Tesla Model III preorders have started

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
3s have to pay to use super chargers. That will keep the idiots away that use the super chargers as their personal charger like a lot of the free to charge S and X owners do. Well hopefully.

On the flip side, none of the new X or S cars come with free Supercharging anymore :(

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
3s have to pay to use super chargers. That will keep the idiots away that use the super chargers as their personal charger like a lot of the free to charge S and X owners do. Well hopefully.

ehhh i guess u missed it, but tesla now charges ur account .40 cents/min to be parked in that stall after your car is fully charged.

They say that the charge only applies if the stalls are busy, but im hearing from people that it applies 24/7, because people who report that the stalls were empty are saying they still got charged.

On the flip side, none of the new X or S cars come with free Supercharging anymore :(

if u order your car by 1/31 with a referral, u still get supercharging i believe.... Only on the S and X.
Well i that's what i was told by my seller when i went to order my S.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
ehhh i guess u missed it, but tesla now charges ur account .40 cents/min to be parked in that stall after your car is fully charged.

They say that the charge only applies if the stalls are busy, but im hearing from people that it applies 24/7, because people who report that the stalls were empty are saying they still got charged.

if u order your car by 1/31 with a referral, u still get supercharging i believe.... Only on the S and X.
Well i that's what i was told by my seller when i went to order my S.

Nice!! Now I just need to scrounge up $150k for a P100D X :D

That's a bummer, most of the stalls around me don't get highly used, so if you're shopping or whatever & it finishes charging, that would stink if it charged you a hundred bucks.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
meh... to be honest you really do not want to supercharge your car all the time... it kills the battery.
You really want to slow trickle charge the car, and i also heard u dont want to run the charge at 100% for months.

And yea, at the mall when your done charging u want to run down and move the car.
I believe u have like 10 min to move the car after its completely charged.

But your phone app will also let u know that the car is almost done charging, so it gives u a head ups to start running to your car and then looking for a chargepoint spot to idle in if you want to be a (insert mean word here) and hog up a charge spot because there is no regular parking spots available..

But hey, at least taking up a chargepoint spot in a tesla idling is better then a ICE car in that spot yes?

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017

You say that like it's a bad thing.

BTW the requirement is half the stalls in use, not all, and it can be half the stalls anytime while your car was idle, so you can come out and the car that made it equal half could be gone. I haven't really seen anyone complain when that it happened when they were all empty. If there were only 4 stalls. You plus one car equals half, and that one car could be gone when you come out...

Zero tolerance is the only way to recondition abusers. I remember laughing at one guy complaining how he was getting regularly dinged for these charges, which means he is exactly the kind of abuser, that they are trying to discourage. Some people are are just inconsiderate by nature and I have zero sympathy when they get bitten by a system, that was forced into being precisely to stop their inconsiderate behavior. It isn't like charging a Tesla is some random event that you have no clue when will finish, and have no way to monitor. It is very easy to monitor, and plan for.

These are not parking spots, they are fueling spots.

Would you leave your car at a gas pump and go eat lunch after you were done fueling?

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Would you leave your car at a gas pump and go eat lunch after you were done fueling?

That was one of the things I really hated about driving my VW TDI. Unless you go to a truck stop most regular gas station that have diesel only had one pump that is also shared with a gas pump. You really notice how inconsiderate people are when you only have 1 pump option. So I guess the answer to your question for a decent amount of people is YES they would :).

Last edited:

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I got my Model 3 about 3 weeks ago. It's an amazing car - it drives like a sportscar, looks like a Tesla on the outside and looks like the future on the inside. The display takes a little getting used to but it took me less than a day before I knew where to look and it's not that distracting using the screen once you get used to and know where things are but it does take some time to get familar with it. And using the phone as a key works fine but also takes a bit of getting used to. Controlling climate and charging from the phone has worked well and is handy on the recent cold weather days we've been having. The handles work great but almost everyone who doesn't know how they work is a little stumped by them. Autopilot on it works well and makes stop and go traffic a lot less aggravating. I have been getting pretty close to the advertised range - I've been driving at ~220-270Wh/mile which pretty much matches the expected range when you do the math. It has a few problems - I've hit a few bugs and I wish the heater got a bit hotter, but the car is overall totally amazing. It's certainly very fun to drive and is notably faster in real life than Tesla's specifications.

As far as supercharging, I don't plan on using it much except for long trips. My employer has a charger and the price per kWh from them is one third what Tesla superchargers levy here in Colorado and I charge every night at home for almost half the supercharger price and 310 miles range is a reasonable amount of distance. At work I can charge from empty to almost full in 6 hours for ~$2.50, at home in about 12 hours for ~$6, and a supercharger in about an hour for ~$9.75 not counting minor efficiency losses.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
As far as supercharging, I don't plan on using it much except for long trips. My employer has a charger and the price per kWh from them is one third what Tesla superchargers levy here in Colorado and I charge every night at home for almost half the supercharger price and 310 miles range is a reasonable amount of distance. At work I can charge from empty to almost full in 6 hours for ~$2.50, at home in about 12 hours for ~$6, and a supercharger in about an hour for ~$9.75 not counting minor efficiency losses.

Dang, even with gas prices as low as they are now, it still costs me over $30 just to gas up my Jeep. Even ten bucks for supercharging sounds amazing!

pm

Jan 25, 2000
Congrats on your model 3!

Edmunds took theirs to the track and were impressed with the handling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4icQIuldZU

Thanks! It's been fun being one of the first - especially since I've had zero problems since I bought it. I am completely impressed by how well it handles too. My father had a Porsche and - note that I am no car expert - but I feel like it drives like his Porsche. It's got that sportcar sort of suspension, very tight steering and corners really well and then it's got amazing acceleration - Tesla says 0-60mph in 5.2s, but my friend and I measured 4.9s with a smartphone stopwatch and the speedometer, and Motortrend clocked it at 4.7s.

For what it's worth, I wrote up a big piece for another discussion group and it has photos of my car and my thoughts on it.
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/my-model-3-experience-so-far.5885/

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
Congrats! The wife and I went and took a look at one in the store this past weekend. Your quote from the other post matched our experience.
"it looks even better in person than in video"

Enjoy!

edit: oh, and I admit to almost walking away from a running rental car on a couple of occasions. You really do get programmed to park and walk.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
just dont be like this idiot and total your car please!
The model 3 is a beautiful car, and should survive to at least 100k miles... and not 400 miles.
It was stated he hit a stationary object (probably a parked car) going 60mph.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/7xljux/totaled_my_model_3/

l3ghhs1dz8g01.jpg

pm

Jan 25, 2000
I liked this one a bit better - it was the one that played next after yours, bigi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4WuWMAWBQ

They come up with more believable - to me anyway - numbers of 280HP and 552ft/lb of torque.

It feels fast. It's a really great car. I'll take it to the Bandimere Speedway outside of Denver in April when the track opens and will post the numbers if anyone is curious.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
My only wish for the 3 is that it had a HUD. Seems like it would fit the 'future' idea. I haven't driven one so I can't complain though.

pm

Jan 25, 2000
My only wish for the 3 is that it had a HUD. Seems like it would fit the 'future' idea. I haven't driven one so I can't complain though.
Yeah, I wish it had a HUD too. The rest of the car feels like it's from the future, it feels like a HUD would fit the vibe really well. You do get used to looking at the screen for your speed super quickly... I think within a day for me, but yeah, I wish it had a HUD.

Actually the only thing that I can't get used to is pulling up and getting out to turn of the car. It feels like I'm missing a few steps. But you don't even need to put it in "park". You can just open the drivers side door and get out and the car shuts off and then it locks and applies the emergency brake as you walk away.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah, I wish it had a HUD too. The rest of the car feels like it's from the future, it feels like a HUD would fit the vibe really well. You do get used to looking at the screen for your speed super quickly... I think within a day for me, but yeah, I wish it had a HUD.

They should really offer the HUD as at least an optional item imo. My buddy just got a Buick (of all cars) with the HUD built-in & it's pretty freakin' awesome!

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
No battery throttling was observed. This only indicates massive improvement in battery pack technology. I think that cell change that addresses old type limitations helps here a lot.

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
I need suggestion on color. Every family member has different desired color. Ya, first world problem :)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Don't like some of the reports on build quality issues. Those issues should not be present on any new car, let alone something that isn't really "cheap".

Hopefully they are implementing fixes for them.