Team Fortress 2 Scout update!!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Storm
Originally posted by: 40Hands
I wonder if the Force-A-Nature will do more damage? I didn't see anything indicating it would from the scout update page. I can't wait for this update. I love the scout!

What I understood from the description is that it seems the gun will be similar to the scattergun in terms of damage, but each (close ranged) hit will have an airblast type effect on the person being shot, knocking them back. Also, you can fire a shot while in the air to gain an extra "jump." It definitely sounds like a powerful gun, but you only have 2 shots and a slow reload (1 shot if you want to use that extra jump). Definitely seems like a weapon geared towards the better scout players who are accurate with their shots.

Hmm..It would seem to me as a scout, I wouldn't want to push people away from my close range weapon. Right? I mean if I run in on a medic from behind, hit him with the knock back, he will fly away from me. I don't want that unless I'm pushing back his corpse! :D

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I wonder if the Force-A-Nature will do more damage? I didn't see anything indicating it would from the scout update page. I can't wait for this update. I love the scout!

What I understood from the description is that it seems the gun will be similar to the scattergun in terms of damage, but each (close ranged) hit will have an airblast type effect on the person being shot, knocking them back. Also, you can fire a shot while in the air to gain an extra "jump." It definitely sounds like a powerful gun, but you only have 2 shots and a slow reload (1 shot if you want to use that extra jump). Definitely seems like a weapon geared towards the better scout players who are accurate with their shots.

Hmm..It would seem to me as a scout, I wouldn't want to push people away from my close range weapon. Right? I mean if I run in on a medic from behind, hit him with the knock back, he will fly away from me. I don't want that unless I'm pushing back his corpse! :D

Yeah, but if you have a pyro/demo/whatever running at you, it would be helpful in blasting them back a bit. You could also use it to blast them off a point, off a precipice, or away from a Medic or other teammate you may want to protect.

I'm assuming this will not push back ubers? Any guesses?

KT

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007

I was thinking the same thing.

Looking forward to trying this one out.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
this thing could be great on those low-grav orange maps.

i guess its also dependent on how far it blows players back. seems like a good way to provide the scout with an offensive (bonk) and defensive updates w/ the sandman and Force

Yeah i can't wait for tonight to play this.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
Originally posted by: Pelu
AT LAST SCOUTS GOT SOMETHING NICE!!!!

The most useless class in the game get some use!!!!!

What the hell are you nubs talking about? The scout is the MOST POWERFUL (along with the demoman) class in the game. This coming from a competitive TF2 player. Just learn how to use the class and you'll destroy anyone. Seriously, with his speed and damage ability up close, he's the most powerful offensive class in the game.

come to pyro daddy...

dude, i eat pyros for breakfast as scout, it's not even funny. Pyro is the worst combat class.

I was playing gravel pit once and the opposite team did a 7 man scout rush on Point B. I come ablazing (no pun intended) in through the wide front entrance and torched all 7 scouts with my pyro. don't tell me it's not a good offensive class.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
Originally posted by: CPA

What the hell are you nubs talking about? The scout is the MOST POWERFUL (along with the demoman) class in the game. This coming from a competitive TF2 player. Just learn how to use the class and you'll destroy anyone. Seriously, with his speed and damage ability up close, he's the most powerful offensive class in the game.

come to pyro daddy...

dude, i eat pyros for breakfast as scout, it's not even funny. Pyro is the worst combat class.

I was playing gravel pit once and the opposite team did a 7 man scout rush on Point B. I come ablazing (no pun intended) in through the wide front entrance and torched all 7 scouts with my pyro. don't tell me it's not a good offensive class.

if they are rushing ur aren't on the offensive side.

point aside, all 3 updates seems to boost the scout's ability as flag runner. (huuray no more 3 hour 2forts)

So in that effect, you first knock the other team silly so they can't block you at the door or something, pop the drink(i highly doubt it's full immunity though) and run for the case while evading the sentries and gun blasts like what's in the picture, and as you run away, you can knock the chasers back.

alternatively, you can save the drink to last when you have to get out of a heavily populated area like upstairs in 2fort.

something like that.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

come to pyro daddy...

Ok let me ammend that, pyro is a terrible combat class against good players. Your skill ceiling is low. I play TF2 competitively and the only classes that get played on a regular basis are: soldier, scout, medic, and demoman (scouts will sometimes flex to sniper or engineer depending on situation, and soldiers will flex to heavy on a rare occassion as well). Pyro is absolutely terrible against good players.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

come to pyro daddy...

Ok let me ammend that, pyro is a terrible combat class against good players. Your skill ceiling is low. I play TF2 competitively and the only classes that get played on a regular basis are: soldier, scout, medic, and demoman (scouts will sometimes flex to sniper or engineer depending on situation, and soldiers will flex to heavy on a rare occassion as well). Pyro is absolutely terrible against good players.

On offense maybe, but on defense, which is essentially the only time I play Pyro (unless I'm feeling tired and/or lazy), you can do a lot of damage and a tonne of prevention. Pyro is a low-skill class overall, but a good Pyro (there is such a thing in my opinion) can make a significant impact, even against good players.

KT

Apr 17, 2005

come to pyro daddy...

thats retarded...there are good pyros that will fuck you up. don't bring that worst combat class nonsense in here.

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

come to pyro daddy...

thats retarded...there are good pyros that will fuck you up. don't bring that worst combat class nonsense in here.
maybe on a very small square'd shaped map that forces both teams to spawn together then I would have to agree with above statement. Pyro's have little to none chance of winning in a 1on1 situation with most of the other classes considering both participants have decent skill on a duel_duel type map.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

come to pyro daddy...

Please explain to me why pyro's are rarely if ever used in competitive tf2 matches.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

come to pyro daddy...

Please explain to me why pyro's are rarely if ever used in competitive tf2 matches.

Because competitive matches are 6v6, not normal TF2 conditions which has 9 classes to choose from (32-man is also not normal). In a normal game, a pyro can do very well. Competitive matches are not normal games however, their smaller numbers allow certain classes to excel more and others not so much (i.e. helps the scout, hurts the pyro).

You can't determine whether or not a class is effective based on 6v6 play. I look at those numbers and see a half-full game. Also, the whole "1v1" thing really doesn't make as much sense in TF2 with the completely different classes in the game and how they counter/compliment each other. Any class can beat any class in the right situation. 1v1 in the open is the scout's home court, that's where he's at an advantage. 1v1 in confined spaces is the pyro's specialty. That's what makes TF2 so great, the classes are really different from each other, not just the same guys carrying different guns. The vast differences put an emphasis on teamwork, which is one of the things that separates TF2 from other FPS games IMHO.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Quizard
LOL, How do u know it will be released today

It said so in the press release: :)

February 17, 2008 ? Valve, creators of award-winning games and leading technologies, today announced a set of new releases for Team Fortress 2, the title named Editor's Favorite Game of All Time by PC Gamer (UK). The releases are headline by the Scout Update and will be made available Tuesday, February 24. Between now and then, folks can learn more about what's coming by checking www.tf2.com/scoutupdate each day.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I pub a pyro and dominate but I would never use this class in competitive play. Soldiers or scouts only.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
45 minutes I hear, servers coming down for update. Hate the scout, but oh well, update is an update.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
CP maps are ganna go by quick tonight and for the next couple nights. I usually try to avoid the first couple days of any new update cus everyone is always that person. Then I go to an achievement map to get them.

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
yep servers are down so it should be here soon, I will turn this into a discussion thread about the new updates if ppl would like me too

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Quizard
yep servers are down so it should be here soon, I will turn this into a discussion thread about the new updates if ppl would like me too

Sounds good. No need to start another thread.