Teens pick wrong guy to rob - gets dead

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Apparently it's not not just "childish," but "communist" to quote a grown man's own words as indicative of his attitudes.

Not sure how else one might evaluate other strangers on an Internet message board. Are we supposed to use a crystal ball to determine whether or not you mean any particular thing you might say?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Quoting my views back to me and saying "I find your views repugnant and here's why. These are the flaws I see in your views, and why I think you're misguided for holding them. Here are my alternate views and why I hold them." = Adult who embraces free speech and exchange of ideas.

Yelling at me that I'm an evil racist bigot who belongs on Stormfront and that you can't understand why I'm not banned, and treating just saying "he's a eugenicist" "he's a racist" "he made a thread about ____" as though these are refutations rather than just shout downs and warnings to others that they'd better not engage in discussion with me or they might look bad for not shouting me down too... that's shit is childish and censorious.

The first approach I respect completely, the second one I respect not at all.

There are a handful of people who use the first approach and whom I respect greatly for their mastery of their own emotions and their ability to engage even with those they strongly disagree with in a civil fashion. They are a small minority. The other type are legion.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
just saying "he's a eugenicist" "he's a racist" "he made a thread about ____" as though these are refutations

Those are very good reasons to not want to engage you or allow you to have threads on subjects where we know all you're going to do is uncover another one of your ideologies. I guess that makes everyone childish and you are just too darn mature for the rest of us.

You are basically calling the admins childish as well, especially since I know they didn't JUST shut down your thread, I am sure something was said to you...just like it was on your race and genetics thread.

Last edited:

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Quoting my views back to me and saying "I find your views repugnant and here's why. These are the flaws I see in your views, and why I think you're misguided for holding them. Here are my alternate views and why I hold them." = Adult who embraces free speech and exchange of ideas.

Yelling at me that I'm an evil racist bigot who belongs on Stormfront and that you can't understand why I'm not banned, and treating just saying "he's a eugenicist" "he's a racist" "he made a thread about ____" as though these are refutations rather than just shout downs and warnings to others that they'd better not engage in discussion with me or they might look bad for not shouting me down too... that's shit is childish and censorious.

There are a handful of people who use the first approach and whom I respect greatly for their mastery of their own emotions and their ability to engage even with those they strongly disagree with in a civil fashion. They are a small minority. The other type are legion.

The problem that you're failing to grasp here is that people of your ilk deserve neither respect nor acceptance, and normal, *thinking* people would be appalled to receive either from you.

How you are still allowed to spread your vitriol masquerading as "intelligent discussion" (horribly, I might add) here is the only true mystery.

As a side bar, there's only one person playing the victim in this thread...and it's not SheHateMe.

Feb 10, 2000

From my perspective, overtly racist people deserve to be publicly shamed so the rest of us know who we are dealing with. Your particular brand of overt racism is cloaked in endlessly wordy pseudo-intellectualism, and topped of with a heaping dollop of self-pity and melodrama, but that doesn't change its (your) essential character. If anything your namby-pamby-ness makes me respect you less, because you lack even the courage of your (repugnant) convictions.

I am not saying you should be locked up, or that your right to say awful, racist things should be illegal. I simply view this forum as a parlor for discussion, and if you were in my parlor I'd kick you out because I find you, and your views, despicable.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Do you two claim to be completely free of any hint of racism?

I like to think that my personal political ideology can be summed up using only the last 5 words of the pledge of allegiance.
Many racists like to hide behind libertarianism because of voluntary association, but they forget that a government that privileges one group over another can never be considered small or free.

Plus, I live in the Pacific Northwest.. I've seen far too many methheads and the like to be able to believe that there's anything special about having pale skin.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
He's alluding to the possibility that Geosurface is a concern troll.

I don't pay enough attention to people I guess. I have no idea who he is. I remember you because you are an illegal alien. Maybe not illegal but still. ..that's how I remember you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don't pay enough attention to people I guess. I have no idea who he is. I remember you because you are an illegal alien. Maybe not illegal but still. ..that's how I remember you.

Lol.. I haven't changed my avatar here in like 12 years.
I'm surprised you haven't seen his posts, they give tl;dr a new meaning.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
It's a derogatory term for sociopathic lawless violent thugs whom also happen to be black. And honestly I don't have a problem with offending that particular group of people.
??? Is there really a need for racial subgroups in "sociopathic lawless violent thugs"?

If one has terms for people based in part on their skin color then to some extent one smears people with similar skin color, even if that is manifestly not one's intention, by making that skin color significant enough to be a factor that divides people. That should be enough to stop us from using skin color as a classification. If you're issuing an APB, by all means include skin color. If you're discussing particular drugs or crimes common to racially or ethnically defined gangs, fine. Otherwise, why use race as a defining factor? If we're condemning people for condemnable behavior, can't we just lump them all together and get it over with?

Yeah Breitbart probably isn't the example you want to use here. He received as much respect as he gave others when they died. Consider it paying homage.
LOL I don't think you really thought that one through, buddy. Whatever Breitbart did, surely it pales in comparison to robbing people at gunpoint.

There's a difference between being openly gleeful about a death as one poster in this thread is.

And saying I didn't like what the guy stood for... condolences to his family and friends though.

The above a bit different than "good heart attack... no great heart attack..." to paraphrase one particular odious post in this thread.

As far as I recall most of the posts in this thread call the shooting justified but call into question the celebratory attitude that at least one poster has demonstrated.
Furthermore I haven't seen. "Condolences to the mugger's family and friends." in many, if any at all, posts in this thread.

Whereas there are quite a few expressions of condolences to family an friends in the other thread.

In other words, people are saying the mugger deserved to die because he put himself in that situation and haven't really expressed any thoughts about people in his life, while Mr. Breitbart's family an friends received several condolences.

That's the nuance. In the first few pages of the first thread you mention I didn't see any post as celebratory as the thread starter for this subject.
That's a fair point. It would not occur to me to express condolences to family members of someone killed in self defense while committing armed robbery. Nor will I now, even though this young man probably (hopefully) had people who honestly loved him. Had he lived, he might have one day been a better person, but he died intentionally committing a violent crime. I think one forfeits that inherent good will when one chooses to be a violent criminal.

Nonetheless, I certainly agree that his death is nothing to celebrate. One can agree that a tumor needed to be cut out without celebrating the death of the tumor. And it's always worth remembering that unlike tumors, humans sometimes change to benign or even helpful. Many a former thug ends his days preaching and trying to keep kids out of the violence and crime he embraced in his younger days. Others simply give it up and turn their lives around to become normal, productive people.