The AT World of Warcraft Thread (Where do you play) and general BS

Page 261 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimley

Jan 28, 2008
I managed to get one on my 30th run :eek:

A buddy who started at the same time as me with his farming is on his 120th I believe.

RNG ftl.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: crystal
Quote from: Ghostcrawler (Source)We recently changed the way defensive stance works for pets. In the old design, the pet would not attack a target that you were attacking until it did something to generate threat - typically attacking you. In the new design, as soon as you attack a target, the pet will attack the target too. Our thinking was that this made defensive a little easier to use and you still have passive to override that behavior.

I like this change. That is one less click to send in my pet.

Mark - start shooting, then pet also attacks.

Old way, mark, send pet, then start shooting. boo....

I kinda like the new way also. Usually at the beginning of a pull I'll manually send my pet in, but after that he'll attack whatever I'm attacking, which makes things easier and imo, makes sense. (I mean, why wouldn't your pet attack your target?)

And I really want to get my pet (cat) to lvl 72 so I can take a point in the talent that regens health+happiness. I had it while leveling up and not having to carry food is awesome. I guess I could get that glyph also.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: rivan
What's target +spell for dps in ZA?

I was part of a group that more or less stalled on the second boss (bird avatar). Tanking seemed ok, healing too, but there were a couple people saying the DPS was just not enough to be there. I was at about 650 buffed spell damage at that point (I'm at almost 800 now... had a great weekend!) and was near the top of the damage meters. I assume that's low for ZA, but having never been I'm not sure.

Also, is there a standard way to calculate dps? Recount tells me I'm around 600 dps, which sounds low?

That is rather low. I was there on my mage this past weekend, http://www.wowarmory.com/chara...xml?r=Alleria&n=Cureli , I did about 1000-1100 DPS and still only managed to get third on the damage meter. The one boomkin was doing about 1500-1700 DPS (nerf boomkin IMO :Q)... although said boomkin was geared with some BT stuff (I saw Zhar'doom (aka Zergling on a Stick)). But yeah, 600 is barely good enough for Karazhan let alone ZA, which is meant to be done in-between Gruul/Mag and TK/SSC.

Oh and I've found that most groups do Nalorakk (Bear) second and Eagle (Akil'zon) first :eek:. Akil is pretty much a joke as long as you move in for the storms. I was a little thrown off on Dragonhawk mostly because when I did it on my Warrior earlier, we did it a different way than we were on my mage :p. My warrior did well on DPS... around 1100 or so and he still has some greens :Q!

Originally posted by: Chimley
I managed to get one on my 30th run :eek:

A buddy who started at the same time as me with his farming is on his 120th I believe.

RNG ftl.

One guy in my guild was telling me how he got the Headless Horseman mount and then headed into Strat for kicks and got the Baron mount on the first try >_>.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Oh thats cool.. Crystal didnt see that change.

will be great for Unholy DKs as well.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
dartworth made a good idea...we should all get our charas on one realm and play together in an AT guild....granted, most of us have IRL friends that play on others, and we'd rack up some pretty big transfer bills, but hey...it seems like a good idea.

pravi333

May 25, 2005
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
dartworth made a good idea...we should all get our charas on one realm and play together in an AT guild....granted, most of us have IRL friends that play on others, and we'd rack up some pretty big transfer bills, but hey...it seems like a good idea.

^^^ cool, i am up for it!

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I realize we are all in guilds and are attached to our realms for whatever reason...

I was thinking if we moved a 70 to the same realm or rolled a new toon on the same realm it would be fun to lvl/raid once or twice a week ...just a thought:)

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: dartworth
I realize we are all in guilds and are attached to our realms for whatever reason...

I was thinking if we moved a 70 to the same realm or rolled a new toon on the same realm it would be fun to lvl/raid once or twice a week ...just a thought:)

I agree, but I would say we should commit all the way...that would be much more enjoyable....

I am not sure what realm we would choose though.

How many of us prefer PVP, how many of us prefer PVE, or do both?!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jhbball
Anyone farming Baron's mount? I'm up to 130 runs. SIGH.

Since they changed the drop rate I've seen a couple of them riding around.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
A question for the DK players on here (people in beta i mean), do DK's have a good tanking spec like the other plate classes? I want to make one but I'd like him to be a tank, how do they stack up against other tanks?

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I second Ner'Zhul horde side, as I am also there, and it is a pretty good server (PvP server if the distinction matters to you).

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Jax Omen
I second Ner'Zhul horde side, as I am also there, and it is a pretty good server (PvP server if the distinction matters to you).

ooooooo, horde huh? I have all my guys alliance.

[yoda] and this is why you fail [/yoda]

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Jax Omen

ooooooo, horde huh? I have all my guys alliance.

[yoda] and this is why you fail [/yoda]

I have a 70 lock on Mal'Ganis horde, but I have 3 other 70s on alliance...

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Aikouka
What's target +spell for dps in ZA?

I was part of a group that more or less stalled on the second boss (bird avatar). Tanking seemed ok, healing too, but there were a couple people saying the DPS was just not enough to be there. I was at about 650 buffed spell damage at that point (I'm at almost 800 now... had a great weekend!) and was near the top of the damage meters. I assume that's low for ZA, but having never been I'm not sure.

Also, is there a standard way to calculate dps? Recount tells me I'm around 600 dps, which sounds low?

That is rather low. I was there on my mage this past weekend, http://www.wowarmory.com/chara...xml?r=Alleria&n=Cureli , I did about 1000-1100 DPS and still only managed to get third on the damage meter. The one boomkin was doing about 1500-1700 DPS (nerf boomkin IMO :Q)... although said boomkin was geared with some BT stuff (I saw Zhar'doom (aka Zergling on a Stick)). But yeah, 600 is barely good enough for Karazhan let alone ZA, which is meant to be done in-between Gruul/Mag and TK/SSC.

Oh and I've found that most groups do Nalorakk (Bear) second and Eagle (Akil'zon) first :eek:. Akil is pretty much a joke as long as you move in for the storms. I was a little thrown off on Dragonhawk mostly because when I did it on my Warrior earlier, we did it a different way than we were on my mage :p. My warrior did well on DPS... around 1100 or so and he still has some greens :Q!

Yeah, that's why I asked about how it's calculated.

You're geared a fair amount better than I am, but I can't imagine what I see making 400+ dps difference. Then again, I've got almost all new gear I need to get chanted up and gemmed... though I probably won't bother with Wrath right around the corner.

As for 600 dps being barely good enough for Kara, that's another reason I've got to doubt the number I'm seeing - I ran Kara last night, was first on the meter (2% higher than second and 5+% higher than third) and we were having NO problems at all.

I've got 3 points in improved VW left over from levelling I should probably move out... maybe all of the demonology points. I rarely use SB anymore - haunt's just too good; I've got my life tap/haunt recast timed now so that I get lifetap off between the haunt bolt going out to the target and the healing one come back - free mana.

On gear, more or less I've been taking anything I can get my hands on that's a clear upgrade (only been 70 a month or so). I see your haste is 0 and your hit is much higher than mine. How critical is hit (as opposed to +spell) when I'm looking to replace the scourge stuff (which is where all the haste is from)? I'm not missing/being resisted at all currently - even when I was in ZA.

As I'm posting this, I'm googling haste to better understand it. Headed to EJ now :p

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: VashHT
A question for the DK players on here (people in beta i mean), do DK's have a good tanking spec like the other plate classes? I want to make one but I'd like him to be a tank, how do they stack up against other tanks?

There isn't necessarily one spec for a DK tank, but there are talents that are considered the "essential DK tanking talents" which exist in tier 1 of every tree.

To go more on these... here are some sample DK builds you may see for tanking...
Unholy Tanking
Frost Tanking

*Note: These aren't 100% the best builds as I don't tank on a DK. There are possibly a few points that I'd move around*

You're geared a fair amount better than I am, but I can't imagine what I see making 400+ dps difference. Then again, I've got almost all new gear I need to get chanted up and gemmed... though I probably won't bother with Wrath right around the corner.

My mage is mostly geared from the karazhan level, but hell... so many things can buff your DPS between runs. Not having a Shaman can be a huge change between two different characters. A shaman provides 4% spell haste and ~100 spell damage! I also typically use weapon salves and the cheap-o spell power + spell crit pot. I'm usually around 32% crit and 1250 spell power (self-buffed) while raiding.

You could also have a different build than me... I'm Fire/Icy Veins and I ignored some of the AoE talents. Also, I really hate the new Blast Wave. It's a great AoE, but obviously tanks don't like it if you use it on a pack that casts.

As for 600 dps being barely good enough for Kara, that's another reason I've got to doubt the number I'm seeing - I ran Kara last night, was first on the meter (2% higher than second and 5+% higher than third) and we were having NO problems at all.

Well, to be honest, 600 is fine for progression style raiding. But trying to do quick runs, 600 doesn't cut the bill, which could be what you saw in ZA... you won't make a chest run if you're only doing 600 DPS. Although, 600 is fine for entry, if you're telling me your other DPS was below 600... well, they need to stop running Kara in leveling greens :Q!

I've got 3 points in improved VW left over from levelling I should probably move out... maybe all of the demonology points. I rarely use SB anymore - haunt's just too good; I've got my life tap/haunt recast timed now so that I get lifetap off between the haunt bolt going out to the target and the healing one come back - free mana.

Oh wait, you're not a mage... for some reason I thought you were a mage. Ohhh well, see now... Affliction blows for trash mobs. It's just that simple. With some good DPS, the mobs will die so fast that your DoTs barely do any damage.

On gear, more or less I've been taking anything I can get my hands on that's a clear upgrade (only been 70 a month or so). I see your haste is 0 and your hit is much higher than mine. How critical is hit (as opposed to +spell) when I'm looking to replace the scourge stuff (which is where all the haste is from)? I'm not missing/being resisted at all currently - even when I was in ZA.

Hit matters the most on bosses (or anything 3 levels over you). Before that, you can probably get away with about half as much hit since the amount required makes a huge jump at +3 levels. If you cleared Recount before a boss and then checked your numbers after, you may see more misses as trash can tend to sway the numbers a bit. I believe I had one miss the entire night raiding (I'm not capped on misses... I'm .13 off :p).

Haste is fine, but as we talked about earlier in here, it's not a stat you should be going for until you've reached a sound level in your spell damage and spell hit. At my mage's level, I could start getting spell haste, but I'd have to watch those other stats.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003

Oh wait, you're not a mage... for some reason I thought you were a mage. Ohhh well, see now... Affliction blows for trash mobs. It's just that simple. With some good DPS, the mobs will die so fast that your DoTs barely do any damage.

Good point - even spamming Seed of Corruption, it's sometimes hard to get much in before everything's dead.

Think I'll see what recount has to say about just a boss fight - I've been just leaving it on the whole run.

Hit matters the most on bosses (or anything 3 levels over you). Before that, you can probably get away with about half as much hit since the amount required makes a huge jump at +3 levels. If you cleared Recount before a boss and then checked your numbers after, you may see more misses as trash can tend to sway the numbers a bit. I believe I had one miss the entire night raiding (I'm not capped on misses... I'm .13 off :p).

Haste is fine, but as we talked about earlier in here, it's not a stat you should be going for until you've reached a sound level in your spell damage and spell hit. At my mage's level, I could start getting spell haste, but I'd have to watch those other stats.
[/quote]
I meant to link to my profile. I haven't gone out of my way for haste but I've ended up with quite a bit from the welfare scourge epics.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Originally posted by: VashHT

There isn't necessarily one spec for a DK tank, but there are talents that are considered the "essential DK tanking talents" which exist in tier 1 of every tree.

To go more on these... here are some sample DK builds you may see for tanking...
Unholy Tanking
Frost Tanking

*Note: These aren't 100% the best builds as I don't tank on a DK. There are possibly a few points that I'd move around*

Are DK's really meant to tank while dual wielding or using a 2 hander? I read this somewhere else today and didn't really believe it. Is frost presence that good that it can make up for the lack of a shield?

eddiebravo

Nov 29, 2005
can anyone recommend a powerleveling service? i have a lvl 62 rogue that i havent played in about a year but now that WOTLK is coming out, i am getting the urge to start playing again...but i do not have the desire or patience to play catch up and grind myself to 70...id like to start out on an even playing field for once.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Yeah, do it yourself.

Don't pay some fucking ToS breaking possibly scam service to do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.