TF2 Servers? Yes! We have a new TF2 Group :-)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Okay, what was up with the lag last night? Did the server need a reboot or what?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Curly
Okay, what was up with the lag last night? Did the server need a reboot or what?

Yeah, there was a guy with over 900 ping for a while there! :Q

KT

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Wow, I just led my team in scoring for the first time and it was as a spy. It's actually quite a challenge to pull off, but it's tons of fun.

I am alittle confused about the spy. Does an enemy spy only smoke when you shoot him or all the time?

I get killed by spies alot but haven't been able to use them myself. I usually get into the enemy base and someone figures it out somehow and kills me.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
The smoke a spy makes only happens while he's changing costumes. The main reason you keep getting killed is because everyone shoots their team mates thinking they're spies. That's why I stopped playing one. Not because it was too hard or anything, but it's so damn frustrating.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Count me in! Picked up the box yesterday, but I still can't figure out how to build anything with an engineer.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Tobolo
Count me in! Picked up the box yesterday, but I still can't figure out how to build anything with an engineer.

Select the little control pad from your weapon selection screen (should the the third one); a screen will pop up with 4 items to choose from that you can build. Press the corresponding number of the item you want, then a little blueprint will appear in front of you with an outline of the item, and this will allow you to place the item wherever you want (as long as there is not a red X to say you can't place it there).

Hit Mouse 1 and the item will start to build. Switch to the wrench and whack the structure (just hold down Mouse 1 when you are right next to the structure and facing it) in order to make it build faster. Whacking the structure with the wrench is also how you repair a damaged structure or remove a spy's sapper.

Building an item will use metal (you start with 200 and you can see the counter adjust everytime you use some, or get more) which can be replenished by:

1. Using resupply locker at spawn point
2. Picking up weapons from recently departed players (it's automatic when you run over the weapons)
3. Building a dispenser and standing next to it
4. Using the metal/ammo resupply drops that are placed throughout the map

Hope that helps! :)

Good luck,
KT

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Awesome thanks. I was a sniper/engineer beast in TFC. I hope to continue my reign!

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Beev
The smoke a spy makes only happens while he's changing costumes. The main reason you keep getting killed is because everyone shoots their team mates thinking they're spies. That's why I stopped playing one. Not because it was too hard or anything, but it's so damn frustrating.

Do they smoke when you shoot them too?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I've only played the Soldier, Sniper and a little bit of the Heavy...I'm slowly getting used to them before I move onto other characters.

Can't wait to hit someone with my bat as the Scout :p

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: binister

They smoke when shot or when changing costumes and I think also after attacking but not after placing sappers I don't think.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Select the little control pad from your weapon selection screen (should the the third one); a screen will pop up with 4 items to choose from that you can build. Press the corresponding number of the item you want, then a little blueprint will appear in front of you with an outline of the item, and this will allow you to place the item wherever you want (as long as there is not a red X to say you can't place it there).

Hit Mouse 1 and the item will start to build. Switch to the wrench and whack the structure (just hold down Mouse 1 when you are right next to the structure and facing it) in order to make it build faster. Whacking the structure with the wrench is also how you repair a damaged structure or remove a spy's sapper.

Building an item will use metal (you start with 200 and you can see the counter adjust everytime you use some, or get more) which can be replenished by:

2. Picking up weapons from recently departed players (it's automatic when you run over the weapons)

Good luck,
KT

i don't think whacking the structure with your wrench as it is building makes a difference.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
I've only played the Soldier, Sniper and a little bit of the Heavy...I'm slowly getting used to them before I move onto other characters.

Oh man, I got a kill with the liquor jug the pyro carries. I laughed for a minute straight after the sight of that.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: binister

i don't know. i read another forum that said they do but i haven't noticed anything happen when you shoot a disguised spy, and i've shot lots of them.

i'm not 100% but i'm pretty sure that if you hit a cloaked spy, they unlcoak for a second.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

Good luck,
KT

i don't think whacking the structure with your wrench as it is building makes a difference.

It most definitely does. :)

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Oh man, I got a kill with the liquor jug the pyro carries. I laughed for a minute straight after the sight of that.

demoman. pyro carries an axe.

i also read that if you whack your liquor jug on a wall a few times, it will break and you have a jagged bottle to use as a weapon. haven't tried it or seen it myself yet though.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

demoman. pyro carries an axe.

i also read that if you whack your liquor jug on a wall a few times, it will break and you have a jagged bottle to use as a weapon. haven't tried it or seen it myself yet though.

Yep, it's true. Takes about 4 or 5 whacks for it to happen.

KT

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

oh yes, it does.

KT

nah, I've my teamates did it in 3 tries.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: andylawcc

oh yes, it does.

KT

nah, I've my teamates did it in 3 tries.

Ok then , anywhere from 3 to 5 whacks! :p

KT

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
They don't smoke or anything. If you use a gun they don't do anything, if you use rockets/grenades they explode on impact. The pyro can also set disguised spies on fire.

Oct 9, 1999
They don't smoke or anything. If you use a gun they don't do anything, if you use rockets/grenades they explode on impact. The pyro can also set disguised spies on fire.

i hate pyros. especially spamming ones. if FF is on in a server then the pyro becomes worthless in most cases.

Dec 27, 2001

As somebody who's had amazingly wild success with the spy let me hook you up with the tricks of the trade.

First of all, a teammate running towards you is easily identifiable as a spy. So you need to be facing the same way as the enemy team, but if you're out infront of them and not dying and not shooting, they'll take you down quick.

Which leads us to the primary technique for a spy which is to use your cloak just before making contact with the enemy and use it to sneak behind their lines and find a spot to decloak out of sight and then proceed to charge the front. Most of the time you'll end up getting killed right after getting your kill, but once you know the maps and when you can and can't bide your time for a less conspicuous kill, you can get 2 or more a round.

Disguise yourself as classes that have an excuse for not firing madly......the sniper and pyro are my favorite. Engineer is great, but you carry a shotgun instead of the typical wrench that engineers spend 90% of their time holding so you stand out. Never be a scout because you run slower than scouts usually do and you have no excuse for bumming around the base.

I also play a lot as an engineer when I'm not a spy and always stand with my back against something and will fire at anybody who even looks at my turret and sometimes just randomly into space to test for cloaked spies, so you're going to get caught a lot by paranoid players, but that's the fun and the challenge.

Funniest story I read was of a spy cloaked as a soldier sitting in the middle of a group of enemy snipers and medics trying to get behind them, but they kept turning to face him. Finally, he realized they were watching him because they were expecting him, as the soldier, to to be the first to charge the last capture point.......so that's what he did........led the enemy team on their final assault on his own team's base.

Myself I have several hillarious moments of guys looking at me suspiciously and I can practically see them rationalizing themselves out of it and get comfortable and then get backstabbed by me a few seconds later. Or medics who heal you and won't give you their back because they're intent on following you and when you can't lead them to a turret you have to turn, switch to pistol, and line up a shot on the poor soon-to-be-disillusioned bastard.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Oh I've had my share of good runs as a spy. I just know how it can be sometimes. Since I've stopped playing a spy I see medics always needle gunning people before healing them. Engineers shoot EVERYONE. And pyros that help engineers guard their turrets try to set fire on everyone that even walks by. Paranoia runs rampant in the game, as it should.

Dec 27, 2001
Yeah, with an engineer you KNOW he's gonna fire a test shot into you. Just ignore it and sap his turret before it targets you....you have one second....then sap the generator. 50/50 chance he'll leave you to get the sappers as it can take a few shots or more to kill a jumping spy. If he doesn't then he's stupid and will be out of the action way longer than you will.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: DP

i hate pyros. especially spamming ones. if FF is on in a server then the pyro becomes worthless in most cases.

There is no more FF :(