The Bible says two things (I dont want this to turn into a bash thread)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Unlike some (most?) I actually enjoy a good debate on relgion. I know it usually goes nowhere, but I think it's because people don't open up to the possibility that they might learn a thing or two.

Rather than share my own 2 cents (there are plenty of opinions here already), I would like to pass along a link that I found a few nights ago. Just check it out... it's perhaps the most unbiased discussion of religion I have ever seen (and that is certainly refreshing). ;)

So many think that "they" have the right answer... kind of arrogant to think that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

http://www.religioustolerance.org

l2c

Recneps

Jul 2, 2000
The church is the bigist scame in the world. God was made up by people to control and ripe off the poor and foolish.

It is very simple and there is nothing complex about any religous book. Comparing the bilbe to any book writen by any great aruther is total BS. The bible compares more closely to publisher clearing house ads about wining 10 million dollars.

Heaven and hell were made up as a reason to follow some one spewing BS. It really is a great scame because the people you fooled can't do anything after they find out they got fooled they are dead. And who wouldn't want to belive the poor sure as hell would con says something like, "oh just follow me and do as I say and I will make your next life great" poor person says, "what if I don't" Con repleys with "you think your life sucks now well just weight once you dieit will be 10 times worse you will root in a fire pit for ever but just follow my few rules and your next life is great" The powerful elite embrace the cons because they can deliver the peasnets and force they to pay there taxes.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000

<< God was made up by people to control and ripe off the poor and foolish. >>

Now, I'm not a religious man, but I certainly don't agree with that statement. There are people that need to believe in something like this. And there are people that have died and sacrificed for it. I don't think God was made up to rip people off. If God was made up, then He was made up for good reasons. To give people hope, reason to live, and a reason to live a good life. People have taken advantage of that belief, that is true, but I can't call a person foolish for clinging to the one thing that gives them hope.

<< It is very simple and there is nothing complex about any religous book. Comparing the bilbe to any book writen by any great aruther is total BS. The bible compares more closely to publisher clearing house ads about wining 10 million dollars. >>

Historically, the King James Bible is considered to be a great literary work.

<< It really is a great scame because the people you fooled can't do anything after they find out they got fooled they are dead. >>

Assuming there is no heaven or hell, only oblivion, then you won't even know you were fooled. You will have lived a good life and believed in good things to the detriment of no one.

<< The powerful elite embrace the cons because they can deliver the peasnets and force they to pay there taxes. >>

We just won't go there...

I think that you posted that stuff hoping to get a fiery response from pro-religion type folks. Hopefully they'll be able to restrain themselves and hopefully I won't get flamed by anyone. :)

Recneps

Jul 2, 2000
&quot;If God was made up, then He was made up for good reasons. To give people hope, reason to live, and a reason to live a good life.&quot;

God was most defently made up and no one can prove that there is a god (I'm not saying there isn't one there is just no proof and there for god was made up).

&quot;To give people hope, reason to live, and a reason to live a good life.&quot;

Well because god was made up then there is no hope there is no reason to live and there is no reason to live a good life so then anyone that belived in the above would have been fooled.

&quot;Historically, the King James Bible is considered to be a great literary work.&quot;

LoL any person that was in charge of england could have pissed on a piece of paper and it wuld be called a great literary work.

&quot;Assuming there is no heaven or hell, only oblivion, then you won't even know you were fooled. You will have lived a good life and believed in good things to the detriment of no one.&quot;

Or at least what you where brided into thinking was a &quot;good&quot; life only to be betraded

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000

<< God was most defently made up and no one can prove that there is a god (I'm not saying there isn't one there is just no proof and there for god was made up). >>

This is something universally agreed upon: the only way to prove something doesn't exist is to look everywhere and see that it isn't there. God can neither be proved or disproved. I think that that is accepted by both sides.

<< Well because god was made up then there is no hope there is no reason to live and there is no reason to live a good life so then anyone that belived in the above would have been fooled. >>

A person can only be fooled when it's proven to them that they have been fooled. I bought a 4meg SIMM from a FS/FT trader for $250. I think it is a good deal. I continue to think it's a good deal till I die. Was I fooled? I don't think so, regardless of what the trader thought. I live a good life, accept God as my saviour, and die thinking I'm going to heaven. Heaven isn't there, just oblivion. No awareness, just nothing. Was I fooled? I don't think so. My dying thoughts were of heaven.

<< LoL any person that was in charge of england could have pissed on a piece of paper and it wuld be called a great literary work. >>

King James didn't write the Bible...

<< Or at least what you where brided into thinking was a &quot;good&quot; life only to be betraded. >>

I would make a counterpoint except that I have no idea what you tried to say. ;)

edit: I am an agnostic. I don't know if there is a god or not. I hope there is, but I don't know. My only reason for defending the faith is that I prefer moderation and tolerance over accusation and belittlement. While I don't know whether God exists or not, I try to not disparage those who do believe.