The first 2012 Presidential Debate - 10\03\12 - 6 p.m. PT (9p.m. ET)

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
How do you prepare for a debate when your opponent just makes shit up? My gosh. Obama is in trouble if he doesn't get his head in the debate. He can't see himself as the president on that debate stage.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Watched the debate with friends and was impressed at the opportunity for the two candidates to state their respective cases and to challenge their opponent. I believe this made for one of the best debates in any number of election cycles.

Those on this forum that have bought into the Democrat propaganda about Romney got a wake up call.

I found this live blog by leftist Andrew Sullivan essentially captured what happened -

It is going to be interesting to see Paul Ryan destroy Joe Biden next.
Obama was/is a mess.

-John

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Agree on the natural gas. PA has a bunch but some PA representatives are against it. Also I have a coworker that is getting $5,000 a year for property rights. Hell sign me up for that.

The pipe line is a good thing it will create jobs. I would rather have it coming from Canada then middle east. It is a win all around.

Only $5K? Down here, we used to have overnight millionaires with royalty payments and mineral payments. Note the words "used to" because the price/payment have crashed since the heyday of 2007-20008.

Canada >>>>> Middle East for sure. We can get off their oil and give the fingers to those bastards.

Back on topic. ABC News Nightline just gave the nod to Romney for tonight debate.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
The last debate is foreign policy, arguably one of Obama's greatest strengths.

I can see the merit of such an approach even if I don't agree that conceding so much rhetorical advantage to Romney in this debate was a great idea.

Ah, but you forget that Romney has foolproof plans to rein in Iran, Iraq, the rest of the Middle East, North Korea, Al Qaeda, and every other threat facing America.

Just don't ask him what those plans are (other than throwing an extra $2 trillion at the DoD that somehow won't increase our deficit).

In any case, Obama will need to vastly improve his performance from tonight regardless of the debate emphasis.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Obama did just fine. He didn't have to win the debate. He has a commanding lead. All he had to do was show up and not put his foot in his mouth.

Romney came out desperate because he had to. It may have played to his base, but I thought he came off as way too try hard.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
The foreign policy debate is yet to come...

Obama is going to be hurting as he tries to explain how he abandons the Iranian People (and Greens) in favor of the Iranian Theological Government.

-John

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It is going to be interesting to see Paul Ryan destroy Joe Biden next.

Assuming Biden has no fight would be a big mistake. Biden can be as aggressive as he wants because he's Biden and the press hardly bats an eye at some of the crazy shit he says anymore. Ryan enjoys no such luxury.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Presidental Debate - World Class City - Denver
Vice Presidental Debate - wha?

-John ;)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
If I remember right from four years ago, Obama was supposed to play nice in the first debate, and Joe Biden would play the attack dog. That didn't really happen because he was shooting fish in a barrel and didn't want to come off as too big an asshole.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
You have had four years to see what Obama really is.

Do you have a question about Romney?

-John

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Romney came off WAY too desperate.

Obama's tone was perfect tonight. I felt he fumbled with his words a bit, but it has been awhile since he's debated.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
LOL, Obama was clueless, stuttered, and looked to the moderator for help.

-John

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Obama, the teacher.
Romney, the kid constantly late to class and always with the excuses.
So if you were the teacher, wouldn't you have had enough of this stupid kid and his excuses?
Romney acted like he was on something. Speed? Sugar high? Too many cans of mountain dew?
I thought Romney was irritating and strange acting.
I sure wouldn't want to hear this guy lie that fast for 4 years.
When your wife talks to you like that, you usually leave the room or take the dog out for a walk. The last thing you do is stay in the room.
I mean really....?

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Obama: If you re-elect me, I'll do what I promised to do last time. Really, guys.

Romney: If you elect me, I'll take you to magical unicorn land.

Feb 19, 2001
Assuming Biden has no fight would be a big mistake. Biden can be as aggressive as he wants because he's Biden and the press hardly bats an eye at some of the crazy shit he says anymore. Ryan enjoys no such luxury.

Yeah but if there's no intelligence in Biden's comments, big deal?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah but if there's no intelligence in Biden's comments, big deal?

Biden is typically well prepared for this sort of thing, he was against Palin even though she ended up torching herself. If they stray into Medicare waters...Ryan trying to beat up Biden on healthcare would play extremely poorly with the elderly.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Just keep this in mind.
Mitt Romney has been all over the place with issues.
Obama has been level headed and stable.
Kerry thought he was the big winner after his debate too.
Funny how that didn't work out in the end.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Mitt definitely had the better performance in this debate. Obama looked like he was caught off guard with most of Romney's claims.

When I hear the sentance "we need to lessen our dependence on foriegn oil", if we lose the word foriegn we've got something.

Yeah' this is why i found it amusing when Romney attacked Obama for investing in green energy like its a bad thing. Cause if theres anything the government should be doing in regards to energy, its getting us off fossil fuels as much as possible.

I wish Obama actually responded to that remark.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Mitt definitely had the better performance in this debate. Obama looked like he was caught off guard with most of Romney's claims.

Yeah' this is why i found it amusing when Romney attacked Obama for investing in green energy like its a bad thing. Cause if theres anything the government should be doing in regards to energy, its getting us off fossil fuels as much as possible.

I wish Obama actually responded to that remark.

Investing in green energy is one thing, but throwing billions of dollars down the crapper is another. Maybe invest in companies that aren't going to fail the minute you write the check might be an idea........;)

cganesh75

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Super Moderator
Oct 8, 2005
Obama: Business gets tax deductions for shipping jobs to china.
Romney: Business gets tax deductions for shipping jobs to china? I need a new accountant

Jan 25, 2011
Obama: Business gets tax deductions for shipping jobs to china.
Romney: Business gets tax deductions for shipping jobs to china? I need a new accountant

Was starting to wonder if I was the only one who picked that up. When Romney said that I asked the wife if he really just said he needs to find out if he can get more money out of dumping jobs.

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Debates can't have teleprompters=Fail for Obama. They need to script the next one so Obama will know what to say.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Investing in green energy is one thing, but throwing billions of dollars down the crapper is another. Maybe invest in companies that aren't going to fail the minute you write the check might be an idea........;)

Easier said than done :)

Ill admit Obama's record here isn't stellar, but given the options, ill much rather see some money wasted in these efforts than it being poured into the military or more corporate welfare for oil companies.