The CoronaVirus WTF are you doing with yourself while being isolated thread

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have been watching the Discovery Channel's show Mighty Trains.

:)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I ordered a 3900x with a new mobo and some ram. Hoping its here by Monday which it should be at least according to the tracking. Gonna be insane going from 8 threads to 24 threads. Biggest upgrade i prob ever did since i went from a pentium 4 to a C2D. Maybe even bigger, i never tripled my threads in a single upgrade in my life.

Got a name for the build, its called "Cronus" :) When Ampere drops, the build will be complete and good hopefully till 2022. Got no issues rebuilding Cronus at that point. Prob won't need to, if anything get some cheap discounted 4000 series chip when the 5000 drops and hang onto that till the 6000 series? The geek in me prob gonna upgrade EVERYTHING in 2022. :D

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Built two new computers for wife and myself. Finishing, sorta, the bathroom upgrade. Doing a bit of cleaning and making surprising finds doing so.......things I'd forgotten I had and where it was.

For instance, when's the last time anyone saw the Windows 7 Flying Turtle promo jigsaw puzzle? And I mean an actual, physical cardboard pieced, jigsaw puzzle, not software? Found mine in the shed yesterday whilst looking for an anti-static bag.

Found a box of road bike parts, some brand new, some barely used. Totally forgot had all that.

Reactions: Zanovar

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
My video game pitching career is around 10 years old. I began in 2010 so it's almost caught up to real life. I was probably around 20 years old when I started so I guess I must be pushing 30 by now.

I wonder if the game gives you cues on when its time to retire or if it just lets your skills decline after a certain age until it's too frustrating to keep going. I think my fastball has lost a little velocity; I used to be able to throw a 93-94 mph sinker and now it only seems to get up to 90-91.

I've only been a full time starter at the ML level one season. Mostly I've been a spot starter and reliever. My career record is around .500, like 31-31. After a decent stretch of starting for the Padres I got traded to the Royals who promptly buried me in the pen.

Man, even my video game life seems a little disappointing.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm bored so I'm taking pics of my various loudouts utilizing various bags for a Carryology Facebook group so Ima gonna post it here too cause why the hell not. Defy Insidious Sling Bag with a regular loudout for a bike ride:

IMG_20200503_204930.jpg

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The zone tailed hawk was not happy to see me. Still no chicks visible in the nest but the nest is deep so they might be in there.

zonetail_2020_05_05a.jpg

zonetail_2020_05_05b.jpg

zonetail_2020_05_05c.jpg

The prairie falcons simply do not care at all about me being there. Being top predator has its perks.
pfalcon_2020_05_05a.jpg

There are four chicks in the prairie falcon nest. :)
pfalcon_2020_05_05b.jpg

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
The zone tailed hawk was not happy to see me. Still no chicks visible in the nest but the nest is deep so they might be in there.

zonetail_2020_05_05a.jpg

zonetail_2020_05_05b.jpg

zonetail_2020_05_05c.jpg

The prairie falcons simply do not care at all about me being there. Being top predator has its perks.
pfalcon_2020_05_05a.jpg

There are four chicks in the prairie falcon nest. :)
pfalcon_2020_05_05b.jpg

You post some of the most beautiful things, thanks man! I love this kind of stuff.

Feb 4, 2009
I ordered a 3900x with a new mobo and some ram. Hoping its here by Monday which it should be at least according to the tracking. Gonna be insane going from 8 threads to 24 threads. Biggest upgrade i prob ever did since i went from a pentium 4 to a C2D. Maybe even bigger, i never tripled my threads in a single upgrade in my life.

Got a name for the build, its called "Cronus" :) When Ampere drops, the build will be complete and good hopefully till 2022. Got no issues rebuilding Cronus at that point. Prob won't need to, if anything get some cheap discounted 4000 series chip when the 5000 drops and hang onto that till the 6000 series? The geek in me prob gonna upgrade EVERYTHING in 2022. :D

I’m pretty happy with my 3800x, solid upgrade.
Only problem is pretty minor, for whatever reason windows starts slowish for Ryzen boards. When I say slow I mean like 40 seconds when I was expecting 20 seconds.

Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Only problem is pretty minor, for whatever reason windows starts slowish for Ryzen boards. When I say slow I mean like 40 seconds when I was expecting 20 seconds.

not even a issue, the pc would get a reboot maybe every other day worst case? Trying to keep it running 24/7 as its gonna be folding. I could reboot the computer, hit the can and grab a tea or some food and well its gonna be booted when i return! I waste no time taking advantage of a boot up window and just multi task.

Feb 4, 2009
not even a issue, the pc would get a reboot maybe every other day worst case? Trying to keep it running 24/7 as its gonna be folding. I could reboot the computer, hit the can and grab a tea or some food and well its gonna be booted when i return! I waste no time taking advantage of a boot up window and just multi task.

Yeah it is a petty issue, just weird how the start time is pretty comparable to my old core 2 quad with an ssd.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Possibly motherboard dependent? I'm running a Ryzen 3 2200G, and it's under twenty seconds from when the BIOS disappears to being usable. I was timing it, but this boot it popped up that stupid freaking "GET MORE OUT OF WINDOWS LOL" screen, and I didn't have the mouse turned on so I had to grab it, turn it on, and click "skip for now" (need to look for a "skip forever, I don't ever want this" option...) and it was still under 20 seconds.

That was surprisingly easy: https://winaero.com/blog/disable-get-even-more-out-of-windows-in-windows-10/

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
not my 2 systems. One is a 2200G HTPC system and the other is in my sig. Both are on the desktop usable within 15 seconds. Sounds like your BIOS maybe slowing you down.

Feb 4, 2009
not my 2 systems. One is a 2200G HTPC system and the other is in my sig. Both are on the desktop usable within 15 seconds. Sounds like your BIOS maybe slowing you down.

up to date bios, we don’t need to continue this subject I don’t want to derail.
However I do want to thank you for the suggestion.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
up to date bios, we don’t need to continue this subject I don’t want to derail.
However I do want to thank you for the suggestion.
no worries. This is OT after all.

Some BIOSes spend time detecting hardware or whatever and thus slow things down a bit.

Feb 4, 2009
no worries. This is OT after all.

Some BIOSes spend time detecting hardware or whatever and thus slow things down a bit.

Yeah, from memory Asrock, Asus and something else boards were more likely to have slow boots, x570 boards were more likely to have slow boot times but again I want to be clear, my Ryzen machine boots at a acceptable speed it’s just not what I would describe as fast.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, from memory Asrock, Asus and something else boards were more likely to have slow boots, x570 boards were more likely to have slow boot times but again I want to be clear, my Ryzen machine boots at a acceptable speed it’s just not what I would describe as fast.
I am loving my Asus Prime X570-P. There is a new BIOS for it but since mine is rock stable, I won't update it.

Feb 4, 2009
I am loving my Asus Prime X570-P. There is a new BIOS for it but since mine is rock stable, I won't update it.

Thanks just checked and I have a new bios available
I wish they gave simple easy to understand explanations of what the new bios does.
As in CCX improvements to allow better...

1. Improve the communication between BIOS CCX setting and SMU.
2. Add auto rule for specific memory module

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I wish they gave simple easy to understand explanations of what the new bios does.

I know. Asus isn't too bad for that. Back in the day you were lucky to even get a description of what it was fixing.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Mine is also an ASRock, with a B350 chipset, if that matters at all :)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Fixing a toilet today. Needed to borrow a small saws-all to get the old flush tube thingy out because the plastic was so degraded I couldn't remove the collar holding it in place. While getting parts (3 trips to the HW store - never did this b/4), our toilet in the on suite developed the same leak.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

My HTPC system uses an Asrock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac motherboard. I love this board.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Fixing a toilet today. Needed to borrow a small saws-all to get the old flush tube thingy out because the plastic was so degraded I couldn't remove the collar holding it in place. While getting parts (3 trips to the HW store - never did this b/4), our toilet in the on suite developed the same leak.
Years ago I was changing the trap under the kitchen sink, back when they were chrome plated brass, and on the second trip to the neighborhood hardware store the owner made a comment about "ahh - a 3 trip to the hardware store project I see". I said it may well turn out like that, but I won't give you the satisfaction, I'll go to a different hardware store.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Years ago I was changing the trap under the kitchen sink, back when they were chrome plated brass, and on the second trip to the neighborhood hardware store the owner made a comment about "ahh - a 3 trip to the hardware store project I see". I said it may well turn out like that, but I won't give you the satisfaction, I'll go to a different hardware store.
This is the story of my repair life. X 3 multiples of time. Can't get mad at the supplier. Well, I guess you can but it's counter productive. Usually the local guy knows his shit and could have saved you a trip if you asked. HD/Lowes...not so much.