Tesla Cybertruck

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
$70k is starting to become the upper average price for vehicles these days. Everything from pickups to top trim muscle cars are in that range.

Dec 10, 2005
$70k is starting to become the upper average price for vehicles these days. Everything from pickups to top trim muscle cars are in that range.
Maybe if you're using interquartile ranges. Average new car price from quick googling is around $47k. Probably more if you're looking at trucks only. But then average also doesn't mean so much, since there is a strict lower bound for cost, and there is no upper bound. I'd be curious to see what the median is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
@Kaido Pretty much nobody believes a single-motor CyberTruck will ever be made, so the $40k price point seems like pure fantasy at this point.

Not only can you not get a Standard Range+ Model Y (IIRC that started at around $42k), but they've even axed the RWD model. So just to step into a Model Y starts at $59k before taxes and fees.

Tesla seems to believe (and perhaps rightfully so) that there is such massive excess demand for their cars that they can raise prices without affecting sales. I question whether that is a viable long-term strategy for a company that aspires to sell 10M cars by 2030. There's a reason why luxury brands are a relatively small part of the auto market; new cars are expensive as it is and most consumers can't afford the luxury mark-up.
There are a lot of consumers like me that simply won't buy luxury cars or trucks. My current truck has hand crank windows and rubber floors. I spent money on drive train and suspension, not flashing lights and a Bluetooth washer fluid monitor.
A brodozer would have been twice the money and half the utility.

Mar 11, 2004
Silverado EV looks niiiiice:

Its basically a modern Avalanche, which I've been wanting a a pickup/SUV that could offer that capability again and was hopeful we'd see it with electric trucks. The lower fascia's a little meh, and I wish the upward notch on the d pillar extended up all the way to the top edge of the side window glass, but other than that, I like the design, more than the bland squared off styling that's become so en vogue in the industry. I think I even like its light bar the best of these electric pickups, although I do want to know whoTF decided all electric pickups need milk mustaches. I do have one gripe though, and I think the ability to configure the rear seat and bed area exacerbates it, and that's wanting 3 front seats (be it bench or other).

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I still dig it but less compared to what had been shown. The proportions have changed and I find it important with triangles.
It is smaller. Let's wait until tomorrow for official specs during their earnings call.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Even as a Tesla shareholder, I will honestly say that this is still a godawful looking truck. Has been and forever will be.

What kind of Tesla branded glasses have you guys been wearing to view this thing?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Even as a Tesla shareholder, I will honestly say that this is still a godawful looking truck. Has been and forever will be.

What kind of Tesla branded glasses have you guys been wearing to view this thing?

Sure, it's ugly. Who cares?

It takes away one of the major Tesla weaknesses (paint and body quality) and replaces it with something that should be far more durable.

At the time of launch it had a range that was unbeatable, access to the supercharger network, and most of the utility of a truck (at least what the majority of people will actually use). Some of these have been diminished with time, between competitors with 400 mile range vehicles and the inevitable expansion of CCS charging (even at superchargers now) but for its time it was a significant outlier.

Combine all of this with an absurdly cheap price at the launch and you wonder why it's popular?

Viper GTS

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Rivian just announced a 20% price increase across the board, including reservation holders.

It's around $15k bump for most models.

People are looking to cancel in very high numbers. Not a great look for a brand already sort of stumbling to get production ramped up.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Rivian just announced a 20% price increase across the board, including reservation holders.

People are looking to cancel in very high numbers. Not a great look for a brand already sort of stumbling to get production ramped up.

My pre-order went from $81,375 to $96,850.

I get why people are pissed, but I'm not particularly upset. The market for pre-order resales and Lightning/Silverado pricing made it clear that Rivian was underpriced. It seems likely that Cybertruck nuked their original pricing model, then the world got turned upside down and here we are.

All of the doom from the pissed off pre-order holders though IMO won't come to pass. All the rich folks who didn't want to wait 2 years and don't care about the $20k delta will line right up to buy the most performant and capable EV truck on the market.

I'm leaning towards cancellation since the new prices make holding my spot less critical. May as well watch their scaling woes/business development with my $1000 in my own hands and then re-order later.

Viper GTS

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Add taxes are you're over 100k. That product better last 20+ years to justify that cost, heck I'd want it to last my life time. You can buy a house for that price. They really need to figure out a way to bring down the cost of batteries. I presume that is the main cost factor.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Add taxes are you're over 100k. That product better last 20+ years to justify that cost, heck I'd want it to last my life time. You can buy a house for that price. They really need to figure out a way to bring down the cost of batteries. I presume that is the main cost factor.
Tell me where you can buy a house for 100k and I am moving there. You are right though, prices for electric vehicles are insane.

Nov 20, 2009
Gubbermint Motors & Furd pricing will just get folks to look elsewhere. Rivian isn't a real player yet, and probably won't be.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Well, I really did not expect this but:

Hello Everyone,

Earlier this week, we announced pricing increases that broke the trust we have worked to build with you. Since originally setting our pricing structure, and most especially in recent months, a lot has changed. The costs of the components and materials that go into building our vehicles have risen considerably. Everything from semiconductors to sheet metal to seats has become more expensive and with this we have seen average new vehicle pricing across the U.S. rise more than 30% since 2018. Given our build lead up times, we need to plan production costs not only for today, but also for the future.

As we worked to update pricing to reflect these cost increases, we wrongly decided to make these changes apply to all future deliveries, including pre-existing configured preorders. We failed to appreciate how you viewed your configuration as price locked, and we wrongly assumed the announced Dual-Motor and Standard battery pack would provide configurations that would deliver price points similar to your original configuration. While this was the logic, it was wrong and we broke your trust in Rivian.

We also didn’t manage communications well. We didn’t give you enough insight into what was driving these decisions. The most important aspect of what we are building is our relationship with all of you. As we demonstrated earlier this week, trust is hard to build and easy to break. In speaking with many of you over the last two days, I fully realize and acknowledge how upset many of you felt. I have made a lot of mistakes since starting Rivian more than 12 years ago, but this one has been the most painful. I am truly sorry and committed to rebuilding your trust.

One of the things we talk about a lot internally is that we will make mistakes – it’s part of building something complex. The key is to learn from them and address them when they are made. It is how we grow. We made a mistake in how we approached our pricing changes, and what is important now is that we fix it.

For anyone with a Rivian preorder as of the March 1 pricing announcement, your original configured price will be honored. If you canceled your preorder on or after March 1 and would like to reinstate it, we will restore your original configuration, pricing and delivery timing. Our team will be sending an email in the next few days with more details.

Regarding our updated pricing for future preorders, the introduction of our Dual-Motor configuration and Standard battery pack has been designed to enable us to maintain lower starting prices while adjusting the pricing of the Quad-Motor and larger battery packs to reflect rising costs. Building a durable business is core to the continued impact we can deliver as a company. We are focused on building a brand and products that will continue to scale to different vehicle sizes, use cases, price points and markets – this growth will only be possible with your support and continued feedback.

Thank you for the personal notes and discussions I had with so many of you. Your feedback makes us better.

RJ​

I kind of wish I had switched over to an R1S prior to the price change announcement, I was leaning towards Lightning + R1S as being the end goal daily driver setup. At more than $15k under the new MSRP I am going to be obligated to buy the R1T.

Viper GTS

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

I see a price like that and my old school rule book immediately says "If you are buying a 70K truck then your income should be at least 210K"

Reactions: mrblotto

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Rivian has retracted this stupidity. It will cost them ~1,000,000,000 regardless.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

I was going to say the huge price hike fixed their production ramp problem, but today they've just screwed themselves again. If the launch price sheet is pre-pandemic, then they desperately needed some adjustments just to keep up with inflationary pressures. Maybe 20% was too much to do all at once, but every automaker adjusts prices annually.

Perhaps the right thing to do would have been to guarantee original pricing for all vehicles shipped in 2022, but their run rate is so low right now that wouldn't have made customers put down their pitchforks. No easy solution for them, really. Taking advantage of industry supply shortages, Tesla raised prices quite substantially in 2021 and significantly boosted their profitability.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Its basically a modern Avalanche, which I've been wanting a a pickup/SUV that could offer that capability again and was hopeful we'd see it with electric trucks. The lower fascia's a little meh, and I wish the upward notch on the d pillar extended up all the way to the top edge of the side window glass, but other than that, I like the design, more than the bland squared off styling that's become so en vogue in the industry. I think I even like its light bar the best of these electric pickups, although I do want to know whoTF decided all electric pickups need milk mustaches. I do have one gripe though, and I think the ability to configure the rear seat and bed area exacerbates it, and that's wanting 3 front seats (be it bench or other).
Having owned a 2008 Avalanche (when they did the re-design), I'd honestly be too worried this first gen would blow up/burn down my house.