The CCP hates any criticism towards them in Western media... and Hollywood agrees with them on that.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
When can we expect a forum rule change to accommodate the Chinese gov?
No personal attacks for the EU, no insulting the Chinese for the CCP.

It's becoming defacto standard among companies after that sweet, sweet Chinese money tit.

But you will be in the vast minority. Most Western players don't care enough to really punish Blizzard, and certainly not nearly enough to offset the amount of punishment an official ban in China would produce.

My quote was partially in jest, but really I mean capitalism can be a corrupting force to freedom, as opposed to the common polical assumption that freedom=capitalism.

Many were upset by the rules changes, but no one quit. Meanwhile it's a fanciful expectation to believe companies will forgo profits for freedom. They will chase the dollars every time.

Net result of communist China's rise (and America and the West's faltering) will be the dilution of freedom across our country, the internet, and across the world.

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Bullshit, virtue signaling social justice fads are easy business decisions for corporations to promote when it makes them billions while hiding behind the first amendment and other legal protections of the same government they do everything in their power to undermine economically, by using outsourced cheap labor to make their products while using every trick loophole in the tax law to avoid paying their fair share .

Nike’s Colin Kaepernick ad sparked a boycott — and earned $6 billion for Nike
Screen_Shot_2018_09_04_at_4.30.23_PM.0.png

but when the blow back from China finally comes at the end of a gun barrel, Americans can just tell themselves it was all “good business” enriching the one percent and decimating the middle class while China built itself up militarily and economically.

Reactions: Atreus21

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I don't get your point. They're not citing that reason right now either. In fact, that would defeat the purpose. That purpose being to navigate these issues, as they may arise, while strengthening their brand and maximizing revenue. It is not any more complicated than that. Corporations do not have political agendas outside the bottom line. They don't care if you're gay or a social conservative or even both. They just care that you're buying. And if you're not buying for some reason, then they will cater their interests to those who are.

My point was stated. Whatever their motive, they've no aversion to political or cultural battles. Their stating so is typical and shameful, exactly for the reasons you say. If telling the truth comes at the sacrifice of the bottom line, sacrifice the truth. If opposing a murderous dictatorship's speech restrictions comes with a cost in dollars, grovel like craven weaklings.

That a profit-driven enterprise mostly cares about its bottom line is obvious. That doesn't excuse a complete abdication of self-respect.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
View attachment 11755

This was from my apartment bedroom window when I was there, that was roughly 20 years ago

I was there almost thirty years ago. A friend and I were hanging out with some Irish girls. They got invited to a really nice party hosted by the HKPF and brought us along. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. It's a tragedy what goons the CCP has turned that organization into (beatings, torture, arresting families/children etc).

I know Britain had to give back Kowloon and the NT, but they should have kept the island.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
My point was stated. Whatever their motive, they've no aversion to political or cultural battles. Their stating so is typical and shameful, exactly for the reasons you say. If telling the truth comes at the sacrifice of the bottom line, sacrifice the truth. If opposing a murderous dictatorship's speech restrictions comes with a cost in dollars, grovel like craven weaklings.

That a profit-driven enterprise mostly cares about its bottom line is obvious. That doesn't excuse a complete abdication of self-respect.
There are times where I find the right wing social conservative attitude towards capitalism to be indistinguishable from that of left wing progressive social justice warriors. This is one of those times.
And as I tell those SJW's, you need to think of capitalism as the economic equivalent of democracy, but the elections are held 24/7 and dollar bills are the votes.
So if a corporation appears to get involved in a political or cultural battle, that is only because that is something their paying customers want them to do. As in, NBA season ticketholders in an urban liberal market support gay rights. Or young athletes who buy athletic shoes support BLM. Or Disney likes the girlboss theme because girls (and their parents) buy their merch.
It is not anymore complicated than that. If a corporation appears "woke" that is only because it wants those people as their customers. Same reason for "celebrating diversity" but with the added caveat that corporation wants to be able to hire from the most diverse talent pool possible without any racial or cultural differences causing problems in the workplace.
And as for the ever popular boycott, those only work when your interest makes up a significant enough fraction of the boycotted company's paying customers. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything to boycott a corporation you weren't buying from anyway. Even worse is when you pretend to boycott, but secretly don't.
And I suspect that your "complete abdication of self-respect" comment is really just anger that a corporation goes with the interests of their paying customers rather than yours. As I also tell SJW's, people can have a competing interests to your agenda without necessarily being evil.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
There are times where I find the right wing social conservative attitude towards capitalism to be indistinguishable from that of left wing progressive social justice warriors. This is one of those times.
And as I tell those SJW's, you need to think of capitalism as the economic equivalent of democracy, but the elections are held 24/7 and dollar bills are the votes.
So if a corporation appears to get involved in a political or cultural battle, that is only because that is something their paying customers want them to do. As in, NBA season ticketholders in an urban liberal market support gay rights. Or young athletes who buy athletic shoes support BLM. Or Disney likes the girlboss theme because girls (and their parents) buy their merch.
It is not anymore complicated than that. If a corporation appears "woke" that is only because it wants those people as their customers. Same reason for "celebrating diversity" but with the added caveat that corporation wants to be able to hire from the most diverse talent pool possible without any racial or cultural differences causing problems in the workplace.
And as for the ever popular boycott, those only work when your interest makes up a significant enough fraction of the boycotted company's paying customers. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything to boycott a corporation you weren't buying from anyway. Even worse is when you pretend to boycott, but secretly don't.
And I suspect that your "complete abdication of self-respect" comment is really just anger that a corporation goes with the interests of their paying customers rather than yours. As I also tell SJW's, people can have a competing interests to your agenda without necessarily being evil.

When the NBA said they don't get involved in political battles, they were lying. They do. That's all.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Good. Fuck ANY company that wants to censor criticism of a totalitarian regime.

I hope they get so much blowback that they shit their pants with the amount of dollar loses.

I don't disagree. but why pick and choose the SJW campaign that you want to win, dismiss others, when clearly Blizzard's decision here was about preserving holy capitalism and nothing else?

I'm at a loss as to how and why some of you choose to support human rights in some cases, but just laugh at it in others....

Nov 8, 2012
Nov 8, 2012
Pretty much anyone who ever heard her speak would know she's smart and articulate.

Bud, If you're too inept to understand the implications of raising taxes, then you're just simply too stupid for the job.

The concept of raising a tax rate and simply equating the tax will be paid is seriously hilarious. That can only come from someone that is too dumb dumb to understand what people who are rich do with their money - which isn't surprising - were talking about an incompetent moron who hasn't paid a US Federal Income Tax dollar in her life until now. She is so incompetently inept that she simply thinks if you raise the tax amount that you will equally have the same amount of people paying - just at the new higherrate. This has been academically disproven multiple times.

Anyone with a high school diploma can tell you that won't be the case. Anyone that has ever read a god damn single independent study of taxation can tell you that will not be in the case.

If that is what you consider "smart and articulate" than you may want to start re-evaluating things in life.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Bud, If you're too inept to understand the implications of raising taxes, then you're just simply too stupid for the job.

The concept of raising a tax rate and simply equating the tax will be paid is seriously hilarious. That can only come from someone that is too dumb dumb to understand what people who are rich do with their money - which isn't surprising - were talking about an incompetent moron who hasn't paid a US Federal Income Tax dollar in her life until now. She is so incompetently inept that she simply thinks if you raise the tax amount that you will equally have the same amount of people paying - just at the new higherrate. This has been academically disproven multiple times.

Anyone with a high school diploma can tell you that won't be the case. Anyone that has ever read a god damn single independent study of taxation can tell you that will not be in the case.

If that is what you consider "smart and articulate" than you may want to start re-evaluating things in life.

if only passing a law allowed you to accomplish multiple things simultaneously, like increasing taxes *and* reducing the ability for high earners to claim deductions on their taxes. What a novel concept that would be.

And lets not forget those great days with a burgeoning middle class and no tax on the super wealthy....

Nov 8, 2012
if only passing a law allowed you to accomplish multiple things simultaneously, like increasing taxes *and* reducing the ability for high earners to claim deductions on their taxes. What a novel concept that would be.

And lets not forget those great days with a burgeoning middle class and no tax on the super wealthy....
Because maybe .. just maybe... It isn't possible to earn income in the multiple other countries and jurisdictions for the exact same function. Crazy I know right?

Christ, some folks here need to just Google the term Transfer Pricing.... And that is just a starting point, not the ultimate answer.

Even Europe has understood this: the rich will circumvent your taxes. Fact. Your best bet is to tax the lower, middle, and upper classes because they do not have the money or legal expertise to avoid the taxation - hence why these countries have fully endorsed regressive VAT taxes and income taxes that the bottom 50% actually pays unlike our own shit system.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Europe also, eventually, figured out that you have to behead the rich every few generations; it keeps them honest.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Because maybe .. just maybe... It isn't possible to earn income in the multiple other countries and jurisdictions for the exact same function. Crazy I know right?

Then let them go. The myth has always been that we need the aristocracy. The truth is the other way around. Every time a people rise up and get rid of their aristocracy the society improved.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
That doesn't cost them anything to do so. Well, it does in that some in the US won't watch the NBA and Disney stuff (which is the subject of this thread, btw) but they can more than make up the deficit by bending over for neo Mao.

Absolutely not true. Hollywood has done a number on Public Enemy #1, the traitor in chief and abuser of migrant children Donald J Trump. I’m assuming that’s who you’re referring to? Pretty sure they aren’t the “craven sycophantic boot-lickers.”

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Apple keeps bending over to Xi and showing their true color. Wonder if Jobs is still around it would be any different

Nov 8, 2012
I don't disagree. but why pick and choose the SJW campaign that you want to win, dismiss others, when clearly Blizzard's decision here was about preserving holy capitalism and nothing else?

I'm at a loss as to how and why some of you choose to support human rights in some cases, but just laugh at it in others....

Can you give me a reference that relates to this? Sorry, just not thinking of a good comparable example.

You talking about the bathroom bill?