Syria claims to fire on Israeli Plane

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6981674.stm

Personally I don't think such offenses should go unpunished. Syria has been indirectly attacking Israel through Lebanon for years, and now they're just cutting out the middle man. Regime change is needed in Syria.

------------------------------------------
Thread title has been modified to reflect the facts.

Original:
Syria Attacks Israel

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
We know how good a misrepresentation Syrian news can be.

Syria says its air defences have opened fire on Israeli war planes which had entered Syrian airspace overnight.
Israeli planes had "dropped ammunition" over desert areas of Syria, before being forced to leave, according to the official Syrian news agency, SANA.

Israel radio quoted an unnamed Israeli army source as saying no air strike had been carried out, Reuters agency said.

We know how good Syrian Air Defenses are:p

Syria says it last fired at Israeli warplanes in June 2006, when Israeli aircraft flew over the summer residence of the Syrian president, while he was inside.
The IAf had buzzed the palace and the Syrian Air defenses were completely cuaght off guard.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
That wasn't Israeli cargo planes, it was American pilot Doug Masters and Chappy Sinclair on a secret mission to rescue Doug's dad, being held illegally by a middle-eastern warlord after being shot down during an aerial confrontation within international airspace.

Duh.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk
That wasn't Israeli cargo planes, it was American pilot Doug Masters and Chappy Sinclair on a secret mission to rescue Doug's dad, being held illegally by a middle-eastern warlord after being shot down during an aerial confrontation within international airspace.

Duh.
poor Chappy... I'm going to miss him!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Duh.
That would make a great movie, let?s just hope they don?t F? it up by making a bunch of lousy sequels afterwards.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Gee, if I were Syria I would not be bragging about the fact they cannot actually shoot the planes down. Its more like, oh well, Israel is invading our air space again, lets go cry on world wide TV!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Ummm?. To put a little tin foil hat on here?

IF this story is true and the Israeli planes were flying across the northern part of Syria just where would those planes have been flying too?

If Israel was to stage an attack against Iran which way would they fly?

Perhaps this was a ?dry run? to test how Syria would react?

Lots of questions to think about.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I figured it out!!!

It turns out that Dennis Kucinich is in the Middle East and met with Assad. link
This is obviously an attempt by the Israelis to kill Kucinich before he can become President and cut of all aid to Israel!!!

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

IF this story is true and the Israeli planes were flying across the northern part of Syria just where would those planes have been flying too?

That's a good point. They probably wouldn't get permission to fly over Turkey or Saudi Arabia, and going over Syria and Iraq is a much more direct route. Flying over Iraq is not even an issue even if they did ask for permission...

And then we have this just come in over the wire...

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcont...www.international.nasd

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina

That's a good point. They probably wouldn't get permission to fly over Turkey or Saudi Arabia, and going over Syria and Iraq is a much more direct route. Flying over Iraq is not even an issue even if they did ask for permission...

Russian pricks...

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Regime change is needed in Israel.

They are a bigger threat to the world than Syria.

If you need to ask why, then you need some education.

Hint: They provoke their neighbhors all the time, and when the neighbhors do something about it, then they use it as a rally cry for war. Why was Israeli Cargo Plane flying over Syria? Hmmm... Apparently they didn't have permission. But Syria is the bad guy? :)

If Iran flew over US airspace without permission, wouldn't we fire on them? I would friggen hope so!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6981674.stm

Personally I don't think such offenses should go unpunished. Syria has been indirectly attacking Israel through Lebanon for years, and now they're just cutting out the middle man. Regime change is needed in Syria.

This was a provoked legitimate response and no one was hurt.

Syria may have a lot to answer for, this isn?t it.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonb
If Iran flew over US airspace without permission, wouldn't we fire on them? I would friggen hope so!
The difference being that we'd actually be able to hit them... :cool:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Well the OP obviously succeeded in deceiving people with his thread title (I see the Anandtech Moderator revised his title to reflect the facts- but the title is still dead wrong!)

There is no place in the news article that says it was cargo planes. Furthermore the Syrian claim is specifically that it fired on warplanes. Yet the thread title is suggesting that even the Syrians are claiming they fired on some "cargo planes"..

If the thread title was modified to reflect the facts I cannot imagine what it was like before....

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005

Hint: They provoke their neighbhors all the time, and when the neighbhors do something about it, then they use it as a rally cry for war. Why was Israeli Cargo Plane flying over Syria? Hmmm... Apparently they didn't have permission. But Syria is the bad guy? :)

you have spent way too much time sucking exhaust fumes haven't you?

Israel is the only country in the middle east where Jews, Christians, and Muslims, can live together as neighbors, vote, and attend the religious edifice of their choice without being subject to being killed.

Can you tell me which other Middle Eastern countries allow Jews and Christians to freely attend to their places of worship and openly proclaim their religion?

So, I would assume by your logic that rockets being launched into Israel is because they secretly want them to launch rockets at day care centers?

Syria is the bad guy simply because of the crap the pulled in Lebanon, including the assassination of a respected leader there who didn't agree with them. They were the bad guy in 67 and 73 but got their asses handed to them each time and now rely on bed wetters in the United States to take a stand for them, little cry baby pee pants who have no investment (physical or otherwise) in the region but amazingly are involed on forums - which involve no personal risk.

Look, you can travel to Israel and probably do about anything you please, visit any holy shirne of your choice in your religion's predominant outfit and not have a problem, try that in Syria. Oh, while in Syria speak out against the government and see where you spend the night, if you last that long

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
For all those who are lambasting or ridiculing Syria about this (Nebor, Eaglekeeper, especially Shivetya)....

have you thought about the fact that it is SYRIA'S AIRSPACE. If a FOREIGN COUNTRY enters your territory UNAUTHORIZED - be it WARPLANES or CARGO-PLANES (I just read this story on BBC I have NO idea where it mentioned Cargo-planes...and even if they were, I doubt they are there to provide "aid relief"!) you have EVERY RIGHT to fire.

Nebor - your comment is absolutely silly when you state "now they are cutting out the Middle Man and going directly for Israel" - uhhhh this is in SYRIAN airspace, you have the ISRAELIS violating ANOTHER countries airspace. go ahead and argue "but in the past they have been fighting". - They have, but if that is the case then Israel's actions are simply part of a long drawn out battle, and Syria's response is thus equally acceptable .

Eaglekeeper - Israeli misrepresentation is just as effective, if not more. Both sides play propaganda, and here in the USA the Israelis do a much more effective job at it.

Its ridiculous how being pro israeli one can be...If Canada (assuming they have some :p) flew unauthorized planes connected to the military in US airspace and followed through with "no comment", we would think its RIDICULOUS if those aligned with Canada said "the USA should stop bitching- hahaha The Canuks could have easily nailed their president last time when they caught them off suprise!". Of course we would be angry...

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: lozina

Russian pricks...

They are looking for revelvance when the whole world doesn't see them as much of anything anymore. The problem Russia faces is that many of the countries that left the Soviet Union are doing far better than they are. So all they are left with is Saber rattling

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

So if we couldn't, would that justify their actions?

Lets be reasonable here now...

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Shivetya

Israel is the only country in the middle east where Jews, Christians, and Muslims, can live together as neighbors, vote, and attend the religious edifice of their choice without being subject to being killed.

Can you tell me which other Middle Eastern countries allow Jews and Christians to freely attend to their places of worship and openly proclaim their religion?
Not currently at all, but prior to the creation of Israel the entire Mid East had Jews Christians and Muslims free attend their places of worship. So I'll give you that- but at the same time even freedom of worship for Muslims is restricted either by a) governments whose leaders only what their version of the religion to be practiced (doesn't mean they have to follow it - The Sauds being a great example of those who ignore the laws of their own country while allowing extremist radical clerics to impose draconian laws on everyone else) b) governments who simply want to control religion

So, I would assume by your logic that rockets being launched into Israel is because they secretly want them to launch rockets at day care centers?

..... no comment to this.

But to argue that Israel DOESN'T benefit from a perpetual state of war, chaos, and instability in the Mid East is RIDICULOUS. do you know how much land they have continuously taken away under the guise of "defense" and "buffer" and then promptly fill them with more people (See West Bank)?

Syria is the bad guy simply because of the crap the pulled in Lebanon, including the assassination of a respected leader there who didn't agree with them. They were the bad guy in 67 and 73 but got their asses handed to them each time and now rely on bed wetters in the United States to take a stand for them, little cry baby pee pants who have no investment (physical or otherwise) in the region but amazingly are involed on forums - which involve no personal risk.
Syria's crap in lebanon is wrong - only a Syrian government official would say otherwise. But what does that to deal with what we are disussing at hand? And remember - 67 was an attack by Israel.
If you want to talk about people being involved on forums without personal risk - look at the crowd jeering for an attack on pretty much every target in the Middle East. They are the ones who want war, while often don't serve in it, and then profit from it later. A lot of your comments go both ways
Look, you can travel to Israel and probably do about anything you please, visit any holy shirne of your choice in your religion's predominant outfit and not have a problem, try that in Syria. Oh, while in Syria speak out against the government and see where you spend the night, if you last that long

Wanna bet? I'd laugh my arse off if I had free access to most anywhere in Israel, especially if I didn't have to put up with loads of B.S. (want to hear about discrimination stories against Arabs? Want to hear about what a biatch it is to get into West Bank, or listen to stories about Isrealis taunting Palestinians when they have to get an Israeli visa stamped to enter the occupied territories?).
I'm not going to pretend neighboring Arab countries are a cake walk either. Even being a Muslim in those countries does not guarantee anything, unless you are explicitly pro government. Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, Eygpt, etc. etc. all have shown that movement is easily limited and if your religious views aren't in line with what the government accepts....tough beans
I'm sure if one is a pro Israeli Christian or Jew (maybe even Muslim? But then again Mossad would probably think you are a spy) then life is easy.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: magomago
For all those who are lambasting or ridiculing Syria about this (Nebor, Eaglekeeper, especially Shivetya)....

have you thought about the fact that it is SYRIA'S AIRSPACE. If a FOREIGN COUNTRY enters your territory UNAUTHORIZED - be it WARPLANES or CARGO-PLANES (I just read this story on BBC I have NO idea where it mentioned Cargo-planes...and even if they were, I doubt they are there to provide "aid relief"!) you have EVERY RIGHT to fire.

Eaglekeeper - Israeli misrepresentation is just as effective, if not more. Both sides play propaganda, and here in the USA the Israelis do a much more effective job at it.

My comment #1 was that the Syria news at times claims things regarding conflicts with Israel and happenings in Lebanon that never happen and/or distorts the Syrian involvement.

Take their statements with a couple of grains of salt.

It is possible that an Israeli aircraft was in the area - however, I doubt that it would be dropping ammo crates on a solo flight.

Comment #2
When there was the problem with Hamas kidnapping an Israeli soldier in Gaza last year, Syria was expressing support for Hamas and the senior Hamas leadership was based out of Syria.

Israel buzzed the palace in a demonstration to show that Syria airspace could be entered with no problems. It was a show of force against Syrian sponsorship/support.
The Syrian Air Defense was unable to fire weapons against this demonstration, let alone mount any type of challenge.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: magomago

So if we couldn't, would that justify their actions?

Lets be reasonable here now...
I didnt try to justify any of the actions... and I won't do so now.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Shivetya

Please stick to facts.

What crap did Syria pull in Lebanon? There is only an allegation Syria was involved with the assassination of Hariri and the investigation is still ongoing. There are also allegations that Israeli operatives were behind it, so can I just go around blurting that Israelis killed him?

They were the bad guys in 67? When Israel launched a pre-emptive surprise attack on them? OMG you are delirious...

And Jews and Christians can practice freely in Iran...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5367892.stm

You really need to stop rehashing propaganda and lies...

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Well we will see what information falls out. I never said I trusted the Syrian version of the story - but as it stands apparently there was was some kind of Israeli Air craft that entered Syrian Airspace. The IDF itself never denied the information, it only had no comment. I agree that it dropped "ammo" made no sense - maybe it dropped fuel so it could maneuver more easily, maybe nothing was dropped. We'll have to realistically wait to see what information materializes and then cross reference it to other sources and hopefully get a better idea of what had occured. In a game of propaganda, this is a realistic approach.

As for comment 2 - thanks for fleshing that out. That simply sounds like a long standing feud that has been going on. Israel and or Syria does A and the other responds with B. It only serves to remind that unless an actual solution is implemented to the Palestinian crisis and all border disputes are resolved, then a VERY ugly war will break out...and only those lusting for blood want war to be the means by which the Palestinian dilemma and border disputes are resolved.