.
Really into cutesy mario style platformers and zelda style adventure games.
Any suggestions??

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Thanks for the offer, but I am only doing month to month cause I cant afford the yearly plan right now due to me still trying to pay off my current PC Build. I do generally do the pay what you want promo when awesome games pop up though. I just seen that they had A hat in time and Conan the exile and really wanted to give them a try. Oh and you get the escapest 2 in this bundle as well but I dont think I will really ever play that game.
Really into cutesy mario style platformers and zelda style adventure games.
Any suggestions??

Ah, it's a code for even just one month, if I recall. By the way, the platformer I like is the now-free "The Lost Vikings", Blizzard's first game.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I like the new Steam GUI btw... little bit more modern but still clean and lightweight.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Its not that impressive (discord lookalike jokes are obvious and everywhere) and buggy. So far I'm not hating it looks wise as it seems my friends list hasn't been screwed over like some are describing with group lists and game list screwing up their custom set ups. They got rid of offline mode for the friends list and I can't figure out why they would. You are basically logged into the chat/friends list all the time.The invisible mode is new but you can't even start steam with that set to auto load, you can only log off in invisible mode and it will remember that you were in that mode next time you start steam. There are times I do not want to be online in steam but that is crazy to valve UI designers.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
custom launch options?

There is a way to revert back:
- Right click on your steam client shortcut
- Click Properties
- Paste "-nochatui -nofriendsui" without the quotation marks after the target (Under the shortcut tab)
- If you have steam pinned to your taskbar or hotbar replace it with the shortcut
- Enjoy!

I did notice the offline option going away along with the omission of the 'log onto friends when steam starts' option. I guess I don't really care much about that at the end of the day though. They'll add it back if most players don't like it... besides the point of removing it I realize but it's Valve.

...who I have a love/hate relationship with already btw.

Reactions: William Gaatjes

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Forgot how much fun Day Of The Tentacle is.

And the new rendering looks great. Developer commentary is nice too. They got almost everyone from the original project to come back and discuss the process.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Forgot how much fun Day Of The Tentacle is.

And the new rendering looks great. Developer commentary is nice too. They got almost everyone from the original project to come back and discuss the process.

I never actually played Day of the Tentacle, maybe I should pick it up. Currently My GF and I are playing Grim Fandango on the big screen TV in our living room. These point and click adventure games work surprisingly well as a group game in the living room setting.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
How is Steam these days? I've been out of the loop for years, but I've resurrected my interest with my 2010 high end PC.

Feb 4, 2009
You can return Steam games?

You can now. I forgot the exact terms but it’s like 30 minutes of play time or 10 days whichever is first
Process is a little funny, you put a support ticket in, select refund, wait a day or two.

I’ve returned one game for not running good and two for not being what was expected.