The 12th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race

The proposal for a name: The Cancer Terminators (Terminators) vs. The Cancer Eradicators (Eradicato

• Yes

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Try something else ....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Sorry, folks for being so late with the announcement. The reason is ill-health - I've been to the hospital three times during the past three weeks. Now I am on the path to recovery and will probably be restored to full health before Christmas.

The race starts December 1, 18:00 UTC and ends January 1, 12:00 UTC (the race between the two teams in TeAm AnandTech) and February 1, 00:00 UTC (for the race between Brony@Home and TeAm AnandTech.

Here are the rules:
1: Have fun.
2: Let others have fun.
3: Crunch as much as you can, as often as you can and as efficiently as you can.
4: Assimilating computers, adding members to the teams, switching teams and borghing is allowed.
5: (Sid's rule) Whistle while you work; DON'T whistle while you sip.
6: (Sid's rule) No pouting.

Comment: Sid is a member of the TeAm. He has, unfortunately, not been active for quite a few years ... but we keep his two rules anyway.

For members of TeAm AnandTech:
  • Please post in this thread if you intend to take part. - Comment: We have a special race thread for the competition.
  • If you need help installing or running the F@H app go to: http://folding.stanford.edu/start-folding/ or ask for help here. The TeAm AnandTech number is 198. [Edit by Smoke]
  • I'll put the sub-teams together one day before the race but the discussion about who will race against whom is open.
  • Please remember: joining and recruiting (as well as borghing, assimilating and upgrading hardware) is allowed and encouraged.
  • Once the race is started, I decide into which team the new members go.
  • Please follow your good sense and your employer's/friend's rules if you are considering to use computers which do not belong to you!
For members of Brony@Home Folding Team:
  • The only score which counts are the Folding@Home scores.
  • Rules 1 - 6 apply (see above).
  • Please remember: joining, recruiting as well as borghing, assimilating and upgrading hardware is allowed and encouraged.
  • Please follow your good sense and your employer's/friend's rules if you are considering to use computers which do not belong to you!
  • The Distributed Computing forum is a very polite forum. Please follow the forum rules. "Badmouthing", a mild degree of non-personal harassment is tolerated, personal attacks are not. Comment: the mod "Smoke" decides what is "mild" and what is out of bounds in this forum
  • I'll keep track of the racing teams' scores. However, since I am merely a human being and thus prone to make mistakes now and then (I do try to check and double check ...) other stats-masters and stats-wizards are encouraged to do their own stats. When errors are found, please post in this thread, and the errors will be corrected.

Please post your forum name and your Folding@Home name in this thread.
I will compose the intra-race teams just before the start of the race December 1.
For the intra-race please propose also two team-names.

The Stats for the inter-team race and the intra-team race will be posted in this thread.

Any questions? Please post!

Participants:
Edit Dec. 1, 2017:
GLeeM
Markfw
Ken_g6
Pokey
StefanR5R
iwajabitw
OrangeKid
indydude345
petrusbroder
crashtech
FoldingSolution
IEC
TennesseeTony
Brownstone
Smoke

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeTony

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Of course I am in...

For the race between us and Brony, I assume all members of the teams count, as in the stats by team on this page ? Only the inter-team race requires joining, right ?

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

And right now(even though the stats are almost 4 days old since the server is down) we are 21st place, and they are 23rd place...

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm in. :) Not sure how much power I'll bring though.

I've been to the hospital three times during the past three weeks.
Sorry to hear that, Peter. :( But it brings up an issue: should we have a backup person to handle stats and such if you're not able to be around? I recall @biodoc did that one year, but I haven't seen him lately either.

Reactions: petrusbroder

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I'm in. :) Not sure how much power I'll bring though.

Sorry to hear that, Peter. :( But it brings up an issue: should we have a backup person to handle stats and such if you're not able to be around? I recall @biodoc did that one year, but I haven't seen him lately either.
Yes, I was going to bring that up ... We need to see who will be in the race.

Reactions: Ken g6

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Of course I am in...

For the race between us and Brony, I assume all members of the teams count, as in the stats by team on this page ? Only the inter-team race requires joining, right ?

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

And right now(even though the stats are almost 4 days old since the server is down) we are 21st place, and they are 23rd place...

Yes, all members in each team count - as per stats @Folding@Home. Only for the intra-team race joining is required.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@petrusbroder, thank you. Best wishes for your recovery.

I'd like to be in. Folding name: xii5ku

My initial PPD may be unsteady, as I still plan to assemble a second GPU host. I may also try some high core count CPU folding temporarily, just to see what PPD/Watt the current WUs give.

As for suggestions for names of the sub-teams, I'm so bad at naming things that even my folding name was the product of a random string generator. :flushed:

Regarding being a stand-by for stats tracking: I'm not sure exactly how involved this will be. I did some progress graphs during one of the PrimeGrid challenges, but not on a strict schedule. Also, my work hours can be erratic at times, and I will be entirely offline during a few days by the end of the year.

Reactions: Rudy Toody

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, for whatever team I am on, I wish for the team name to be "The cancer killers".

Peter, I don't know how much you have read, but my biopsy came back malignant, and a very aggressive cancer he said, and now going for week 4 of chemo (BCP) on tuesday,.

I also wish you the best in your recovery.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have a proposal for two names:
To honor Marks wish:
  • The (cancer) terminators (TCT or Terminators)
    vs
  • The (cancer) eradicators (TCE or Eradicators)
I've posted a poll - as you probably have seen above

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have a proposal for two names:
To honor Marks wish:
  • The (cancer) terminators (TCT or Terminators)
    vs
  • The (cancer) eradicators (TCE or Eradicators)
I've posted a poll - as you probably have seen above
Thanks Peter ! It just seemed appropriate with my current situation. Anything the team chooses I am good with, it was just my suggestion.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, I thought it was a given that I am in! Can't see the poll on my phone, will vote later. Name is crashtech.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Dang stats are still down. Been down for 4 days now. If they don't come up soon, we won't know who is doing what in the race !

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
TennesseeTony is in the houz! Folding as 10esseetony . For the purposes of organizing the internal race, I estimate 5.5M ppd. Oh, and welcome back petrus! Had us worried! :)

Also: @biodoc You'd best un-retire, hop off the 2 wheeler, and get the dust blown off your DC equipment, ole friend!

Other shout outs: @theAnimal ; @mike999 (that you mike9o?) ; @HutchinsonJC ; @MrCommunistGen ; @ZipSpeed

For those wanting a quick and simple check of the points for the external race (with Brony at home), they have made an excellent web page to do just that, you may want to keep it open or bookmark it.

Also, the main thread at Brony at home is here. And I have NO idea who that 10esseePony guy is on that site. If you want to join their forum, send me a PM and I will help you to answer the challenge question they have (spam control).

Markfw

May 16, 2002
stats just came up !!! The 4 pm (PST) update should be very interesting !!!!!

Edit: The "internal" stats are WAY behind, so the EOC stats may not be interesting until they catch up on the "internal" ones.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
It's half past midnight at my place, but I'll stay up another half hour for eoc's next update. :coffee:

Edit, grr, I'm sure my inner clock will wake me for the next update then.

Last edited:
Reactions: petrusbroder

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, the internal stats have caught up a bit, but it wasn't in time for the 4 pm PST EOC update. The 7 pm EOC one WILL be interesting. It was down for 4 days. I only have 30 million more so its still a day behind.

Edit: I just got maybe all of it. 7 PM PST should be close to accurate.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
@Markfw , I'm preparing a guide for installing Linux with Nvidia GPUs, thanks to hiigaran of Brony@home. (You can just follow that guide though instead of waiting on me) My 1080's jumped at least 150k ppd!!! (650k to 827k on 9415 tasks) You really really really need to try it on a system or two, it is worth the downtime, even during a race.

@Ken g6 Stefan should have some impressive output from his (5?)GPUs, but he too (like me), is currently reorganizing a system or two, as he said he will be short 2 GPUs until sometime later in the race. I'm going to guess him (GPU only) at....4.5M ppd, +/- 500k.