The facebook double standards in ISIS attacks

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
I am very sad about the innocent lives taken by the ISIS bombers and gunmen in Paris.

But just a day before, an equally bloody attack was in Beirut

4 weeks ago in Ankara, 3 months ago in Suruc, Turkey .. again by ISIS

I am sure you did not hear about them and Facebook did not offer to color your profile with Lebanese and Turkish flags (Turks are the 3rd largest Facebook community in the world FYI)

Such responses of the classic and electronic media, intentional or not, create a doubt in the minds of millions around the globe whether a French life is more precious than a Lebanese or Turkish life.

Think and comment about it

http://usuncut.com/world/beirut-this...get-any-media/

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Sure, but then a lot of those countries are ones where that stuff is more common.

Perhaps you have a different perspective but from what I understand Turkey played a double game for a long time and is now paying for it.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I see you are located in Turkey. Don't be offended by the outpouring of support to France and the ignorance to other suffering countries. It should be fairly obvious that we lack an emotional connection to Turkey.

France is like our cool/drunk uncle. We love to hate them and we know them dearly.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Yeah, not to sound like a jerk, but a large amount of Turkey's initial response to ISIS was to attack the Kurds.

Feb 4, 2009
Take no offense the US and France have a long love/hate relationship. France made the American revolution possible. They even gave us the Statue of Liberty which now and at the time was a stunning piece of art that was a monumental challenge to transport here.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
North Americans generally see France as one of our own, so companies jump on the bandwagon and put French flags on everything. Standing behind Turkey awards no social brownie points because we generally don't care about Turkey.

Here's a map of Europe
europe_map.gif

There's an invisible line from the bottom left to the top right to separate "us" from everyone else. The "us" side includes Portugal, Spain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Sweden, and Finland. Everything down and to the right of that invisible line, with the exception of maybe Italy, is "not us" territory. Norway is above the imaginary line, so we're all aware of the 2011 Norway mass shooting. I don't think I have ever hard any news about anything in Czech Republic.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We will carpet bomb brown/asian people with the french. Its how we roll.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
How about the double standards on these forums?

A crime committed by a white person; what about the murders in Chicago!?!?

A crime committed by a Muslim; religion of "peace". No mention of the murders in Chicago. Yeah, black live matter amongst the Righthadists and they aren't islamaphobic, sure.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

A crime committed by a Muslim; religion of "peace". No mention of the murders in Chicago. Yeah, black live matter amongst the Righthadists and they aren't islamaphobic, sure.

We point to Chicago for gun control arguments. Which has nothing to do with Paris aside from all the victims being unarmed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I am very sad about the innocent lives taken by the ISIS bombers and gunmen in Paris.

The West stands united on many things.
We share common ancestors, common heritage, common values.
We reveled together in the European Renaissance which ushered us into the modern age.
We broke Kings and wrote Bills of Rights.
We fought wars together and are comrades in arms.

Nations outside this bond, such as Lebanon, need to earn their place by freeing their people and living peaceful and prosperous lives. The Islamic world in general is going to have a very difficult time earning that trust and comradeship. You need to separate government from religion. You need to respect women and minorities. You need strong Democratic institutions.

Basically you need to relate to us if you want us to relate to you.

Nov 8, 2012
If only I gave a shit about Facebook. Oh what will I do all-day if I don't care what is happening on Facebook????

No but seriously, thanks to events like this it's like a free survey on "who to unfriend" for every dumbass that thinks changing their profile means a single thing other than you being an inconsiderate prick that is desperate for attention.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
We will carpet bomb brown/asian people with the french. Its how we roll.

Except we don't really do "carpet bombing" any more. Our airstrikes involve precision targeting, not saturating large areas with unguided bombs.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Except we don't really do "carpet bombing" any more. Our airstrikes involve precision targeting, not saturating large areas with unguided bombs.

Unless you're talking about drones. Gotta bop a couple dozen innocent schoolchildren every now and then.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Sorry but people putting that flag filter on there facebook are morons. Its just like M.Obama putting up her stupid bring back our girls sign.

nothing but empty sloganeering. France recently was attacked by Muslims when the peace lovers hated a comic.

Doesnt seem like they did much about it.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The reality is that France is a long time ally of the US and while relations are strained at times, we simply understand them and their culture more than Turkey. The same goes for the UK and even Germany (despite a rather tense few decades....)

It's nothing personal.

Feb 16, 2005
The reality is that France is a long time ally of the US and while relations are strained at times, we simply understand them and their culture more than Turkey. The same goes for the UK and even Germany (despite a rather tense few decades....)

It's nothing personal.
yup, this about covers it. France and the US have been allies since before there was a USA. It's been strained at times, but we've been there for each other for several hundred years now. That's actually pretty impressive.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

These forums have no responsibility to make sure there sure no double standards.....if they do point out where it says so...

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
many in this board have said that they do not feel connected with people who were victims of ISIS, in Turkey, in Lebanon. But the victims in those countries were living western style lifes, defending their rights and democracy. By ignoring them you give the following message :

"No matter what you do, we will never care about you, you are different. In your struggle to be like us, you are pathetic. You better die, we love the French better"

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
What's going on "in the world" plays MUCH less a role (for the general public and news) in the US as compared to elsewhere. This is simply how it is due to various reasons and not because of "evil intentions".

Turkey is already a little "off" to what I'd call "Western", I am aware that many in Turkey live Western style lives etc. and I am probably totally wrong there, but it's just geographically and politically further away to "Western", than say France or Germany. There is really not a Turkish community in the US that I know of compared to immigrants or folks with a heritage from the rest of Europe.

So yes, OF COURSE there are bigger ties, culturally and socially to countries like the UK, France, Germany etc. (Heck there are even US troops stationed still in Germany :) )

And in regards to Lebanon...I tell you that LOTS of folks in the US or on facebook wouldn't even find it on a map.

While I think this is unfortunate it does NOT mean we care less for the people in Turkey or Lebanon...so I think the spin you want to give this is not entirely fair.

The fact that we read about violence in the M.E. almost every day of course also plays a major role.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
many in this board have said that they do not feel connected with people who were victims of ISIS, in Turkey, in Lebanon. But the victims in those countries were living western style lifes, defending their rights and democracy. By ignoring them you give the following message :

"No matter what you do, we will never care about you, you are different. In your struggle to be like us, you are pathetic. You better die, we love the French better"

Does it matter? It's just that the US has much more cultural ties to Europe, with 100+ million people emigrated from their over 200 years.

The coverage of Turkey vs France is entirely understandable. People want news coverage about place and people they know/have connection to. Nothing to get butt hurt over.

Nov 25, 2013

4 weeks ago in Ankara, 3 months ago in Suruc, Turkey .. again by ISIS

I am sure you did not hear about them and Facebook did not offer to color your profile with Lebanese and Turkish flags (Turks are the 3rd largest Facebook community in the world FYI)

Such responses of the classic and electronic media, intentional or not, create a doubt in the minds of millions around the globe whether a French life is more precious than a Lebanese or Turkish life.

Think and comment about it

http://usuncut.com/world/beirut-this...get-any-media/

link appears to be broken. leads to a 404.

Nov 25, 2013
The day before the Paris attack 43 people were killed and 230 people were injured in an attack that took place in Beirut.

How many of you were even aware of it.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Turkey? They could start by killing off ISIS.