[TFT CENTRAL]Asus ROG Swift PG279Q review

nvgpu

Sep 12, 2014
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

We really did like the PG279Q and we've now found our new reference gaming screen! The gaming performance was excellent, and second to none at the moment. Very fast response times for an IPS panel, 144Hz native refresh rate support, no lag, NVIDIA G-sync capability, ULMB blur reduction mode and a few nice gaming extras all add up to an excellent gaming offering. The overclockable refresh rate is little more than a marketing gimmick in our opinion, only because you already have a very high native refresh rate anyway and the bump isn't significant, let alone easy to power from your system. Had it been a boost from 60Hz to 165Hz we would have been more impressed at the change no doubt, but here it wasn't really necessary. On top of the gaming performance you have a very good default setup, strong contrast ratio, flicker free backlight and a quality build and design. The price point is of course high, but you are paying for a quality product here with some top notch performance.

Peppered

Jul 3, 2009
I saw a great review of this monitor. I fried my 780TI and decided to do a up grade went with a 710 MB and a 4 ghz skylake cpu and a Gigabite 760 gpu.
have a nice Eizo 144 hz monitor so at this point a 960 wont hurt me to bad. just din't want to but anything much more expensive at this point until I see how pascal turns out.I will receive my bonus the 1st quarter of next year so I can upgrade the monitor the (PG279Q)
and the GPU at that time hoping that pascal will be out then.

Looking forward to my Bonus and seeing what G_Sync and Free Sync monitors come out. I am also very curious what we might see in Video card improvements next year, would be nice to get a single card solution to drive a 1440 p or 4 k getting the native res and fps of the games.

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
We got in one, a review sample, so I'm not sure how that compares to what will ship, but so far it's damned impressive. Very damned impressive. 165Hz is so... fluid. Of course you need SLI 980Ti level power to reach that with relatively current games at native res. But if you have that kind of rig, the thing is gorgeous. No appreciable backlight bleed (there's a little IPS glow on the bottom edge, but nothing like most other IPS panels I've seen), no bad/stuck pixels. If you have the dough, this appears to be the one to get.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
2 more reviews just released:

Pcper:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...-165Hz-2560x1440-27-IPS-G-Sync-Monitor-Review

Hexus:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/monitors/87242-asus-rog-swift-pg279q/

Hoping Anandtech will do a review of this gem! All the sites rated it THE monitor to beat. I've been waiting for to replace my aging Dell U2711 with a solid 144hz+ monitor with G-sync. It's got everything i wanted and i'm sure it'll hold me over until OLED goes mainstream. People are saying the $800 price is excessive, but the monitor is a system part you buy and keep for 5-7 years & then resell it for a decent price. So do the math, that's $100-$150 a year for this thing.

Now, the problem is availability....they're saying it's due out 1st week of November but i imagine the demand will make it difficult to get.:p

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Asus claims that there will be no problems with availability on release, unlike the TN ROG Swift. We'll see.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
According to that review, this has the same IPS glow as the Acer Predator. I don't know if its the same panel underneath but the IPS glow of the Predator was so bad as to make it unusable to me. The image quality was as bad or worse then typical fast TN monitors from several years ago.

Spanners

Mar 16, 2014
According to that review, this has the same IPS glow as the Acer Predator. I don't know if its the same panel underneath but the IPS glow of the Predator was so bad as to make it unusable to me. The image quality was as bad or worse then typical fast TN monitors from several years ago.

Relevant paragraph...

"The Asus ROG Swift PG279Q features an AU Optronics M270Q008 V0 AHVA (IPS-type) panel which is capable of producing 16.7 million colours with a true 8-bit colour depth. This is a new panel that we've not seen in any screen before. Early reports and some other reviews have wrongly stated that the screen is using the same M270DAN02.3 panel as the similarly spec'd Acer XB270HU and Asus MG279Q. That isn't right though, and isn't really logical given that this is a new borderless / frameless style panel as well. We expect to see this new panel used in the forthcoming Acer XB271HU when that's released too."

I'd be very surprised if there are massive differences glow wise but it's a different panel. They still mention glow in the "cons".

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003

Pretty sure it couldn't be that bad since all 3 sites stated it's the best monitor out right now & THE monitor to beat.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Having briefly owned both the ROG Swift and Acer Predator, IPS glow is really a deal breaker to me. I'd way rather have an 8-bit TN panel. The main reason why I returned the original TN ROG swift I had (twice) was because it had comically bad gamma, which was a defect not a design flaw. The TN viewing angle shift is not anywhere near as bad as IPS glow IMO.

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
Having briefly owned both the ROG Swift and Acer Predator, IPS glow is really a deal breaker to me. I'd way rather have an 8-bit TN panel. The main reason why I returned the original TN ROG swift I had (twice) was because it had comically bad gamma, which was a defect not a design flaw. The TN viewing angle shift is not anywhere near as bad as IPS glow IMO.

What panel do you use then, if you don't mind my asking?

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
The TN viewing angle shift is not anywhere near as bad as IPS glow IMO.
I fully agree.
I had two Acer XB270HUs on my desk for a short while. They both had yellow glow in the corners. No matter how much other people like IPS, that glow for me was terrible. Unacceptable for me.

Good to hear the Asus uses a different panel. But still, TFTCentral specifically warns against the glow again. If you play dark games and/or play in a dimly lit room. (And I do both). And then there was this photo, taken at a trade-show to show off the monitor:
aMKbSEY.jpg

After seeing that photo, I sincerely doubt that this Asus PG279Q is any better than the Acer XB270HU.

I'm waiting for the first G-Sync monitor with a VA-panel. (Which will be the Acer Predator Z35, released in a few weeks).

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Pretty sure it couldn't be that bad since all 3 sites stated it's the best monitor out right now & THE monitor to beat.

You should look at the reviews from owners in Europe. It's pretty obvious Asus sent cherry picked monitors to review sites. You might get a great panel, or you might get a horrible one with bleed/awful glow/dirt/dead pixels just like the Acer lottery.

Buy it from a place that won't give you a hassle over returns/exchanges, IMO.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Hmmm what panel is my Dell using? Cause if it has "IPS glow" then it's hardly noticeable for me. Love my Dell IPS monitor but want 144hz & g-sync.

Edit: just looked at some pics with large black borders full screen & didn't notice any bleeding like those asus/acer monitors.

Last edited:

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Which model Dell? But it's most likely a LG ips panel which is different from these 144hz panels.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'll keep an eye on this but I'm gonna hold out for the Eizo and see how it compares. Tho tbh, I think I need a non-IPS monitor at this point. If most of my gaming is going to end up being Star Citizen and survival games with so many dark scenes the IPS glow makes these fancy monitors pretty useless.

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
Which model Dell? But it's most likely a LG ips panel which is different from these 144hz panels.

In my experience, there are alot of people who exaggerate the presence of IPS glow. These are the same people who set their panels to 80+ brightness and claim that the IPS glow is too prevalent when gaming in low light/dark :colbert:

My XB is set to about 40 brightness and I almost exclusively game with the lights on (eye strain, come on people). Even that is too bright for some games. IPS glow is mostly not existent at that point, even in dark scenes

IPS panels produce IPS glow. If there is too much, send it back for a new one (Unless you buy ASUS, then the battle for RMA is a little harder than Acer).

Life is too short for Twisted Nematic Washout.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
The TN viewing angle shift is not anywhere near as bad as IPS glow IMO.

Haha really?

IPS glow on these AU panels is perfectly fine if you set your monitor at non torchlight levels of brightness. The gamma shift from TN panels (especially at 27") is a much worse trade-off than a little IPS glow.

Sheesh.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'll keep an eye on this but I'm gonna hold out for the Eizo and see how it compares. Tho tbh, I think I need a non-IPS monitor at this point. If most of my gaming is going to end up being Star Citizen and survival games with so many dark scenes the IPS glow makes these fancy monitors pretty useless.

Which Eizo? I looked at the sticky and it seems the only upcoming Eizo is freesync, not g-sync.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Which Eizo? I looked at the sticky and it seems the only upcoming Eizo is freesync, not g-sync.

FS2735. It's Freesync. Even though I have nvidia I'm about to just give up and get any high refresh rate monitor that fits my requirements. Even if I don't get sync right now at least everything else will be better and high refresh rate should at least reduce the screen tearing. Hopefully nvidia supports it eventually, if not oh well.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
FS2735. It's Freesync. Even though I have nvidia I'm about to just give up and get any high refresh rate monitor that fits my requirements. Even if I don't get sync right now at least everything else will be better and high refresh rate should at least reduce the screen tearing. Hopefully nvidia supports it eventually, if not oh well.

I'd say it's at least 2-3 years before nvidia crumbles and supports freesync. G-sync is a money maker for them. :/

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Looks like its nearly identical in performance to the Acer XB270HU. Glad I bought the Acer and didn't wait for this. Its nice and all, but I'm not missing anything is what I'm saying. I can't imagine what monitor will come out next that justifies upgrading from these 1440 IPS variants.
I look forward to the legions of unhappy gamers complaining about "backlight bleed" just like they did with the Acer. I see the Asus is about the same in the uniformity department, which is what I was really curious about. It hasn't changed. Edge lit displays seem to suffer from this in general.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Looks like its nearly identical in performance to the Acer XB270HU. Glad I bought the Acer and didn't wait for this. Its nice and all, but I'm not missing anything is what I'm saying. I can't imagine what monitor will come out next that justifies upgrading from these 1440 IPS variants.
I look forward to the legions of unhappy gamers complaining about "backlight bleed" just like they did with the Acer. I see the Asus is about the same in the uniformity department, which is what I was really curious about. It hasn't changed. Edge lit displays seem to suffer from this in general.

OLED. When that comes out & becomes affordable it'll blow away any IPS.