Tesla Cybertruck

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I have a feeling that the wiper solution is going to be as complex as the falcon doors or pop-out door handles and just as reliable.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Cybertruck still doesn't have a ship date on their web site. It's not looking good for 2022.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Cybertruck still doesn't have a ship date on their web site. It's not looking good for 2022.

I definitely don't want to be in the first batch to receive a Cybertruck lol. I'm just planning on Christmas 2023 at this point, IF that, because Tesla had to pull a Stockholm syndrome on me...it was so ugly & I was so shocked at its appearance that I didn't jump on it right away, so when I did put my pre-order cash down a few days later & started to kinda-sorta like it, I'm like number zillion in line now lol.

I think if Tesla can really hit the $39k price point for a base-model vehicle, they're going to have a winner on their hands, because most people buy trucks because they think they're cool, rather than for actually hauling stuff, and imo the Cybertruck is pretty dang awesome-looking (that's the Stockholm syndrome kicking in lol). imo Musk is waiting for (1) all of the new features on other trucks to be announced, and (2) working on integrating the battery into the structure to get a substantial range boost over everyone else, so that they have a clear leader when their truck comes out.

1641753426506.png

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
@Kaido Pretty much nobody believes a single-motor CyberTruck will ever be made, so the $40k price point seems like pure fantasy at this point.

Not only can you not get a Standard Range+ Model Y (IIRC that started at around $42k), but they've even axed the RWD model. So just to step into a Model Y starts at $59k before taxes and fees.

Tesla seems to believe (and perhaps rightfully so) that there is such massive excess demand for their cars that they can raise prices without affecting sales. I question whether that is a viable long-term strategy for a company that aspires to sell 10M cars by 2030. There's a reason why luxury brands are a relatively small part of the auto market; new cars are expensive as it is and most consumers can't afford the luxury mark-up.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
@Kaido Pretty much nobody believes a single-motor CyberTruck will ever be made, so the $40k price point seems like pure fantasy at this point.

Not only can you not get a Standard Range+ Model Y (IIRC that started at around $42k), but they've even axed the RWD model. So just to step into a Model Y starts at $59k before taxes and fees.

Tesla seems to believe (and perhaps rightfully so) that there is such massive excess demand for their cars that they can raise prices without affecting sales. I question whether that is a viable long-term strategy for a company that aspires to sell 10M cars by 2030. There's a reason why luxury brands are a relatively small part of the auto market; new cars are expensive as it is and most consumers can't afford the luxury mark-up.

Yeah... the $40,000 Cybertruck is likely to be an even bigger fantasy than the $35,000 Model 3 was.

Reactions: DooKey

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Silverado EV looks niiiiice:

I'm tempted to put a reservation in on a Lightning and Silverado EV and see which of the three I can actually get in a reasonable time frame. If by 2023, Superchargers are open to everyone, that pretty much eliminates the reason I would only look at Tesla.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Yeah, I wonder what the lifecycle of a $60k vehicle is, as far as how long it will take before the pool of people with the budget to afford that machine ($60k base = $1,000/mo+ with zero down payment on a 5-year loan, which is what apartments go for these days around here lol) run out. And it's not like they're a high-volume automaker...the total 2021 yield from Tesla was just under a million vehicles, which is what Ford sells solely in F-150's lol:

I'm curious about the long-term viability of Tesla's volume as well, based on the competition now too...for trucks, there's the Hummer, F-150, Rivian, and Silverado, and for cars, there's a ton of them, including the very nice Mach-E, which imo is the best EV available (after having test-driven it myself!). Like, they're raising the price of FSD to $12,000, and you can almost buy a brand-new Chevy Spark for that price lol:

Will FSD really pan out in the next say, 5 years? I'm curious to see how good it is by the time the Cybertruck drops. I'm just planning on 2 more years at this point tbh, at least between my place in line & waiting for the first generation of trucks to get out there, have bugs, and get fixed lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm tempted to put a reservation in on a Lightning and Silverado EV and see which of the three I can actually get in a reasonable time frame. If by 2023, Superchargers are open to everyone, that pretty much eliminates the reason I would only look at Tesla.

imo opening up Superchargers is such a bad idea. All of the Superchargers in my area are constantly filled with Tesla vehicles as it is. I suppose Tesla could generate cash like a gas station from charging, but at a lot of charges, they didn't build out any kind of convenience store or restaurant theme around them, so you have to walk to the nearest bathroom or food shop in some cases. Seems like a prime opportunity to go the McDonalds route, which has $30 billion in real estate assets lol.

I thought about reserving the F-150, as it's monstrously feature-loaded, but I'm really in it for the 500+ mile battery, not the truck aspect, which is just a bonus lol. I'll have my current ICE vehicle paid off this year & can roll that payment in my budget over to the next vehicle, so the Cybertruck will be great for winter. No more winters with RWD for me! hahaha.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah... the $40,000 Cybertruck is likely to be an even bigger fantasy than the $35,000 Model 3 was.

It's too bad, because if they could do it, I guarantee it would sell like gangbusters. My wife does her car & I do mine & even she was interested in it, as so many trucks are $50, $60, $70k+ these days & she could throw all of her photography equipment in the back & not have to deal with gas anymore lol. We were originally interested in the MY, but I just handed my reservation off to a friend (they were forcing everyone into ordering by December 2nd), so he was able save nearly $12,000 on his order due to locking the original price in (that was his Christmas present from me LOL).

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I have to wonder what Elon's definition of "open to everyone" will be. I'd imagine that he'll want to charge something like double the standard charge rate for non Tesla customers.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I have to wonder what Elon's definition of "open to everyone" will be. I'd imagine that he'll want to charge something like double the standard charge rate for non Tesla customers.

For the couple days a year that most people would need them that's probably fine. I believe the first few locations that are getting CCS are expansions, not conversions/reducing the number of Tesla stalls. If they do that then I see no real reason for them to charge more than the normal rates (which are already quite high vs what people should be paying at home if they've optimized it).

Viper GTS

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

I mean:

1. He bought Tesla with his Paypal money
2. He spent over a decade developing the car company, including the Supercharging technology
3. He bought the real estate & installed the chargers to create an infrastructure for his customers

On one hand, I like the idea of sharing for multiple reasons, including because it's better for the environment (re: the millions of types of different USB charging cables for phones available haha) & because it will speed up the adoption of EV's, which will be better for the whole human-breathing thing. On the other hand, many charging locations are already fully packed allllll the time, and current orders on things like MY's are already pushed out to June of this year, so there's a growing customer base. If I spent $60k+ on a Tesla & showed up to a Supercharging location filled wither other brands of cars, well, that would be pretty disappointing lol.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
As long as they only expand and don't convert, and as long as Tesla doesn't convert to use CCS like they have in some markets this should not be an issue.

Viper GTS

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's too bad, because if they could do it, I guarantee it would sell like gangbusters. My wife does her car & I do mine & even she was interested in it, as so many trucks are $50, $60, $70k+ these days & she could throw all of her photography equipment in the back & not have to deal with gas anymore lol. We were originally interested in the MY, but I just handed my reservation off to a friend (they were forcing everyone into ordering by December 2nd), so he was able save nearly $12,000 on his order due to locking the original price in (that was his Christmas present from me LOL).
The average new pick-up truck now sells for about $50k (all cars and light trucks, about $40k). I was very surprised when CyberTruck was announced with a single-motor model for $40k because this is incredibly aggressive. Honestly, I don't think they actually need to have a $40k CT to be successful. Also, the base price matters less than real-world prices. German luxury brands are well known for having a competitive base MSRP, but adding options quickly drives the price tag much higher.

A $50k CyberTruck will be price competitive in the full-size segment, as long as it delivers what buyers want. Average sale prices will be even higher, but it remains to be seen how greedy Tesla wants to go.

As I said earlier, if they ultimately want to be a volume manufacturer, they'll need a product mixture with lower entry prices. But for the next few years of ramp up, this doesn't appear to be an issue.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
The average new pick-up truck now sells for about $50k (all cars and light trucks, about $40k). I was very surprised when CyberTruck was announced with a single-motor model for $40k because this is incredibly aggressive. Honestly, I don't think they actually need to have a $40k CT to be successful. Also, the base price matters less than real-world prices. German luxury brands are well known for having a competitive base MSRP, but adding options quickly drives the price tag much higher.

A $50k CyberTruck will be price competitive in the full-size segment, as long as it delivers what buyers want. Average sale prices will be even higher, but it remains to be seen how greedy Tesla wants to go.

As I said earlier, if they ultimately want to be a volume manufacturer, they'll need a product mixture with lower entry prices. But for the next few years of ramp up, this doesn't appear to be an issue.

The fact that they advertised a 2.9-second Cybertruck tells me that the high-end model is going to be pretty dang pricey, considering that the 3.8-second Model X is over $100k!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I think that the popularity of the new Ford Maverick is proof that buyers are sick of paying $50,000+ for a pickup truck that's more vehicle than what they need.

I guess that I'll need to hold out for the Cybertruck Mini :)

Reactions: DooKey and Kaido

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The fact that they advertised a 2.9-second Cybertruck tells me that the high-end model is going to be pretty dang pricey, considering that the 3.8-second Model X is over $100k!
Mostly irrelevant because the Models S and X have turned into halo cars, or whatever you want to call low-volume vehicles for millionaires. I believe the CyberTruck will be competitively priced for full-sized pickups, but only time will tell.

I think that the popularity of the new Ford Maverick is proof that buyers are sick of paying $50,000+ for a pickup truck that's more vehicle than what they need.

I guess that I'll need to hold out for the Cybertruck Mini :)
How many Mavericks will be sold in 2022 vs. how many F-150s? If buyers are sick of paying $50k for pickup trucks, that hasn't turned up in industry sales figures.

Good luck to you, I personally would like to own a BEV before the year 2035. :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

He can do whatever he wants with it, you are not obligated to use it.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Mostly irrelevant because the Models S and X have turned into halo cars, or whatever you want to call low-volume vehicles for millionaires. I believe the CyberTruck will be competitively priced for full-sized pickups, but only time will tell.

How many Mavericks will be sold in 2022 vs. how many F-150s? If buyers are sick of paying $50k for pickup trucks, that hasn't turned up in industry sales figures.

Good luck to you, I personally would like to own a BEV before the year 2035. :p

Maverick sold just over 6K units in December with all Ford Pickups doing just over 75K units. That puts the Maverick at 8-9% the volume of the entire F-Series pickup lineup (150-350 and 450 non-cab&chassis models, 550/600/650/750 are chassis cab only). That’s really not bad for a truck that was available November and December, and enough of a number that Ford will still need to watch their ratios to not lose the best selling pickup crown due to leeching sales to the Maverick.

Nov 20, 2009
With the first Silverados being the +$100K price point I think the commoner will have to wait until they themselves get reincarnated.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
With the first Silverados being the +$100K price point I think the commoner will have to wait until they themselves get reincarnated.

Well I personally think 70 plus grand for an F150 is a lot but I certainly see them on the road pretty often.