Team Fortress 2 Scout update!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
I just bought TF2 and don't exactly "get it"

Definitely has a learning curve for an FPS. *goes back to BF2/BF2142*

Yea cus you need to learn about all the different classes and what they do. It's the same thing like in any FPS that has different classes like BF2.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: zerocool84

Yea cus you need to learn about all the different classes and what they do. It's the same thing like in any FPS that has different classes like BF2.

Except in BF2 they're straightforward. TF2 is like Mario Kart if it were an FPS, except Mario Kart has no learning curve and TF2 seems to have a huge one. BF2 is like Gran Turismo, but with nearly no learning curve.

I've been playing for like 5 hours and the only useful thing I've been doing is übering a heavy and storming a control point. Except the medic has a shitty gun. In BF2 the medic gets the G36E, arguably the best gun in the game.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Except in BF2 they're straightforward. TF2 is like Mario Kart if it were an FPS, except Mario Kart has no learning curve and TF2 seems to have a huge one. BF2 is like Gran Turismo, but with nearly no learning curve.

I've been playing for like 5 hours and the only useful thing I've been doing is übering a heavy and storming a control point. Except the medic has a shitty gun. In BF2 the medic gets the G36E, arguably the best gun in the game.

Medic is my main and I have more kills with him than I do with most other classes. The syringe gun is a pos useful only for backpedaling against pyros or hitting people/buildings above and below you. Use the bonesaw, it hurts. Most people expect a medic to run away, if you whip out that bonesaw and charge them you will get kills. Melee weapons have a very high crit rate.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Originally posted by: I4AT

Medic is my main and I have more kills with him than I do with most other classes. The syringe gun is a pos useful only for backpedaling against pyros or hitting people/buildings above and below you. Use the bonesaw, it hurts. Most people expect a medic to run away, if you whip out that bonesaw and charge them you will get kills. Melee weapons have a very high crit rate.

You might be doing something wrong here... Aren't you supposed to be healing someone? The syringe gun is pretty useless specifically so you have to attach onto someone. It does do a decent amount of damage up close for those pesky scouts and pyros.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004

The G36E is incredibly overpowered. I play medic a lot and that thing is like a mini-sniper on maps like Wake Island. I don't get TF2 very much either even though I've played it for quite a while. I eventually went back to BF2 as well because it just feels more natural to me. I guess the modern weapons (and the inclusion of vehicles) definitely make BF2 less random than TF2 is. IMO BF2 has a much steeper learning curve should you want to master all the classes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: Pelu
AT LAST SCOUTS GOT SOMETHING NICE!!!!

The most useless class in the game get some use!!!!!

I'll take you 1v1 as scout, you can pick your class.

Feelin lucky? :cool:
I'm a force of nature.
If you were from, where I was from, YOU'D BE !@#$%* DEAD!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

What the hell are you nubs talking about? The scout is the MOST POWERFUL (along with the demoman) class in the game. This coming from a competitive TF2 player. Just learn how to use the class and you'll destroy anyone. Seriously, with his speed and damage ability up close, he's the most powerful offensive class in the game.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Well the new shotgun pushes back people and seems like it can shoot you up into the air but it has slower reload time and only 2 shots.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Screw the upgrades, is anyone buying the shirt? That is awesome.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus

What the hell are you nubs talking about? The scout is the MOST POWERFUL (along with the demoman) class in the game. This coming from a competitive TF2 player. Just learn how to use the class and you'll destroy anyone. Seriously, with his speed and damage ability up close, he's the most powerful offensive class in the game.

And for more proof, here's Enigma, one of the best scouts in the game, tearing up the heavier classes apart:

http://www.noobflicks.com/watch/3377/anonymous_scout

http://www.noobflicks.com/watch/4947/pug_highlights

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006

come to pyro daddy...

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: postmortemIA

come to pyro daddy...

dude, i eat pyros for breakfast as scout, it's not even funny. Pyro is the worst combat class.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: RallyMaster

The G36E is incredibly overpowered. I play medic a lot and that thing is like a mini-sniper on maps like Wake Island. I don't get TF2 very much either even though I've played it for quite a while. I eventually went back to BF2 as well because it just feels more natural to me. I guess the modern weapons (and the inclusion of vehicles) definitely make BF2 less random than TF2 is. IMO BF2 has a much steeper learning curve should you want to master all the classes.

I don't know how you can stand getting pounded in the ass by air all the time in BF2.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I wonder if the Force-A-Nature will do more damage? I didn't see anything indicating it would from the scout update page. I can't wait for this update. I love the scout!

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Originally posted by: 40Hands
I wonder if the Force-A-Nature will do more damage? I didn't see anything indicating it would from the scout update page. I can't wait for this update. I love the scout!

What I understood from the description is that it seems the gun will be similar to the scattergun in terms of damage, but each (close ranged) hit will have an airblast type effect on the person being shot, knocking them back. Also, you can fire a shot while in the air to gain an extra "jump." It definitely sounds like a powerful gun, but you only have 2 shots and a slow reload (1 shot if you want to use that extra jump). Definitely seems like a weapon geared towards the better scout players who are accurate with their shots.