The first 2012 Presidential Debate - 10\03\12 - 6 p.m. PT (9p.m. ET)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Romney won but only though his approach. His positions have the substance of a fog bank and he made a number of impossible to keep promises. Romney quadrupled down on a number of lies like the 700 billion medicare cut that has been debunked by everyone....that could come back to cost him in the media as the week goes on.

I was getting the impression that Obama was holding back quite a bit, be it hesitation or strategy we will see.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Romney wins on aggression but he again didn't give one damn specific. I have a serious problem with that. He dodged questions and interrupted too much. Sure that looks nice to Joe American but give me specifics.

He gave some specifics; and then correctly pointed out that to be bipartisan you need to meet the legislators and work with them before deciding on a course. Expecting him to write a complete U.S. budget isn't realistic; Obama didn't have many specifics when he ran either. Remember "Hope" "Change", etc. I remember having discussions with my family about how he just kept saying that over and over without any real tangible specifics on several issues.

I think Mitt won this debate, not sure by how much, but he definitely won

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Romney clearly owned this how can you even debate education when Romney's state has the number 1 schools. What was Obama even doing up there he sounded to mellow like he did not care.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Agreed. It also annoys me that the President hasn't even rebutted the $716B Medicare assertion, which completely misleading and has been repeated at least 5 times.

Seriously. I can't believe Obama didn't fight back against that once.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Romney won but only though his approach. His positions have the substance of a fog bank and he made a number of impossible to keep promises. Romney quadrupled down on a number of lies like the 700 billion medicare cut that has been debunked by everyone....that could come back to cost him in the media as the week goes on.

I was getting the impression that Obama was holding back quite a bit, be it hesitation or strategy we will see.

I agree.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Romney clearly owned this how can you even debate education when Romney's state has the number 1 schools. What was Obama even doing up there he sounded to mellow like he did not care.

Um, MA has had great schools for decades. This is not something you can credit Romney with.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I am watching Stephanie Cutter CNN. She must have watched a different debate. She all but said Obama won. She took a swipe at the moderator saying with Romney they didn't even need a moderator. I guess she didn't see Obama's 4.5 minute overrun.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Obama displayed what his weakness has been all along, unwillingness to confront.

He seemed passive with no real conviction.

Every time he tried to confront him on facts Romney denied everything and tried to co opt Obama's stances on everything.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

This is how I see it - Ronmey won, but not in a good way. He was aggressive and controlled the format.

I was worried about the president - aggravated in fact. There was so much low hanging fruit that he could have used against Romney - at times I was nearly shouting at my television. He had the opportunity to wrap Romney up in his own lies...and he refused to do it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yes 5 vaguely specific ideas. I want details man. What tax breaks are you gonna end? What are you going to do about China? Outsourcing? Etc etc.

If someone is 5"5" and is 500lbs and is asked what you are going to do about your weight problem a Romney answer is to get skinny

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Both candidates seemed pretty defensive and the debate didn't really go anywhere. They'd deflect from what might be body blows (i.e. Romney on how he covers pre-existing conditions) and filibuster with talking points.

Romney is the default winner for having stood on stage with the President, but there is nothing here to change the course of the race IMO. The next two figure to be similar.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That is the HOPE you still have left. Get ready for some CHANGE.

The last debate is foreign policy, arguably one of Obama's greatest strengths.

I can see the merit of such an approach even if I don't agree that conceding so much rhetorical advantage to Romney in this debate was a great idea.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Yes 5 vaguely specific ideas. I want details man. What tax breaks are you gonna end? What are you going to do about China? Outsourcing? Etc etc.
He said he was going to end China's cheating. Lord knows Obama hasn't. He said he is going to invest in energy independence, which is jobs for Americans (period). No outsourcing. etc. etc.

He can and will answer every one of your questions.

-John

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
This is how I see it - Ronmey won, but not in a good way. He was aggressive and controlled the format.

I was worried about the president - aggravated in fact. There was so much low hanging fruit that he could have used against Romney - at times I was nearly shouting at my television. He had the opportunity to wrap Romney up in his own lies...and he refused to do it.

I think the President played it smartly. Remember Carter tried to tear down Reagan--what happens there is the challenger is allowed an opening to elevate and create an image of himself next to a feckless President.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Both candidates seemed pretty defensive and the debate didn't really go anywhere. They'd deflect from what might be body blows (i.e. Romney on how he covers pre-existing conditions) and filibuster with talking points.

Romney is the default winner for having stood on stage with the President, but there is nothing here to change the course of the race IMO. The next two figure to be similar.
Obama was very weak tonight. I think you underestimate how bad he was.

-John

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
If someone is 5"5" and is 500lbs and is asked what you are going to do about your weight problem a Romney answer is to get skinny

and Barrack answer will be it is someone else fault, the government will take care everything so that person can eat more and be even more fat.