The anti-DRM thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Heads up, at the moment the GOG version of Mankind Divided requires Galaxy + online connection for the DLC to function. Galaxy wraps the Steam calls from the game to unlock the DLC. GOG is aware of the problem and are working on a fix so it definitely wasn't intentional.

Should be pretty easy as your friendly local cracking group (tm) have already repackaged the Steam fix to make it work with GOG's version.

But I can personally confirm the base game has no DRM. I've never installed Galaxy and I disabled my internet connection before first launch to test it.

Reactions: Ranulf

thetechfreak

Jun 11, 2012
So, it seems many Steam games don't show on their page if they use Denuvo. Case in point, F1 2019. I didn't know it had Denuvo when I purchased it as the store page didn't show.

Now many months later, friends posted out how it has Denuvo. I make it a point to not purchase game when such DRM exist. Really sad on Codemasters part to make it like this.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So many publishers are trying to kill off Steam. Hope they don't go after GoG next. Not that they really could, since most AAA publishers won't touch GoG.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Hope they don't go after GoG next.
GOG is more like a boutique vendor in comparison to the rest. It's a good sign that DRM'd content from multiple platforms and multiple publishers is there.

I was really surprised to see Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex Mankind divided, for example.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

And it's back! Denuvo "anti-cheat" DRM was added to Doom Eternal. Now you can't even play single player offline without installing kernel-level rootkit malware.

The game's getting review bombed on Steam, people are asking for mass refunds, and there's a question whether this is even legal in some parts of the world (e.g. EU). By retroactively patching in DRM, they've fundamentally changed the original contract of the purchase which the buyer never agreed to.

This is why the internet is hilarious when they say "oh, it just takes 30 seconds to signup a bethesda.net account, what's the big deal?" Well this is the result. Once paying customers acquiesce to such garbage, the publisher gets more and more brazen with draconian measures. I don't think it's a coincidence this first patch came well outside Steam's 14 day refund window.

And yet again the pirates don't have to deal with any of this and play the game for free. I hope every single person who purchased this game asks for a refund, if for no other reason than to jam up Steam’s customer support.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Funny, i didn't purchase the game in the first place because I had to sign up for Bethesda account. The 4th Doom didnt require any of that so why they decided to do this now is beyond me.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Account sign-ins are the new hotness for AAA titles, and even some "lesser" titles. I think Borderlands and Borderlands 2 had that patched in well after release.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Just came here because I discovered I can't (or rather, won't) be able to play Doom Eternal anymore. I refuse to install this.With all of the backlash that has come about, hopefully there will be a solution soon. They should be flogged until they go back on this, or offer refunds to people who purchased before this mess.

eternrev.JPG

I hope every single person who purchased this game asks for a refund, if for no other reason than to jam up Steam’s customer support.

I wrote a logical and clearly unhappy request for a refund. I did suggest that it should only apply to people who purchased the game without knowing this was coming. I'm glad fans are raising Hell over this.

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Denuvo should be removed within a week. Looks like consumers still have teeth as long as they forget about convenience for just a second.

No doubt review bombing and mass refunds had the desired effect.

What I'm truly shocked about is that it was all ID's fault. They admitted Bethesda had nothing to do with it. So in this specific case I have to retract my comments about publishers.

But the next time someone says "DRM has nothing to with the developer, it's all the publisher", we have this example as a counter.

Reactions: Thunder 57
Feb 4, 2009
aaaaannnnnd they’ve removed or removing the DRM anti cheat thing.
Bad news is for the time being there will be no anti cheat. Have a good time with multiplayer....

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Bad news is for the time being there will be no anti cheat. Have a good time with multiplayer....

Good for single-player though. Why can't they roll out a separate binary for people who want MP? And why did anticheat have to involve something so invasive?

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007

I've played the multiplayer exactly one time. It was kind of lame. Doom 2016 or Eternal have crap multiplayer. At least I actually played 2016's multiplayer a bit though. I mean, a Doom game without deathmatch?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Elder Scrolls already has an MMO.

No reason why ES6 can't be like The Division 2 or Fallout 76 though. ESO is a large-scale "true" MMORPG ala Everquest. Stuff like Fallout 76 is different. And if Zenimax wants the game to be "always online" then they'll get what they want.

Reactions: DeathReborn

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Prey and Metro Exodus are now DRM-free on GOG. Both games are still loaded with Denuvo on Steam.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Just came here because I discovered I can't (or rather, won't) be able to play Doom Eternal anymore. I refuse to install this.With all of the backlash that has come about, hopefully there will be a solution soon. They should be flogged until they go back on this, or offer refunds to people who purchased before this mess.

View attachment 21259

I wrote a logical and clearly unhappy request for a refund. I did suggest that it should only apply to people who purchased the game without knowing this was coming. I'm glad fans are raising Hell over this.

I requested a refund that was denied (as I expected). But the the amount of noise that was made we do get this small victory. There is still power if enough people raise their voices. BTW I am updating it now with no Denuvo :)

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Prey and Metro Exodus are now DRM-free on GOG. Both games are still loaded with Denuvo on Steam.

Well this sucks already got them on steam and Metro Exodus I purchase not long ago and have 30 hours of gameplay on it i doubt they refund me.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
So many publishers are trying to kill off Steam. Hope they don't go after GoG next. Not that they really could, since most AAA publishers won't touch GoG.
GOG is more like a boutique vendor in comparison to the rest. It's a good sign that DRM'd content from multiple platforms and multiple publishers is there.

I was really surprised to see Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex Mankind divided, for example.

It seems that GOG is picking up support from big publishers, obtaining several key older AAA games that publishers probably don't care too much about anymore, but GOG's user base would be interested in. I was very surprised to see things like Dragon Age Origins and Fallout New Vegas on GOG, given that EA and Bethesda are some of the most infamous greedy publishers right now. But they definitely fit in. And GOG is even getting some big newer games, like Metro Exodus and Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

I think it's definitely worth rebuying games on GOG when they go on sale. It can show publishers that there is a viable market for a DRM-free sales platform and persuade them to put more games on GOG. Because really... what even is the point of Steam, anymore? The whole reason publishers started using Denuvo was because services like Steam were easily circumvented.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Steam still has a good storefront. The prices aren't coming down though, and a lot of devs/publishers are getting sick of 30%. But I am 100% ready to move off Steam for GoG except for Valve exclusives (or whatever). GoG is perfect for me.