The Financial Disasters That Comes With Divorce: Mortgage & Equity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yes, we could sell the home for even more than I think it is worth (~$300K; paid $250K in 2001)
You must live in an area with a depressed housing market, or have let the house fall into disrepair.

Here a house that sold for $250K 20 years ago and kept up, would probably be in the 800K range.
Example, found one on Zillow that sold in 2002 for 185K, now asking 728K

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You must live in an area with a depressed housing market, or have let the house fall into disrepair.

Here a house that sold for $250K 20 years ago and kept up, would probably be in the 800K range.
Example, found one on Zillow that sold in 2002 for 185K, now asking 728K
It's Georgia. Between the Brown hood rats and White rednecks, crappy weather, crappy location, and ugly city in Atlanta, it's unsavory as fuck. .

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's Georgia. Between the Brown hood rats and White rednecks, crappy weather, crappy location, and ugly city in Atlanta, it's unsavory as fuck. .
You're clueless. Georgia is large state, and Atlanta is called capital of the South for a reason. People in Atlanta are friendly and population diverse. City and state have great warm/hot climate, central location near the ocean and mountains, giant modern airport connected to the world, and booming economy with plenty of high-tech jobs and opportunities for growth. Cost of living is reasonable and housing is still affordable. Great place to live.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You're clueless. Georgia is large state, and Atlanta is called capital of the South for a reason. People in Atlanta are friendly and population diverse. City and state have great warm/hot climate, central location near the ocean and mountains, giant modern airport connected to the world, and booming economy with plenty of high-tech jobs and opportunities for growth. Cost of living is reasonable and housing is still affordable. Great place to live.

I was in Atlanta downtown for work about 9-10 years ago. It was a shithole. Gotten any better? Or are just the burbs ok? A decent amount can change in 10 years, I've seen it happen. But man, was it not impressive. Out of the 16 major US cities I traveled to that year, it was on the bottom 3 for me.

Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Portland, St. Louis, Orlando, Chicago, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc..

That's where I went that year.

St. Louis, Baltimore and Atlanta were the worst. Though Baltimore had that nice harbor area, though very small geographically speaking, and St. Louis had a fun neighborhood I got to with the light rail. But honestly, they were all the worst on that list. Orlando is kind of a crap town to. I'd never want to live there.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I was in Atlanta downtown for work about 9-10 years ago. It was a shithole. Gotten any better? Or are just the burbs ok? A decent amount can change in 10 years, I've seen it happen. But man, was it not impressive. Out of the 16 major US cities I traveled to that year, it was on the bottom 3 for me.

Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Portland, St. Louis, Orlando, Chicago, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Nashville, Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc..

That's where I went that year.

St. Louis, Baltimore and Atlanta were the worst. Though Baltimore had that nice harbor area, though very small geographically speaking, and St. Louis had a fun neighborhood I got to with the light rail. But honestly, they were all the worst on that list. Orlando is kind of a crap town to. I'd never want to live there.
So you visited Atlanta for work. Whoopee-do. So what did you do? You probably stayed in some business hotel downtown, walked couple blocks after work, and went back up to your hotel room and ordered room service. That was your visit. Whoopee-do. Did you at least go to a titty bar?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So you visited Atlanta for work. Whoopee-do. So what did you do? You probably stayed in some business hotel downtown, walked couple blocks after work, and went back up to your hotel room and ordered room service. That was your visit. Whoopee-do. Did you at least go to a titty bar?

Haven't been to a titty bar since my early 20's, so that's a no. I was in my early 30's when I was there. Hey don't take it personal, downtown was a shithole, can't admit it? Were the burbs better I guess? Simple question.

I was there to run and market an event that I did for two years. That also included NYC. The most city city in the USA. Do the skyscraper count, most other cities are kinda villagey. I don't count NYC as a travel city though.

I mean Nashville was great. Walkable, lots of great places to eat and entertain. Music, food. It was a really cool vibe. Hot women. Phoenix, you know, like a little village, but definitely not a shithole. Cool desert vibe. San Diego, really, what else is there to say. Gorgeous city. Portland? Picturesque, cool scene, quirky. Denver, I mean very unique city, appealing, mile high, Rockies as the background. Dallas and Houston, I mean they were like the least pedestrian friendly cities, but they weren't shithole looking. Boston is an attractive city, lots of plusses. Chicago, now that's a vertical city. Looks like Gotham. Lots of crime but lots more people. At least it has a city draw where it's nice. Philly, I mean there are rough edges, but like a paradise compared to Atlanta city proper. Etc... Everywhere was pretty nice except those few cities. But Atlanta's downtown was really shitty. Instant turnoff. I mean has it gotten better? Strange you can't just say how much nicer it's gotten.

I've literally seen cities around here transform in 20 years. I guess Atlanta not so much? Good place to catch a connecting flight though.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That city looked old and austere in Baby Driver.

Despite my hatred of Maryland, I'm not downgrading to moving down there. Like all metros, there are encalves of high property value neighborhoods but necessity can spur invention and innovation in a negative way among the less endowed and those already learned in obtaining advantages by theft and other petty crimes.... Folks will break into cars, steal, etc.

There was one very striking crime story on the show True Crime Daily in which that girl was friggin kidnapped and only saved because her mom taught her to defend herself using psychology, with CSI as the practical textbook.

And another:

Exterior politeness means jack. I've dealt with enough people who are well-spoken pieces of shit, and Blacks are no exception...perhaps the most adept at facade building, in fact.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That city looked old and austere in Baby Driver.

Despite my hatred of Maryland, I'm not downgrading to moving down there. Like all metros, there are encalves of high property value neighborhoods but necessity can spur invention and innovation in a negative way among the less endowed and those already learned in obtaining advantages by theft and other petty crimes.... Folks will break into cars, steal, etc.

There was one very striking crime story on the show True Crime Daily in which that girl was friggin kidnapped and only saved because her mom taught her to defend herself using psychology, with CSI as the practical textbook.

And another:

Exterior politeness means jack. I've dealt with enough people who are well-spoken pieces of shit, and Blacks are no exception...perhaps the most adept at facade building, in fact.
It's true. Southern politeness. What a sham. Nice to your face. But deplorable fascists underneath that skin deep garbage. Hey, don't get too far out of town, confederate flag southern pride! It's not a white supremacist symbol, it stands for sweet tea! What a bunch of bullshit artists. Enough said.

I'd rather have northeast indifference than confederate flag waving southern hicks. We got plenty of garbage around here, but at least they don't outnumber you in a jiffy like they do down south.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
It's true. Southern politeness. What a sham. Nice to your face. But deplorable fascists underneath that skin deep garbage. Hey, don't get too far out of town, confederate flag southern pride! It's not a white supremacist symbol, it stands for sweet tea! What a bunch of bullshit artists. Enough said.

I'd rather have northeast indifference than confederate flag waving southern hicks. We got plenty of garbage around here, but at least they don't outnumber you in a jiffy like they do down south.

You've got some severe mental issues.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Haven't been to a titty bar since my early 20's, so that's a no. I was in my early 30's when I was there. Hey don't take it personal, downtown was a shithole, can't admit it? Were the burbs better I guess? Simple question.

I was there to run and market an event that I did for two years. That also included NYC. The most city city in the USA. Do the skyscraper count, most other cities are kinda villagey. I don't count NYC as a travel city though.

I mean Nashville was great. Walkable, lots of great places to eat and entertain. Music, food. It was a really cool vibe. Hot women. Phoenix, you know, like a little village, but definitely not a shithole. Cool desert vibe. San Diego, really, what else is there to say. Gorgeous city. Portland? Picturesque, cool scene, quirky. Denver, I mean very unique city, appealing, mile high, Rockies as the background. Dallas and Houston, I mean they were like the least pedestrian friendly cities, but they weren't shithole looking. Boston is an attractive city, lots of plusses. Chicago, now that's a vertical city. Looks like Gotham. Lots of crime but lots more people. At least it has a city draw where it's nice. Philly, I mean there are rough edges, but like a paradise compared to Atlanta city proper. Etc... Everywhere was pretty nice except those few cities. But Atlanta's downtown was really shitty. Instant turnoff. I mean has it gotten better? Strange you can't just say how much nicer it's gotten.

I've literally seen cities around here transform in 20 years. I guess Atlanta not so much? Good place to catch a connecting flight though.
So where did you stay downtown? Where did you go and what did you do? Did you visit Midtown? Virginia Highland? Little Five Points? Lenox Park Buckhead? I'm pretty sure answer to all my questions are NO. Like I said, you walked block or two after work near the hotel you were staying in and then went back up to your room and ordered room service and watched TV. Tell me I'm wrong. But I bet you I'm 100% correct. At minimum I would've visited The Cheetah or Pink Pony as a finale after spending the day/evening exploring and dining if I was in Atlanta for business. Atlanta is known for their strip clubs or used to be back in the day. That's why business people loved coming to Atlanta for conventions.

You really do have mental problem and should seek professional help.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145
Mar 11, 2004
So where did you stay downtown? Where did you go and what did you do? Did you visit Midtown? Virginia Highland? Little Five Points? Lenox Park Buckhead? I'm pretty sure answer to all my questions are NO. Like I said, you walked block or two after work near the hotel you were staying in and then went back up to your room and ordered room service and watched TV. Tell me I'm wrong. But I bet you I'm 100% correct. At minimum I would've visited The Cheetah or Pink Pony as a finale after spending the day/evening exploring and dining if I was in Atlanta for business. Atlanta is known for their strip clubs or used to be back in the day. That's why business people loved coming to Atlanta for conventions.

That you keep harping on strip clubs as some major draw says everything and the fact that you can't see how fucking hilariously embarrassing that is, the cherry on top. Based on your sad "BUT YOU DIDN'T VISIT THE STRIP CLUBS!?!?!?! BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING BUT SIT IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM!" argument I'm guessing he got laid more in the two days he was there than you have in 20 years you've apparently been. And he probably didn't have to pay money to do it either.

Says the person that said vaccines are making superbugs. Which, I'm not sure if you're just full of shit or what, but you've made some interesting claims on here, you claimed you had two dependents living with you that were very ill (but of course you won't get vaccinated because you think that's what makes superbugs...), yet you refuse to pay for health insurance, meanwhile you've bragged about having what hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in Tesla? Something doesn't add up.

You being from the South suddenly makes a LOT more sense though. Also telling is how obsessed you are with strip clubs and massage parlors.

Reactions: FreshCrabLegs
Nov 8, 2012
That you keep harping on strip clubs as some major draw says everything and the fact that you can't see how fucking hilariously embarrassing that is, the cherry on top. Based on your sad "BUT YOU DIDN'T VISIT THE STRIP CLUBS!?!?!?! BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING BUT SIT IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM!" argument I'm guessing he got laid more in the two days he was there than you have in 20 years you've apparently been. And he probably didn't have to pay money to do it either.

Says the person that said vaccines are making superbugs. Which, I'm not sure if you're just full of shit or what, but you've made some interesting claims on here, you claimed you had two dependents living with you that were very ill (but of course you won't get vaccinated because you think that's what makes superbugs...), yet you refuse to pay for health insurance, meanwhile you've bragged about having what hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in Tesla? Something doesn't add up.

You being from the South suddenly makes a LOT more sense though. Also telling is how obsessed you are with strip clubs and massage parlors.
Heh, there's some hilarious irony about the folks with posts like this that they are coincidentally the ones that are forever alone in life.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
At one point in my career I spent time doing network installs or upgrades in a number of big cities. Atlanta was one of them.

They all have their good and bad points. But if I had to rank them it would be based on weather. Syracuse NY in winter, to Tampa in August... those are the ones on the bottom of my list. However, Syracuse in the summer was really a nice trip.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I'd rather have northeast indifference than confederate flag waving southern hicks
My statement is much more general and applies to the urban folks as well. The art of deceit isn't bound to political leanings. Some of the politest people in casual conversations were those who were involved in dealing drugs, regardless of color but blacks are part of the group.

I mean, if I move move to really rural Georgia with the white majority, I'd ready for unwholesome language thrown my way, maybe a sneer or two.

And there are plenty of folks with Southern accents with moderate or liberal leanings.

As for dealing with actual Georgians, the only one is via an impersonal relationship with an Atlantan. Black male, well-spoken, no criminal tendencies, but not to be trusted regarding making payments.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I though Southern culture was a thing to apply to whites and not Asians like him? I find their accent quite superior to the news accent blasted through the TV.
He's merely the most interesting Asian on this board...or at least he fashions himself as such.

If I ever fully release my kinky side, I'd go to a Montreal strip club to get my money's worth because...I can touch 'em....and picky beauty standards(come mock me again about that, ponyo)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

For most cities we booked Marriot's, Sheratons, Hyatt's or Hilton's so it was one of those. Only a few cities we used alternate hotels like in Palm Springs, San Diego and NYC and maybe San Fran. I spent 4 days at most cities. Friday I got to each destination as early as I could purely so I could spend most of the day checking out the area. Besides checking in with the hotel event staff, making sure all my stuff arrived safely, getting a lay of the land, I had the day to myself. I was working Saturday all day and half of Sunday. So Saturday night was going out, and Sunday afternoon and evening too. I would fly out as late as possible Monday so I could have more time. West Coast cities I took Thursday night red-eyes so I could have my Friday there. I think only Orlando was a city I did not try to get to early nor leave late. Had no interest in spending an extra minute there. But every other city I went to with an open mind. There were other people working the event with me, we'd go out to dinner together as well, and sometimes I'd hang out with some of the locals that I hired to help with the event. I hired about 8-14 people on average per event to help with basic stuff. Obviously they were all locals.

So Atlanta I was in/near the downtown area at one of those major nicer chains. It was one of the few cities that I walked out of my nice hotel and walked many blocks and it felt and looked shitty. I gave you a list of the cities I went to, and Atlanta had one of the worst downtown areas I've ever seen. It was just uninviting and ugly and a turn off. Maybe it's gotten better. City's do have renaissances. NYC had one. I had no idea Atlanta was known for strip clubs. My goal was to get good food, check out sites, and maybe even meet a local girl and hook up, which happened about 1 in 4 trips. Usually with one of the local girls I hired to help us out. Now Baltimore I did a bunch of walking there too, and that got pretty shitty pretty fast too, but the harbor area, while small, was a really nice little oasis, so that was a redeeming quality.

At the time I was traveling, I was a far more optimistic and less jaded person about the state of the American public. I would say to the point of almost being naive. But I did go into every city with an excited attitude about exploring a new place, and no bias, wherever it was in the country. As I stated, Nashville was a fantastic place to visit, and that is also deep South. I don't remember too many specifics there just that we went to some great restaurants, walking along the river, checking out the strip, and just the overall ambience was very very nice. To me any of these cities was just a new adventure. I seized the opportunity to check out a new place.

A decade later, now that I am far more acutely aware of how shitty so many people are, and the simple fact is, the more in the South you are, the ratio of these shitty people to less shitty people is far higher than anywhere else in the country. Save maybe the Dakotas. And the further you get out of a city the faster the ratio gets worse and worse. So I have no mental problems, I am just more aware now and have more knowledge. Southern hospitality to me at this point is a joke now that I know what a majority of them think, feel and support.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ponyo
Nov 8, 2012
A decade later, now that I am far more acutely aware of how shitty so many people are, and the simple fact is, the more in the South you are, the ratio of these shitty people to less shitty people is far higher than anywhere else in the country. Save maybe the Dakotas. And the further you get out of a city the faster the ratio gets worse and worse. So I have no mental problems, I am just more aware now and have more knowledge. Southern hospitality to me at this point is a joke now that I know what a majority of them think, feel and support.

Someone here is a wee bit racist eh? And by wee bit, I mean FULL ON white supremacy racist lol. Did you make sure to pickup your robe from the dry-cleaners?

1625354189071.png

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Someone here is a wee bit racist eh? And by wee bit, I mean FULL ON white supremacy racist lol. Did you make sure to pickup your robe from the dry-cleaners?

View attachment 46703

You don't even make a point. My point is while we all have our issues in the North and West, we have way less of these people. Ratio wise, the South is the worst:

ap00070101626-4e5f8a1b40df73b275344fc3a1eb39e031d5186a-s800-c85.jpg

Confederacy-supporters-display-their-loyalty-to-Confederate-flag-South-Carolina.jpg

NEWS_150809950_AR_0_RETWLADMIPBP.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
For most cities we booked Marriot's, Sheratons, Hyatt's or Hilton's so it was one of those. Only a few cities we used alternate hotels like in Palm Springs, San Diego and NYC and maybe San Fran. I spent 4 days at most cities. Friday I got to each destination as early as I could purely so I could spend most of the day checking out the area. Besides checking in with the hotel event staff, making sure all my stuff arrived safely, getting a lay of the land, I had the day to myself. I was working Saturday all day and half of Sunday. So Saturday night was going out, and Sunday afternoon and evening too. I would fly out as late as possible Monday so I could have more time. West Coast cities I took Thursday night red-eyes so I could have my Friday there. I think only Orlando was a city I did not try to get to early nor leave late. Had no interest in spending an extra minute there. But every other city I went to with an open mind. There were other people working the event with me, we'd go out to dinner together as well, and sometimes I'd hang out with some of the locals that I hired to help with the event. I hired about 8-14 people on average per event to help with basic stuff. Obviously they were all locals.

So Atlanta I was in/near the downtown area at one of those major nicer chains. It was one of the few cities that I walked out of my nice hotel and walked many blocks and it felt and looked shitty. I gave you a list of the cities I went to, and Atlanta had one of the worst downtown areas I've ever seen. It was just uninviting and ugly and a turn off. Maybe it's gotten better. City's do have renaissances. NYC had one. I had no idea Atlanta was known for strip clubs. My goal was to get good food, check out sites, and maybe even meet a local girl and hook up, which happened about 1 in 4 trips. Usually with one of the local girls I hired to help us out. Now Baltimore I did a bunch of walking there too, and that got pretty shitty pretty fast too, but the harbor area, while small, was a really nice little oasis, so that was a redeeming quality.

At the time I was traveling, I was a far more optimistic and less jaded person about the state of the American public. I would say to the point of almost being naive. But I did go into every city with an excited attitude about exploring a new place, and no bias, wherever it was in the country. As I stated, Nashville was a fantastic place to visit, and that is also deep South. I don't remember too many specifics there just that we went to some great restaurants, walking along the river, checking out the strip, and just the overall ambience was very very nice. To me any of these cities was just a new adventure. I seized the opportunity to check out a new place.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Your state flag still honors the Confederacy. Why are you so in denial about what is going on around you? The fact is a huge chunk of the South is STILL NOT OVER LOSING THE GODDAMN CIVIL WAR for defending white supremacy. I think that's a problem. I guess that makes me disturbed lol

I hope your downtown has gotten nicer in the last decade.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I though Southern culture was a thing to apply to whites and not Asians like him? I find their accent quite superior to the news accent blasted through the TV.
He's merely the most interesting Asian on this board...or at least he fashions himself as such.

If I ever fully release my kinky side, I'd go to a Montreal strip club to get my money's worth because...I can touch 'em....and picky beauty standards(come mock me again about that, ponyo)
lol. You don't need to go to Montreal to touch girls. Pretty much at all clubs you can touch if you have enough money. I've seen some crazy stuff in VIP rooms. You're probably too young to remember but there used to be a club called the Gold Club in Atlanta that was very famous and visited by celebrities and athletes. They did whole lot more than touching at that club. It was big national scandal back in late 90s and early 2000s. At the height of the Dotcom boom and easy money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/24/us/in-testimony-patrick-ewing-tells-of-favors-at-strip-club.html

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Been to Atlanta.
Visited Family in Atlanta for a couple of days.
Been to Atlanta for work.
Only things that really stuck out was that everyone seemed to drive around on worn tires, the "Brown Hood rats" that Mr. 40 year old Virgin mentioned were friendly. Maybe instead of judging people on their appearance maybe you should try talking to people.
I'd have to say everyone walked way too slow. Didn't run into any "Rednecks" but there were plenty of obese white people on scooters.
Took some adjusting to strangers saying hello.
You can always spot the visitors from Atlanta up in NYC. That's stupid painfully slow duck walk.
That's why you people are so damn fat as soon you hit your late 20's. Pick up the damn pace.
Except the runners at Stone Mountain. If I lived there I'd probably go there to run every weekend up that sucker.

However, I would NEVER move to Georgia or anywhere else in the south. My relatives learned that the hard way and have since moved back to NY.
If the average walking pace on a sidewalk is under 4mph, you and your entire state is dead to me.

That and I don't care about Football or Jesus and being asked what branch of the military I'm in or served in.
I simply would not be accepted.

Long story short, I've family in Atlanta.
Torn Mind would probably call them hood rats even though they all have Master degrees and PHd's, kids in college and wear white socks with sandals and walk too fucking slow.

Having said that
Screw Georgia.
Except the places where my friends, and family live.
Those places were nice and I met a lot of nice interesting people.
Also, the hot girls who were sprinting up stone mountain. I hope you didn't get fat and all is well.