Syria claims to fire on Israeli Plane

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
I'm very curious to know what kind of weapons shipment prompted this kind of response.
I would think that Israel would normally wait until the weapons were in Lebanon and not attack in Syrian territory unless it was necessary.
By nailing the weapons in Syria, it shows that Syria is breaking the agreement.

If they waited until they were in lebanon, Syria might be able to point the finger else where.

Also, the longer the delay, the greater chance for the weapons to be lost track of.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
I'm very curious to know what kind of weapons shipment prompted this kind of response.
I would think that Israel would normally wait until the weapons were in Lebanon and not attack in Syrian territory unless it was necessary.

If they waited until they were in lebanon, Syria might be able to point the finger else where.

Also, the longer the delay, the greater chance for the weapons to be lost track of.

Maybe, but Israel was claiming that weapons were pouring in all along.
Why now?
In addition and perhaps stranger than all is the lack of Israeli comment.
If this is just what it was, an attack on illegal weapons shipments, I would think Israel would've been very vocal about it.
Instead all you got was "no comment".
I think something else may have prompted this.

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Maybe, but Israel was claiming that weapons were pouring in all along.
Why now?
In addition and perhaps stranger than all is the lack of Israeli comment.
If this is just what it was, an attack on illegal weapons shipments, I would think Israel would've been very vocal about it.
Instead all you got was "no comment".
I think something else may have prompted this.

Last summer Israel suffered a great blow to its military's might reputation from a terrorist organization Hezbolla, having to fight the biggest terrorist-guerrilla organization in the world and trying to avoid hurting innocent civilians lead Israel into what became its own "Vietnam" so to speak, well you all know the details...
Since then, Israel has suffered many provocations from its neighbors who took Israel to be weak and harmless having seen Israel being driven out of Lebanon by guerrillas.
Israel had to restore its reputation somehow, attacking deep withing Syrian territory, was sending a clear message, saying something like, ok, you had your laughs, now we're back in charge here.
I seriously doubt that if Syria would choose to retaliate that Israel will be as graceful as it was when using surgical precision to attack Hizbolla. Syria can be litteraly sent back to the stone age fairly fast should they decide to test the Israelis temper, who is probably looking for some scapegoat to show its still the boss.
Further more, I'm sure Israel has fully coordinated this attack and got the green light from DC, as well as Turkish permission to user its airspace, thus international pressure won't help the Syrians that much this time.