News Teens in Make America Great Again hats taunted a Native American elder at the Lincoln Memorial

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
And here we go back yet again to the old both sides are shitty which makes one side worse argument. Yay!

And for the record, I do not care what any celebrities say or said.

The fact that you can't come to any general agreement here just shows how hard-headed retarded you are. You lost. The kids as a whole weren't bad. They don't deserve to be dox'd or expelled. End of story. The fact that folks like you are still here arguing shows you're still in retard mode.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
No one is saying the kids did nothing wrong. No one. Name any post here. Everyone universally agrees that they look like smug dickheads - which is rather somewhat normal for pre-teen boys that are obviously due for hitting some kind of puberty

The fact that you can't come to any general agreement here just shows how hard-headed retarded you are. You lost. The kids as a whole weren't bad. They don't deserve to be dox'd or expelled. End of story. The fact that folks like you are still here arguing shows you're still in retard mode.

Wow. LMAO.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

The fact that you believe there are winners and losers here, or that this is all about winning and losing shows who's the retard.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Was this posted here? It was in OT.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/twitter-suspends-account-native-american-maga-teens/index.html

Twitter suspended an account on Monday afternoon that helped spread a controversial encounter between a Native American elder and a group of high school students wearing Make America Great Again hats.

The account claimed to belong to a California schoolteacher. Its profile photo was not of a schoolteacher, but of a blogger based in Brazil, CNN Business found. Twitter suspended the account soon after CNN Business asked about it.

The account, with the username @2020fight, was set up in December 2016 and appeared to be the tweets of a woman named Talia living in California. "Teacher & Advocate. Fighting for 2020," its Twitter bio read. Since the beginning of this year, the account had tweeted on average 130 times a day and had more than 40,000 followers.

Late on Friday, the account posted a minute-long video showing the now-iconic confrontation between a Native American elder and the high school students, with the caption, "This MAGA loser gleefully bothering a Native American protester at the Indigenous Peoples March."

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Whataboutism.

The kids in the “ZOMG: Blackface!” picture were attending the school in 2012. They are not the people you saw at this rally. They would have graduated years ago.

I responded to something that deserved a response because it kept ignorantly persisting despite all indications (reality) pointing another way. Not sure why that obligates me to address or defend others for unrelated issues you are bringing up here. Your arguments there are stronger when you stop barking up the wrong tree about blackface from other students from the same school in 2012. It undermines his credibility if he continues to use that 2012 picture to argue for the degeneracy of the other kids you’re talking about here. If anything, I’m helping to steel his and your position on that matter.

No, that's not whataboutism. Seriously, everyone on the AT forums, conservatives and liberals alike, need to stop accusing people of doing this because apparently none of you know your fallacies.

Which isn't to say that, and of course I don't condone instances like "if they enjoy it," combing through these kid's and the school's history for transgressions after the original narrative turns out to be wrong, after these kids have been drug through the mud in front of the whole world for something they didn't do, just because some people can't stand to admit they got things wrong, is still pretty despicable. If you want to call this tactic anything, it would be closest to goalpost moving.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
No, that's not whataboutism. Seriously, everyone on the AT forums, conservatives and liberals alike, need to stop accusing people of doing this because apparently none of you know your fallacies.

Which isn't to say that, and of course I don't condone instances like "if they enjoy it," combing through these kid's and the school's history for transgressions after the original narrative turns out to be wrong, after these kids have been drug through the mud in front of the whole world for something they didn't do, just because some people can't stand to admit they got things wrong, is still pretty despicable. If you want to call this tactic anything, it would be closest to goalpost moving.
So, there weren't disrespecting the Native American by doing the tomahawk chop?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I hope top universities blacklist this school. That cesspool will get cleaned out very quick once its seen as a dead end.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So, there weren't disrespecting the Native American by doing the tomahawk chop?

The kids were accused of going up to the Indian guy and harassing him. That turned out to not be true given the video evidence showing that it was the Indian guy that went up to the kids.

The kids were taunting by doing the tomahawk chop to mock him after he came up to them. That is offensive, but, his group was more offensive. The video shows the Indian group taunting the kids and saying antagonizing things to the kids.

We have full grown adults harassing kids, and we are blaming the kids more than the adults.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I hope top universities blacklist this school. That cesspool will get cleaned out very quick once its seen as a dead end.

What is it that you think happened here?

Twitter account that first shared the edited video has been suspended for the video being misleading. Indian guy shown to have misrepresented what happened. Worst thing that we have seen is the tomahawk chop.

You want to blacklist these kids because of that?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

These smirking clowns will be lucky to find a trucking school that will take them. No admissions board is going to chance the giant PR nightmare for one prep school d-bag.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
These smirking clowns will be lucky to find a trucking school that will take them. No admissions board is going to chance the giant PR nightmare for one prep school d-bag.

Since they handled a tough situation admirably I think a lot of places will be interested in them.

Jan 25, 2011
What is it that you think happened here?

Twitter account that first shared the edited video has been suspended for the video being misleading. Indian guy shown to have misrepresented what happened. Worst thing that we have seen is the tomahawk chop.

You want to blacklist these kids because of that?
Actually they were suspended for creating an apparent fake account, nothing to do with the video.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
The kids were accused of going up to the Indian guy and harassing him. That turned out to not be true given the video evidence showing that it was the Indian guy that went up to the kids.

The kids were taunting by doing the tomahawk chop to mock him after he came up to them. That is offensive, but, his group was more offensive. The video shows the Indian group taunting the kids and saying antagonizing things to the kids.

We have full grown adults harassing kids, and we are blaming the kids more than the adults.

WHAT?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Yeah, they'll pay a heavy price for their chauvinism just like Bret Kavanagh did.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Actually they were suspended for creating an apparent fake account, nothing to do with the video.

Hmmm

"Deliberate attempts to manipulate the public conversation on Twitter by using misleading account information is a violation of the Twitter Rules."

If it were just about a fake account, then what conversation was the twitter rep talking about?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
When I see rich white punks putting on maga hats and doing tomahawk chops and mocking dances at a native American elder, the first thing I think of is "Wow, what admirable behavior by those upstanding young men."

Is that what you think happened? Some rich white kids wearing MAGA hats went up to an Indian and started doing tomahawk chops to him?

Reactions: lsd
Jan 25, 2011
Hmmm

"Deliberate attempts to manipulate the public conversation on Twitter by using misleading account information is a violation of the Twitter Rules."

If it were just about a fake account, then what conversation was the twitter rep talking about?
Any conversation. They looked at the account, the fake picture as well as the posting history in determining it should be suspended.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
When I see rich white punks putting on maga hats and doing tomahawk chops and mocking dances at a native American elder, the first thing I think of is "Wow, what admirable behavior by those upstanding young men."

When you're being insulted and yelled at and you respond with school cheers and then someone bangs a drum in your face unprompted and you don't escalate the situation you've done a pretty good job.