[TFT CENTRAL]Asus ROG Swift PG279Q review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
437828382.jpg

If you could link to the people on their 3rd or 4th RMA that would be great, I've searched and haven't seen that.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
If you could link to the people on their 3rd or 4th RMA that would be great, I've searched and haven't seen that.

Why did you obscure your icons? :p If you want to hide your icons for a screenshot you can right click on the Desktop, go to View and uncheck Show Desktop Icons.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Why did you obscure your icons? :p If you want to hide your icons for a screenshot you can right click on the Desktop, go to View and uncheck Show Desktop Icons.

:thumbsup:

Learned something new today.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Mine is great. I am very happy. No tearing with G-Sync enabled is great. I haven't done much yet. I just played Diablo 3 quick at 144 Hz.

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
There is very little BLB on my unit, mostly just IPS glow. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_7a-SiZwc

Uniformity isn't as good as some other IPS panels I've used, like the UM95. Top 1/3 quadrant of the screen is ever so slightly darker on an all white background. You won't notice it in games but for color work it could be a concern. Have seen some others mention this so not specific to my unit.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
well, no one has these in stock and I haven't seen any new stock pop up on nowinstock.net.... WTH Asus!

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm guessing there won't be any decent panels until next year now. :(

Sigh... I've been waiting for this panel to come out in decent quantities and hopefully at my local Fry's. If it doesn't come out soon, I'll probably just buy a Dell U2415 whenever the Dell goes on sale. :(

I really wanted to try this monitor but I can't hold off waiting forever!

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Sigh.. Couldn't wait. The Dell U2415 went on sale for $240. Bought one on newegg... No PG279Q for me. Maybe next year. :(

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
I was able to snag one from newegg about 2 hours ago. I'll post my impressions and QC on Friday

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
Shipping mine back tomorrow. I was very happy with it in most respects but the luminance issue was a deal breaker.

On a white background the top 1/3 quadrant of the monitor looks about twice as dark as my UM95, calibrated to the same brightness level and everything.

I've never seen such a deviation in luminance on an IPS panel before. Usually it's around 15% or so, which is almost unnoticeable, but this was 30%. It probably won't bother most people, but it ended up being more annoying than BLB for me. I could never use TN panels so I am very sensitive to color shift.

I'm now considering the Predator X34 as that uses the same panel as my LG so uniformity is excellent, though there is some scan line issue apparently so waiting until that's sorted.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Not sure if I should try to get an exchange or if my panel is not as bad as others who may have complained. Here is a video I attached with the issue apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd7btnQH1IU

Funny that LCDs have never really fixed these issues. I remember going through 4 2005FPWs trying to get a panel with uniform backlighting, and just getting tired of it and settling. I definitely want one of these 144Hz IPS Gsync monitors, but in every thread most people complain about build issues.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
I got mine a week ago.

Wanted to try it for some time before I gave my initial impressions. Most people wait no more than mere hours, max a day before weighing in.

First, I did have a very small amount of BLB in the left side of the screen. I didn't notice it first but once I came closer to the screen I saw it. Other than that, uniformity is good and no dead pixels/scanlines or whatnot. In normal use, I don't notice any BLB at all. Even when watching movies. It's really a tiny sliver and it's quite weak. You have to stare at the monitor for extended periods of time in total darkness to see it.

The etailer I bought it from seemed to have a good batch. I've looked at the SweClockers thread for this monitor and basically everyone who bought from the same source was happy. So it's not that I was amazingly lucky, it was simply that whole batch.

The monitor is already quite calibrated out of the factory, but I did try with some of the settings I've found online. I wasn't perfectly happy with it, I prefer deeper colors over saturation and granted, my taste is a bit niche so I turned the brightness down a bit and mixed the colors slightly differently.

I've checked blurbusters frame skipping check and all the rest, and it's all working like it should. So that's the technical/QC aspect of it.

I went from a 1080p TN G-Sync panel(at 144 Hz). So the primary benefits for me were bigger resolution and IPS. I didn't expect to find the 1440p resolution as key in games and what I've found is that it largely depends. Some games like R6: Siege play well at 1200p at 27". Some games, especially older games like the DX9 title of NS2, look fugly as hell on 1080p or 1200p. It's 1440p or bust there.

I've noticed this too with Battlefield 4. Playing at slightly lower resolutions(in MP) is not too noticable, but it is in games like CS:GO or CS:S. I always play at 1440p in SP campaigns, but on MP, the frame rate can vary quite a bit. If you're fine with 60-70 fps, you can do 1440p with a 980 on high/ultra in MP games, but if you want 120+ fps for ULMB you either have to adjust the details down or adjust the resolution. I do either of those for those rare games like BF4 which are quite demanding in MP.

The IPS switch is a big deal, but not as big as the resolution. The TN panel I had was already decent, but of course TN has its limitation. I wouldn't switch back, that's for sure.

One unexpected thing was how much I appreciate 1440p for reading stuff on the web. The extra sharpness in text is really obvious. It's like going from 720p to 1080p in mobile. Of course 720p isn't terrible, but once you go to 1080p it's such a difference.

Size-wise, I like the 27" factor. I could see myself use a 32" monitor, but only with a VESA mount since otherwise the top edge of the monitor goes up too much.

One final thing, Asus' OSD for the monitor is top notch. I've read about it before and thought to myself "who cares about the OSD". Believe me, you will start caring once you see how good the implementation is and wonder how you could ever use the nonsense on your previous monitor.

Overall, it's a great experience. My next monitor is either going to be OLED, HDR or 32". Preferably all three. In my view, upgrading to a new high-end monitor is really like going to an SSD in 2010-2011. It was starting to become mainstream but was still out of reach for most people. Hopefully in 3-4 years time, what I bought for $599 will be available to the masses for $299 to $399.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Interesting to see people disliking the uniformity. That was my biggest complaint when I went through several Acer monitors. Everything about the monitor was great, but the lighting was non uniform. It makes solid, light colored backgrounds appear uneven and darker in some areas. It sucks that this Asus suffers from it as well. I'm used to it now though and its usually only visible if I look for it. Anyway, enjoy your new Asus monitor people!

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
Interesting to see people disliking the uniformity. That was my biggest complaint when I went through several Acer monitors. Everything about the monitor was great, but the lighting was non uniform. It makes solid, light colored backgrounds appear uneven and darker in some areas. It sucks that this Asus suffers from it as well. I'm used to it now though and its usually only visible if I look for it. Anyway, enjoy your new Asus monitor people!

Uniformity is a hit and miss from what I've seen. Mine is totally fine.

Anecdotally, it also seems Europe have gotten better batches in general than the U.S.

Most of the negative reports about scanlines etc have been from U.S. forums. The folks at Sweclockers are very demanding of their monitors and since Sweden has very pro-consumer proction laws, people aren't hesitant to send in their stuff - multiple times if need be - so there's no bottleneck there either.

But this seems to be a trend now. I've seen a lot of East Asian tech come to the EU first. Maybe it has to do with some kind of FTA or similar treaty.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Uniformity is a hit and miss from what I've seen. Mine is totally fine.

Anecdotally, it also seems Europe have gotten better batches in general than the U.S.

Most of the negative reports about scanlines etc have been from U.S. forums. The folks at Sweclockers are very demanding of their monitors and since Sweden has very pro-consumer proction laws, people aren't hesitant to send in their stuff - multiple times if need be - so there's no bottleneck there either.

But this seems to be a trend now. I've seen a lot of East Asian tech come to the EU first. Maybe it has to do with some kind of FTA or similar treaty.

That's not fair. They should send the U.S. their best stuff, and if they don't, we'll bomb them.
Thats

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
There is very little BLB on my unit, mostly just IPS glow. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_7a-SiZwc

Uniformity isn't as good as some other IPS panels I've used, like the UM95. Top 1/3 quadrant of the screen is ever so slightly darker on an all white background. You won't notice it in games but for color work it could be a concern. Have seen some others mention this so not specific to my unit.

for an $800 monitor. that is unacceptable.

how do some of you live with it?

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
IPS glow is almost always angle dependent. If viewing straight on should not be an issue.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
IPS glow is almost always angle dependent. If viewing straight on should not be an issue.

Mm, no. Not totally. IPS glow can be worse at an angle but just sitting head on, there will still be significant IPS glow for many panels.

My Dell U2415 and Dell U2413 both have IPS glow from head on in the corners and/or bottom of the panel.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012

Maybe USA gets a slightly different sub-model? Korean and EU electric plugs are identical AFAIK so they could come from different batches to the American screens?