Teens pick wrong guy to rob - gets dead

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
" CBS 2 has learned the robber who pulled the gun was 16-year-old Deonta Dewight."

I noticed that, even though the shooter is a sheriff's deputy, the first thing he did after the incident was over was to grab his phone and call 911.

:D

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I honestly don't understand this idea that because someone expresses concern and displeasure with the whole thug culture in American society of roaming around victimizing citizens, places of business, etc - that this makes them "racist" - simply because of the demographics within that thug culture being skewed in certain directions?

Look, newsflash: those of us who don't like this thug crap have no control over what races are going to be involved in the next news story which touches on it.

And if you think we wouldn't be concerned about these kind of extremely violent, society-eroding behaviors if they were being carried out exclusively by blonde white guys, think again. No matter who is doing this shit, it is extremely problematic for our country and it's entirely natural for it to piss people off. A lot of us have seen cities or neighborhood we grew up in which were perfectly safe at the time, turn into nests of this shit. How could that not irritate a person? Why would that require any sort of racism?

I fully admit I've said some stuff in the past which DID deserve to result in people yelling "racist!" at me, but good fucking lord, at this point all I have to do is comment on something which has any sort of connection real or perceived to black people, and I get that crap. And it's not just me, the same idiots who say it to me are saying it to people who don't have a posting history like I do!

And by the way, I don't think you can even see the races of the three assailants in that video... all I saw were hoods and large coats. I think I could tell the victim looked white, but not definitively. So why are racists assuming the three attackers were black?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I honestly don't understand this idea that because someone expresses concern and displeasure with the whole thug culture in American society of roaming around victimizing citizens, places of business, etc - that this makes them "racist" - simply because of the demographics within that thug culture being skewed in certain directions?

Look, newsflash: those of us who don't like this thug crap have no control over what races are going to be involved in the next news story which touches on it.

And if you think we wouldn't be concerned about these kind of extremely violent, society-eroding behaviors if they were being carried out exclusively by blonde white guys, think again. No matter who is doing this shit, it is extremely problematic for our country and it's entirely natural for it to piss people off. A lot of us have seen cities or neighborhood we grew up in which were perfectly safe at the time, turn into nests of this shit. How could that not irritate a person? Why would that require any sort of racism?

I fully admit I've said some stuff in the past which DID deserve to result in people yelling "racist!" at me, but good fucking lord, at this point all I have to do is comment on something which has any sort of connection real or perceived to black people, and I get that crap. And it's not just me, the same idiots who say it to me are saying it to people who don't a posting history like I do!

And by the way, I don't think you can even see the races of the three assailants in that video... all I saw were hoods and large coats. I think I could tell the victim looked white, but not definitively. So why are racists assuming the three attackers were black?

You are an ignorant racist and I hope you never breed.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
No...just no.

A thug is not necessarily a black person. Your equating the two tells me that you somehow think that either all thugs are black or all black people are thugs. Whichever it is, fix it.

I didn't say a thug was necessarily a black person...I was pointing to how "thug" is almost exclusively applied to black people.

Nice try apologizing for the racists on this board.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
I honestly don't understand this idea that because someone expresses concern and displeasure with the whole thug culture in American society of roaming around victimizing citizens, places of business, etc - that this makes them "racist"

No, it doesn't...it just makes you an idiot when you think it's a "good thing" someone was killed.

Regardless of the circumstances, it is never a "good thing" when a parent loses a child. That's not to say that a teen who was killed in an act of robbery at gunpoint is the fault of the victim, but death is never a "good thing".

Just really shows how stupid you are.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I didn't say a thug was necessarily a black person...I was pointing to how "thug" is almost exclusively applied to black people.

I didn't know I apologized for anyone?

You said
It's obvious that Spidey and Geo are nothing more than puke-bag racists looking to paint all [black] "teens" as thugs (which ain't nothing but another word for n1**er....so lets cut the crap and be honest).

So unless you are saying that white people are "n1**er"s, then I am not sure what it was you were trying to say.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Lol. I used to work in Spanish Harlem. I've spent time in the poorest areas of central and South America. You guys are insane.

As someone else who has spent time in some rather destitute areas of central america poor does not equal dangerous. I would classify my time spent in inner city Detroit as much more dangerous than my time in Nicaragua despite Nicaragua being significantly poorer (as it is the, over all, poorest area of Central America)

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

thug
THəg/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug
a violent person, esp. a criminal.

Ah, I see the racism hidden in there.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
So, lets round this up;
- if loud music is being played: shoot'em, before they shoot you and, expect that they hide the weapons they were going to use on you,... so start searching for some witnesses to this act and THEN order some pizza.
- if a drunk woman is knocking on your door for help at 2am, AND YOU OPEN THE DOOR, it's clearly a home invasion: shoot'er, before her 12 other cohorts rush the open door (that you opened).
- any kids in hoodies: shoot'em.

All mockery of the OP aside, glad the sgt took one of these punks out. And, he did so AFTER it was clearly established they were going to harm him - not before and not based on the direction of the OP. Great job sarg.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
thug
THəg/
noun

It started in the Zimmerman thread. Someone was vacationed for an obvious racist post where they actually defined thug as someone with darker than light brown skin. You do the math.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
thug
THəg/
noun

Do you think you are fooling anyone?

All those people in the south during the civil rights era that were complaining about bussing were really just concerned about traffic and gas. After all there's nothing about bussing that explicitly says black people.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It started in the Zimmerman thread. Someone was vacationed for an obvious racist post where they actually defined thug as someone with darker than light brown skin. You do the math.
Man, it's hard to keep up with what's PC in this ever-changing world of ours. I must have missed that post in the 71,000+ post thread.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012

I believe that's a misrepresentation of the post you're referring to.

I think SA said something about a a thug attacking someone who was lighter than a certain shade, and I took him to mean that there are some people out there, who are thugs, who will basically attack you for no better or other reason than that you aren't of their race. In other words, your only "crime" was to be lighter skinned than them.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I fully admit I've said some stuff in the past which DID deserve to result in people yelling "racist!" at me, but good fucking lord, at this point all I have to do is comment on something which has any sort of connection real or perceived to black people, and I get that crap. And it's not just me, the same idiots who say it to me are saying it to people who don't have a posting history like I do!

I'll explain it to you.

If by thug you mean people who commit crimes and criminal intimidation no problem.

But people like him who see a black man in a dispute with a white man and automatically assume black man is a thug/criminal despite the actual evidence is a psychopathic racist.

Please don't make me tell the Richard Sherman story again. You webbed friend called him a thug.

Remember when spidey posted nun-chucks and a silencer were found in the Davis car, to him that was a game changer. When it was pointed out the white guy had these all of a sudden it was of no consequence.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Good. If agreeing with the OP makes me racist :rolleyes:and a sociopath, then I'm glad and dont care who is offended reading this thread. I noticed 3 thugs robbing a man at gunpoint first before I noticed anyone's skin color. I have no respect and nothing but contempt for hoodlums and thugs such as these teens and every last one of them should have received a bullet in the head. Don't want to get shot? Then learn to respect others and not to commit crimes. This officer should get a medal.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
If by thug you mean people who commit crimes and criminal intimidation no problem.

Absolutely that's what I mean by "thug." I would call every white skinhead with swastika tattoos and such a thug. There are plenty of Latino thugs particularly in L.A. and San Diego, etc... there are even some Asian thugs around CA. I'm sure there are plenty of Arab thugs in Michigan. They come in all varieties. Oh and just to be clear? You don't have to be a skinhead to be a white thug. There are white thugs who have no connection that sort of stuff. I think there used to be a lot more white thugs than there are today.

But people like him who see a black man in a dispute with a white man and automatically assume black man is a thug/criminal despite the actual evidence is a psychopathic racist.

In theory you're right but the thing that gets people confused on this whole issue is the fact that right now, in our nation, the thug rolls are tipped very far in the direction of certain demographics compared to others. This makes them have a hard time separating the two concepts and believing that someone they don't like who they see criticizing thuggery is actually targeting the race of the thugs, and not the behavior.

And likewise with your scenario here, we can't just be that vague and say "a white man and a black man are having a dispute" - what are they each dressed like? If I see some big white biker dude with a big beard, tats all over his arms, black sunglasses on, a bandanna, and an aggressive posture being loud with a black guy wearing glasses and a Cosby sweater, speaking softly and trying to calm him down - you can bet your ass I'm going to size up the white guy as being the thug.

But if I see a black guy in a big ass coat, sagging, and/or a hoodie, with aggressive posture and body language, being loud, in your face, and confrontational toward a white guy in a business suit, then I'm calling it the other way around. And it's not my fault that this scenario may be a metric fuck ton more common than the other one.

If I see a white guy in an argument with a black guy and they're both dressed nicely and arguing in the way that civilized people do, with no hint that either of them intend to bring physical violence into it... I will declare there are no thugs present, just two guys arguing. If I see an Eminem looking white guy arguing with a 50 Cent looking black guy, I'm calling that thug on thug.

Again, it's not my fault if some of these scenarios are far more common than others.

Remember when spidey posted nun-chucks and a silencer were found in the Davis car, to him that was a game changer. When it was pointed out the white guy had these all of a sudden it was of no consequence.

He had egg on his face for getting it wrong, but let's be honest here... it wasn't a game changer if it was Dunn because he was already known to have had a firearm and used it. It actually would have been a game changer if they'd been in the Durango, at least kind of. The silencer would have been very indicative.

Please don't make me tell the Richard Sherman story again. You webbed friend called him a thug.

I don't know who that is, in fact until I just got ready to reply I was utterly convinced you'd said Richard Simmons and I could not for the life of me figure out how anyone could think he was a thug.

m9CfIDl.png

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I believe that's a misrepresentation of the post you're referring to.

I think SA said something about a a thug attacking someone who was lighter than a certain shade, and I took him to mean that there are some people out there, who are thugs, who will basically attack you for no better or other reason than that you aren't of their race. In other words, your only "crime" was to be lighter skinned than them.

The mod that banned him seems to disagree with you.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012

What about saying you're glad he's removed from the genepool?

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
While I agree that this appears to be a legal shoot, I doubt anyone but a psycho would consider the outcome a happy ending. Except for being relieved to still be alive, I doubt the shooter is happy that he had to do what he had to do.

This.

There is no such thing as a "good shoot", only a justified shoot.

Only a sociopath would celebrate having to take another person's life.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Absolutely that's what I mean by "thug." I would call every white skinhead with swastika tattoos and such a thug. There are plenty of Latino thugs particularly in L.A. and San Diego, etc... there are even some Asian thugs around CA. I'm sure there are plenty of Arab thugs in Michigan. They come in all varieties. Oh and just to be clear? You don't have to be a skinhead to be a white thug. There are white thugs who have no connection that sort of stuff. I think there used to be a lot more white thugs than there are today.

In theory you're right but the thing that gets people confused on this whole issue is the fact that right now, in our nation, the thug rolls are tipped very far in the direction of certain demographics compared to others. This makes them have a hard time separating the two concepts and believing that someone they don't like who they see criticizing thuggery is actually targeting the race of the thugs, and not the behavior.

And likewise with your scenario here, we can't just be that vague and say "a white man and a black man are having a dispute" - what are they each dressed like? If I see some big white biker dude with a big beard, tats all over his arms, black sunglasses on, a bandanna, and an aggressive posture being loud with a black guy wearing glasses and a Cosby sweater, speaking softly and trying to calm him down - you can bet your ass I'm going to size up the white guy as being the thug.

But if I see a black guy in a big ass coat, sagging, and/or a hoodie, with aggressive posture and body language, being loud, in your face, and confrontational toward a white guy in a business suit, then I'm calling it the other way around. And it's not my fault that this scenario may be a metric fuck ton more common than the other one.

If I see a white guy in an argument with a black guy and they're both dressed nicely and arguing in the way that civilized people do, with no hint that either of them intend to bring physical violence into it... I will declare there are no thugs present, just two guys arguing. If I see an Eminem looking white guy arguing with a 50 Cent looking black guy, I'm calling that thug on thug.

Again, it's not my fault if some of these scenarios are far more common than others.

He had egg on his face for getting it wrong, but let's be honest here... it wasn't a game changer if it was Dunn because he was already known to have had a firearm and used it. It actually would have been a game changer if they'd been in the Durango, at least kind of. The silencer would have been very indicative.

I don't know who that is, in fact until I just got ready to reply I was utterly convinced you'd said Richard Simmons and I could not for the life of me figure out how anyone could think he was a thug.

m9CfIDl.png

Guess I have to tell the Richard Sherman story again to highlight what I mean by assuming a black man is a criminal.

Richard Sherman was the guy who gave a post game interview after the NFL NFC championship game. He yelled about how good he was and the twitter universe went crazy with n-word, thug, animal, criminal etc.

Turns out RS is a

A+ high school student
Stanford grad
works hard at his job makes a good living.
No criminal record
No arrest record

Yet people went ballistic calling him a thug, including spidey. Turns out the bar is pretty low if you are a black man from Compton wearing dreads

So what would you call people who label Richard Sherman this way??

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

That's because you're racist, so why are you surprised? The obvious racists here are the ones who mostly get shit.