News Teens in Make America Great Again hats taunted a Native American elder at the Lincoln Memorial

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
And here we have a situation where people who feel that a group of youths who did nothing wrong were smeared by an e-mob have amassed their own e-mob to smear a Native American veteran who did nothing wrong.

Meanwhile, the Brazillian troll who started this whole thing is laughing their head off.

Gamergate boys need something else to rage on, so this is it. lol.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
And here we have a situation where people who feel that a group of youths who did nothing wrong were smeared by an e-mob have amassed their own e-mob to smear a Native American veteran who did nothing wrong.

Meanwhile, the Brazillian troll who started this whole thing is laughing their head off.
Fact checking or dispelling false narratives spread by someone with an agenda is not an e-mob.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I also love offensive jokes but there was no context in them extolling the virtues of forced sex.

That's why Michael Richards got in so much trouble.

Can you give me a link for what happened in terms of what was said to the woman?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Fact checking or dispelling false narratives spread by someone with an agenda is not an e-mob.

Yeah that is a weird argument by him. We have Kathy Griffin calling for these kids to be doxxed, Erza Klein saying the kid has a punchable face. I think there was a massive amount of emob hate coming from those on the Left.

I do not doubt for a second that the Right is not responding equally, but, the Left for sure is doing shitty things.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
1. No one is saying the kids did nothing wrong. No one. Name any post here. Everyone universally agrees that they look like smug dickheads - which is rather somewhat normal for pre-teen boys that are obviously due for hitting some kind of puberty

2. No one is trying to "smear" the Native American. Some people have asked some obvious questions such as... "Are you sure he is a veteran considering his age doesn't line up with when the war occurred?". If you're indicating that we shouldn't be questioning him then you're one ignorant person if you just believe everything that comes out of people's mouths immediately.
There was a poster here who accused him of stolen valor.

Nov 8, 2012
There was a poster here who accused him of stolen valor.

In complete honesty -the guy does look VERY fucked up in the head. He also was interviewed and said the kids were yelling "BUILD THE WALL! BUILD THE WALL"

People have scrubbed through the entire 2 hour video - no one can find where they ever yelled such a thing.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yeah that is a weird argument by him. We have Kathy Griffin calling for these kids to be doxxed, Erza Klein saying the kid has a punchable face. I think there was a massive amount of emob hate coming from those on the Left.

I do not doubt for a second that the Right is not responding equally, but, the Left for sure is doing shitty things.
And here we go back yet again to the old both sides are shitty which makes one side worse argument. Yay!

And for the record, I do not care what any celebrities say or said.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
This has been a fun one.
Essentially nothing happened.

But the comments sections just an amazing war of delusion and disinformation. This thread is much the same.

The news media has to be loving it. They even got my clicks this time. Well done. I was team kids btw...

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Everything they did was an attempt to be funny to each other. From mocking the Native American, to the dance, to the vulgar cat calling.

Yep. I don't find that type of thing to be funny. I hope that they grow out of that type of thing as that type of behavior is not good for society. I also think it was a joke and not something they really thought.

I'm presuming it was the kids that said that?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
And here we go back yet again to the old both sides are shitty which makes one side worse argument. Yay!

And for the record, I do not care what any celebrities say or said.

Do you think people on the Left have been hate mobbing these kids?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Pro tip: Don't wear MAGA hats when you're a stupid teen and not old enough to even vote.
Especially in DC at an event.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Do you think people on the Left have been hate mobbing these kids?
Do you think people on the Right have been hate mobbing the Native American?

What I think is that this situation has been yet another example of where disinformation is used to keep us pointing fingers at 'the other side' and thus keep us divided.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
bshole posted to explain that the media got it wrong and that the man never claimed to be a Vietnam veteran. That's quite the opposite of bshole accusing the man of stolen valor for falsely claiming to be a Vietnam veteran.

As if, the level of self-delusion in this thread was not already at comical highs, here are the exact words you are referring to:
Given the reported age of the Native American protester and the date of last combat troops in the Vietnam War, questions have been asked regarding whether he was old enough to have served in the war. There is a blog run by combat veterans looking into it (they filed a request for his military records). So far they have found no evidence that Phillips ever even claimed to be a Vietnam War veteran. He has used the term "Vietnam Times veteran" verbiage. They were unable to find a direct quote from Philips claiming to be Vietnam War veteran but they were able to find instance(s) of the media conflating Phillip's "Vietnam Times" veteran into "Vietnam War" veteran.

Stolen Valor is a serious affront to many veterans. This is why the blog was careful not to accuse of Phillips of claiming to be a Vietnam War veteran. There doesn't appear to be evidence at this time that he ever made such a claim.

https://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=84414&cpage=1

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Do you think people on the Right have been hate mobbing the Native American?

Absolutely. That is why I said that it was likely happening. Did you miss that?

What I think is that this situation has been yet another example of where disinformation is used to keep us pointing fingers at 'the other side' and thus keep us divided.

You called out "both sides" as if it were not both sides here. I don't know what you mean by disinformation. Can you explain that?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
bshole posted to explain that the man never claimed to be a Vietnam veteran. That's quite the opposite of bshole accusing the man of stolen valor.

As if, the level of self-delusion in this thread was not already at comical highs, here are the exact words you are referring to:

Pretty cut and dry.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Nah I’d bet it was more geared toward the latter. That said kids are stupid, lots of kids together are even worse, and lots of kids together put into an awkward/uncomfortable/tense situation are even worse than that. They aren’t going to respond back by the textbook.

Young, dumb and full of...

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Young, dumb and full of...

Great, now I want a Cinnabon.

Cinnabon+Baking+Kit.png

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
It represents whatever you project onto it to defend your assumptions about who is worthy of contempt. Remember, if you have joined in the feeding frenzy of condemnation of those kids, you will have no choice but to see malevolence, disdain and smirking contempt. I mean, what are you going to say to yourself, what a fuck headed irrational pecker-head I was to condemn based on such complete information. That would just fuck up your moral certainty and make you look like a conservative. Better to deny deny deny and counterattack.

I see on google some liberals have reversed their opinions on seeing more evidence. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

It seems that if you lean to the left then it was an arrogant smirk. If you lean to the right it was a nervous smile. If you’re in the middle it looks like the kid was put in an awkward position and had an awkward expression because he didn’t know what to do.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It seems that if you lean to the left then it was an arrogant smirk. If you lean to the right it was a nervous smile. If you’re in the middle it looks like the kid was put in an awkward position and had an awkward expression because he didn’t know what to do.

Yep. Bari Weiss just did a podcast where she said the video was a Rorschach test. If you lean Left you saw hate and bigotry. If you lean Right you saw a kid being harassed.