Talk Racist and get hit

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Ride the subway every day, never seen anything like this happen before.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
So, in the interest of making the peace I ask this:

Watch the video again. The man from the get go is physically threatening people and rushing them. The first words you hear him yell in the video is "I'll beat your ass too! What are you going to do bitch!?!"

I, as a person in that crowd would feel physically threatened. I would also fear for the safety of others on the platform.

Was the guy's response brutal? Yes. But it's rather silly to expect a measured, perfect response in the heat of the moment from an untrained bystander who feels threatened. When someone feels threatened, fight or flight kicks in. If it is fight, they go into a rage and will fight far past what a bunch of people looking on safely from their computers at home think is reasonable.

As for me, if I'm going to hit someone, I'm going to keep hitting them until they stop moving. It is a mistake to hit someone and let them get back up.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Was the guy's response brutal? Yes. But it's rather silly to expect a measured, perfect response in the heat of the moment from an untrained bystander who feels threatened.
Even for someone with extensive training, once you perceive a situation as a threat, it triggers a completely different response, which is why police shooting situations almost always escalate in the blink of an eye. Even for soldiers, as I am sure you are aware, there exist rules of engagement where they have to very quickly assess and respond proportionally to the perceived threat, with considerable consequences should they get it wrong.

As for me, if I'm going to hit someone, I'm going to keep hitting them until they stop moving. It is a mistake to hit someone and let them get back up.
Let’s take race out of the mix and put you in the place of the guy who responds to the crazed racist. If a metro cop arrived as you were beating the snot out of the crazed racist and he saw you pushing him dangerously close to the edge of the tracks, who do you think he would he perceive as the threat?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Even for someone with extensive training, once you perceive a situation as a threat, it triggers a completely different response, which is why police shooting situations almost always escalate in the blink of an eye. Even for soldiers, as I am sure you are aware, there exist rules of engagement where they have to very quickly assess and respond proportionally to the perceived threat, with considerable consequences should they get it wrong.

Let’s take race out of the mix and put you in the place of the guy who responds to the crazed racist. If a metro cop arrived as you were beating the snot out of the crazed racist and he saw you pushing him dangerously close to the edge of the tracks, who do you think he would he perceive as the threat?

First paragraph, irrelevant. The man is not a trained law enforcement professional and thus his response when threatened and witnessing the immediate threat of others has no expectation of meeting any rules of engagement or measure.

Second paragraph. In a non-racist society the cop would detain all actors, interview witnesses, view the tape, and release the defender and arrest the aggressor who was threatening everyone on that platform.

Watch the video again. The man from the get go is physically threatening people and rushing them. The first words you hear him yell in the video is "I'll beat your ass too! What are you going to do bitch!?!"

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Any idea why he started hitting you. Was he trying to steal your money?
Nope . . . or at least not that I know of. He yanked a big chunk of my hair out. I think he was street trash who say a "long hair" and took his weasel opportunity to get large on me. In the end, it was a big mistake on his part. I was tuning him up pretty well even as latecomers were trying to pull me off of him.

Reactions: cirrrocco

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
First paragraph, irrelevant. The man is not a trained law enforcement professional and thus his response when threatened and witnessing the immediate threat of others has no expectation of meeting any rules of engagement or measure.
I was agreeing with you so not sure why you would dismiss that as irrelevant.

!Second paragraph. In a non-racist society the cop would detain all actors, interview witnesses, view the tape, and release the defender and arrest the aggressor who was threatening everyone on that platform.
In a non racist society, the cop is still going to react first to the immediate threat, and that is one person over-powering another person dangerously close to a subway line, regardless of who started it.

I am not disputing that. The crazed racist was acting in an unpredictable, threatening and dangerous manner. I would go into that situation assuming he had a weapon and look to drop and contain him as quickly as possible.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I was agreeing with you so not sure why you would dismiss that as irrelevant.

In a non racist society, the cop is still going to react first to the immediate threat, and that is one person over-powering another person dangerously close to a subway line, regardless of who started it.

I am not disputing that. The crazed racist was acting in an unpredictable, threatening and dangerous manner. I would go into that situation assuming he had a weapon and look to drop and contain him as quickly as possible.

Then we are in agreement.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its weird somebody got beat for talking shit, yet nazis and klansmen were marching around Virginia with guns and ran over 19 people and killed one and so far nothing has happened to any of them.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Its weird somebody got beat for talking shit, yet nazis and klansmen were marching around Virginia with guns and ran over 19 people and killed one and so far nothing has happened to any of them.

The one guy who did that is at trial right now no? So what do you mean?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
The black guy clearly stated as he was hitting the guy AFTER the sucker punch that originally put him down, , "call another mother fooker a ni**a" . that's why he hit him, not because of any threat to people.

Watch and listen

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
The black guy clearly stated as he was hitting the guy AFTER the sucker punch that originally put him down, , "call another mother fooker a ni**a" . that's why he hit him, not because of any threat to people.

Watch and listen
What's your point exactly?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

They do real police work in Charlottesville, im impressed.

Here in Philadelphia, in the neighborhoods near Temple college this happens all year long. Except the college kids are white and are often robbed and there girlfriends beaten. Sad thing is, it hardly ever makes the news or newspaper, and you never ever hear of an arrest made.

I think just last year a mob of blacks moving down the street were beating white people for sport, one after the other.

From a face book post...

"I spent last night in the ER at St. Mary's HospitaI. I received a call from my daughter Christina after my sons football game. She was crying, I couldn't understand her, my heart dropped, I became scared, I said what is the matter? Dad, I was jumped, I'm beat up pretty bad. Where r u? Temple, they stole my phone. We're heading to the police station. I do not hear from her until she gets to her apartment. Rage is running through my mind the whole time. She said she is getting a ride home and wants to go to St. Mary's. I find out that her and her 2 male friends where badly beaten by a group of 30-40 black teenagers on their way home from the Temple football game. This happened after they got off the subway at Broad and Cecil B Moore. These sick animals held her down and kicked and stomped on her repeatedly. Thank god, the people from the pizza place intervened. They arrested 2 people at the scene. I have not let Christina out of my sight, she is resting. Every part of her body is badly bruised, it makes me cry just thinking about it. No broken bones. If you have children at Temple, tell them to be careful. Please keep Christina Lauletta in your thoughts."
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209642993903842&id=1598875525

This was the article written about it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-philly/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4443fb34a15f

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Um, not at all. I said I'd get punched for my efforts. What are you on about in this reply to me?

So you are trying to insight someone to hit you? is that not against the law also? so what its self defense instead of assault? in mutual combat both people are not charged with assault? i dont know im not the police nor have i been arrested for fighting. I prefer to choke someone out instead of risking manslaughter counts from a street fight. Very easy to put someone in coma or paralyze them. Sure lots of people think racists should be beat up .. paralyzed .. killed .. not sure what you wanted exactly for his punishment. So lets hear it..

You know exactly he was going to assault someone (because he was yelling and acting crazy? ) im fairly sure you are all talk and have not taunted anyone into hitting you first as it most likely would not even work. who cares about words? Threatening family and harm to spouse etc would be a lot more scary then someone being racist.

wonder what kind of jail time you would think assault should be.