Tesla Cybertruck

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Next set of questions:

1. What's the procedure if the driver is incapacitated...no exterior door handles & bulletproof glass?
2. With the glass breaker, how do you effectively & quickly escape from inside of the car if the doors are wedged shut for some reason?

These are mostly outlier situations for the majority of people the majority of the time, but I've been in 4 accidents (been hit randomly all 4 times by other drivers), so I'm extra-paranoid about this stuff lol.

The glass is not bulletproof. Glassbreaker should handle it fine. Hell, if we go by the reveal, a rock should suffice.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The glass is not bulletproof. Glassbreaker should handle it fine..

Well, Musk did say (edit: allegedly) it was bulletproof:

Although on their website, they're now calling it Tesla Armor Glass: "ultra-strong glass and polymer-layered composite can absorb and redirect impact force for improved performance and damage tolerance."

These are the anxieties that keep me up at night lol.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Well, Musk did say it was bulletproof:

Although on their website, they're now calling it Tesla Armor Glass: "ultra-strong glass and polymer-layered composite can absorb and redirect impact force for improved performance and damage tolerance."

These are the anxieties that keep me up at night lol.

Yeah, well Elon says a lot of really dumb things. I don't recall him ever claiming the glass was bulletproof, only the body.

Reactions: Kaido

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Then you need to go back and watch the reveal! He hit the glass!!!!

Ok, please let me know the timestamp where he says the glass is bulletproof. I glanced over it. Only claim of bulletproof is about the body.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Then you need to go back and watch the reveal! He hit the glass!!!!

Historically, it looks like:

1. They developed Tesla Armor Glass for the Tesla Semi
2. They brought that technology to the Cybertruck
3. He refers to it as "transparent metal"

Some research into it:

There's the ALON stuff:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Ok, please let me know the timestamp where he says the glass is bulletproof. I glanced over it. Only claim of bulletproof is about the body.

This is an interesting point, I did some googling on it - my best guess is that Motor Trend got creative with what Musk said:

"Apparently, the Cybertruck may also have a bulletproof windshield. Tesla chief Elon Musk says the laminated windshield, which appears to be completely flat, will stop a 9mm round, as well. We tested its strength by dropping weighed metal spheres from various heights. It didn't break."

Teslarati also mentions it:

"Tesla rolled out several new patents related to the Cybertruck today, one of them being the “bulletproof” Armor Glass that CEO Elon Musk talked about on several occasions. The Cybertruck’s durability has been one of the vehicle’s most notorious features. The patent describes the multi-layered design that Tesla will use across several of its cars to prevent owners from spending big bucks on new windshields or windows after a scratch, crack or chip."

The only actual quote I've seen is Musk saying that the body "is literally bulletproof to a 9mm handgun", so as far as I can tell, it looks like the media conflated the truck & the body being bulletproof with the glass being bulletproof, then the general media ran with that. It looks like they originally announced the Armor Glass on the Tesla Semi & did some impact testing on it: (but not gun testing)

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Historically, it looks like:

1. They developed Tesla Armor Glass for the Tesla Semi
2. They brought that technology to the Cybertruck
3. He refers to it as "transparent metal"

Some research into it:

There's the ALON stuff:

So then both the body and glass of the Cybertruck is bulletproof? Looks like I have some reading to do!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So then both the body and glass of the Cybertruck is bulletproof? Looks like I have some reading to do!

I dunno...Musk said the metal body should stop a 9mm bullet, although some aftermarket armor companies are like ehhhhh. Digging into the PR history, I can't find any documented direct quote from Musk or Tesla that says the glass is also bulletproof.

Plus, the nature of bulletproof glass doesn't mean crack-proof, it means exactly what happened on stage...they had tested it out before the show, which wore it down, so then it shattered on stage, but didn't break, which is what it's designed to do...hold together! My concern is that if you have a glass-breaking tool in your car & you get in an accident where your doors are wedged & the windows don't work, how do you escape? Seems like a great coffin in that case! Again, I've been hit multiple times in car accidents, so I'm a little paranoid about this stuff lol.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I dunno...Musk said the metal body should stop a 9mm bullet, although some aftermarket armor companies are like ehhhhh. Digging into the PR history, I can't find any documented direct quote from Musk or Tesla that says the glass is also bulletproof.

Plus, the nature of bulletproof glass doesn't mean crack-proof, it means exactly what happened on stage...they had tested it out before the show, which wore it down, so then it shattered on stage, but didn't break, which is what it's designed to do...hold together! My concern is that if you have a glass-breaking tool in your car & you get in an accident where your doors are wedged & the windows don't work, how do you escape? Seems like a great coffin in that case! Again, I've been hit multiple times in car accidents, so I'm a little paranoid about this stuff lol.

a real tesla fan would say you will never crash because its self driving.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido and repoman0

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

This is utter nonsense, maybe if you throw the bullet at the body of the car. A thin sheet of stainless steel isn't going to stop a 9mm bullet any better than the thin sheet steel they make car bodies out of, a 9mm bullet would pass easily through a car door.

Shit, a cast iron skillet won't even stop a 9mm bullet fired from a handgun.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kaido and repoman0
Nov 20, 2009
I bought a pair of glass breakers and put one in each center console storage compartment, which do not need electricity to open.

Reactions: Kaido

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
This is utter nonsense, maybe if you throw the bullet at the body of the car. A thin sheet of stainless steel isn't going to stop a 9mm bullet any better than the thin sheet steel they make car bodies out of, a 9mm bullet would pass easily through a car door.

Shit, a cast iron skillet won't even stop a 9mm bullet fired from a handgun.

For what it's worth, cast iron is very brittle compared to most anything forged. Not to say that this vehicle would be able to prevent a bullet penetration, but it might be easier than you think. Not terrible example:
1) 158gr .38 special LRN @ standard velocity (Remington: 755 fps) = 2.43mm
2) 158gr .38 special FMJ @ standard velocity (Fiocchi: 960 fps) = 3.63mm
3) 110gr .38 special silvertip hollowpoint @ standard velocity (Winchester: 945 fps) = 2.62mm
4) 110gr .38 special bonded JHP @ standard velocity (Federal: 1000 fps) = 2.87mm
5) 115gr 9mm JHP @ standard velocity (Federal: 1160 fps) = 3.88mm
6) 115gr 9mm FMJ @ standard velocity (Winchester: 1190 fps) = 4.05mm

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah I'm not a fan of everything being electronic. The glove box, of all things, there is zero reason to make that electronic. And the doors, same thing. Should be manually operated. Electronics just for sake of it is a dumb thing. Also as much as the yoke does look cool it also does not look practical, especially for a truck. Ex: backing up a trailer and you have one hand on the wheel and you're looking behind. Going to be kind of tricky with the yoke.
Agreed. And the yoke is super dumb. It will cost them sales if they make it the only option. Fine with me, the less Elon makes the happier I am.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Agreed. And the yoke is super dumb. It will cost them sales if they make it the only option. Fine with me, the less Elon makes the happier I am.

I have a really hard time with it tbh. I like the idea of minimalism, but after test-driving the Mach-E, my opinion about Tesla really changed...creature comforts galore, a big knob in the middle of the touchscreen, dedicated buttons on the steering wheel, and felt like Car 2.0 Evolved rather than an electric sled on wheels. Still love Tesla, don't get me wrong, but physical design elements really speak to me, apparently! Plus as I've watched how I drive, I always have my hand on top of the wheel & use the top to turn, so if the Cybertruck is yoke-only, that would be a serious blow to me. Of course, I need to test-drive a Tesla with a yoke first before I make a decision.

I'm curious about how towing with a Cybertruck would be, especially doing the geometry maneuvers when backing up, while using a yoke...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have a really hard time with it tbh. I like the idea of minimalism, but after test-driving the Mach-E, my opinion about Tesla really changed...creature comforts galore, a big knob in the middle of the touchscreen, dedicated buttons on the steering wheel, and felt like Car 2.0 Evolved rather than an electric sled on wheels. Still love Tesla, don't get me wrong, but physical design elements really speak to me, apparently! Plus as I've watched how I drive, I always have my hand on top of the wheel & use the top to turn, so if the Cybertruck is yoke-only, that would be a serious blow to me. Of course, I need to test-drive a Tesla with a yoke first before I make a decision.

I'm curious about how towing with a Cybertruck would be, especially doing the geometry maneuvers when backing up, while using a yoke...
The yoke is good for high speed driving, it's simply not as good for anything at low speed - as per various driving blogs I read.

I don't mind a tech enabled car, but there is a way to remove too many analogue things just for the sake of looking futuristic. From what I understand with a Tesla you can turn the wipers on with a stick, but to set intermittent you need to touch the screen. If true, so so dumb

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The yoke is good for high speed driving, it's simply not as good for anything at low speed - as per various driving blogs I read.

I don't mind a tech enabled car, but there is a way to remove too many analogue things just for the sake of looking futuristic. From what I understand with a Tesla you can turn the wipers on with a stick, but to set intermittent you need to touch the screen. If true, so so dumb

You mean it's good when you don't need to turn? :cool:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You mean it's good when you don't need to turn? :cool:
lol yeah

I hope he makes the yoke the standard on all his cars like some blogs seemed to think and just refuses to let his giant man baby ego get out of the way.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Supposedly the Cybertruck final design is now locked-in & we're looking at a mid-2023 launch:

I'll tentatively update my expectations to Christmas 2024, but I'm still planning on 2025 for mine lol

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
wow, god help you if a cell or module fails. better stock up on solvent.

fyi model s repair example

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah really wish they would make these more serviceable. IMO each battery module should be separately accessible and use O rings like you'd have on an engine block or something. I get it's important to make these weather tight but there's better ways of going about it.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
good news: the whole battery pack can be recycled by tossing it into absolute zero tank where it will disintegrate into component elements floating at various depths due to buoyancy differences.

bad news: entirely un-serviceable by anyone.

the foam is for securing everything in place, not water protection. the aluminum and steel outer housing protects from the environment. apparently mechanical fasteners are for chumps and glue is way more reliable. it will be interesting to see how they are cooling the cells.