The #1 North Korea 2013 tension thread [with rolling updates!]

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I feel so sorry for the people of North Korea. If the U.S. is forced to shut NK up, it's the oppressed people that will suffer.

I agree, and if NK were to use a nuke, suffer they will. Not even China will want to get involved.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/11/world/asia/north-korea-armistice/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Hong Kong (CNN) -- The North Korean army has declared invalid the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War in 1953, the official newspaper of the country's ruling Workers' Party said Monday.

yo! shit just got real!

hmm wonder waht they are up to? they gotta know they stand no chance.

I don't think the concept of mutually assured destruction as peacemaker applies in this case. The nation is ruled by a very few elite. Their calculations may be it is better to face war, and whatever comes of that, rather than internal strife. Their safest grip on power is to keep the nation the brink of war.

It is also possible they have miscalculated the impact of war.

It's really very unpredictable at this early stage of the new regime

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/11/world/asia/north-korea-armistice/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Hong Kong (CNN) -- The North Korean army has declared invalid the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War in 1953, the official newspaper of the country's ruling Workers' Party said Monday.

yo! shit just got real!

hmm wonder waht they are up to? they gotta know they stand no chance.

Has the North ended the armistice before?

Yes. In 2003, Pyonyang's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) announced that it may have "no option" but to stop honoring the armistice because of the United State's "persistent war moves."

In 2009, North Korea said its military would no longer be bound by the agreement because South Korea was joining a U.S.-led anti-proliferation plan.

Part of the reason for the latest move are the joint exercises between the United States and South Korea. A bigger reason is tougher sanctions passed in the U.N. Security Council against North Korea in response to its nuclear test on February 12.

Pyongyang carried out its third nuclear test, despite international condemnation.

Sounds like they're up to their usual bullshit.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What's interesting to me is if the NK gov't caves in, how are all of those brainwashed people in that country going to cope with the loss of their deity and how will they handle getting re-assimilated into becoming individuals with rights they never knew before. And I'm not going to even think about their defeated military component and their ability to adjust to a new lifestyle.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Here is a graph showing the range of North Korea ICBMs, it could very well strike major U.S population zones with a nuclear weapon, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

<snip>

This is not to be taken lightly, this is a major threat.
NK CANNOT strike any US territory with a nuclear weapon. The majority of analysts believe that NK does not have a weaponized nuke that can be delivered on a missile, let alone one that can hit the US. They can BARELY get something into orbit right now.

http://gizmodo.com/5989194/could-north-korea-really-hit-us-with-a-nuke

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Here is a graph showing the range of North Korea ICBMs, it could very well strike major U.S population zones with a nuclear weapon, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

northkorea940a.jpg

This is not to be taken lightly, this is a major threat.

Every NK long range missile test has failed.
they have been able to potentially send up a satellite.

They do not have the technology to deliver a nuke as a war head.

Actually, what You said is THE typical initial hearsay of NK. It seems lots of military nuts agree that:

1. Lots of artillery pointed at SK are getting very dated and would probably misfire.

2. Not much would actually reach Seoul

3. There are lots of articles and lots of enthusiasts actually laid out NK's artillery and concluded that they can only do light to moderate (i.e. their 120 mm cannon shell could barely topple 1 high rise, and it requires a proper mobile delivery past the border. Their SCUDS can be intercepted easily, etc). I will try to find the source again.

By no means Seoul will be leveled by any stretch of imagination. It's world's 8th~ largest city (nyc is 12th~).

Again, put yourself in NK's shoes. If they focus Seoul, they're doing nothing but pissing SK off (civilian deaths) and achieve nothing military-wise. Then they are wiped off the face of the earth. If they want any chance at success, it should be their aim to dominate the Korea peninsula. Then their principal targets should be Inchon Airport, Pusan, and Okiniwa.

Inchon may be easier. Pusan is at the southern tip of SK. You can forget about Okinawa.

Oh I grew up in Seoul and visited DMZ on a grade school trip.

NK does not have to level Seoul; The number of shells inbound itself will create serious panic.

You state that Seoul is the 8th; is that population or land area.
More dense the population; the more damage done.

chihlidog

Apr 12, 2011
From every standpoint, it is ridiculous that the NK regime is allowed to remain in power. They put their populace through hell. They rant and rave about how theyre going to kill the rest of the world. They destabilize the entire region. They drain resources. They may actually become a threat one of these days.

Im sorry, I know this is cold, and I know it's un-PC, but we need to destroy the capital, destroy the regime, just bomb it to hell. Id advocate saving as many innocent civilians as possible, sure, but it seems to me a lot of them would be better off dead anyway under the current regime.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I read from numerous Koreans in Korea reporting in that they're all laughing at the overreacting Americans (or Koreans in living in US checking in on Korea) because this crap happens on monthly basis.

NONE of this is in SK's news. They don't even care.

I'm bit discouraged to update this crying wolf game. It seems NK news are trending as the flavor of the month, while the real situation in SK knows absolutely nothing will happen.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
while the real situation in SK knows absolutely nothing will happen.
Agree, I don't think there's any reason to think anything will happen. The war games are being reported at koreaherald.com on the front page, but it's not the headline story. I imagine SK knows this is more just crazy rants from NK with no repercussions incoming.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
It's ok, lets just kick the can down the road for my kids to deal with. I'm sure they'll enjoy a good challenge.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I read from numerous Koreans in Korea reporting in that they're all laughing at the overreacting Americans (or Koreans in living in US checking in on Korea) because this crap happens on monthly basis.

NONE of this is in SK's news. They don't even care.

I'm bit discouraged to update this crying wolf game. It seems NK news are trending as the flavor of the month, while the real situation in SK knows absolutely nothing will happen.

Were those Koreans laughing when their sailors were killed? Were they laughing when their island was attacked and 4 people were killed?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
What's interesting to me is if the NK gov't caves in, how are all of those brainwashed people in that country going to cope with the loss of their deity and how will they handle getting re-assimilated into becoming individuals with rights they never knew before. And I'm not going to even think about their defeated military component and their ability to adjust to a new lifestyle.

The North Korean dynasty picked up where the Japanese left off before the end of WWII. Like the Japanese, they see their leader as a sun-god. Like the Japanese, their leader is a motherly figure with soft features. Like the Japanese, they worship him. So, if push come to shove, you will see bizarre behavior on their part.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm in South Korea now and to be honest no one cares. People don't even talk about what is going on. It's total nonsense. The only people who care are the American Press and the American public.

Also, South Koreans do not want to see a war, because once it's over the refuges would be pouring into South Korea looking for a better life. They don't have the resources to deal with 10 million refuges.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'm in South Korea now and to be honest no one cares. People don't even talk about what is going on. It's total nonsense. The only people who care are the American Press and the American public.

Also, South Koreans do not want to see a war, because once it's over the refuges would be pouring into South Korea looking for a better life. They don't have the resources to deal with 10 million refuges.

No rational South Korean would want war, but what if "nonsense" happened? What if the magical unicorns that tend the immortal leadership of NK say to strike and they do in a significant way? What would your country do? Would you insist we help or stay out?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

Looking at news sites, no asian sites has this in the front news.

Yup, flavor of the month for the western news.

And SK doesn't care not because they're ignorant or underestimation the situation. They deal with this crap on daily basis- for decades, and watch the NK's movement like a hawk behind the scenes.

No alert, not even on their news. It's nothing. SK became a veteran of dealing with NK's shit and what they really want (which isn't suicide).

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
No rational South Korean would want war, but what if "nonsense" happened? What if the magical unicorns that tend the immortal leadership of NK say to strike and they do in a significant way? What would your country do? Would you insist we help or stay out?

The UN and united states will 100% intervene. All hinges on how much china continues to support NK, and based on their recent condemnation of NK it seems unlikely they'll supply them, even behind the scenes.

But again, this is just saber rattling from NK. The ruling elite KNOWS they can't win a war, and starting a war means an end to their lavish lifestyle. This is just propaganda to "unite" the north koreans under a veil of fear and presumed attacks and an excuse to beef up internal security. My guess is there's some internal dissensions or rebellion going on that the world doesn't know about and this is an excuse to clean house.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
That guy in the front shoots like Joey Harrington throws a football.
Joey-Harrington.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
To everyone saying this is business as usual: can you show me a time previously where there was new, untested leadership on both sides of the fence at once?

I myself don't fear NK nukes. I do worry about that Fat Boy trying another round of jabs, only to have his counterpart across the DMZ go into Margaret Thatcher mode. There's potential for real shit there.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
To everyone saying this is business as usual: can you show me a time previously where there was new, untested leadership on both sides of the fence at once?

I myself don't fear NK nukes. I do worry about that Fat Boy trying another round of jabs, only to have his counterpart across the DMZ go into Margaret Thatcher mode. There's potential for real shit there.

There's always potential for real shit, but if the DPRK is deluded enough to think it can attack South Korea, Japan, or the US and still exist when the dust settles then it's already too late and we need to buckle up.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
There's always potential for real shit, but if the DPRK is deluded enough to think it can attack South Korea, Japan, or the US and still exist when the dust settles then it's already too late and we need to buckle up.

It's a delusion we helped foster, like it or not. Sternly worded releases don't count for much in Kim Jong land.

What's different this time is the South has pretty much cued the Western music and drawn a line in the sand. Actually, it's more like "reach for it and you die." No damage and body tally this time around.

I guess we'll see if expensive Swiss schooling paid off. I think it's a hell of a time for SK to grow some Thatchers (to borrow from Colbert). Un is actually letting computers and smart phones trickle in. He wants to modernize NK. I say we allow him, then let things like
http://opensource.com/life/11/7/fabfi-open-source-wireless-network-built-trash set the scene for what's been happening elsewhere in the world. Let the populace take care of their own trash, in concert with their Southern cousins hopefully. I figure it's best odds of China sitting it all out.

Hopefully, no missiles required.