The first 2012 Presidential Debate - 10\03\12 - 6 p.m. PT (9p.m. ET)

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Ya but he would know what is working if it was his state.

Obama's contention is Romney will cut education if elected. One cannot tell from Massachusetts if that claim is true or not. Remember that Romney had a heavily Democratic legislature. He couldn't do anything without their cooperation.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
He said he was going to end China's cheating. Lord knows Obama hasn't. He said he is going to invest in energy independence, which is jobs for Americans (period). No outsourcing. etc. etc.

He can and will answer every one of your questions.

-John

With no actual specifics...

I'm starting to think Mitt either reads or participates at P&N...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think Romney won by a landslide but he did it the way he does everything, by lying. He went to the left of Obama and was for everything Obama is for but better.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007

At some point you understand that a person, who has been in business, has competed against China, knows when China is cheating.

As opposed to a politician, like Obama.

-John

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
He said he was going to end China's cheating. Lord knows Obama hasn't. He said he is going to invest in energy independence, which is jobs for Americans (period). No outsourcing. etc. etc.

He can and will answer every one of your questions.

-John

And you answered with no specifics. None. Obama wants energy independence too. What tax breaks will you end???

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I don't think Obama or his camp thought Mittens would bring it tonight.

The only thing I regret is that the debate on Thursday isnt round two. When it boils down to it, I don't think anyone cares about Biden or Ryan.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

That is my biggest criticism of Romney: lots of promises but zero detail. "I'm going to cut trillions in taxes and simultaneously reduce the deficit." How? "Well, I just am." (Paraphrased, of course.)

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
I think Romney won by a landslide but he did it the way he does everything, by lying. He went to the left of Obama and was for everything Obama is for but better.
He was extremely right. I cringed at times as he said "Hell, yeah, I'm not raising taxes and PROUD OF IT!"

Very straight-forward, very honest, very ready and willing to take on this countries problems.

Mitt Romney.

-John

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I don't think Obama or his camp thought Mittens would bring it tonight.

The only thing I regret is that the debate on Thursday isnt round two. When it boils down to it, I don't think anyone cares about Biden or Ryan.

oh, I think you may be wrong... that debate will be when the shivs come out....

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I want to focus on what I think is Romney's latest whopper.

He said "there are no tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas"

Gotta do some digging but I think this is a bald face lie.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Obama's contention is Romney will cut education if elected. One cannot tell from Massachusetts if that claim is true or not. Remember that Romney had a heavily Democratic legislature. He couldn't do anything without their cooperation.

Exactly it was what he said when asked how he would bringing both sides together. Mitt knows how to work with both sides because he had to.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I do admire how Romney could be both for and against Simpson Bowles within minutes on the same broadcast and claim to have his own different and more effective ( but still top secret) plan. You've got to have some brass balls for that one.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
And you answered with no specifics. None. Obama wants energy independence too. What tax breaks will you end???
Romney is going to allow a pipeline from Canada to (I think) Louisiana, that will carry oil. That is as close a specific as I can give you. Obama veto'd it. Romney will pass it. Call it a public works project if you want, but it puts Americans to work, and helps our energy independence.

-John

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
very interesting debate.
President Obama definitely came out flat, repetitive and more importantly defensive.
That along caused him the debate. However, knowing Obama there is more to come.

Mitt Romney's strategy was quite interesting. He almost sounds democrat, as if he was Obama 4 years go. Energy jobs, middle class...etc. Knowing the state of the Republican party, I am weary of the "truth" behind his words.

However, they are typical politicians that will say anything to get a vote.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
I want to focus on what I think is Romney's latest whopper.

He said "there are no tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas"

Gotta do some digging but I think this is a bald face lie.
LOL, please pm me when you find this. LOLOLOL!

Tax breaks? For shipping jobs overseas?

How ludicrous!

Jobs are shipped overseas because of minimum wage laws, lawyers, insurance companies, etc... not for tax breaks.

-John

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Jobs are shipped overseas because of minimum wage laws, lawyers, insurance companies, etc... not for tax breaks.

-John

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
very interesting debate.
President Obama definitely came out flat, repetitive and more importantly defensive.
That along caused him the debate. However, knowing Obama there is more to come.

Mitt Romney's strategy was quite interesting. He almost sounds democrat, as if he was Obama 4 years go. Energy jobs, middle class...etc. Knowing the state of the Republican party, I am weary of the "truth" behind his words.

However, they are typical politicians that will say anything to get a vote.

Why do you think Dems own energy and the middle class. You sound like that is the Dems domain...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Romney is going to allow a pipeline from Canada to (I think) Louisiana, that will carry oil. That is as close a specific as I can give you. Obama veto'd it. Romney will pass it. Call it a public works project if you want, but it puts Americans to work, and helps our energy independence.

-John

Keystone XL. You mean the pipeline that will transport Canadian oil to refineries in Texas that will export it as refined product abroad with almost none of it ending up in the US and maybe a dozen permanent jobs? That pipeline?

Aggressive offshore drilling. What could possibly go wrong?

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
When people say Romney made some impossible promises, didn't Obama also made some impossible AND broken promise 4 years ago?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Every time he tried to confront him on facts Romney denied everything and tried to co opt Obama's stances on everything.

Then you don't let it go, you keep pressing. When you have a snake in your hands and he is trying to get away, you don't release your grip you squeeze tighter.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

-John

You left out an important fact about that "veto".

There was a safety review in progress and the Repoublicans forced a vote before it was finished it so Obama vetoed.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005

-John

You ignore me again on tax breaks. And how about those tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations how's that gonna help me? And how is building a pipeline from a foreign country even if it is Canada help us attain energy independence?? Doesn't energy independence imply we get all our energy from just the USA??

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I do admire how Romney could be both for and against Simpson Bowles within minutes on the same broadcast and claim to have his own different and more effective ( but still top secret) plan. You've got to have some brass balls for that one.

It was the same/next sentence.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012

-John

Really? That sounds like some contractor will get an outrageous package and take forever to complete the task. A lot of money? Yes. A lot of Jobs? No.

Petroleum and "energy independence" just don't belong in the same sentence. Sorry.