Tesla Cybertruck

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hope someone in my city bought one, I kinda do want to see one in person. Though TBH the F150 is the one I'm the most looking forward to, while the Cybertruck does have a cool vibe to it, if I was buying myself I rather have a dealership I can go to if there's issues. It's a pretty huge investment. Now that I bought some off grid land an EV truck is probably going to be my next big purchase that I will save up for.

Now that looks like something more in my price range lol.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I hope someone in my city bought one, I kinda do want to see one in person. Though TBH the F150 is the one I'm the most looking forward to, while the Cybertruck does have a cool vibe to it, if I was buying myself I rather have a dealership I can go to if there's issues. It's a pretty huge investment. Now that I bought some off grid land an EV truck is probably going to be my next big purchase that I will save up for.

I love weird cars & the Cybertruck is the weirdest of them all lol. Plus, 500-mile battery!

On a tangent, the Rivian is shipping & the Hummer EV starts shipping next month:

I'd imagine that the F-150 Lightning will come out before the Cybertruck as well. Pretty interesting that Tesla isn't hustling to ship first! I wonder if they're taking notes on what features are being released & then adjusting accordingly. They've already added rear-wheel steering to emulate the Crab-walk feature on the Hummer:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I love weird cars & the Cybertruck is the weirdest of them all lol. Plus, 500-mile battery!

On a tangent, the Rivian is shipping & the Hummer EV starts shipping next month:

I'd imagine that the F-150 Lightning will come out before the Cybertruck as well. Pretty interesting that Tesla isn't hustling to ship first! I wonder if they're taking notes on what features are being released & then adjusting accordingly. They've already added rear-wheel steering to emulate the Crab-walk feature on the Hummer:

Tesla has said they're limited by batteries. Tesla needs more batteries. 4680 should be ready for the Cybertruck by the end of 2022 if everything goes smoothly according to plan. But reality is new factory, new battery process, and new production method for the Cybertruck means delays are likely and should be expected. Tesla focus is on ramping up the Model Y at Austin, and they have repeatedly said it will take them about a year to ramp up Austin with the Model Y. After that, Tesla will focus their attention on the Cybertruck. None of this stuff is secret. Tesla said this is what they're going to do at Battery Day and they have repeated it at every earnings conference calls since.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tesla has said they're limited by batteries. Tesla needs more batteries. 4680 should be ready for the Cybertruck by the end of 2022 if everything goes smoothly according to plan. But reality is new factory, new battery process, and new production method for the Cybertruck means delays are likely and should be expected. Tesla focus is on ramping up the Model Y at Austin, and they have repeatedly said it will take them about a year to ramp up Austin with the Model Y. After that, Tesla will focus their attention on the Cybertruck. None of this stuff is secret. Tesla said this is what they're going to do at Battery Day and they have repeated it at every earnings conference calls since.

I have to order my Y by January or else I lose my deposit. Supposedly there's going to be a facelift, and then the new battery setup for the Y, so I'd rather wait until after that. The housing market here is dumb right now, so I didn't end up moving this year, and my current rental has no opportunities for a charging source (no garage available). Might have to eat it & just wait for the truck!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I do hope that as battery supply is less tight over the years, prices can also come down. I would imagine that is keeping prices higher as it's a simple supply/demand issue and right now the demand is higher than supply. Not just the batteries themselves but all the chemicals to make them.

An EV truck would be perfect for me now that I own off grid land, as it's an hour away so it cost a lot to go to it right now especially with a gas truck, but even if I got a gas car it would add up. I want to start doing more serious work on it starting next year so it will involve a lot of back and forth trips whenever I'm off for a few days. Probably invest in a decent trailer too for hauling supplies so I'd want something that has decent towing capacity. Looking forward to see how the F150 fairs out but also the Cybertruck. When both are out and within reasonable reach (ex: no need to preorder and wait years) then I may go either way really. Meanwhile I'll just keep accumulating money in my work ESP account. That's how I'll be paying for my off grid land. Just not taking it out all at once to avoid too big of a tax hit.

Reactions: Kaido

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

There are service centers and/or mobile service if you have a problem. Not sure where you live, but most cities have a least one center and the techs travel fairly far.

Nov 20, 2009
I just had an interesting thought. This is along the lines of the movie I, Robot. Wouldn't it be funny if a time comes and there are millions of Tesla vehicles on the toad, or at least the Cybertrucks and suddenly they became sentient?

• Haha

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I just had an interesting thought. This is along the lines of the movie I, Robot. Wouldn't it be funny if a time comes and there are millions of Tesla vehicles on the toad, or at least the Cybertrucks and suddenly they became sentient?

Well, isn't that one of Elon's biggest warnings. Luckily there isn't enough processing and cell bandwidth on the current hardware to pull it off. Don't even know if it's remotely possible if we turn every ounce of sand into transistors on earth.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Well, isn't that one of Elon's biggest warnings. Luckily there isn't enough processing and cell bandwidth on the current hardware to pull it off. Don't even know if it's remotely possible if we turn every ounce of sand into transistors on earth.

FWIW, the people in Big Data & AI I talk to all laugh about this. The systems that exist now are all house of cards masquerading as magic. It's all baloney lol.

But just in case...

1637984292800.png

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think Cybertruck is going to become the new Star Citizen.

Honestly, I think that I'm going to reserve the next vehicle that Tesla releases on announcement day so I have a chance to flip it to a Tesla fanboy for a profit.

As an added bonus, I get to complain here every week about my new vehicle being delayed for months after the original estimated ship date :)

I mean, this guy reserved 52 Cybertrucks, so I'd be in good company:

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yeah, I saw Elon's tweet. I reserved the 3 motor version and am about 40k in line. But if upgrading to 4 motor variant allows me to get it faster, I'll probably do that depending on the tax credit situation.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I will also probably go with the 4 motor variant if it's not a crazy amount more than the 3. Right now, the 3 motor was projected to have 500+ mile range and 1000hp, but I wonder if those numbers will decrease or if the extra motor will add another 250 hp in exchange for some range. I guess I still have 2 years to wait and see at this rate, if not longer. By then our Y will truly be at the end of it's factory warranty.

Nov 20, 2009
Originally I was disgusted by the look of the Cybertruck when it was first shown. I said to myself, "Who is going to buy such an ugly beast?" Then recently I remembered that Chevy sold a lot of Avalanches to rednecks and realized there you go. Now I'm considering putting a reservation down on one and see if I'd get it, or the vette, sooner.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally I was disgusted by the look of the Cybertruck when it was first shown. I said to myself, "Who is going to buy such an ugly beast?" Then recently I remembered that Chevy sold a lot of Avalanches to rednecks and realized there you go. Now I'm considering putting a reservation down on one and see if I'd get it, or the vette, sooner.

I hate to say it, but I actually like the OG Avalanche now lol. Two of my friends got sweet deals on used ones & they are SO PRACTICAL! I still can't handle the aesthetics tho lol.

Same for me, I was shocked that was the design for the Cybertruck, then it grew on me lol. I think Tesla gave me Stockholm Syndrome over the last 2 years lol.

1638723707206.png

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Meh... it still looks weird to me. Rivian did a much better job with styling on their electric truck.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Meh... it still looks weird to me. Rivian did a much better job with styling on their electric truck.

imo:

1. Rivian has the best-looking EV truck
2. Ford has the most functional EV truck
3. Cybertruck has the biggest battery & "wow" factor at the weirdness of the design haha

Reactions: BarkingGhostar
Nov 20, 2009
I can't stop imagining that the bed of that Cybertruck should have some sort of large laser canon and be put in the next installment of Terminator.

Nov 20, 2009
They're banking on the wiper not being needed because you crazy asses will be driving at +100 MPH using your 10g worth of acceleration.