The facebook double standards in ISIS attacks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I noticed the overall bias of the media coverage of the two incidences myself.

Kinda disheartening in my opinion. All lives should matter not just the ones that match our own skin color but even if you don't believe that, we should at least be a little more supportive of the lives of people who are striving to reach our type of demacracy/life style otherwise who do you think they will turn to? We've got refugees running away from our supposed enemies and instead of opening our hearts and minds we put them down and cast them aside and put them in the same category as the very terrorists they are trying to run from. Yeah let's advocate genocide of those people/s

Americans had better start looking in the mirror else we will become the very thing that led us to create this great country in the first place. Closed minded oppressors.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Our land isn't the only land on the planet. They need to kill their own terrorists. They need to separate religion from government. They need to protect women and minorities. They need to fight for what they believe in.

They can earn their place in the West, and it starts in their own home.

Nov 25, 2013
Our land isn't the only land on the planet. They need to kill their own terrorists. They need to separate religion from government. They need to protect women and minorities. They need to fight for what they believe in.

They can earn their place in the West, and it starts in their own home.

That's easy to say after a few hundred years of colonial and post-colonial exploitation of the people and resources of the area to the detriment of the general population.

"Tut tut! They need to fix their own problems!"

Sep 12, 2004
That's easy to say after a few hundred years of colonial and post-colonial exploitation of the people and resources of the area to the detriment of the general population.

"Tut tut! They need to fix their own problems!"
WTF are you on about? The dissolution of the Ottoman Empire was barely 100 years ago. And for the most part, they were allowed to keep their lands.

Dare I say that if the winners and losers in that war were reversed, things might not have been so magnanimous.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think the OP has a point. I was surprised to discover that there was an attack in Lebanon with 42 deaths just one day before the Paris attacks and I didn't know about it until I saw it on a wiki page which lists all Islamic terror attacks and seems to be updated daily. Worse still 95 deaths in Turkey and I had no idea even though I read the news daily. I wouldn't expect equivalent coverage but practically no coverage at all sends a poor message.

In some way it also gives the Jihadists a pass because it's important that Muslims know these people are killing other Muslims but they aren't going to know if it's barely being reported outside the countries where it takes place.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You point out where I asked for such a thing first.
<-- you made the statement -- back it up! Did you not say --
How about the double standards on these forums?

A crime committed by a white person; what about the murders in Chicago!?!?

A crime committed by a Muslim; religion of "peace". No mention of the murders in Chicago. Yeah, black live matter amongst the Righthadists and they aren't islamaphobic, sure.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think the OP has a point. I was surprised to discover that there was an attack in Lebanon with 42 deaths just one day before the Paris attacks and I didn't know about it until I saw it on a wiki page which lists all Islamic terror attacks and seems to be updated daily. Worse still 95 deaths in Turkey and I had no idea even though I read the news daily. I wouldn't expect equivalent coverage but practically no coverage at all sends a poor message.

In some way it also gives the Jihadists a pass because it's important that Muslims know these people are killing other Muslims but they aren't going to know if it's barely being reported outside the countries where it takes place.

Agreed. Unfortunately I think it's largely the fault of our News Media. They are so focused on ratings and sensationalism. Paris has excellent access to Live Feeds, Lebanon not so much. That's part of it anyway.

The other major part of it, IMO, is that we generally simply don't care what happens in certain parts of the world. We should and definitely if we had a good News Media we would at least be informed of it, but we don't and we are not.

The other part is that most of us simply don't relate to them, "them" being Middle Eastern Muslims in this case, but that applies to other groups of people in other parts of the world as well. We are used to this kind of thing being common elsewhere, but not in the West which is relatively peaceful and non-violent(in the sense of violence occurring within it, of this kind of scale anyway).

Religious differences is a huge barrier that keeps us from caring. I'm pretty sure that works both ways though. If we all could view others as Human Beings first and not XReligion, that would go a long way to solving this, IMO.

Sep 12, 2004

If terrorist attacks in Muslim countries weren't so commonplace, people probably would care a lot more. They have reaped what they've sown.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I noticed the overall bias of the media coverage of the two incidences myself.

Kinda disheartening in my opinion. All lives should matter not just the ones that match our own skin color but even if you don't believe that, we should at least be a little more supportive of the lives of people who are striving to reach our type of demacracy/life style otherwise who do you think they will turn to? We've got refugees running away from our supposed enemies and instead of opening our hearts and minds we put them down and cast them aside and put them in the same category as the very terrorists they are trying to run from. Yeah let's advocate genocide of those people/s

Americans had better start looking in the mirror else we will become the very thing that led us to create this great country in the first place. Closed minded oppressors.

Maybe they should stay in their country and fight for it? Did the US overwhelm Mexico and Canada with refuges during the civil war? America needs to stay out of the Syrian War, the only thing it'll do for us is create more terrorist that hate us.

Last edited:

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
<--- they were NOT defending democracy!! That is a heap of garbage you are bloviating about!

They (the victims) were a group of HDP (the legal pro Kurdish party in Turkey) members , rallying before the Nov 1st elections. What other kinds of information do you need to change your bigotry ?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
many in this board have said that they do not feel connected with people who were victims of ISIS, in Turkey, in Lebanon. But the victims in those countries were living western style lifes, defending their rights and democracy. By ignoring them you give the following message :

"No matter what you do, we will never care about you, you are different. In your struggle to be like us, you are pathetic. You better die, we love the French better"

That's not what anyone on this board has said. Seems you have an agenda, and no matter what is written about the history of the US and France, it won't distract you from bitching about. There are real answers in this thread to your opening questions. Read them, understand the viewpoint. And stop calling people bigots for something they said that's nowhere close to be bigotry.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Agreed. Unfortunately I think it's largely the fault of our News Media. They are so focused on ratings and sensationalism. Paris has excellent access to Live Feeds, Lebanon not so much. That's part of it anyway.

The other major part of it, IMO, is that we generally simply don't care what happens in certain parts of the world. We should and definitely if we had a good News Media we would at least be informed of it, but we don't and we are not.

The other part is that most of us simply don't relate to them, "them" being Middle Eastern Muslims in this case, but that applies to other groups of people in other parts of the world as well. We are used to this kind of thing being common elsewhere, but not in the West which is relatively peaceful and non-violent(in the sense of violence occurring within it, of this kind of scale anyway).

Religious differences is a huge barrier that keeps us from caring. I'm pretty sure that works both ways though. If we all could view others as Human Beings first and not XReligion, that would go a long way to solving this, IMO.

Yes, that is all true. I also think there is a sense among westerners that this is what happens in the developing world - life is cheap and people die. Heck, sometimes 10's of thousands die in earthquakes and tsunamis. So it doesn't seem like news like it does when it occurs in a western country where such things aren't expected. They should be reporting on at least the larger attacks but news is a business and they only report on what is of interest to readers.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
They (the victims) were a group of HDP (the legal pro Kurdish party in Turkey) members , rallying before the Nov 1st elections. What other kinds of information do you need to change your bigotry ?
They still were NOT defending democracy!! Not democracy as the west defines democracy!!

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
<-- you made the statement -- back it up! Did you not say --

You said:
These forums have no responsibility to make sure there sure no double standards.....if they do point out where it says so...

Off of what I said:
How about the double standards on these forums?

A crime committed by a white person; what about the murders in Chicago!?!?

A crime committed by a Muslim; religion of "peace". No mention of the murders in Chicago. Yeah, black live matter amongst the Righthadists and they aren't islamaphobic, sure.

This is the second time, more clearly though, where I am asking you to point out where I said these forums must have a responsibility to make sure there are no double standards.

You can have double standards.

Just because I shame shitheads like you over them doesn't mean you can't have them.

Same with the idea behind freedom of speech, the confederate flag, etc - perfectly OK, but subject to consequences.

Yell out the n-word because you are exercising your freedom of speech; you then get your jaw busted (this would be a consequence).

Use double standards on these forums; you get called out by me (this would be consequence).

The big difference though, is that you can't send me to prison for handing your ass to you on these forums.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You said:

Off of what I said:

This is the second time, more clearly though, where I am asking you to point out where I said these forums must have a responsibility to make sure there are no double standards. <--- I see that you are of the opinion that you can make misleading statements concerning these forums and playing word games to implie or give the impression that these forums are biased!!

You can have double standards.

Just because I shame shitheads like you over them doesn't mean you can't have them. <-- you only shame what you see in the mirror day in and day out!

Same with the idea behind freedom of speech, the confederate flag, etc - perfectly OK, but subject to consequences. <-- as should be your double speak!

Yell out the n-word because you are exercising your freedom of speech; you then get your jaw busted (this would be a consequence). <-- speaking from experience???

Use double standards on these forums; you get called out by me (this would be consequence). <-- being called out by you..hahahaa..now that's funny!! Being called out by you is the same as Donald trump calling somebody stupid...rofl..hahhaaa

The big difference though, is that you can't send me to prison for handing your ass to you on these forums.
<-- Jesus still Loves you!@!!

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009

That is it right there. Almost all humans with few exceptions if any make decisions based on feelings over all other inputs. The media is run by and caters to religious interests because the religious are both greater in number of viewers as well as decision making executives.

It's a financial decision to cater to the majority as well. Any company that ignores this will soon be swallowed up by financially well to do companies causing the evolution of companies that report based on financial interests over reporting what is really going on with equal or fair airtime. It is a by product of a free market economy so don't take it personally, it's only business.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Maybe they should stay in their country and fight for it? Did the US overwhelm Mexico and Canada with refuges during the civil war? America needs to stay out of the Syrian War, the only thing it'll do for us is create more terrorist that hate us.

Considering the largest and most advanced military in the world has yet to be able to stop ISIS I'm not sure what you expect others to do.

I think we should get out of the Middle East but that wouldn't stop terrorism from happening.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Considering the largest and most advanced military in the world has yet to be able to stop ISIS I'm not sure what you expect others to do.

I think we should get out of the Middle East but that wouldn't stop terrorism from happening.

Our military has been fighting Isis?. That's news to me.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
The day before the Paris attack 43 people were killed and 230 people were injured in an attack that took place in Beirut.

How many of you were even aware of it.

/raises hand.

Was also aware of the recent attack in Turkey.

And yes, those were tragic events.

And no, I didn't change my FB profile.

But I do have a niece living in Paris (who's safe) and my BIL's wife is French (a wonderful woman and a fantastic cook :) ), so this does hit closer to home to me.

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
That's not what anyone on this board has said. Seems you have an agenda, and no matter what is written about the history of the US and France, it won't distract you from bitching about. There are real answers in this thread to your opening questions. Read them, understand the viewpoint. And stop calling people bigots for something they said that's nowhere close to be bigotry.

The real bigot knows himself, you don't have to act like his attorney.