The CCP hates any criticism towards them in Western media... and Hollywood agrees with them on that.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Contrary to popular believe - Steve Jobs was actually a giant piece of shit. He would blow China in an instant.
I was thinking the same thing. Steve Jobs was not really well known for being overly moral or ethical. He would do whatever was best for Apple's bottom line, and switch positions in an instant if that helped his stock prices.

Reactions: pmv and DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
I was thinking the same thing. Steve Jobs was not really well known for being overly moral or ethical. He would do whatever was best for Apple's bottom line, and switch positions in an instant if that helped his stock prices.

Yeah it REALLY fucking bothers me when people make him out to be some god of technology and acting as if he was a good executive that treated people well.... Couldn't be further from the truth.

Theres a sales guy that I work with - and he puts some stupid Steve Jobs quote in his powerpoint decks that he presents to potential customers. Makes me facepalm.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Nor is Trump like the little fat man in NK.

Really? I know some actors have spoken out about Trump and SNL makes money by doing somewhat funny skits about Trump and his gang. I guess that could be considered as having "done a number" on Trump who, btw, comes nowhere close to the horrors that Xi is pulling off with, for example, the Uighurs.

Trump is a shit doing shitty things, mostly directed at destroying liberal democracy and the rule of law in the US, but he's no Xi.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think of Steve Jobs as a General Patton for software/hardware ... you wouldnt want to serve under him but at the same time you are really glad he is(was) there.
Jobs taught the industry a few things that we are readily forgetting already, which is weird cause he showed that it paid off : The user experience is everything. Usability gotta be an A+ or bust. Ffs windows is still a mess.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think of Steve Jobs as a General Patton for software/hardware ... you wouldnt want to serve under him but at the same time you are really glad he is(was) there.
Jobs taught the industry a few things that we are readily forgetting already, which is weird cause he showed that it paid off : The user experience is everything. Usability gotta be an A+ or bust. Ffs windows is still a mess.
Personally, I detest the MacOS. I think it is the least intuitive OS out there. IOS is okay, after a short, steep learning curve. I guess our brains work differently. The original iPod was a wonder of usability but then Apple ditched the physical buttons and ruined it.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Well, it's no surprise that Xi Jinping hates comparisons of him to Winnie the Pooh. It's also no surprise the CCP will ban any piece of media that's even slightly critical of them. But hoo boy, it's another thing when you have companies like Disney and even the NBA scared shitless of offending the Chinese, because the CCP is now dictating what Western media is allowed in China after requiring some modifications (aka censorship). Except the Chinese market has grown to be even bigger than the American market, so now our Hollywood overlords will bend over to the CCP, because they don't want to lose those sweet profits they can get by selling their crap to the Chinese.

Hong Kong Protests Put Outspoken N.B.A. on Edge in China

A GM for the Houston Rockets was sacked for putting out a tweet that says "Fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong!" Needless to say, the NBA's sponsors in China did not like that and so they basically told the Rockets' executive to get rid of Daryl Morey.

Recently, South Park released an episode based around the nonsense going on with Hollywood bending over and censoring anything the CCP doesn't like in order to sell their crap in China. And would you know it? That one episode of South Park was immediately scrubbed off the Chinese internet not long after it was aired.

'South Park' Scrubbed From Chinese Internet After Critical Episode

On the plus side, we do get a nice non-apology from Trey Parker and Matt Stone:

Morey wasn't sacked but Adam Silver just said yesterday:
Adam Silver: China requested Rockets GM Daryl Morey be fired over pro-Hong Kong tweet
But Silversaid that's not happening.

"
During an interview with Good Morning America’s Robin Roberts at the Time 100 Health Summit on Thursday, Silver
confirmed that the country’s government and businesses asked that Morey be fired for the since-deleted tweet.

Silver said the league shut down any possibility of that, or any other discipline, happening:
“We made clear that we were being asked to fire him, by the Chinese government, by the parties we dealt with,
government and business,” Silver said. “We said there’s no chance that’s happening. There’s no chance we’ll even discipline him.”

I know money talks but if we get to the point where we are kowtowing to China's monetary threats, then we are
well and truly fucked as a country.
Fuck off China, NBA doesn't need you to survive. Go ahead and stop the NBA broadcasts in China.
You want us more than we need you.
"

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I know money talks but if we get to the point where we are kowtowing to China's monetary threats, then we are
well and truly fucked as a country.
Fuck off China, NBA doesn't need you to survive. Go ahead and stop the NBA broadcasts in China.
You want us more than we need you.
I don't expect corporates to have much integrity when it comes to profits. But even from a business standpoint, the US and the Western world is still NBA's primary market. It's nice to open a big new market, but if it means you have to alienate your primary market at the same time then you have to be very cautious.

This is a lose lose situation. The NBA lose money, while the fans in China are rid of what they love as entertainment. And for Chinese government, I'm sure Xi would prefer his ppl to watch sports and play basketball rather than playing video/mobile games, to be occupied with money and entertainment rather than start thinking about social issues. Though with Xi as their iron hand leader, you'll never know what he will not do.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yeah it REALLY fucking bothers me when people make him out to be some god of technology and acting as if he was a good executive that treated people well.... Couldn't be further from the truth.

Theres a sales guy that I work with - and he puts some stupid Steve Jobs quote in his powerpoint decks that he presents to potential customers. Makes me facepalm.

On this I completely agree.

But the 'cult of Apple' seems to be it's own 'thing', one not directly related to politics. I guess it's similar to being a fan of a sports team.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
From nearly 20 years ago...

ata.sized.jpg

Not only has the USA not learned, it's sucking up to the Chinese and their monetary influence even more than ever.

Reactions: kage69

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Absolutely not true. Hollywood has done a number on Public Enemy #1, the traitor in chief and abuser of migrant children Donald J Trump. I’m assuming that’s who you’re referring to? Pretty sure they aren’t the “craven sycophantic boot-lickers.”
OK, please fill me in. What specifically has Hollywood done to defrock DJT? I wanna know.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Found myself reading this thread when my attention span ran out part-way through watching White House Down on a certain streaming service. Starts with the President recalling US troops from the Middle-East. Armed attackers then take over the White House. Surprisingly they didn't turn out to be liberals, furious at the betrayal of the Kurds!

I think one could say that movie is vaguely anti-Trumpian (but I guess it pre-dated Trump himself, and actually, it accidentally highlights the complexities of the 'withdrawing US troops' trope ). Funny that James Woods plays a bad-guy with political views that appear to be not a million-miles from those of, er, James Woods.

Can't deny that movie had a "liberal bias" (albeit undercut by the sheer implausible ridiculousness of it all), right down to its positive portrayal of an ersatz Obama character. Seems a bit surprising in a way, in that surely the audience for that kind of gun-heavy action movie is likely to lean politically the other way? In fact it's like a fundamentally conservative message of 'all problems can be solved by shooting a sufficient number of people' overlaid with a nominally conservative-bashing storyline. Hollywood is nothing if not confused.

Definitely the most ludicrous movie I've seen since, er, that other 'terrorists take over the Whitehouse' one (the two are bizarrely similar). In fact I think this one just edged it. Up there with that Air Force One one with Harrison Ford as an ersatz Clinton. They all seem to imply that the Secret Service needs to vet its employees better though.

Also all those movies seem much funnier if you try to imagine Trump in the President role.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not only has the USA not learned, it's sucking up to the Chinese and their monetary influence even more than ever.

ata.sized.jpg
Money, big money, creates wind tunnels that suck in all but the best, most dedicated. OK, that was just off the top of my head, but there's something to it. Resistance, persistent resistance to the lure, the corruption due to the influence of money, particularly dark money is the sign of integrity... yeah, pithy ideas, but they recur again and again in my head.

I confess, having just now read that cartoon quoted (AFTER writing the above) that I buy a lot of Chinese made (at least manufactured) goods. I know a couple who refuse to buy any. I don't remember what she said when I asked her about this a few years ago. I should see her this week, hope to ask her.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

ata.sized.jpg

Been liking that cartoon since I first saw it in 2001, and I still think of it when shopping. I haven't been able to rule out Chinese produced goods completely, that might be impossible, but it makes me feel better to deny money to the chinazi war effort. I'm sorry they got taken advantage of during colonialism, but that doesn't excuse current day ethnic cleansing, forced abortions/sterilizations, state sanctioned illegal organ trade, or any of their bellicose behavior in international waters.

I have little interest in the NBA, but I hope it tells China to take their censorship tantrums and piss up a tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerrelGeek