Tesla Model III preorders have started

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
You do realize that Tesla makes cars with different ranges right? What Model was your co-workers Tesla?

Of course I do. I was planning on purchasing the Model 3 with extended battery for a 300 mile range, however, living in Minnesota the use of the heater will drain battery life as well. I have customers that are 100, 200, even 250 miles away. Electric just isn't a good fit yet but it will be in a few more years.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
With used Chevy Volt prices in the low teens, I don't see how Tesla Model 3 makes sense unless you're the type that has to have the latest and greatest but can't afford Model S. I would buy used Chevy Volt for like $13k and take the $30k savings and spoil myself.
Make sure you get the right generation; the early ones had an annoying problem that Chrysler Pacifica owners are experiencing. I have no idea how the Prius is immune.

"I just moved from Arkansas to Minneapolis, and it's now apparent to me why some northerners are annoyed by ERDTT. So I decided 'what the heck', I'll let the car run out of gas and see if it's an effective hack to ERDTT. Sure enough is. The car seems to actually turn the engine off before it completely runs out of gas, probably to prevent potential damage to fuel pump, injectors, etc.

Anyway, the car stays in 'reduced propulsion mode' the entire time (running on battery of course), however it's really not a big deal as it's consistent. It seems like it just attenuates the throttle input by about 20%, but if you floor it you still get plenty of go (though not as much as normal).

For as long as the car knew it was super-low on gas, it never attempted to fire up ERDTT at the magic 25 degree point. 25 degrees just came and went without a hitch. And, not surprisingly, the onboard electric heater was plenty powerful to keep the cabin warm on it's own, even at 0 degrees outside.

I finally cracked yesterday and put gas in the car, since we've got -10 and lower temps coming soon and I didn't want to push my luck. The gas station I went to was out of premium, which I only discovered after opening the gas cap. When I got back in and powered up, the car fired up the engine even though I had 95% charge -- presumably to check and make sure engine was operating as expected. It ran for about 60 seconds while I drove to the next station, then turned off again telling me the engine was unavailable and to add fuel. Point being -- the car actually stops running the engine shortly before it runs completely out of gas. I inadvertently discovered this, but is interesting to know as it means there is less likelihood that running out of gas will cause damage to the engine since it stops running before it actually runs dry.

Anyway, as if to state the obvious, running out of gas was an effective way to prevent ERDTT and worked for me for the past few weeks since I didn't have any drives that were beyond battery range."

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-219010.html

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?127761-ERDTT-Modification-Options

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?89090-What-the-heck-is-ERDTT

Edit: Volt and Pacifica owners are also irritated with the gas engine coming on to refresh the gas (burn it off before it becomes stale), and the engine running to maintain certain temps. for auxiliary batteries. Both can happen unknowingly in a closed garage, great if you wanna get high.

Edit2: running the gas almost dry is an effective hack here too.

Again, I don't know how the Prius is immune.

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Make sure you get the right generation; the early ones had an annoying problem that Chrysler Pacifica owners are experiencing. I have no idea how the Prius is immune.

"I just moved from Arkansas to Minneapolis, and it's now apparent to me why some northerners are annoyed by ERDTT. So I decided 'what the heck', I'll let the car run out of gas and see if it's an effective hack to ERDTT. Sure enough is. The car seems to actually turn the engine off before it completely runs out of gas, probably to prevent potential damage to fuel pump, injectors, etc.

Anyway, the car stays in 'reduced propulsion mode' the entire time (running on battery of course), however it's really not a big deal as it's consistent. It seems like it just attenuates the throttle input by about 20%, but if you floor it you still get plenty of go (though not as much as normal).

For as long as the car knew it was super-low on gas, it never attempted to fire up ERDTT at the magic 25 degree point. 25 degrees just came and went without a hitch. And, not surprisingly, the onboard electric heater was plenty powerful to keep the cabin warm on it's own, even at 0 degrees outside.

I finally cracked yesterday and put gas in the car, since we've got -10 and lower temps coming soon and I didn't want to push my luck. The gas station I went to was out of premium, which I only discovered after opening the gas cap. When I got back in and powered up, the car fired up the engine even though I had 95% charge -- presumably to check and make sure engine was operating as expected. It ran for about 60 seconds while I drove to the next station, then turned off again telling me the engine was unavailable and to add fuel. Point being -- the car actually stops running the engine shortly before it runs completely out of gas. I inadvertently discovered this, but is interesting to know as it means there is less likelihood that running out of gas will cause damage to the engine since it stops running before it actually runs dry.

Anyway, as if to state the obvious, running out of gas was an effective way to prevent ERDTT and worked for me for the past few weeks since I didn't have any drives that were beyond battery range."

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-219010.html

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?127761-ERDTT-Modification-Options

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?89090-What-the-heck-is-ERDTT

Its 15 degrees not 25. now its a "problem" when the car behaves as designed??

the Prius is immune because it only goes a small distance at low speeds under electric only. 99% of your drives will run the engine no matter the temperature.

the plug in Prius is similar, just goes a bit further and faster on electric only.

it would take an enourmous amount of energy to heat up the cabin of a pacifica.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Its 15 degrees not 25. now its a "problem" when the car behaves as designed??

the Prius is immune because it only goes a small distance at low speeds under electric only. 99% of your drives will run the engine no matter the temperature.

the plug in Prius is similar, just goes a bit further and faster on electric only.

it would take an enourmous amount of energy to heat up the cabin of a pacifica.
Sorry, I added an edit right after your reply.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I hate disinformation.

The volt will not run the engine in your garage as long as you are not stupid enough to leave it on. Battery drains and the gas engine starts to maintain the car in the on state, as designed.

Just like any other car with a gas engine. That's why they now annoyingly honk at you 3 times if you leave them on and get out of the car. There are enough dumb people that left them on in their garage.

Engine maintenance mode only happens if the car is on as well.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I hate disinformation.

The volt will not run the engine in your garage as long as you are not stupid enough to leave it on. Battery drains and the gas engine starts to maintain the car in the on state, as designed.

Just like any other car with a gas engine. That's why they now annoyingly honk at you 3 times if you leave them on and get out of the car. There are enough dumb people that left them on in their garage.

Engine maintenance mode only happens if the car is on as well.
I looked deeper into the threads I saw. Thanks, you're correct, it appears that drivers were not shutting the car off. How three honks doesn't get noticed I'll never know, and chevy issued a SW recall to make the earlier ones shut off automatically after 1.5 hrs. Interesting issues in these plug-in hybrids. I know the Prius engine runs a lot in comparison, and uses electric mainly for the most fuel draining part of a drive, accelerating from a standstill/slow speed. I don't know which I'd prefer.

I feel sad for those dealing with stuff like this:

http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...s/27418-hybrid-caution-3-tows-2500-miles.html

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i'm not sure what the goal is, telling all these false stories about the plugin cars...

anyway, i'm not sure FCA products are a good indicator of quality in a category of vehicle.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
i'm not sure what the goal is, telling all these false stories about the plugin cars...

Some people are just militantly against EVs. Who knows why? Too much Fox News?

EVs are clearly where the whole automotive industry is going, and they naysayers really can't do anything to stop it.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

EVs are clearly where the whole automotive industry is going, and they naysayers really can't do anything to stop it.

Eh. seems more generational then political. I work in the oil industry and have solar on our house and a plug in. The guy down the road drives an suv and is a huge anti oil protester / signs in his overgrown yard / bumper stickers / etc and thinks im a shill for the oil industry / wants to give the the worlds population cancer / and am not welcome in our town.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Of course I do. I was planning on purchasing the Model 3 with extended battery for a 300 mile range, however, living in Minnesota the use of the heater will drain battery life as well. I have customers that are 100, 200, even 250 miles away. Electric just isn't a good fit yet but it will be in a few more years.

If you are planning on having to do round distances of 200+ miles without wanting to re-charge in a Minnesota winter why would even consider a EV at this point?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Somepeople just like repeating FUD.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
If you are planning on having to do round distances of 200+ miles without wanting to re-charge in a Minnesota winter why would even consider a EV at this point?

First I get shit on for saying an EV no longer fits my work life and now I get shit on for ever considering it in the first place.

Well done. Gold star.

Reactions: Ichinisan

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Ended up cancelling my reservation simply because my customer base is growing and a co-worker with a Tesla always has to carpool with me anytime we drive more than 200 miles round trip.

Badly want an electric car but I'll try again in 2021 when my next lease expires.

Probably a good call, because by then (1) the kinks in the Model 3 should be worked out, and (2) full self-driving should work pretty awesome.

The Roadster 2.0 is coming out in just 2 years (2020) & has an advertised range of 620 miles...I'm curious when that battery pack is going to make it into the X/S lineup. It's a hard sell to buy either of those with the current battery packs being pretty much the same range as the "budget" Model 3, so I'm hoping we'll see that sooner rather than later. tbh a 500-mile battery would be the EV tipping point for me. Now to sell my wife we have to sell the house...:D

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
This weekend at the mall was hectic.

I went by the tesla showroom to finalize my purchase on my new model S.
The line into the showroom was literally almost 100 foot long, a lot of people who wanted to check out the brand new sparkly model 3. It seemed like 3 stores in California got floor samples to display.

The sales person also commented that its a 1 year wait list for the model 3 vs 2 months for my model S.

GG those of u guys that are lucky and ordered one early.
It seemed like a real pretty car when i saw it.

Reactions: Kaido

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
https://youtu.be/Z6p92TA8fHg

A review of the Model 3. You can see how much glare is on the big screen. It looks real bad. How you have to dig into menus for basically anything sucks bad while driving. Having to dig into menus to adjust the wipers is flat out dangerous and to change the cruise control distance as well. Those types of things need to have physical controls.

https://youtu.be/c4F6SNmRhU8

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well when you have auto pilot i think u can afford to look away for bits of time while ur navigating that mess of a UI.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
A review of the Model 3. You can see how much glare is on the big screen. It looks real bad. ...

The glare is there, but from camera angle located on very far right. Nobody will look at that screen from this position, unless it is a cop giving you a ticket.

There are about a dozen reviews of Model 3 now, and this has not been an outstanding complaint.

In terms of dedicated distance lever and so forth, I agree, this should be 2 levels down in the menu.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Tesla really needs to build more superchargers or increase their capacity. Every place near me has constant lines to use them and these are Model S and X!!! What the hell are they going to do when the Model 3 becomes even more mainstream and common on the roads. They are due for another huge infrastructure upgrade or this won't be sustainable.

Also, friend's model 3 is further delayed. His current car is falling apart and he doesn't want to buy a temporary junker to get by. Hurry up tesla! LOL.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
3s have to pay to use super chargers. That will keep the idiots away that use the super chargers as their personal charger like a lot of the free to charge S and X owners do. Well hopefully.