Tesla Model III preorders have started

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
That survey is after initial ownership. Their reliability survey of what happens down the road tells a different story.

I didn't see the revised number, what % of owners would buy again "down the road"?

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
^ I saw this a few days ago. Solid clip showing lots of details about it. Overall, I dig the car. Now, just have to wait some to get one...

Yeah, I wish I could pick one up now & get rid of my clunker! 2 years is a long time to wait :(

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
No, I meant initial ownership satisfaction vs. their standard reliability survey results (which only occurred after they had enough data - "down the road").

Gotcha. I would bet that despite consumer reports numbers that vast majority that have been indoctrinated into the cult of tesla would happily do so again. Would be interesting to see an update that is later than the initial survey.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Gotcha. I would bet that despite consumer reports numbers that vast majority that have been indoctrinated into the cult of tesla would happily do so again. Would be interesting to see an update that is later than the initial survey.

I would assume that a car powered exclusively by an electric motor would be more reliable than most internal combustion cars, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess no matter what powers them, all cars are complex.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I would assume that a car powered exclusively by an electric motor would be more reliable than most internal combustion cars, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess no matter what powers them, all cars are complex.

It's not the case for Tesla. Lets not generalize that assumption to all electric cars. My limited understanding and review of the data suggests your hypothesis re: electric cars being more "reliable" than ICE is correct.

Tesla is a complete newbie at building cars. There are bound to be some issues. If the company survives long enough to learn from their mistakes we should see a significant increase in reliability stats.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
Tesla is getting killed on the basics like door handles not working. Infotainment failing. Not huge issues leave you on the side of the road problems. I wish consumer reports would generate a study where it shows the difference between stupid electronic issues and transmission and engine problems. Acura and Honda are known for having tranny issues with the V6s engines. I would much rather deal with a broken door handle than having to pony up 6k for an Acura tranny at 75k miles.

Either way Consumer Reports is valuable resource. I am a current subscriber and generally enjoy reading their guides.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Tesla is getting killed on the basics like door handles not working. Infotainment failing. Not huge issues leave you on the side of the road problems.
Either way Consumer Reports is valuable resource. I am a current subscriber and generally enjoy reading their guides.

They did replace nearly every drive unit in the first few years of S production.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
It's not the case for Tesla. Lets not generalize that assumption to all electric cars. My limited understanding and review of the data suggests your hypothesis re: electric cars being more "reliable" than ICE is correct.

Tesla is a complete newbie at building cars. There are bound to be some issues. If the company survives long enough to learn from their mistakes we should see a significant increase in reliability stats.
Yes, I meant my comment to be only about the Tesla. It's hopefully just growing pains.

As a "green" person, I applaud Tesla owners' benevolence toward the environment, and its styling is certainly more attractive than, say, the Nissan Leaf, but it doesn't seem logical to discount other owners' reliability experiences in favor of having the latest, most stylish thing.

My needs are different, but even if they made an all electric minivan, I don't know if I could get over "range anxiety."

There's also the matter of Tesla's driver distraction factor. With so many commonly used controls only available on its giant touch screen, one must take their eyes off the road too much IMO. My car has a touch screen, but there are also physical knobs and buttons on the dash for climate control, sound, and a few other things that allow me to keep looking straight ahead.

"We found the [touch screen] system overall is quick and easy to use, but the potential for distraction is very real. The only physical controls in the cockpit—meaning those not in the touch-screen—are the shifter, turn signals, wiper, and hazard lights. Without physical buttons to feel for, you need to look away from the road to target the screen when wanting to make adjustments. And some functions require going two or three menu pages deep into the system."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...pad-thanks-to-leading-edge-interior/index.htm

You can't even turn on the lights without using the touch screen (although automatic lights mitigate this particular issue).

Edit: I just read an article about the Model III's steering wheel controls (CR didn't mention any on the Model S.) On the model III there are just two steering wheel buttons for navigating the touch screen. Most modern cars have more, like mine with dedicated up-down, left-right, enter, and "mode" for the computer, as well as phone answer-hang up, and full audio controls on the steering wheel despite being the most basic, cheapest model with zero options.

The article mentions Musk's desire for a "button-free" driving experience. It's slick looking, but unwise IMO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/m...es-future-driving-mean-button-free-dashboard/

Last edited:

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I wish consumer reports would generate a study where it shows the difference between stupid electronic issues and transmission and engine problems.
Aren't the details of those issues for each model still in the "annual auto issue?" IDK, I no longer subscribe, but have been using their rankings for decades. They have never steered me wrong.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
That survey is after initial ownership. Their reliability survey of what happens down the road tells a different story.

It's not the reliability survey, but people seem pretty happy with their cars, despite the "no longer recommended" tag.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...rts-automotive-satisfaction-survey/969301001/

Unlike Consumer Reports' widely-followed Reliability Survey, this study doesn't rank automakers based on quality or dependability.

Instead, it rates auto brands based on how they performed against car buyers' expectations in the 2015 through 2018 model years. It incorporates feedback on the driving experience, comfort, value, styling, audio and climate systems.

"Owner satisfaction is really a measurement of whether or not the car fulfilled on its promise," said Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing for Consumer Reports. "Did it disappoint you? Did you get more than you thought? Did you get less than you thought?"

Based on that gauge, Tesla came out on top.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yes, I meant my comment to be only about the Tesla. It's hopefully just growing pains.

As a "green" person, I applaud Tesla owners' benevolence toward the environment, and its styling is certainly more attractive than, say, the Nissan Leaf, but it doesn't seem logical to discount other owners' reliability experiences in favor of having the latest, most stylish thing.

My needs are different, but even if they made an all electric minivan, I don't know if I could get over "range anxiety."

There's also the matter of Tesla's driver distraction factor. With so many commonly used controls only available on its giant touch screen, one must take their eyes off the road too much IMO. My car has a touch screen, but there are also physical knobs and buttons on the dash for climate control, sound, and a few other things that allow me to keep looking straight ahead.

"We found the [touch screen] system overall is quick and easy to use, but the potential for distraction is very real. The only physical controls in the cockpit—meaning those not in the touch-screen—are the shifter, turn signals, wiper, and hazard lights. Without physical buttons to feel for, you need to look away from the road to target the screen when wanting to make adjustments. And some functions require going two or three menu pages deep into the system."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...pad-thanks-to-leading-edge-interior/index.htm

You can't even turn on the lights without using the touch screen (although automatic lights mitigate this particular issue).

Edit: I just read an article about the Model III's steering wheel controls (CR didn't mention any on the Model S.) On the model III there are just two steering wheel buttons for navigating the touch screen. Most modern cars have more, like mine with dedicated up-down, left-right, enter, and "mode" for the computer, as well as phone answer-hang up, and full audio controls on the steering wheel despite being the most basic, cheapest model with zero options.

The article mentions Musk's desire for a "button-free" driving experience. It's slick looking, but unwise IMO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/m...es-future-driving-mean-button-free-dashboard/
I agree you with. The push to fully touch screen cars makes zero sense to me. This is especially true for items that a driver has to control, such as lights, wipers, etc. I played around on a model S at a Tesla store, and I hated the touch screen interface. That alone would keep be from buying the car. But I guarantee that the addition of more and more touch screens in all cars will lead to more distraction accidents, hell a lot of people can't handle answering a flip phone without crashing.

Reactions: bradly1101

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I agree you with. The push to fully touch screen cars makes zero sense to me. This is especially true for items that a driver has to control, such as lights, wipers, etc. I played around on a model S at a Tesla store, and I hated the touch screen interface. That alone would keep be from buying the car. But I guarantee that the addition of more and more touch screens in all cars will lead to more distraction accidents, hell a lot of people can't handle answering a flip phone without crashing.
It may be a nod to our driverless future that Elon is anticipating. Until then we have accidents to avoid.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Aren’t the headlights and wipers auto?
I rented a car in September with auto wipers, that was the most annoying thing I've ever dealt with in a car. No matter what speed it picked was wrong, and changing the speed myself didn't do anything.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yea when he can't even fulfill the 3 yet. It's another product he will take pre-order money for because he always needs more money for his current vehicles he's having trouble fulfilling. That's why they announced the new Roadster and Big Rig.

Makes sense. They have a history of delivering, just...late. The Model S has been out since 2012 & the Model X has been out since 2015, so they do (eventually) ship vehicles out. Last I read, the backlog of Model 3's was over 450,000. I've already learned my lesson about buying first-generation vehicles, so I am more than happy to wait :D

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Ended up cancelling my reservation simply because my customer base is growing and a co-worker with a Tesla always has to carpool with me anytime we drive more than 200 miles round trip.

Badly want an electric car but I'll try again in 2021 when my next lease expires.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
With used Chevy Volt prices in the low teens, I don't see how Tesla Model 3 makes sense unless you're the type that has to have the latest and greatest but can't afford Model S. I would buy used Chevy Volt for like $13k and take the $30k savings and spoil myself.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Ended up cancelling my reservation simply because my customer base is growing and a co-worker with a Tesla always has to carpool with me anytime we drive more than 200 miles round trip.

Badly want an electric car but I'll try again in 2021 when my next lease expires.

You do realize that Tesla makes cars with different ranges right? What Model was your co-workers Tesla?

With used Chevy Volt prices in the low teens, I don't see how Tesla Model 3 makes sense unless you're the type that has to have the latest and greatest but can't afford Model S. I would buy used Chevy Volt for like $13k and take the $30k savings and spoil myself.

When ever you compare a used vehicle price versus a new vehicle price you will always have this disparity in cost.

Last edited: