Tesla Cybertruck

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Thats not what Wikipedia says. Wikipedia makes it sound that they are all in on Tesla tbh.

You know its OK to sometimes not agree with Elon, it doesn't mean the world is going to end or Tesla isn't going to be fine!
Hey friends, let's totally make up shit and blame zee Germans and the mainstream media! :tearsofjoy:
To be honest, I haven't read a single Electrek article in a very long time. The content itself wasn't bad, but the extreme bias was real and the editor-in-chief/top writer was clearly more shill than journalist. I'm fine finding my BEV news elsewhere.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Fred is kind of polarizing in Tesla community. Some like him, other don't. Personally, I don't like Fred so I don't really read Electrek. His motives are suspect, and I don't think he's a good person so I just avoid the site. Rob Maurer of Tesla Daily is the only one I follow and listen to daily. Love Rob and his Tesla Daily Youtube channel. I used to have to scan the internet for Tesla news everyday. Now, I just watch Tesla Daily Youtube video and Rob does excellent job recapping all the major Tesla and EV news for that day. Saves me so much time and hassle.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
They hit 1.2 million pre-orders for the Cybertruck:

That's just shy of $80 billion!

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

You mean a refundable $120M?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not for that price it wont. I can get 2 Cybertrucks at that price.

No kidding, what in the world is with that price? You can buy a pretty big 5th wheel camper for less money than that. Ex: https://timminsrv.com/en/showroom/unit/T1695

This is the most expensive one I was able to find on the site. Chances are with a budget over 100k you can get a decent motorhome.

That truck top box should not be more than like 25k at absolute max with every possible bell and whistle you can think of. No idea how they justify that insane price.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
You mean a refundable $120M?

tbh I think the F-150 Lightning is going to eat a lot of the EV truck marketshare due to how normal it looks, how well-priced it is, and the usable feature set. I have a pre-order in for a Cybertruck, but the Lightning is an awfully compelling vehicle!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Out of that 1.2 million, probably like 300k are probably serious orders and the rest are not so serious orders who will need some convincing. I think once the Cybertruck starts hitting the streets and people see it out in the wild, the demand will just snowball and the truck will sell itself and many of the not serious orders will convert to actual sales. Cybertruck is going to be awesome product and Elon has said not much has changed from the prototype reveal.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Out of that 1.2 million, probably like 300k are probably serious orders and the rest are not so serious orders who will need some convincing. I think once the Cybertruck starts hitting the streets and people see it out in the wild, the demand will just snowball and the truck will sell itself and many of the not serious orders will convert to actual sales. Cybertruck is going to be awesome product and Elon has said not much has changed from the prototype reveal.

I was literally SHOCKED at how ugly it was at the reveal lol. But it's grown on me & now I love it haha! But then again, I do have a penchant for ugly cars!

I'm curious what Elon is going to do to make the Cybertruck competitive to the F-150 Lightning. It has a pretty nice feature set:

Congrats! I gotta say, the more I learn about it, the more awesome it looks! Things I like about it over the Cybertruck:

1. It looks normal
2. House generator
3. Power ports
4. Huge frunk with drain & auto open/close via keyfob
5. Physical knob on the touchscreen. This is huge because I am human & need tactile controls lol.
6.Lie-flat laptop/snack tray in the middle
7. Normal steering wheel (vs. yoke) with lots of useful clicky buttons
8. Ventilated seats (might even have a massage option!)
9. Bed camera (plus bed scale)
10. Apparently the 300-mile top-end range is with a load, so (based on the video below) there's a possibility of just over 400 miles. Factoring in highway efficiency loss, winter, etc. that's a much nicer number to deal with
11. Really nice tailgate system
12. Flip-up back seat for covered storage
13. Awesome sunroof
14. Actual 4x4 system
15. BlueCruise system allows for actual hands-free driving (other roads feature hands-on lane-centering)
16. Actual dealership you can go to in order to get help & repairs

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I was literally SHOCKED at how ugly it was at the reveal lol. But it's grown on me & now I love it haha! But then again, I do have a penchant for ugly cars!

I'm curious what Elon is going to do to make the Cybertruck competitive to the F-150 Lightning. It has a pretty nice feature set:
I guess it depends on your preference. While I think F-150 Lightning has some nice features, it's really no match for the Cybertruck, IMO. To me, Cybertruck design is a major plus and one of the most attractive features. Stuff like stainless steel body and bulletproof super tough glass are just icing on the cake. And 3 seconds, 0-60 mph is just insane.

I want something new and exciting. Cybertruck is new and exciting. F-150 Lightning while cool is kind of boring for me. I get why people like F-150 Lightning but for me, it's not even on my radar as it doesn't really appeal to me. Likewise, I know lot of people don't like the Cybertruck. That's cool. It's good to have choices and people can buy what they like. It's Cybertruck or no truck for me.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'll be curious if the Cybertruck is actually good for doing "truck things" like hauling and towing stuff when it will be released.

I'd imagine that it will sell OK as a rich Tech Bro toy either way, but something tells me that the electric F-150 will be a better work/farm truck.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I think the F150 will have an edge when it comes to doing normal truck stuff as it's still designed as a truck and Ford's experience at making trucks. Simple things like bed dimensions being standard ones (I assume there are some standards) It will also have the advantage of having a dealer you can bring it to if there is an issue. I could see companies buying it but not the cybertruck just based on that. Tesla's after sales support is basically non existent unless you happen to live near a Tesla service centre.

One thing they really need to get right with EVs in general though is right to repair. Still a lot of horror stories, not only Tesla but even Toyota etc where they refuse to simply fix a battery pack or give you the parts or ability to do it but want you to replace the whole thing. Usually when there is an issue with the battery it's something minor.

Tesla is going to make this even harder with cells built right into the chassis. This is NOT the direction we should be going. Things need to be more modular and repairable. Especially at these prices. If I pay 80k+ for a truck I want to be able to keep it for decades and be able to fix and get parts for it. Even the F150 base model is around 80k. Most of the advertised prices were in USD but when you go on the Ford site you see the real price.

Reactions: ultimatebob

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah I think the F150 will have an edge when it comes to doing normal truck stuff as it's still designed as a truck and Ford's experience at making trucks. Simple things like bed dimensions being standard ones (I assume there are some standards) It will also have the advantage of having a dealer you can bring it to if there is an issue. I could see companies buying it but not the cybertruck just based on that. Tesla's after sales support is basically non existent unless you happen to live near a Tesla service centre.

One thing they really need to get right with EVs in general though is right to repair. Still a lot of horror stories, not only Tesla but even Toyota etc where they refuse to simply fix a battery pack or give you the parts or ability to do it but want you to replace the whole thing. Usually when there is an issue with the battery it's something minor.

Tesla is going to make this even harder with cells built right into the chassis. This is NOT the direction we should be going. Things need to be more modular and repairable. Especially at these prices. If I pay 80k+ for a truck I want to be able to keep it for decades and be able to fix and get parts for it. Even the F150 base model is around 80k. Most of the advertised prices were in USD but when you go on the Ford site you see the real price.

Yeah with the metal chassis with built-in batteries, what happens in a simple fender bender? $20k repair bill?!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'll be curious if the Cybertruck is actually good for doing "truck things" like hauling and towing stuff when it will be released.

I'd imagine that it will sell OK as a rich Tech Bro toy either way, but something tells me that the electric F-150 will be a better work/farm truck.

iirc towing cuts range 50%

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Slippage is happening.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another marketing ploy...they say next year & then the first units roll out to much fanfare in Q4 or something. With Tesla, everything is a moving target until it's actually shipped & in the customer's hands.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another marketing ploy...they say next year & then the first units roll out to much fanfare in Q4 or something. With Tesla, everything is a moving target until it's actually shipped & in the customer's hands.
I guess it's possible they lied about it in an earnings call but I think it's just that trucks are harder than Elon thought.

Last month during its second-quarter earnings call, Tesla’s VP of vehicle engineering Lars Moravy said the Cybertruck was “at a stage where we finished basic engineering of the architecture of the vehicle,” adding that it was “moving into the beta phases of Cybertruck later this year.”

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I guess it's possible they lied about it in an earnings call but I think it's just that trucks are harder than Elon thought.

I won't buy mine for the first 6 months, minimum. Let someone else work the bugs out of it lol. Maybe even a year. Although I think I'm pretty high up on the list so it may be possible that I won't even be able to get one until the second model year anyway lol.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I won't buy mine for the first 6 months, minimum. Let someone else work the bugs out of it lol. Maybe even a year. Although I think I'm pretty high up on the list so it may be possible that I won't even be able to get one until the second model year anyway lol.
Yeah, that's probably the safe way if you really want one.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm just looking forward to see ANY EV truck on the road at this point, it will be cool to see a CT in person because it's just so different, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how good the Ford F150 is. If I was buying new I would probably want to go with Ford. I find Tesla is too anti right to repair. Though I do worry the other auto makers become the same with EVs. Big battery packs are kind of a new concept and a liability because of the potential danger so they just don't want to treat it as a user servicable part - or even a technician servicable part. Hopefully this is something that changes with time and that they make them more repairable and are willing to actually do it or let 3rd parties do it. With an ICE they will go as far as disassembling the motor and changing parts in it, so why not the same with EV with the battery pack.

I have a hard time justifying the cost of a new truck though, the F150 comes up to around 80k for the base model. Hard to tell what it would come up to with the CT as it really depends on the exchange rate and whether or not there would be customs on that. So exchange rate, sales tax, customs, probably looking at almost doubling the advertised price.

As far as EVs go The Hyundai Kona Electric is actually attractive too and currently obtainable and starts at around 45k. I think if I bought new I would consider that, and just get a trailer for when I need to haul stuff. Just need to remember to be aware of towing capacity etc including weight of the actual trailer. Now that I bought off grid land maybe my next big purchase will be an EV. What's a credit line for if you don't use it right? :p What I'd probably do is once I paid off the credit line then I'd consider buying new and financing it. My house is almost already paid off anyway so the more I think about it, it's kind of within reach for me in the next 5 years or so to buy a new EV.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Slippage is happening.

I don't think that anyone really expected the Cybertruck to ship in volume in 2021... did they? Everyone knows by now that Elon's production estimates are always obscenely optimistic.

I don't think that they'll start shipping any serious quantities of these until late Q2/early Q3 of 2022. You'll see review models in early Q1, though, but you're not actually going to get one in Q1 unless you're Jay Leno or a close personal friend of Elon.