Thanks, suckers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In other words extreme whack jobs on the fringe are a risk regardless of political affiliation. Just like extreme whack jobs on the fringe religiously can be potential threats.

Right, and frankly I agree with them. I see nothing wrong with the government keeping an eye out for sources of domestic terrorism whether it be from the right (Timothy McVeigh) or from the left (the Unabomber).

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I'm assuming you're young. Plenty of past Presidential candidates have campaigned on SS reform. This is why Democrats have used it for so many years as a scare tactic.

BTW: Another benefit the elderly get is Medicare.

Fern

Campaigned on major changes? Who?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because the cost/benefit for killing dissidents has not reached the point where it is worthwhile. Even the Chinese government has stopped executing dissidents, but there is no denying that they are a murder-theft regime. The US government simply loses tax revenue in return for some outrage if they went around killing people for thoughtcrimes.

The murder part of murder-theft currently applies mainly to foreigners who defy the petrodollar system.

Please send me a link to your newsletter.

It's amazingly convenient how you guys always have some reason why the oppressive, murderous, tyrannical government that you claim exists never seems to bother you despite your heroic efforts to expose their unstoppable evil.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
Please send me a link to your newsletter.

It's amazingly convenient how you guys always have some reason why the oppressive, murderous, tyrannical government that you claim exists never seems to bother you despite your heroic efforts to expose their unstoppable evil.

Well, it bothers me that they are confiscating a large chunk of my paycheck every two weeks, it bothers me that they started two wars in recent memory that killed hundreds of thousands of people, it bothers me they turned the internet into a spying machine, it bothers me that they use drones to assassinate people without any sort of due process, and it bothers me that they jail thousands for their pharmaceutical choices.

But hey, all that is fine and dandy because they haven't come to kill me yet. Gotcha.

OK done for real now, back to work designing CPU's so you statists can praise your overlords on the internet. :)

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Heh. Gee, it's so surprising that the resident liberals wouldn't like hearing someone thank them for being suckers and voting for their own serfdom. I'm shocked!

I liked this comment more than the article:

Many young people and most liberals have no understanding of what they have delivered upon themselves. However, very soon you will. Wait until you get a load of the subsidy that "You", a younger person, are going to pay for "Me", a person who is just on the other side of 50, pretty well set financially and does not draw such a big paycheck from "My" company anymore. My $858 monthly subsidy, $10,296 annual, is going to come from somewhere, and I believe that that somewhere is "Your" paycheck. Yeah, "You" young people and liberals. You don't possibly think that "You" got a pass because you are a liberal, do you? When "They" were talking about that "Other" who was going to be paying for this mess, did you have any idea that to everybody else but you, "You" are that "Other" person?

Now stop wasting time reading this crackpot website and get back to work. In fact get a second job! There are a lot of people like me who need for "You" young people to pay our Obamacare subsidies and then our Medicare and then our Social Security benefits. You liberals and wide-eyed progressive minded youngsters were "Hoping" for "Change" to utopia, you thought that you found the path, you fell for the lies; you even voted for it. Now you got it. Well, actually "You" don't, I do. "You" just get to pay for it while "I" enjoy it and by the time that "Your" time to collect comes around, these systems too will be far to broke to fix and they will dissolve. Maybe you did not understand that my age group is just as entitled as you, maybe more, and political affiliation does not entitle or stop the benefit.

So get your /\$$ out there and work, work, work! We are going to need at least 65% of your gross paycheck(s) to continue the lifestyle to which we have become accustomed and you voted for. Oh, and let me not forget to say, "Thanks".

Heh heh, so true.

Now, back to work all you government-worshiping serfs. You've got this guy and many other people's bennies to pay for. He's 100% right when he says the 'other guy' you thought was going to be the one paying bennies just for other big-govt worshiping serfs is actually YOU paying bennies for well-off people that think you're an idiot, and don't even like the government you worship. So back to it! Get to work! That's the serfdom you begged for... you got it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
--doesn't like the government; claims it "doesn't work"

--runs for public office and gets elected, refuses to do anything while in office, only to prove that government "doesn't work"

Makes sense.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well, it bothers me that they are confiscating a large chunk of my paycheck every two weeks, it bothers me that they started two wars in recent memory that killed hundreds of thousands of people, it bothers me they turned the internet into a spying machine, it bothers me that they use drones to assassinate people without any sort of due process, and it bothers me that they jail thousands for their pharmaceutical choices.

But hey, all that is fine and dandy because they haven't come to kill me yet. Gotcha.

OK done for real now, back to work designing CPU's so you statists can praise your overlords on the internet. :)

Government research created the internet and the computer industry and made possible your huge salary you bemoan paying taxes on. You will find true happiness digging dirt for a few farthings and keeping all of it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Did you see werepossoms post in another thread where he said liberals move to conservative areas to change them to liberal areas? Crazy indeed!

My guess is that most of these type of thinkers suffer from some sort of mental disorder, most likely schizophrenia. We definitely have a mental health issue in this country, even if we were to come up with a solution the question would be: would the mentally ill seek treatment? If they won't then how will the problem ever be fixed.
That's not actually what I said, but I have accepted that that is what you are capable of reading.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Don't be bitter that the piece that made you so happy is going over like a lead balloon here in P&N. We might begin to think you and the author are one and the same.
Damn and I thought all you Obama voters were going to see the light based on some lawyer's opinion. Oh well, it's all just one's and zero's.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
I know it's already been said but anyone who thinks that

There’s no sugar-coating it – your votes for Democrats have ensured that you are the first generation in American history that will fail to exceed what their parents attained

is a moron. While his point about failing to exceed the baby boomer generation is likely true this has remarkably little to do with obama and a lot more to do with our financial and trade policies for the last ~40(?) years.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
"Government created the computer industry"

LOL.

Liberals. God bless their dumb little minds.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I know it's already been said but anyone who thinks that

is a moron. While his point about failing to exceed the baby boomer generation is likely true this has remarkably little to do with obama and a lot more to do with our financial and trade policies for the last ~40(?) years.
Assuming you're right, what has our current two term president done to make that all better? If you ponder on that for a while, you might have a better understanding of what the author is saying.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
^ Oh absolutely nothing at all. i'm simply pointing out that the author is conflating two disparate topics -- young people paying for old people's healthcare via forced insurance use, and young people growing up into a debt ridden, trade deficit'ed clusterf*ck that their parents were more than happy to milk to the heart's content before blaming young people for being too lazy.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Every Young person will eventually be Old(excepting those who Die of course). So the Young Pay now, collect Later. Just as current Old folk did.

The only wrong that the Baby Boomers have committed was merely existing. Their parents got a little sex crazed after WW2, creating a Demographic Bubble that is still in the process of traversing history.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
I'll likely be retiring within the next 10 years and want to make sure I say 'thank you' to you and all the millennials who will be working the rest of their lives to help take care of me.

Yeah see funny part about that is, in 20 years you'll be dead and we'll forget about you. So not really even a quarter of our lives will we take care of you, and that's at best. We're all hoping you'll be dead before we worry about it, hopefully from an accidental gun discharge at an NRA meeting.

------------------------------------------
Wishing Death on a member is not acceptable.

Being a noob, you have a warning vs an infraction

EK
Admin

Last edited by a moderator:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
^ Oh absolutely nothing at all. i'm simply pointing out that the author is conflating two disparate topics -- young people paying for old people's healthcare via forced insurance use, and young people growing up into a debt ridden, trade deficit'ed clusterf*ck that their parents were more than happy to milk to the heart's content before blaming young people for being too lazy.
Without the ability to change the past, we all have to work with the cards we're dealt.

Now, don't get all jiggy on me because I'm going to quote a prayer. I'm going to preface it by saying that I am an atheist. An atheist that can respect the beliefs of others. I'm going to paraphrase it.

"grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change"

Some words and phrases have wisdom in them that should be universal to all. You are angry not with the author, what he is saying, or how he is "conflating two disparate topics". You are angry at the world you were born into. You've got a lot of company. Both now and through the ages. You can't change the past and neither could those before you.

I said it in my original post. Elections have consequences. Our choices typically suck. But it's important to understand when one is being wined and dined. If anyone understands that last sentence in the context of what is happening today as a result of reading this guy's article well my posting it was not a waste.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Yeah see funny part about that is, in 20 years you'll be dead and we'll forget about you. So not really even a quarter of our lives will we take care of you, and that's at best. We're all hoping you'll be dead before we worry about it, hopefully from an accidental gun discharge at an NRA meeting.
Guess who just crossed a line?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Every Young person will eventually be Old(excepting those who Die of course). So the Young Pay now, collect Later. Just as current Old folk did.

The problem is the core concept of complaint- that the system is unsustainable. It only works now due to massive deficits, which only hold because the petrodollar is the world's reserve currency.

When that changes, and it will in my lifetime, then those benefits will go away. I will pay in and get an IOU.